Tiny Tina's Wonderlands

New game from Gearbox announced, appears to be a spin off based on the D&D DLC for Borderlands 2; considering that was considered by far one of the best DLCs in the franchise, this could be promising.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/06/10/borderlands-spin-off-tiny-tinas-wonderlands-isnt-what-youre-expecting/

Key points:

1. Full game based on Tiny Tina's fantasy setting
  2. "High fantasy looter shooter"; likely very Borderlands
  3. From the trailer, seems to feature a mix of guns and magic abilities
  4. Customizable characters, multiple classes
  5. Melee weapons may be prominent
  6. Releasing on current and next-gen platforms in early 2022
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, communistwookiee said:

Is this where the good writers were during Borderlands 3's development?

Honestly, I felt like Borderlands 3 was overall better written than Borderlands 2, it just lacked the iconic villain that gave 2 so much memorability. Borderlands 2 had some *terrible* dialogue, namely every line that comes out of Scooter's mouth. To me it was like 2 was bad with a fantastic villain, while 3 was consistently average. Dragon Keep was bizarre enough that it actually benefited from the zany writing though; hopefully they can capture that balance, but I'm doubtful as to whether Dragon Keep is a good basis for an entire game.

27 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I can't stand Tiny Tina, so it's a hard pass from me.

I disliked her for the most part, she's very annoying, but it actually worked okay in Dragon Keep, so maybe we'll get lucky with Wonderlands.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 1

I absolutely disliked Borderlands 3. I haven’t had to drag myself through a game since hunted the demons forge. Found the story incredibly boring(it had its moments however), unlikeable characters, the areas weren’t that great either. Idk just couldn’t get in to it. I loved borderlands 1, 2, and tales, but my God 3 ruined the franchise for me personally. To each their own though. I’ll keep an eye on it, but won’t get my hopes up.

I'm torn. As a MASSIVE Borderlands fan, Borderlands 3 left a bad taste in my mouth (though it's more for the way Gearbox handled the "balancing" and made everything so build focused, rather than the actual game itself)...so it kinda ruined any future hype I might have, I would have been very cautious for a Borderlands 4 announcement. However, I love Tiny Tina, I loved Assault on Dragon's Keep and wanted nothing more than a proper Bunkers & Badasses 2 DLC for BL3 (and we got nothing close to that). 

Who am I kidding? I'm definitely going to play this. Everyone deserves a second chance. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Honestly, I felt like Borderlands 3 was overall better written than Borderlands 2, it just lacked the iconic villain that gave 2 so much memorability. Borderlands 2 had some *terrible* dialogue, namely every line that comes out of Scooter's mouth. To me it was like 2 was bad with a fantastic villain, while 3 was consistently average. 

so accurate. 

im on the fence about this. i didnt want it originally. I hate Tina. she can be funny in small doses, but generally she annoys me..Then i watched the trailer anyways... it looks interesting. So considering its D&D and in her way of imagery and storytelling, it again, can be fun... or stupidly annoying. I have it on my list to buy for now. As i want to increase my ps5 games, and i do enjoy Borderlands... but we will see. ill keep an open mind. Hope its good. Just for the sake of Borderlands 4 being made eventually. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, freeman4200 said:

I love borderlands. All of them. Three has such good gunplay it's hard to put down. Well they all have good gunplay. But I always thought it was about the build and guns not one or the other. 

Anyways, Im super stoked for elder ring and this game. 

While you could obviously focus on builds in the earlier games...it wasn't really about that. Gearbox put TOO much focus on builds in BL3, so much so that if you didn't have a focused build you weren't going to survive the more advanced stuff. Whereas with BL2 for instance, you can build your character any way you wanted and you could survive and just have fun (maybe some minor adjustments needed to be taken into account for UVHM and OP levels). 

I don't know, with BL3 I got so sick and tired of watching the latest YT video of this OP build that could take down raids in a matter of seconds...then not having a specific item you had to farm 100 years to get just for that build to work right, then by the time you get it...Gearbox did their little balancing act again (See: Nerfing everything good) and new builds had to come into play. It just all stopped being fun for me. They leaned into that so hard and catered to the YT and Twitch streamers that liked to do (and better understood) how all that build stuff worked. I just miss the FUN of BL2. 

• Like 1

Just now, Viper said:

While you could obviously focus on builds in the earlier games...it wasn't really about that. Gearbox put TOO much focus on builds in BL3, so much so that if you didn't have a focused build you weren't going to survive the more advanced stuff. Whereas with BL2 for instance, you can build your character any way you wanted and you could survive and just have fun (maybe some minor adjustments needed to be taken into account for UVHM and OP levels). 

I don't know, with BL3 I got so sick and tired of watching the latest YT video of this OP build that could take down raids in a matter of seconds...then not having a specific item you had to farm 100 years to get just for that build to work right, then by the time you get it...Gearbox did their little balancing act again (See: Nerfing everything good) and new builds had to come into play. It just all stopped being fun for me. They leaned into that so hard and catered to the YT and Twitch streamers that liked to do (and better understood) how all that build stuff worked. I just miss the FUN of BL2. 

Maybe that's one reason I liked BL3; one part of BL2 that really grew on me was all the builds you could make; unique powers like Axton's double turrets were just fun. While Borderlands 1 remains one of my favorite games, and I still resent BL2 for some changes, BL1 was absolutely shit in terms of leveling. You got a few stat boosts that really weren't all that interesting, and a cool power. Which wasn't really that useful or fun unless you were Brick.

Like I had an absolute blast building a run and gun Moze with near unlimited shield & damage buffs (plus that legendary that drops massive shield boosters constantly). The guns were always a big part of BL for me, but in BL2 they started to get samey; you could actually get the exact same guns in BL2 which would be nigh impossible in BL1, I think. One part of the switch to being build oriented I disliked, though, was how BL2 became a legendary farming simulator, something I never got into and never will get into. Legendaries should be fun and viable, but never a must have, especially as rare as they are in BL2 / TPS.

Hopefully this game manages to attain a good balance between the two. I'm excited to see what they can do with melee, too; Battleborn [insert crowd booing] had some melee characters that were pretty fun and I would love to see Gearbox do more of that.

I hope that Gearbox learned their mistakes from BL3 and make Wonderland closer to BL2 in terms of builds, but keep the crazy gun variety of BL3. Personally, I felt that the only thing BL3 was missing was a good storyline and a moddable weapon set up, they teased us with the Gun skins and accessories but it would have been nice to be able to mod the guns or at least use a base gun and re-roll the stats like we can for the Annoitments.

The greatest Sin of BL3 was they killed off Maya and sidelined Lillith. It would have been far more interesting to have a more Siren vs Siren aspect to it, but nope.

If they could capture the zany magic of Dragon Keep DLC and remember what made BL2 such a huge hit amongst the player base. Wonderland could be the game to bring Gearbox back into the Fan's good graces, provided they keep the greasy hands of Pitchford out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with everything @Viper has said about BL2, that game was dripping with fun and apart from some balancing issues with Playthrough 3/the OP Levels, it was damn near perfect but 3 left a seriously sour taste in my mouth for many reasons so I'm very doubtful about if I'll actually get this, even though I'm a huge Tiny Tina fan :(.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

• 8 months later...

Trophy list looks fairly in-line with a standard Borderlands experience. Can't wait to see DLC trickle in over the next two years, essentially doubling your initial investment in order to enjoy the full game experience.