The Euros 2020 (2021) Thread

Glorious Fury

I don't want to take anything away from the team. England made a final and nearly won it. First 30 mins had people in amazement as England were utterly dominating the Italians. Those who missed it here at the end are young and will improve, if this doesn't wreck them anyway... other people however won't be so nice. 

To lay it out... what Southgate did at the end there is worth losing his job over, it is that stupid. The moment I saw Saka go up to take the 5th penalty I knew it was already over, and so did everyone else including Saka himself. According to the news that has come out since the game, Saka has never taken a penalty in his career in a game... and he gets to take one at a final? Madness. 

If it was or wasn't, with Southgate getting into the mud of politics, his choices here will in turn look political. That he chose two White players to take the first two penalties so then the three Black/mixed players could win it after and thus show the triumph of diversity and all that. Instead the people against that got the ammo of having both White players doing excellent penalties, the White goalkeeper doing an excellent job, and the Black/Mixed players were who botched it. On top of that the Italian team was homogenous too.

Either it was political and Southgate is some sort of mad zealot, or it wasn't political and he was simply stupid. Either way, not a good look, and either way Southgate has fed these young men to the wolves with his choices. This has the capacity to ruin their careers as it can hurt their mental health and throw them off their game. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57800431

Racist abuse towards them will only intensify and Southgate will have known that this would be what would result from it. That is not to say that Black players should never take penalty kicks or whatever... but guys that young? Why not Sterling? I think Rashford, who is 23, might have been fine honestly. He had the goalkeeper beaten if he didn't do the typical young wizkid thing of trying to be too clever for his own good. The other two though at 21 and 19 though? No way to excuse that. Penalty takers need to be taken by people who have taken them before in big games which also means having older players take them as being older they've likely to have been in those situations more. 

I hope all the best for them. It was a great tournament and everyone loses at some point, it is what it is. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rozalia1 said:

I don't want to take anything away from the team. England made a final and nearly won it. First 30 mins had people in amazement as England were utterly dominating the Italians. Those who missed it here at the end are young and will improve, if this doesn't wreck them anyway... other people however won't be so nice. 

To lay it out... what Southgate did at the end there is worth losing his job over, it is that stupid. The moment I saw Saka go up to take the 5th penalty I knew it was already over, and so did everyone else including Saka himself. According to the news that has come out since the game, Saka has never taken a penalty in his career in a game... and he gets to take one at a final? Madness. 

If it was or wasn't, with Southgate getting into the mud of politics, his choices here will in turn look political. That he chose two White players to take the first two penalties so then the three Black/mixed players could win it after and thus show the triumph of diversity and all that. Instead the people against that got the ammo of having both White players doing excellent penalties, the White goalkeeper doing an excellent job, and the Black/Mixed players were who botched it. On top of that the Italian team was homogenous too.

Either it was political and Southgate is some sort of mad zealot, or it wasn't political and he was simply stupid. Either way, not a good look, and either way Southgate has fed these young men to the wolves with his choices. This has the capacity to ruin their careers as it can hurt their mental health and throw them off their game. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57800431

Racist abuse towards them will only intensify and Southgate will have known that this would be what would result from it. That is not to say that Black players should never take penalty kicks or whatever... but guys that young? Why not Sterling? I think Rashford, who is 23, might have been fine honestly. He had the goalkeeper beaten if he didn't do the typical young wizkid thing of trying to be too clever for his own good. The other two though at 21 and 19 though? No way to excuse that. Penalty takers need to be taken by people who have taken them before in big games which also means having older players take them as being older they've likely to have been in those situations more. 

I hope all the best for them. It was a great tournament and everyone loses at some point, it is what it is. 

Saka should have never been picked neither Rashford they were not playing on the pitch they did not have a feel for the goalkeeper and the other players how they played or how they moved. The other players knew what to do and how to do it as they had been on the pitch for either half or the full duration of the match. 

Sterling should have been the one to take that shot or Shaw or somebody else. Not those two who went on for 3 minutes in extra time its not even enough to gain any momentum.

On 19/06/2021 at 11:07 AM, Pieroluc said:

As a German/Italian I have a good bit of hope for one of the teams, a bit less for the other.

I said I had hope for one and they went on to win the bloody thing against England at Wembley. Ahhhh, nice.

giphy.gif

It's coming home has been temporarily delayed until 2022... the world cup is the one we all really want anyway!

Saka should never have been anywhere near the first 5 pens let alone the fifth and decisive one, he was awful all game and really poor selection from Southgate on the penalty takers. Personally think Pickford should have had #5, he was in the mood and he scored a fantastic pen for england before vs colombia in the world cup! Grealish should have come on earlier too in my opinion but at the end of the day very proud of the team and enjoyed every minute of this tournament, especially how much everyone else has wanted us to lose! Still, after every setback this England squad under Southgate has come back stronger and I'm confident we can take a swift revenge on the Italians at the World Cup 2022!

• Like 1

Actually what he said to be arrogant is not the it's coming home thing, but "the other statements" by Ferdinand and Neville

Can't disagree with everything else he said, maybe the hate the England team got after the Denmark game was just a bit too much, but winning the final after the unpolite attitude they had felt really good. Booing national anthems and stomping flags is not something that should be done. In my opinion that is different and worse than diving/simulating

Just my two cents, no hate intended ?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Yawn!!!!

The hate for the english is embarresing especially on this site. Just take victory with grace ffs.

By the way "its coming home" isnt a arrogant thing. We havent won anything in 55 years. I think arrogant is the last thing we can be. 

Please do your research before putting stupid messeages.

Well done italy

Well if pretty much everyone else was backing hard against you it's just because you really acted in a disgraceful way during these Euros.

Spain totally deserved to win against us, but that's football and they acted really gracious with us especially their manager Luis Enrique.

What about you? You literally made fun and even insulted a young German child calling her as Nazi slut, you booed every other national anthems (this alone is a good reason for hating you tbh, you just can't do that to others national anthems it's so disrespectful and I don't care if you say that was a little minority that was booing, you guys still did that), and deffo you acted in an arrogant way like there was no reason for other teams to play because the victory was already yours, like Denmark wasn't playing a semifinal and like it didn't matter if Italy was in the final because it was already yours.

Not to mention almost all England players immediately took off their medals.

Oh yea and I was forgetting the disgusting insults at your black players, the riots, etc.

So yea, at the end of the day for me it's not about hate really, it's more like karma striking back and a deserved win because Italy played with passion and humility, and maybe you will learn to be more humble too the next time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BlackTorito said:

Yawn is what we do when you get salty by people staying their opinion.

Instead of condenm your country mates behavior you are just here telling us to shut up and look the other way. Stop excusing them, what we saw on the whole tournament is disgraceful, and waiting for rival supporters to beat them is astonishing, not talking about how I already knew those 3 poor boys would get a lot of racism by none other than their own country fans.

Sure not all the people on the country is like this, sure, not all countries are perfect, but stop insulting people for stating their opinion, instead of looking at your own floor.

You are just as much of the problem as the people that actually behave like that, the fact that a lot of people here are more concerned about other people pointing out those terrible actions instead of acknowledging them first is embarassing.

Im the problem? Ive insulted no one dude. Im just tierd and fed up of the hate of the english. This is about football. Lets stick to that shall we instead of putting me in the same sentence of some of the english that put shame to our country, and like you say every country as them

Edited by dannyswfc9
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Yawn!!!!

The hate for the english is embarresing especially on this site. Just take victory with grace ffs.

By the way "its coming home" isnt a arrogant thing. We havent won anything in 55 years. I think arrogant is the last thing we can be. 

Please do your research before putting stupid messeages.

Well done italy

It was very much expected but it’s a sad display to see more comments gloating over the losers than actually just congratulating the winners - it makes the congratulations seem kinda false. England have done better than they ever have in 50+ years, even better than their last attempt at the World Cup, and also didn’t close the game with 5 yellows. Considering they were dominating possession wise and had a far better second half, it wasn’t exactly a knockout win for Italy either like many were expecting (including me), and if not for poor management decisions I think it could’ve easily gone either way at the end, or even ended on time.

Edited by Charizarzar
Spelling
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Charizarzar said:

It was very much expected but it’s a sad display to see more comments gloating over the losers than actually just congratulating the winners - it makes the congratulations seem kinda false. England have done better than they ever have in 50+ years, even better than their last attempt at the World Cup, and also didn’t close the game with 5 yellows. Considering they were dominating possession wise and had a far better second half, it wasn’t exactly an knockout win for Italy either like many were expecting (including me), and if not for poor management decisions I think it could’ve easily gone either way at the end, or even ended on time.

Their subs changed the game in the second half after a brilliant first half from us.

Then when ciesa went off i thought it would swing back in our favour because he was fantastic. Southgate got it spot on all tournament but he should never have picked some of the pen takers. 

Bring on qatar

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Im the problem? Ive insulted no one dude. Im just tierd and fed up of the hate of the english. This is about football. Lets stick to that shall we instead of putting me in the same sentence of some of the english that put shame to our country, and like you say every country as them

I don’t think anybody here hates the English, and if they do they are as a clueless. It just so happens there’s been quite a lot of controversy, and people answers.

No need to attack them or telling them their messages are stupid, if you do, you are no better, thats what I meant.

Yesterday I'm watching a beautiful match in both side, it doesn't matter to me who won, I love football and yesterday the match thrilled me, obviously here in Italy a delirium happened, including myself. The only thing I regret is the vandalism and racist comments against Sacka and the vandalism with the rashford mural,.

• Like 4

What a tight game, it could have gone either way.

England were the better side in the first half

Italy were the better side in the second half

Chances for both in extra time - you couldn't call it!

Just what a final should be - two deserving teams. I do feel that Italy had a better side and it really shone at times. England had so much pressure on them, an enormous weight and it showed.

Penalties are cruel, England SHOULD have won it. Southgate's decision of penalty takers will haunt him, just as his miss did in Euro 96, but he should be proud, the team should be proud.

Well done Italy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Agent_Renegade22 said:

Not to mention almost all England players immediately took off their medals.

If you watch alot of finals then you know its not a first time this as happened. Who wants second place right. We also never said we was gonna win this tournament. Why would we when we have been shocking for most of the 55 years since we last won a trophy

54 minutes ago, BlackTorito said:

I don’t think anybody here hates the English, and if they do they are as a clueless. It just so happens there’s been quite a lot of controversy, and people answers.

No need to attack them or telling them their messages are stupid, if you do, you are no better, thats what I meant.

Please show me the messages of me attacking people or calling them stupid. Im just replying to some of the harsh messages on here. They look like hate to me

Quite disappointing to make the final and then lose, and during penalties of all things which never feels good :(

But, I'm surprised England made the final and with all the controversy over the Denmark game, I found the Italy game nicer to watch and less sloppy even if England basically fell asleep in the second half.

I'm no expert on players and who's good/not so good but Shaw stood out to me in the first 20 or so minutes, not just because of the goal but every time someone made a chance it always seemed to be him, but no one seemed to be there to capitalise.

Sterling stood out a little, doing a couple dives here and there, but he was also making some chances. Biggest disappointment for me player wise would be Kane, only because I hear he's supposed to be our 'star player'? He did some stuff in other games and sure he did hit his penalty in the shootout but I basically never saw him all game and almost didn't realise he was on the starting lineup if it weren't for the camera randomly cutting to his face xD, some of the substitutes did more and they were on the pitch less.

I feel really bad for Saka. He's been doing well through the tournament but he's supposedly not much of a penalty taker and he's so young for all that pressure of the game decider 5th penalty and now he's going to take the brunt of the toxic English fans rage and racial abuse when, well, he didn't actually take a bad penalty IMO. One of our guys missed when the goalie was definitely not going to save it (and was supposedly substituted specifically as a star penalty taker), Sakas was actually decently placed and not a super weak shot or anything, t'was just saved, penalties do feel a bit like pot luck at times. Sure, it wasn't a brilliant shot, but he certainly didn't let us down to me and I don't blame him at all.

We had 90 minutes, extra time too, to win the game if we played well enough. We can't just blame our loss on a couple shots in penalties. We were absent in the second half, we were also too defensive after going 1-0 up so quickly so once they equalised it all went to shit. Like I said, opportunities were ocassionally made but no one was there to capitalise and eventually we ended up falling back and getting pretty much no more chances for the rest of the game. I'm surprised it went to ET/Pens, I thought England would concede a goal.

Italy were totally the favourites going in and I actually think they kinda underperformed, this was probably our best shot and sadly we fluffed it but fair play to them for making it that far, can't say the same for our countries past attempts so I'd be proud if I were them.

Always next time, or the world cup even ;)

At least we've got the taste for a final as a country.

47 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

If you watch alot of finals then you know its not a first time this as happened. Who wants second place right. We also never said we was gonna win this tournament. Why would we when we have been shocking for most of the 55 years since we last won a trophy

I know many players do that, I watch a lot of football indeed, but it remains so unclassy to do imo.

Go watch the medal awards ceremony at EURO 2012 and almost no Italian player took his silver medal off that time.

So you're saying you weren't confident on winning this EURO?

Please go check Rio Ferdinand's statement he literally said that England was going to beat Denmark easily and they didn't even care about the other semi-final because England was superior compared to both Italy and Spain, similar statement from Gary Neville etc.

You guys were super confident this time, maybe too much but we usually don't celebrate before the end of the game. 

Anyway good luck for Qatar 2022, I really think you have a great team and young talented players and a good coach (he actually praised Italy and other opponents), but English supporters... 

When Chiesa got hurt, and Insigne went off also, Italy had no major threat going forward in attack. Belotti is very average and Bernardeschi didn't score a single goal for Juventus last season. Instead of being negative like we were after Italy began to find their feet, we needed to take the initiative at that point going into extra time. Think this is where Southgate got it all wrong for me. We had to be positive at this point. 

He reminds me of Solskjaer, installing a good team spirit into the squad but is questionable tactically. He is very much stuck to a pattern and constantly plays it safe. He struggles to adapt to any changes to the flow of the game. Both men made poor tactical choices in finals, when it actually mattered.

Difference is Mancini is a very good coach who can adapt. Italy switched to a False 9 moving Insigne centrally after taking off Immobile for Berardi. Insigne's movement dragging around the English defence cause us all sorts of problems. From that point, they utterly dominated for a period getting the Bonucci goal during that point. Southgate had no response.

Away from that Bonucci was the player I enjoyed watching the most at the Euros. Such a immensely talented player. Bonucci/Chiellini are right up there as a duo with Nesta/Maldini, Cannavaro/Nesta and Baresi/Costacurta. 

Also, surely Jorginho has to be a major contender for the Balon D'or. Think Messi may get it with the Copa win, but surely he's gotta be in the top 5.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Agent_Renegade22 said:

I know many players do that, I watch a lot of football indeed, but it remains so unclassy to do imo.

Go watch the medal awards ceremony at EURO 2012 and almost no Italian player took his silver medal off that time.

So you're saying you weren't confident on winning this EURO?

Please go check Rio Ferdinand's statement he literally said that England was going to beat Denmark easily and they didn't even care about the other semi-final because England was superior compared to both Italy and Spain, similar statement from Gary Neville etc.

You guys were super confident this time, maybe too much but we usually don't celebrate before the end of the game. 

Anyway good luck for Qatar 2022, I really think you have a great team and young talented players and a good coach (he actually praised Italy and other opponents), but English supporters... 

Rio Ferdinand speaks for the nation? I suppose by that logic Gary Neville who searches for anything he can to use to attack the government also does even though the Tories have massive support across the nation? Rio played the role of the confident "we got this guy" and someone has to. The other people on that show including the host were a lot more "let us hope for the best here". 

You and others piling on England and it's fans has people speak against it because everyone, including the attackers, know that England fans are not special nor are they anywhere close to the worst fans out there. Some idiots making comments about a German girl? Booing National anthems (others do this)? Whatever else? Is grounds for Italy deserving to win to "show the arrogant English" as many out there put it? The Italians? Known for the arrogance of their fans and their monkey chants/Bananas to Black players? Those saints? 

English fans are just tired of this "small man" mentality from mainland Europe + Scotland where everyone is just instantly anti-England and come up with all manner of nonsense to try and give reason for their irrational hate. England haven't won anything in 55 years. Their "golden generation" has passed. English fans all know that England underperforms and is not a good shot at the title, the whole "It's coming home" song people go on about? The song literally references the fact that England underperform and throw games away. It is not a song of "England is the greatest" like many think, but one closer to "We are a bit naff honestly, but we continue to have hope". So... just pack it in already is how many see it. You'd think England was a grand team that has won the last half a dozen world cups considering how they get treated. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

Rio Ferdinand speaks for the nation? I suppose by that logic Gary Neville who searches for anything he can to use to attack the government also does even though the Tories have massive support across the nation? Rio played the role of the confident "we got this guy" and someone has to. The other people on that show including the host were a lot more "let us hope for the best here". 

You and others piling on England and it's fans has people speak against it because everyone, including the attackers, know that England fans are not special nor are they anywhere close to the worst fans out there. Some idiots making comments about a German girl? Booing National anthems (others do this)? Whatever else? Is grounds for Italy deserving to win to "show the arrogant English" as many out there put it? The Italians? Known for the arrogance of their fans and their monkey chants/Bananas to Black players? Those saints? 

English fans are just tired of this "small man" mentality from mainland Europe + Scotland where everyone is just instantly anti-England and come up with all manner of nonsense to try and give reason for their irrational hate. England haven't won anything in 55 years. Their "golden generation" has passed. English fans all know that England underperforms and is not a good shot at the title, the whole "It's coming home" song people go on about? The song literally references the fact that England underperform and throw games away. It is not a song of "England is the greatest" like many think, but one closer to "We are a bit naff honestly, but we continue to have hope". So... just pack it in already is how many see it. You'd think England was a grand team that has won the last half a dozen world cups considering how they get treated. 

Please dude don't even try, Italian fans are in no way comparable to English fans. You literally start riots and shit like that everywhere you go, in Russia for 2018 WC, in Porto for 2021 UCL Final, even at your own home at Wembley and we could go on for hours if we talk about previous competitions, after all England teams were banned from all UEFA competitions because of hooligans in 1985, weren't they? 

Everybody here in Italy was so tired of listening to your arrogance here and there, rather it was from current/ex players, TV stars or fans, and from what I've seen Italians weren't the only ones to think that, so...

I agree there are also disgraceful fans amongst Italians (and every other teams/nations), but trust me Italian fans are in no possible way arrogant, we literally thought we couldn't compete against teams like Belgium or France, and even when we proved to be a solid team absolutely nobody said openly that we were going to win, obviously we hoped for that in our hearts but we only celebrate when the game is over so what are you exactly talking about?

And nobody here in Italy asked for a bank holiday in case of victory lol

What I don't really like about English fans is that instead of condemning what you've done so far during these EUROs you all are just defending that saying "uh also others do that".

• Like 4

looking at the leagues...

england's premier league is BIG

spain's la liga is big

german league is well known

serie A is getting better again

french ligue1 on its way up

in short, in europe, when it comes to champions league and club football, the big countries are england, spain, germany, italy and france. much of the winners come from these countries too - plus portugal.

looking at internationals...

italy last won a competition this year.

spain? 2012. less than 10 years ago.

germany? 2014. less than 10 years ago.

france? 2018. less than 10 years ago.

portugal? 2016. less than 10 years ago.

england? havent won anything since the near-middle of last century!!! over 5 DECADES and counting!

it just doesnt sit right. in terms of club football, england's a 'big country'. but when it comes to international football, we aren't winning like the other big countries are. why is that? is it because the premiership's too globalised? a 'club over country' mentality? no patience in growing english talent they seek a readymade player from abroad? an eagerness to be welcoming to foreign players over english/not wanting to be 'racist'? lol. playing with too much respect and not enough aggression ('too polite' as the english is perceived)? lack of skill being taught? i think these questions stop at the FA. they need reinvigorating and a frank kick up the ass.

also, consider since 1966...

1966 - won the tournament but the third goal wasnt a goal. (though nevertheless, i remember watching the match, england had the momentum and would have beaten germany anyway. tainted win).

1950s (pre-66) - deemed the best in the world, but we lost to usa in 1950 with a dishwasher scoring against us, and got schooled by hungary. lol

1970s - regularly FAILED TO QUALIFY for many tournaments, despite dominating europe on the club side.

1980s - same as above, disregarding 86.

1990 - really, played poorly and this is when the penalty jinx was born for us.

1992 - failed to qualify

1994 - ditto

1996 - penalty jinx

1998 - penalties

2002 - carelessness cost us

2004 - penalties, golden generation failed to deliver

2006 - see above

2008 - golden generation couldnt even qualify lol

2010 - golden generation ripped apart by german kids lol

2012 - penalties

2014 - out after two matches

2016 - iceland, lol

we have never really been good have we? up to 2018, in competitive knockout matches we have only beaten Paraguay (1986 WC), Belgium (1990 WC), Cameroon (1990 WC), Spain (1996 EC), Denmark (2002 WC), Ecuador (WC 2006), Colombia (2018 WC), Sweden (2018 WC). and thats it.

compare that with say germany, or brazil. its downright pathetic for a 'big' country.

2018 - got to semi's, went 1-0 up, lost steam.

2021 - got to final, went 1-0 up, poor tactical decisions (sitting back) cost us.

southgate has made progress with the england team compared to managers covering the decades before him.

regarding penalties - english players are crap at taking pens. the ones missed, most of them were saved because they were low side shots, easily within reach of the keeper. english players need to learn to blast into corners.

2020 was almost gifted to us it seems - home practically all tournament, easy teams, not being on the 'tough' side of the draw again. and we choked.

i really want to see england win SOMETHING in my lifetime but i dont think its going to happen. last night was our best chance. historically we've never been good at international football - 66 we had home advantage. england is seen as a big country because of its club scene. but internationally - other countries, if they see us as big given the premier league, must be looking at us wondering what the heck is wrong with us, why we cant win anything (!). we have the richest league in the world on one side, and the other we have an international team from that which regularly fails or play poorly - compared to other nationals who play in the premiership and are picked for their national sides also.

urgh...............

Edited by rockstarjazz
  • Like 3