The Euros 2020 (2021) Thread

Glorious Fury

I predict Germany as the winner. I feel they come into the Tournament as an outsider, so they’re flying a bit under the radar. But you can never underestimate the Germans. And they have Muller and Hummels back in the team.

As for a shock exit I predict my own country: The Netherlands. There is a pessimistic feel in the country, thanks to our awful coach Frank De Boer. I don’t even know you could call it a shock exit. I’ve seen foreign media also make fun of our team ?.

But I’m very excited it’s finally starting. Nothing better than watching football and drinking beers with your friends.

• Like 1

I would just love to see Scotland progress from the group stage for the first time ever in a major tournament. I think for that to happen we have to win our first game against Czech Republic, then hope to pick up a point or more against England or Croatia. If we lose or draw that first game then we'll more than likely struggle. Having said that though, I actually believe Scotland are capable of getting a win against either of the 3 opponents, but realistically I see England winning the group and Croatia finishing second, with Scotland hoping to finish as one of the 4 best third placed teams.

As for predicting the winner? I actually think this might finally be Belgium's time. France have a really strong team though, so I wouldn't be surprised if they win it all.

Edited by Stevieboy
  • Like 2

I’m from France, so I hope we will win this year after 2016. We have all our chances, our group is solid, with the return of Benzema in add, we can do something. I can’t wait to see Benzema, Mbappe and Griezmann together in a tournament !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevieboy said:

As for predicting the winner? I actually think this might finally be Belgium's time. France have a really strong team though, so I wouldn't be surprised if they win it all.

I'm Belgian and we have an exceptional team. If that stupid Rudiger didn't break De Bruyne's face in the CL final, our chances would have been better though.

• Like 1

I feel like Belgium have the best team overall, so I'm marking those as my favourites for the tournament.

We've had a tournament sweepstake at work where each entry earns a randomly drawn name out of the hat, so with my two entries I've been saddled with Ukraine and Spain. So I'd like to see Spain to do well and make me some money!

I'd obviously love England to win it, but assuming we finish top of our group (which we absolutely should do) we'll draw second place out of the group of death, which contains France, Germany and Portugal. Any of those could conceivably finish second in that group and knock us out in the first knockout round :/

• Like 2

I can't see past France tbh, but Italy have looked pretty solid too.

We'd have to have (England) a hell of a lot of luck and good form etc to get past them in terms of us winning it if we were to. We certainly have an exciting squad thats capable so we'll see.

Just hope Southgate doesnt play 2 holding cdms every game to compenstate not having Maguire which will cost us in the attacking dept!

Looking forward to it all though as I hate summers with no footy!!

• Like 1

I'm lucky enough to be travelling to Budapest to watch the Portugal matches out there and I just have high hopes more than high expectations.

France are certainly the team to beat this tournament, so fitting that if we want to win it, we'll have to probably beat them twice..

• Like 1

I think I'm in the same boat as most of you guys. France being the favorite as they have crazy good depth throughout the squad, but Belgium/Portugal/Germany all have to be considered alongside them as they have excellent teams. 

Not really an underdog, but more a fallen giant who aren't really expected to win is Italy. They don't have any major stars like in previous years but a really solid core. I think they could do well, and have a long unbeaten streak currently. Could see them getting to the semi-final or so. Got a great midfield of Locatelli/Verratti, Jorginho, Barella.

Turkey, Italy's opponents tonight are probably my pick for a underdog nation. Got lots of players in form currently, and a young team with some experienced guys in the side. Should be a good game. 

Edited by GloriousFury9414
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

I think I'm in the same boat as most of you guys. France being the favorite as they have crazy good depth throughout the squad, but Belgium/Portugal/Germany all have to be considered alongside them as they have excellent teams. 

Not really an underdog, but more a fallen giant who aren't really expected to win is Italy. They don't have any major stars like in previous years but a really solid core. I think they could do well, and have a long unbeaten streak currently. Could see them getting to the semi-final or so. Got a great midfield of Locatelli/Verratti, Jorginho, Barella.

Turkey, Italy's opponents tonight are probably my pick for a underdog nation. Got lots of players in form currently, and a young team with some experienced guys in the side. Should be a good game. 

I think if I had to back a fallen giant, I'd take a look at the Netherlands. I have a good feeling about Memphis Depay who's come off a good club season (though that may be due to the fact I have him in my euro fantasy football squad) but they've got quality at the back with De Ligt (even though Van Dijk is injured), midfielders like De Jong and Wijnaldum, and even Bergwijn out wide can be really dangerous with his pace - I certainly back them to finish the top of their group and who knows what could happen from there - it's good to note they recently won the UEFA Nations League.

As for more of an underdog nation, I'd lean towards Switzerland. They're not outstanding in any one area but very solid in pretty much all of them. Lots of players who play for decent clubs in the top European leagues and I'd back them to give a lot of the stronger teams a tight game.

• Like 1

My dark horse is Denmark. They have some quality players in key positions (Schmeichel, Delayney, Erikson etc). 
I also think Turkey may also surprise a few people, and I think they could edge Italy tonight. 

Sadly some England fans think it’s ok to boo their own players (who are taking a stand against inequality) before games, which I’m sure must have a negative impact on the squad. 

I am looking forward to the tournament though, especially the games in the “group of death”. 

I’m not expecting my country (Wales) to make it out of the groups, and don’t have any other team that I’m particularly rooting for. It’d be cool to feel the hype of England doing well again though, especially since they have Saka and I’m an Arsenal fan. 

Outside of that, I’m very interested in seeing how Benzema performs for France. I’d also love to see Giroud (again, Arsenal) swag out with yet another major trophy. 

I still have soft spots for Spain and Italy, given who they used to be. And finally, Ronaldo winning it at 36 would be absolutely insane. 

9 minutes ago, MD_91 said:

Something about it being spread over a bunch of different countries with half of the teams just playing at home makes it feel like not a proper tournament for me

Which is why UEFA’s condemnation of the European Super League was laughable and shallow. 
They clearly don’t give a damn about fans, as they show time and time again. 

3 hours ago, roosta_141 said:

Sadly some England fans think it’s ok to boo their own players (who are taking a stand against inequality) before games, which I’m sure must have a negative impact on the squad. 

Please... Keep this topic free from it, ok? I can already imagine a war in 3... 2... 1...

Pardon for calling @Stevieboy

That was a great victory for my country Italy, against Turkey, I loved the game. Referee was total garbage, but we got a huge win regardless, hopefully we will keep it up the whole tournament ??

As potential winners, I pick either England or Belgium