The Euros 2020 (2021) Thread

Glorious Fury

France: I wouldn't argue with them being the top contender for the title yet, but I don't know... they couldn't exactly beat a weakened Germany without the own goal.

Germany: Clearly diminished. Are still Germany however though I'd say may well be at risk of going out if they can't beat at least one of Portugal/Hungary who will play heavily defensive.

Portugal: Well they certainly look like contenders as odd as that may sound to people. Not in that they played great attacking football or whatever, but in that they will ironwall everybody (I mean... they played defensively against Hungary) and if luck or a accurate Cristiano Ronaldo freekick are on their side, win. They beat France in 2016, the strongest team in the world, with just that lets not forget when they kept France from scoring and Eder, likely the worst player at the tournament somehow scored when he couldn't find anyone to pass to and just shot at the goal. The goal against Hungary came off two deflections and is up there in the annals of history it should be said also.

Italy: Looked impressive and has certainly made them rise up in people's estimation. People I know tell me that Italy has simply had weak competition and they are nothing to worry about... we'll see.

Belgium: They looked like killers for about 20 mins against Denmark. Rest was woeful. Lukaku comes off like the top threat in the tournament to me even if he is unlikely to score himself. 

England: They're like Portugal in that they seemingly play worse against small teams so I don't think we can judge them too much based off the Scotland game, however some woeful football on display shown. Honesty I think the Portugal comparison is helpful in identifying something that is very wrong with England. With Portugal everyone knows that the team is playing for Ronaldo, to get him the ball so he can score. England do not seem to be doing such a thing which would be fine if they had an incredible attack... but they don't. Nominate someone, say Kane, and make the team's mission to be to get him the ball. There is nothing wrong with this, it is what weaker sides, which is what England ultimately is, do. England needs to play as if they are a weaker side then this attempt at playing as if they are one of the top teams because they simply can't do it. Though... England will want to finish second. Winning the group will mean playing against France/Germany/Portugal... all dreaded teams for England. Both Germany and Portugal are known for eliminating England so they may want France, though that is the most unlikely one. Much watch games if they happen though. 

On 6/17/2021 at 10:57 PM, Baker said:

Positive: We (The Netherlands) are the group winner.

Negative: Everything else. Man we play so poorly 1f602.png. Two more games and we’re done.

I agree, dont think we get very far in the tournament. The Netherlands prime years were 2008 till 2014, after that it went downhill fast. It was the end of a generation of some key players: Sneijder, Robben and van Persie and so close to the World Cup. (I still remember where i was THAT day in 2010)

Nowadays i am less fanatic and less invested in the whole football leagues but those tournaments bring back some good memories.

Im English. Still sad about last night, but its not over yet. The Scots were well up for a war and we didnt deliver. 

The Czechs will be another story. One where we win (hopefully!) Then onto the KO stages where anything can happen.

The favourites for the tournament are clearly France, with Belgium, Italy, England, Portugal, Spain, Netherlands and i guess Germany also in contention.

That group of death though. 

9 hours ago, Pieroluc said:

As a German/Italian I have a good bit of hope for one of the teams, a bit less for the other.

after the latest result, maybe I am slightly more hopeful about the other one also. Has to convince though they can keep the form up from this game against Hungary.

On 19/06/2021 at 7:13 PM, Vergil said:

Their defences was like junior team , what were they doing.....

Playing overly defensive makes the chance of those sort of errors happening increase heavily. Hungary who Portugal beat lost the game when 2 deflections happened which would have been less likely to happen if they didn't have the whole team on defence. Luck this time was simply not on Portugal's side to the point they got two own goals and if not for that they may well have won the game. 

Portugal's main issue to me is the fact that the manager is sticking to you may as well call traditional Portuguese tactics at this point, and doesn't trust his team to actually attack. They have some real talent (some of it on the bench when they shouldn't be) and rather then trying to win games they're trying to grind wins out. It is quite frankly a waste of Ronaldo who in this game won a header in his box and then ran across the entire field and scored a goal from the counterattack he started. The other while not scored by him was a result of him as he managed to get something out of a ball that the German defence all assumed was going out (hence their delayed reactions). It is frankly a miracle/incredible show of talent that he has managed the goals he has for Portugal. 

For the France game... unsure. France normally beats Portugal, though that 2016 final was a nasty defeat for France and shows it is possible. Portugal are playing as normal. France honestly have only impressed me at times. Benzema at the front looks like he doesn't have his mind in the right place. Mbappe is trouble but the Portuguese defence does have Pepe who when focused is incredible and can stop anybody. Griezmann I think will be the biggest threat.

On 19/06/2021 at 9:58 PM, Baranov_925 said:

Poland - Spain - 1:1

Spain trying for the 3 draws in the groups and then win the title play I see. They could well be the first big causality. 

On 19/06/2021 at 7:19 PM, Pieroluc said:

after the latest result, maybe I am slightly more hopeful about the other one also. Has to convince though they can keep the form up from this game against Hungary.

Hungary have shown they're a tough side to beat and are spirited. Germany will have the advantage however of Hungary requiring a win to be able to pass the groups and so can't simply play for a draw. As such the result could well be a small Hungary win, a draw, or Germany obliterating them 5-0. Will be a game to watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rozalia1 said:

Hungary have shown they're a tough side to beat and are spirited. Germany will have the advantage however of Hungary requiring a win to be able to pass the groups and so can't simply play for a draw. As such the result could well be a small Hungary win, a draw, or Germany obliterating them 5-0. Will be a game to watch.

True, it is a game to watch, sadly not sure if I will be able to see it though, have a farewell party for a friend to attend tomorrow.

On 6/19/2021 at 2:19 PM, SHADOW-KILLER-S2 said:

I agree, dont think we get very far in the tournament. The Netherlands prime years were 2008 till 2014, after that it went downhill fast. It was the end of a generation of some key players: Sneijder, Robben and van Persie and so close to the World Cup. (I still remember where i was THAT day in 2010)

Nowadays i am less fanatic and less invested in the whole football leagues but those tournaments bring back some good memories.

Orange has had great players and a great national team for decades. Maybe they're not what they used to be right now but you guys will definitely come back. The Red Devils on the other hand, we're having the most exceptional generation we've ever had. One of the reasons is that quite a few were trained in the Netherlands. But it's almost over for Belgium and in a few years we'll be the little brother again.

Edited by HellcoreFire
  • Like 1

Really wanted to watch Germany vs Portugal, and I bet Germany will lead up until play-offs. I'm not European, but has a modest likeness for soccer as is super popular in my country. However, I'm more into England, Spain (they can return and make a big appearance later, though) and Netherlands. Aside from those teams, I see it very close between each other, specially Italy, France and Belgium. :) Super hyped about this one, since last year as we know was pretty lame on sports scene. I see this a huge preamble for next year World Cup -of course, if it isn't cancelled due y'know-. 

• Like 1

England with another poor showing even if they won. Still, England plays worse against smaller sides so they should play better in their next game as damn are they in luck. Hungary is possible if a longshot, but the other three options are France/Germany/Portugal. From my gut feeling England wants France as they will choke against the other two. France they should have a chance against, as odd as that may sound. There are some teams that for whatever reason a team just cannot win against and Germany/Portugal hold such a spot for England. 

22 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

England with another poor showing even if they won. Still, England plays worse against smaller sides so they should play better in their next game as damn are they in luck. Hungary is possible if a longshot, but the other three options are France/Germany/Portugal. From my gut feeling England wants France as they will choke against the other two. France they should have a chance against, as odd as that may sound. There are some teams that for whatever reason a team just cannot win against and Germany/Portugal hold such a spot for England. 

I don't think England can win fom France. With Stones and Maquire you have such a slow centrum against the pace of mbappe. France will just counter you away. 

24 minutes ago, IGUnique said:

I don't think England can win fom France. With Stones and Maquire you have such a slow centrum against the pace of mbappe. France will just counter you away. 

I wouldn't exactly rate them against France either, but at least against France the players shouldn't get the... lets say mental block they'd get against Germany/Portugal who they fear a lot more than France. 

1 hour ago, Rozalia1 said:

I wouldn't exactly rate them against France either, but at least against France the players shouldn't get the... lets say mental block they'd get against Germany/Portugal who they fear a lot more than France. 

I'm not from England but I would much rather have Germany then France. Portugal is gonna be hard but I don't see them winning from France tonight so they will take the 3rd seed. So far the only team that looks really scary is Italy. Belgium has a very poor defense, Netherlands (we just played poorly against very weak opponents), France not convincing, Germany neither, Portugal let down, England let down. 

43 minutes ago, mareepx said:

I love Phil Foden but last night I did think the combo of Sterling/Grealish/Saka in the attacking midfield/wings worked quite well indeed, would like to see them play again in the round of 16 whoever we draw.

They need other CDM's, maquire and Stones only give the ball to the left back and right back, they need someone to pass the ball to Grealish more often so they can up the pace and use the wings better. If England gets going it's one of the best teams on paper. 

6 minutes ago, Smashero said:

Told ya... 

I’m happy Poland lost ?. Now we avoid playing against a team from the dreaded pool of death. Not to underestimate Czech Republic and maybe after that Denmark or Wales, but the road to the semi’s is now wide open for us ???

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baker said:

I’m happy Poland lost 1f605.png.

Can't blame you :P. 
Anyway, we would play against Croatia and having in mind how they destroyed Scotland... Better that we are going home.

As always anyway... Only Lewandowski himself can't do miracles.

Edited by Smashero
  • Like 1