Audio on the PS5 version sounds off to me

So I upgraded to the PS5 version from a disc copy of the game. I wanted to watch the opening cutscene because it always gives me chills, but right away the audio sounded off to me. Portions of the music sound muffled and dampened, and generally just worse compared to the PS4 version. Also, the climatic moment when the music crescendos and the meteor splashes onto the title screen is out of sync pretty badly, which negates the chills.

Anyone else notice this or have recommendations for fixing it? It sounds muffled whether I'm listening through speakers or headphones, so that doesn't seem to make a difference. And the audio menu only gives volume options for music/dialogue/etc. I don't remember changing any of these settings on PS4 and everything (especially the music) sounded great.

7 hours ago, HusKy said:

Try disabling 3D Audio in PS5 settings.

I tried it but it still sounds muffled. I have 3D audio headphones, so it shouldn't have made a difference anyway.

I haven't had problems with any other games, so I think it's just this one. Which is a serious bummer, since it's one of my favorite games ?

• 2 weeks later...

It’s not your tech. Just search “Intergrade intro sync” or something similar and you’ll find videos examining the difference. Maybe a technical error, possibly intentional? The lyrics are even different, with the male voices having a much lesser presence. 

Again, not your console or TV’s fault. 

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think the dampened sound was my tech or setup since I haven't had any problems with other games.

I watched a couple YouTube videos of the intergrade version intro and the poor syncing at the title drop is present in all of them. I also found some other threads where people have noticed these differences and the general consensus seems to be the changes are for the worse.

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty disappointed by this. Playing one of my favorite games on a system that touts its great 3D audio capabilities, and Square somehow made the audio and syncing worse. Like, wtf?

It's definitely not a technical error. From what I can tell, they completely re-scored the entire intro sequence. There might even be a slight change in tempo, which would explain the different syncing with the title drop. The most notable difference is the choir singing some random nonsense instead of the One-Winged Angel lyrics. To be honest, I have no idea why they did this. I wonder if this new version of the opening is going to be included on the Intergrade soundtrack or if they're gonna pretend that nothing has changed.

Edited by ShadowReplicant

• 2 months later...