#AllowNewVitaReleases #SaveVitaMessaging

Lord_BenWon

Hi everyone,

As you know Sony plans to close the PS Vita messaging service on June 28th.
However, the messaging service is very useful. 
Playing on the Vita and not being able to send messages to friends and other users will be very uncomfortable. 
And the worst problem is that with the Message service closure, the trophies envolving game-invites will be unobtainable.

Just to note, I understand that as time goes some features and servers less used need to be retired. For example, if Sony was going to close the message exchange service between PS Vita and other Playstation devices like they did last year with the PS3, I think it would be understandable.
But the ability to send messages between PS Vita devices is still important and needed.

I wrote to Sony to share my feedback regarding the Messaging service through Better Business Bureau website here: Sony Interactive Entertainment, LLC | Better Business Bureau® Profile (bbb.org) and I got this answer from Sony: 

Thank you for contacting Sony Computer Entertainment America, LLC (SIE LLC) regarding the above-reference Better Business Bureau case# *******.

SIE thanks ***** for his PS Vita messaging service feedback, SIE has no further comment regarding the decision to terminate the PS Vita messaging service.

Please note that this response is not an admission, or a waiver of any rights that SIE LLC may have at law or in equity, all of which are expressly reserved.

Matthew
Consumer Services
SIE LLC

Another matter that I would like to highlight is that their decision to stop allowing new games and patches from July 20th is a huge disrespect to the developers. Sony sold a PS Vita dev-kit in February and the developers were not warned in advance, so some games got canceled and others are being rushed. Also with Sony no longer accepting new patches, this means there will be no chance of unobtainable trophies and in-game bugs being fixed.

At this point in time, I think that it's understandable to stop new game releases for PS Vita but they did it the wrong way giving a short notice. They should extend the deadline to submit new digital games to the PS Store.

So, as you see they are always hearing the feedback from the customers. And as you should remember they backtrack on the decision to close the PS Store because of feedback from customers.

So, please contact Sony as many as you can (through customer support, Better Business Bureau, social media, tagging some Sony's employees, etc.) and share your feedback to try to convince them to extend the deadline to submit new games and to let the Messaging feature working.
Also, please support these hashtags on twitter: #SaveVitaMessaging and #AllowNewVitaReleases

It would be very much appreciated if you could support this movement.
If they get lots of feedback, maybe they'll listen, but even if they don't, it's important to try and make some noise about this.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lord_BenWon said:

Sony sold a PS Vita dev-kit in February and the developers were not warned in advance, so some games got canceled and others are being rushed.

Word on the street is Sony hasn't charged for dev-kits since the PS3. They handed out PS4 and Vita dev kits like candy to any developer who registered. Also that the developers were informed that they would not be able to submit new Vita content past July 20th, including games and patches well before February.

No need to sensationalize aspects to make your point that you still want Sony to allow developers to make new Vita games and support the Messaging system. Just stick to why you want those to remain supported.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Word on the street is Sony hasn't charged for dev-kits since the PS3. They handed out PS4 and Vita dev kits like candy to any developer who registered. Also that the developers were informed that they would not be able to submit new Vita content past July 20th, including games and patches well before February.

No need to sensationalize aspects to make your point that you still want Sony to allow developers to make new Vita games and support the Messaging system. Just stick to why you want those to remain supported.

If they charge money for dev-kits or not I don't know.

But I can't imagine Sony sending an all-new Vita dev-kit to developers without any cost.

Anyway, by Sony sending dev-kits to developers gives the developers a false sense of confidence that they can continue developing new games for the Vita in the foreseeable future.

Regarding the ability to submit new Vita content past July 20th, developers were not warned about it before.

They were just informed when Sony announced the Stores closure.

Also, it's not sensationalize aspects when you tell the truth and have sources that colaborate with that.

Here are my sources: Colin Moriarty on Twitter: "When concerning today’s Vita Store shutdown rumor, I totally forgot: We ordered from Sony (and were given no problem) an all-new Vita dev kit a month ago. Our new game is being developed for Vita; it’ll of course be everywhere else, too. So... we shall see? https://t.co/0snp1MKdT4" / Twitter

Colin Moriarty on Twitter: "Just to follow this up: Other devs we know that are actively making Vita games right now have also heard nothing from Sony. We've obviously reached out to our dev liaison for more info. https://t.co/PVrfVGF6eo" / Twitter

2 minutes ago, Lord_BenWon said:

First source - "Ordered" not paid for.

And the second statement is pretty vague. "heard nothing from Sony" doesn't mean that the information wasn't provided to Colin or other alleged developers. The developer agreements have had the date included in them since Sony set the date. Just because people don't read the agreements doesn't mean information wasn't provided.

5 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

And where is your source to justify that the dev-kit in question was delivered for free?

Listen, I was already kind with you when I said that I didn't know for sure if Sony charges for dev-kits or not. But even if it was delivered for free, Sony sending dev-kits to developers gives the developers a false sense of confidence that they can continue developing new games for the Vita in the foreseeable future.

However, after a quick search I discovered that Johnson from Lillymo Games revealed that his studio had purchased a Vita devkit in February.

It's clear in the last paragraph of this article from IGN PSP, PS Vita and PS3 Store Closure Will Lead to Over 2,000 Games Going Away (ign.com)

16 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

And the second statement is pretty vague. "heard nothing from Sony" doesn't mean that the information wasn't provided to Colin or other alleged developers. The developer agreements have had the date included in them since Sony set the date. Just because people don't read the agreements doesn't mean information wasn't provided.

And again, where is your source to justify that the information was provided to the developers?

I think we can see that I presented multiple sources to justify my points and you didn't present any. Your just distorting reality trying to defend Sony.

The life of a fanboy is difficult, right? ??

• Like 1

To OP, Daiv is more than likely meaning with the sensationalizing the fact that we get a bitching thread here every month with some fuckwit making a change.org thing asking for keeping servers up or bringing them back because they "really like the game and really just want to play the game again online" while we all know that we're degenerate fucks here just for the trophies.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lord_BenWon said:

Your just distorting reality trying to defend Sony.

I'm not defending Sony. I actually think Sony should figure out how to support Messages and keep accepting Vita submissions from the developers who actually kept the Vita alive longer than Sony planned to.

But sure, go ahead and paint me how you want to.

28 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Actually, Colin specifically mentioned on his podcast that he bought a Vita dev kit from Sony. So no, they're not free. He also makes it pretty clear that as someone who was developing a Vita game, he wasn't informed about the store closure ahead of time. The slew of Vita game cancelations after the store closure announcement suggests that the developers of those games weren't informed either. I find it strange how eager you are to defend Sony here when it's pretty clear they fucked up.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, totallycrushed said:

And this is the kind of shit that makes people not want to follow your cause. The fuck are you doing?

That was just a simple joke, with no bad intentions. However, all the arguments and sources that I have provided to justify my points are correct.

1 hour ago, Lord_BenWon said:
If they get lots of feedback, maybe they'll listen, but even if they don't, it's important to try and make some noise about this.

Surely if they don’t listen this just becomes yet another petition / hashtag campaign that’s shouting into the wind?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord_BenWon said:

That was just a simple joke, with no bad intentions. However, all the arguments and sources that I have provided to justify my points are correct.

it doesn’t matter when you decide to shit on the userbase right away. Do you honestly think that a sony fan would want these features gone? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, shxrpay said:

It's just not gonna happen. Sony's never gonna get nearly as much backlash for this as the store closures, which was the only reason they decided not to close them in the first place.

Probably you are right, but it doesn't cost nothing to send 1 or 2 messages to Sony.

That's what I am asking for.

Edited by Lord_BenWon
  • Like 2

They should at the very minimum make it so that messages sent from the vita can only be read on the vita like how they made the ps3 a while back. That way at least we wont have to worry about the dozen or so games that require you to invite people through messaging. I understand ps5(and maybe ps4 too) is getting discord next near which is likely the biggest factor in this decision but if they are able to leave the ps3s messaging system in its limited pre vita state it shouldn't be too hard to make a limited state like that for vita as well.

3 minutes ago, jgm4789 said:

They should at the very minimum make it so that messages sent from the vita can only be read on the vita like how they made the ps3 a while back. That way at least we wont have to worry about the dozen or so games that require you to invite people through messaging. I understand ps5(and maybe ps4 too) is getting discord next near which is likely the biggest factor in this decision but if they are able to leave the ps3s messaging system in its limited pre vita state it shouldn't be too hard to make a limited state like that for vita as well.

The PS3 messaging system is technically still “current” tech since it’s used within PS Now. I suspect that’s part of the reason why that isn’t getting culled at the same time