Looking to buy some Forgotten Gems

irusjayd

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Alpha Protocol is interesting, for sure, and has some cool narrative elements, but it's a tough recommend because it's such a technical mess on PS3, and pretty broken in terms of it's balancing different builds.

Technical mess on PS3? I have played it like 20 times on PS3 and obviously platinumed it too, and the only technical problem I ever had was the game hard freezing once or twice, needing to restart the console - that's it.

I agree about the brokenness build wise - the right way is playing stealthy and upgrading stealth and pistols. Of course if you don't like stealth this game is not for you.

• Like 2

Enslaved Odyssey to the West was a lot of fun I would highly recommend it and the plat is pretty easy just kind of annoying with the collectibles.  It's a really fun action adventure game plus it has the master of motion capture acting Andy Serkis portraying the main character.

Spec Ops The Line was a pretty fun shooter and had a surprisingly good story attached to it.  I did not attempt the plat but I hear its pretty rough.

Back to the Future and Tales of Monkey Island were both pretty entertaining early Telltale games.  A bit more goofy than most of their later titles but still very solid and underrated point and click adventures.

Far Cry Blood Dragon is by far the best far cry mini expansion game or whatever you want to call it.  Over the top and hilarious if you're a fan of cheesy 80's action movies you'll love it.

• Like 3

It seems that lollipop chainsaw was really liked by this community. i will look into getting it this week, hopefully. 

For me I would say

Wet is underrated. It's not perfect and trophy wise it is incredibly difficult,  but it's got fun gameplay and great style.

Enslaved- was good. A little grindy and a lot of orbs to collect. Beautiful and the traversal was pretty fun. 

puppeteer- is a fun platformer, great design and atmosphere, but the collectibles suck ass.  you basically have to play through the first four chapter to get all of the superpowers then go and start from chapter 1 to get all the collectibles. and, of course, some aren't trackable. but the game is easy and wouldn't take long to finish.

Remember me- It was a great game that didn't really deliver on its trailers. The erasing/ changing memories portion of the game should've been expanded on, but the story graphics, gameplays and setting was fantastic. It was an easy platinum, but with most games you'd have to follow a collectibles guide.

• Like 3

Condemned 2: Bloodshot. Can't believe no one mentioned it yet. It's a great game, even if the second half could be better.

Armored Core For Answer. I fucking love Armored Core and the games don't get enough love.

The Godfather Don's Edition. It not AMAZING, but it is a very good GTA style open world game that really goes all in with the movie license and makes the best of it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Star Wars The Force Unleashed - I wouldn't rate it as highly as some of my favorite Star Wars games like Jedi Academy and Battlefront, but it's still pretty good. An average hack n slash game with a Star Wars setting. Can be really challenging at times, especially if you aren't using the instant healing exploit. Has a sequel but I haven't played it yet. I heard it wasn't as well received, but the gameplay looks similar.

Sonic Unleashed - Not sure if this one counts as forgotten, but I'd consider it an overlooked and underrated game. It's not without its flaws, it can be a bit jank at parts, and some werehog sections can drag out, but I think the overall experience is more positive than it is negative. Worth checking out if you like Sonic/platform games. Expect to pour in a lot of sweat and effort if you're going for the platinum though. The Eggmanland hotdog missions are no joke.

Katamari Forever - It's a Katamari game, what's more to say? I've found every game in this series to be enjoyable, even if there is a lot of overlap with level repeats. I'm not sure if this series is as niche as it used to be since the remake of the first game just came out not too long ago. I guess it's debatable to call it a forgotten gem, but it's a gem nonetheless.

Way of The Samurai 3 and 4 - These games are great. They don't hold your hand and expect you to just explore the world and make your own choices about what you want your character to do, which can drastically change the story as a result. It's a unique experience the way these games do it, check them out if you want to play something a bit different. The games have multiple paths and endings to take which offer a lot of replayability.

The Awakened Fate Ultimatum - I assume this is part of a series of games, but I've only ever played this specific one so I know nothing about it. It's basically a mystery dungeon game so if you've played one of those you'll know what to expect and will be able to determine if you're interested or not. I wouldn't rate it as highly as say, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but I still found it to be entertaining.

Deadly Premonition - Don't know if this game is still niche either, but it certainly was when I first bought and played it when it was still an Xbox 360 exclusive. One of my favorite video games of all time. The gameplay is a middling, and at times a slightly tedious experience, but everything else absolutely carries it and creates a memorable game that I still frequently think about years later. The music, the characters, the story, they all work together to create something truly mesmerizing, and even polarizing every now and then. Play this if you want a game to get absorbed in for a little while. One of the only games I can think of where IGN re-reviewed the game after initially giving it a terrible rating because of its strong cult following.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm sure others have already mentioned games like Lollipop Chainsaw, X-Men Origins Wolverine, Alpha Protocol, Alice Madness Returns, and Dante's Inferno, and I can vouch for those games too. They're all pretty good.

• Like 3

On 6/15/2021 at 4:23 PM, NonsenseOblige said:

Condemned 2: Bloodshot. Can't believe no one mentioned it yet. It's a great game, even if the second half could be better.

I liked the first one so much better.

It can be found for cheap on Xbox at around $10 or it's $3.75 on Steam summer sale right now which is a steal.

Not sure if already mentioned in this thread; Tokyo Jungle.

I bought the game when it came out for Japan before every where else and had issues getting one of the trophies due to limited Japanese knowledge, had no issue buying it a second time when it finally released in the US just to get the trophy completion because it was that fun.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 8:55 AM, mcnichoj said:

I liked the first one so much better.

It can be found for cheap on Xbox at around $10 or it's $3.75 on Steam summer sale right now which is a steal.

Not sure if already mentioned in this thread; Tokyo Jungle.

I bought the game when it came out for Japan before every where else and had issues getting one of the trophies due to limited Japanese knowledge, had no issue buying it a second time when it finally released in the US just to get the trophy completion because it was that fun.

First one is great, but it's not on PS3.

Dragon age origins and dragons age 2, rain, brutal legends, game of thrones (not the tell tale version), dragons dogma, white Knight chronicles 1 and 2, war if the north, risen 2, darkness 2, deus ex human revolution, two worlds 2, dantes inferno and sacred 2, theres quite a lot on ps now 

On 6/11/2021 at 5:20 AM, OBSTINATIO said:

3) Alice looks and runns very poorly: another game which didn't age well and I really wouldn't recommend unless you are very intrigued by the setting. 

I remember Madness Returns running fine when I played through it. Now the original game, American McGee's Alice, that you can play as free DLC...that ran not so good at times.

Some of the things recommended like Dragon's Dogma, Sleeping Dogs, and Vanquish have PS4 versions now.

I could second a lot of games like El Shaddai and Killer is Dead, but I'll stick to a few not mentioned.

Shatter (digital only) is one of the best brick breakers I've ever played, it is such a shame it has not come to a newer platform. In addition to deflecting the ball on contact with the paddle you also have an attract and repel function to help you control the angle of the ball. The stages also take different shapes and there are power-ups and bosses.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWrFZMTlR7o

Spider-man: Shattered Dimension (disc only) - 4 different spider-men, each with slightly different powers and abilities trying to fix the same crisis in their own time periods. Vanilla spider-man, symbiote spider-man, Noir Spiderman, and future Spider-man. Definitely the best Spider-man game on the PS3, the 4 different styles of gameplay help with variety to prevent the gameplay from getting stale. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-7iyF0bSwI

Lost Dimension (disc and digital) - Part turn based tactical RPG from a 3rd person perspective (like Valkyria Chronicles) part Danganronpa style "whose the traitor among us?" investigation. Your team of psychics has been hastily assembled to climb the tower of a madman who has threatened to destroy the world by taking control of the Earth's nuclear arsenal, but as soon as you enter, many of your memories are wiped. This is because hiding among your party are traitors waiting to be activated. So as you climb the tower and defeat your enemies you have to constantly swap in and mix and match the various characters and use your psychic abilities to figure out by process of elimination who is the traitor. Each floor, everyone votes who they think the traitor is, and that person is killed and converted into an item called Fate Materia that can be equipped onto another character so that they can make use of their abilities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sat6lSkSnPw

Edited by Guardian_owl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GSW_Solidkarma said:

It’s been mentioned a couple times but Rain. I believe it’s a digital only game.

It was physical in Japan and Asia. Asian release was called Lost in the Rain, I believe and had a separate trophy list. Japanese release has no english unfortunately but the game itself wasn't text heavy anyway... still I'd wish they put a language select in.

Edited by VegaMan-X4

The truly forgotten ones are the Playstation Move games since they aren't on PS Now, highlights from me are:

Sorcery:- Linear spell casting action game, with the ablity to combine spells (e.g. fire+tornado= firenado)

Medieval Moves Deadmunds Quest: On rails with sword&shield/ bow&arrow/ ninja stars 

Tumble: Jenga, brought to you by the folks who made Until Dawn... No really...

Diggs Night Crawler: Storybook point and click-esque game using the Wonderbook

Echochrome ii: Now with shadows, (this game holds a guiness world record for longest song in a game soundtrack)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Guardian_owl said:

Lost Dimension (disc and digital) - Part turn based tactical RPG from a 3rd person perspective (like Valkyria Chronicles) part Danganronpa style "whose the traitor among us?" investigation. Your team of psychics has been hastily assembled to climb the tower of a madman who has threatened to destroy the world by taking control of the Earth's nuclear arsenal, but as soon as you enter, many of your memories are wiped. This is because hiding among your party are traitors waiting to be activated. So as you climb the tower and defeat your enemies you have to constantly swap in and mix and match the various characters and use your psychic abilities to figure out by process of elimination who is the traitor. Each floor, everyone votes who they think the traitor is, and that person is killed and converted into an item called Fate Materia that can be equipped onto another character so that they can make use of their abilities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sat6lSkSnPw

Now you really sold me on this game, I must buy it!

May not all be great but 

Kung fu panda 2 

megamind

mirrors edge

terminator 

Xmen

the Smurf’s 2

where the wild things are 

legends of the guardians

rango

Happy feet two  

spec ops the line

operation flashpoint

life is strange 

Battlefield bad company 

assassins creed 

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up pretty much every worthwhile disc-only game around 6 years ago off gohastings.com. Stuff like El Shaddai, Splatterhouse, Atelier Rorona Plus, Trinity Universe, Afrika, Skate 3, 3D Dot Game Heroes, and more, all around the $8 range and they were all CIB.

The real forgotten gems are imports like Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra, Toro! Let's Party, Aquanaut's Holiday, E,X. Troopers and a slew of others. Also picked them up cheap. The only absolute hidden gem I wasn't able to snag was OutRun Online Arcade, as it was only available in the European PS Store and was delisted in under 2 years. Would pay an arm and leg for to get my hands on that game!

• Like 1

Tales of Graces (just for that battle system ?)

Ico & Shadow of the Colossus

Prince of Persia 2008

SSX 2012

ibb & obb

Jet Set Radio

Nights into dreams…

Oddworld Stranger’s Wrath

Papo & Yo (“Ico 4” kinda)

Storm (delisted?)

Savage Moon

Beyond Good & Evil

Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (relisted?)

Eat Them!

Skydrift

Knytt Underground

Landit Bandit

Dungeon Twister

Red Johnson’s Chronicles + One Against All

Sanctum 2

(so far what I didn’t see already mentioned, this also reminded me of an idea of being able to give any of the games on your list a ? if you’d recommend them at all. I excluded anything that was also on and especially updated for PS4)

• Like 1

If you dont have a switch I recommend getting Deadly Premonition on the PS3! It has quirky conversations and a horror aspect to it. Some people find the humor weird but its funny to me! Drink coffee while playing the game helps to get you more immersed haha

• 3 weeks later...