Price a bit steep!

28 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Why is it that I so rarely see games like Crypt of the Nercodancer, or White Knight Chronicles, or Star Ocean 4 etc. on the profiles of the folks who make the Price vs. Time to Platinum argument?

Very similar to those who claim 99% of new games are a buggy mess yet don't seem to play new releases. 

Someone correct me if im wrong but wasnt EA the first publisher to start this $70 price point bs with nba 2k20 or whatever so now every major publisher has jumped on board

i would love to see some of these smaller AAA studios go back to $60 for their titles to fuck up the market for some of these bigger, money hungry studios

But when you look back on history, video games have always sold for a premium price so this isnt really much of a change

it just sucks cuz the value of the dollar has decreased but prices have increased so i do understand the argument behind this, its a bit of a double edged sword but the only thing you can do is to be a better/smarter, spender/consumer and hold off and wait for deals and stretch your dollar more

6 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

Someone correct me if im wrong but wasnt EA the first publisher to start this $70 price point bs with nba 2k20 or whatever so now every major publisher has jumped on board

i would love to see some of these smaller AAA studios go back to $60 for their titles to fuck up the market for some of these bigger, money hungry studios

But when you look back on history, video games have always sold for a premium price so this isnt really much of a change

it just sucks cuz the value of the dollar has decreased but prices have increased so i do understand the argument behind this, its a bit of a double edged sword but the only thing you can do is to be a better/smarter, spender/consumer and hold off and wait for deals and stretch your dollar more

2k owns NBA not EA.

7 hours ago, Flipendo52 said:

Either say goodbye to a childhood franchise or pay double the price of the last game eh? Bit harsh. 

Unrelated but why do so many people in this thread think OP is talking about dollars? £70 is nearly $100, we got a much higher price hike here than in the US. You could argue the American price hike is justified but here PS4 games were £50 so £70 is a massive difference

6 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

This bothers me as well. I'm still paying £40-50 or less for most new double or triple A PS4 games, and the most I've ever paid for a new standard physical Switch release is about £45. I could accept a £10 or so increase, but £20-30 is a big nope. I understand people work on these games, I buy most of my games at or around launch even if I don't play them right away, to support the devs, but I'm pretty sure games aren't much more expensive to develop on PS5 to justify the insane price hike.

I hate to generalise, but unfortunately it seems a lot of people in America just seem to assume everything is the same everywhere, or simply don't care. I've lost count of the number of times people on the internet have assumed I or others must also be American over the years of using the net. It's very bizarre.

This has been brought up before, but once again, you aren't comparing prices straight up. The UK price includes your sales tax (VAT) which at 20% (unless it has changed), is representing a significant chunk of that difference. US (and Canadian) retail prices are pre-tax. Now many states have very low sales tax rates, whereas in Canada we are around 13% (other than Alberta which has no provincial sales tax, only federal), but the $70 price can't be compared directly to the £70 because of taxation differences.

The UK price is actually £55 plus tax. £55 is about $75 US, so in terms of base game price, it is pretty close (although you are getting screwed a bit on currency exchange). Really the big differentiating factor in price is the very high UK and EU tax rates.

I’m thinking about playing this game after platinum in challenge mode even though it’s not required which would double playtime to 20 hours. You don’t have to stop with the game because of trophies although I do wish games would make you do more for platinum these days.

7 hours ago, nestamar5 said:

A quality 10 hour game is more valuable than a meh 50 hour one.

This.

I definitely enjoyed every single minute of R&C: Rift Apart and would happily buy it again at full price. I will always prefer quality over quantity (I'm looking at you, Ubisoft).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cleggworth said:

I'm even more eager to play it knowing its "only" 10 -15hrs long. The price is the price, everything else in life has gone up so ?‍♂️

haha - right there with you - it feels like the only thing decreasing nowadays is my free time!

A game with 10 hours of fun spread over 10 hours of gameplay is a welcome change from - lets face is - a lot of other big games which have about 10 hours of fun spread over 40 hours of gameplay!

• Like 3

I’m liking how everyone has their own way of looking at, especially the thoughts on the first page. Nicely done folks.

I will say I’ll probably pass on this til it drops because I can’t justify $70 on a game unless it was a new Rock Band (have 1800 hours in the current one lol… it’s my favorite series.)

Maybe will grab it around $20-30 though.

18 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

haha - right there with you - it feels like the only thing decreasing nowadays is my free time!

A game with 10 hours of fun spread over 10 hours of gameplay is a welcome change from - lets face is - a lot of other big games which have about 10 hours of fun spread over 40 hours of gameplay!

I haven't long finished Immortals Fenyx Rising and its not bad, its actually hilarious but you've done everything you are going to in the first 2 hours. That bugger took me almost 4 weeks to get through and it was just soul crushingly boring towards the end. 10hrs of Ratchet sounds like heaven tbh!

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 1:00 AM, BlackTorito said:

@SuperSmexy500

People that use the inflation argument has literally zero idea how it really works, of course, this is the media’s fault and their ignorance as always (it happens all the time, specially in science).

The index calculated for inflation ratio as it is has NEVER included videogames to start with, it is and index that includes the variation of prices, mostly vital and basic products such as milk, bread, cereals, etc.   The variation from 0,5 €/£/$ of bread up to 1 is 100% (exagerated example, or maybe not...) and its plain stupid to apply the % of those products on to videogames or premium products. It’s an economic index, a pseudo-science,  so people should think ahead before using that.

Haha, no.

Please tell me you don’t think that inflation only impacts certain goods that are part of the basket.

Rising prices (inflation) go across the entire economy.  Cost of living is impacted and that is for all goods and services.  Thankfully, wages also increase to help offset this lack of purchasing power.  Sure, inflation can vary some from one product to the next but it is a very good representation.  Goods/products on the whole were much cheaper in the 80’s than the 90’s than the 00’s than the 10’s and so on.

Also the bread example is not an ideal one as inflation does NOT typically include the food and energy sectors as those prices are much too volatile (wildly dependent on supply spikes).  But the same phenomenon exists. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, diskdocx said:

This has been brought up before, but once again, you aren't comparing prices straight up. The UK price includes your sales tax (VAT) which at 20% (unless it has changed), is representing a significant chunk of that difference. US (and Canadian) retail prices are pre-tax. Now many states have very low sales tax rates, whereas in Canada we are around 13% (other than Alberta which has no provincial sales tax, only federal), but the $70 price can't be compared directly to the £70 because of taxation differences.

The UK price is actually £55 plus tax. £55 is about $75 US, so in terms of base game price, it is pretty close (although you are getting screwed a bit on currency exchange). Really the big differentiating factor in price is the very high UK and EU tax rates.

I know $70 is pre-tax, but as you said, we're still getting screwed over here, even if just by a "bit", and we pretty much always have done when it comes to games and hardware.

I'm unsure if the tax rate has changed, but from what I remember, California has a fairly high tax rate, but they're still only being charged about $10-15 more (again, may have changed/may not be accurate, apologies if so) on top of the standard $70, whereas for the UK, it's more like $20

Yeah, we can't really compare the sales prices due to different prices and taxes worldwide. It's just annoying being in the UK and often being told $70 is "not a lot", when in reality, we're being charged more than that, as if some people forget different currencies and taxes exist.

• Like 1

I don’t attribute length to quality but when they’re asking £60 for a bloody 10 hour experience it’s an absolute joke.

I paid £60 for ME: Legendary Edition and got well over 100 hours, sure it’s three games but still.

If a game is going to be 10 hours to finish and possibly 100% I’d pay at most £40.

The new price tag for games is frankly disgusting and people need to just not do it. Hold off on new games and stop buying them at these ridiculous prices, they’ll drop fast enough when they stop selling as many copies.

• Like 2

Just now, ChanelOberlin494 said:

I don’t attribute length to quality but when they’re asking £60 for a bloody 10 hour experience it’s an absolute joke.

I paid £60 for ME: Legendary Edition and got well over 100 hours, sure it’s three games but still.

That makes Mass Effect LE a great deal, not necessarily R&C a bad one.

If a game is going to be 10 hours to finish and possibly 100% I’d pay at most £40.

Would it really be worth more if they padded it with another 10 hours of filler though? That's what a lot of games do.

Generally, if a game is in the 5-10 hours region, and is full price, or 'AAA' (whatever that term has come to mean now) that is a pretty good indicator it has been fine-tuned and honed to within an inch of its life, and that there won't be any fat on that steak - just the meat.

The new price tag for games is frankly disgusting and people need to just not do it. Hold off on new games and stop buying them at these ridiculous prices, they’ll drop fast enough when they stop selling as many copies.

They'll drop fast anyways - they always do.

Games go on sale faster than ever now, and with deeper cuts - if you are willing to wait. 

And let's face it - as one of very few first party exclusives, this is an absolute shoe-in to be free on PS+ at some point, for those with abundant patience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

There are so many games like that where you are left hating the game because it went on too long.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, diskdocx said:

PS4 games were £50 including tax though, so the price has still increased by a lot more

• Like 1

13 hours ago, djb5f said:

Haha, no.

Please tell me you don’t think that inflation only impacts certain goods that are part of the basket.

Rising prices (inflation) go across the entire economy.  Cost of living is impacted and that is for all goods and services.  Thankfully, wages also increase to help offset this lack of purchasing power.  Sure, inflation can vary some from one product to the next but it is a very good representation.  Goods/products on the whole were much cheaper in the 80’s than the 90’s than the 00’s than the 10’s and so on.

Also the bread example is not an ideal one as inflation does NOT typically include the food and energy sectors as those prices are much too volatile (wildly dependent on supply spikes).  But the same phenomenon exists. 

Haha, yes (?)

Inflation does not impact anything, inflation is the representation of price variation.

You can check whenever you want your country’s index basket of goods and services and how much % do they represent from the whole index, of course the bread is a very good example since most of the index is heavily based on basic goods and services since its value is to represent what is the cost of life at a given time, premium products such as videogames literally have zero impact on such index, thus is ridiculous to apply it to them.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 7:56 AM, nestamar5 said:

A quality 10 hour game is more valuable than a meh 50 hour one.

By this logic I would be paying 50 euros for Journey, a 1 hour experience because it was just such a valuable experience. I would also pay 5 euros for Tales of Symphonia. A 300 hour experience if you do all of it, but it just isn't a quality game, and it aged poorly

Edited by Stardroid

Honestly, the last AAA game I remember buying at full price was way back in 2016. I bought Uncharted 4 right when it came out, along with a PS4. And the next time is going to be when Gran Turismo 7 releases which is when I'm going to buy a PS5. However that game will most likely not come out before late 2022. Ultimately it depends on each individual player whether they see the countervalue of 70 pounds in this game. If you want to spend less, just wait. There are so many games these days that you'll most certainly find something to spend your time on, simply by going through the list of games on this website. You also might wanna gauge how much you're going to get out of a game. With a R&C game there's probably not much else to do aside from playing through the story. With that in mind I definitely don't see the countervalue of 70 £ / 80 € in this game, but this might be different for someone else. With GT7 I won't mind paying full price because it's an important franchise to me and I know that I'll be spending thousands of hours playing it. Looking at it from that perspective the GT titles on my profile are probably the cheapest games I've ever bought (even though that includes the 250 € GT5 Signature Edition), simply because of how much I've been getting out of them. Also having a game you really enjoy playing long-term will save you money indirectly because you're less likely to go out and buy a new game out of sheer boredom. I'm still spending so much time playing GT Sport, who knows how many more games I would've bought had it not been for it.

Edited by Baka_Marimo

I paid £65 for my copy and that is quite expensive.  It took me 15 hours to Platinum and a further 2 hours to get to 100%.

I'm not finished with it yet though, I'm going to play through it on Challenge mode and get all the Omega weapons and upgrade those too!

It’s a lot of money, but I have no issue with supporting high quality developers making a high quality 1-player game, because it means more are made In the future. The game has a lot of charm and heart, so it’s not a bad way to spend your money.  

Instead... be wary about giving your hard earned cash toward EA type cash grabs, a Ubisoft type copy and paste or a pay to win type mobile game designed just to get your money.