RETURNAL PATCH 1.4.0

AlphaExGAT

Patch 1.4.0 is set to release on Monday, June 14th at 12PM (GMT+3)

Reminder that if you have the automatic updates turned on, the game will close while in rest mode in order to install the update.

Patch Notes:

Highlights:

• Platinum: Added support for replaying certain Act 1 & Act 2 Trophies

• Platinum: Added support to retroactively award Trophies which cannot be replayed

• Platinum: Added additional locations for Scout Logs 9, 34, 35 & 46 to appear more often

• Platinum: Fixed an issue where 1 Cipher was sometimes unobtainable for Biome Survey Trophies

• Platinum: Fixed an issue where some Activity Cards displayed an incorrect count

• UI: HUD labels for items are now hidden when Selene is firing a weapon

• UI: Fixed an issue where 2 actions could be mapped to a single button after switching controller presets

• Cinematics: Fixed a rare audio sync issue in the secret ending

• Audio: General mix improvements across the experience

• Audio: Improved surround sound setup support across the experience

• Audio: Added more DualSense haptics across cinematic moments for deeper immersion

• Audio: Added DualSense haptics when using the Icarian Grapnel

• Audio: Improved the dynamic range recommendations system

• Audio: Allow users to override the dynamic range recommendations

• Audio: Allow users to change audio output from the game menu

Game Balance:

• Balance: Various bug fixes to certain artifacts, parasites, consumables, and when certain malfunctions can occur in the early parts of the game

• Balance: Players no longer receive parasites as rewards when players avenge their corpses

• Balance: Enemies, Weapons, and Bosses - difficulty adjustments in all Biomes for a more balanced gameplay experience

Misc Bug-fixes:

• Fixed an issue where Hyperion may drop the Key out of reach

• Fixed an issue where Ophion may become invisible if the player uses a Reconstructor during the fight 

• Fixed weapons not being found in Biomes after scanning but not collecting them

• Fixed an issue where Selene could jump impossibly long distances 

• Fixed multiple issues where Selene may become trapped in a room

• Fixed a rare freezing issue when teleporting in Crimson Wastes

• Fixed occasional frame rate drops when using the Electropylon Driver

• Performance improvements, crash fixes, and multiple minor bug fixes

https://housemarque.com/news/2021/6/11/returnal-patch-140

Im personally going to load my save that I couldn't get Scout Log 35 to respawn on to see if it works.

Edited by AlphaExGAT
  • Like 4

I can confirm that Scout log 35 is no longer missable. In fact it spawned in front of me next to that artifact machine at the start of biome 4. I deleted and loaded the save again and it appeared again in the same spot. It could spawn somewhere else in biome 4 but for me it was always the same(did it 5 times).

Also, I didn't notice any changes to the balance in my run through of biome 4 off tops.? So I can't tell if the game got anymore difficult or easier and the guns I picked up seemed like the same. It's been a minute since i've played.  I'll probably do it again tomorrow from biome 1 and make my way through the game.

Edited by AlphaExGAT
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jack_a_snacks said:

Hopefull this has sorted a lot of the RNG based issues people were having

It hasn't for me.  This ultra rare room in the Crimson Wastes is still plaguing me.

Would be amazing like how they say "suit detected", they'd say "glyph" detected at the start of the run so I could just reset if I didn't see it. :D

So I'm not sure if my collectible glitched now in Biome 2 for as my Activity Card is saying 95%, Xenoglyphs is 19/20 but the Translation is saying 100% complete.

Did my collectible glitch for as some get the trophy on 19/20 and I still have no trophy and did alot of runs looking for the glyph....

Saw this thread and decided to start playing it again and ran into a little bit of a game breaking bug, I had died and during my next run I had a pop up that said someone had avenged me and I was rewarded, however when that pop up happened I wasn't able to pick up the rewards that were given to me, or any items I found on the ground. I went on for another few rooms and this continued so had to restart the run.

3 hours ago, gamemissy said:

So I'm not sure if my collectible glitched now in Biome 2 for as my Activity Card is saying 95%, Xenoglyphs is 19/20 but the Translation is saying 100% complete.

Did my collectible glitch for as some get the trophy on 19/20 and I still have no trophy and did alot of runs looking for the glyph....

I am in the same boat as you. 19/20 ciphers in biome 2, 90/90 for translations, no trophy. 

Did two runs last night didn’t find anything, not sure if it’s broken now and I haven’t found any info about it online.

• Like 1

Prior to the update, i had 15/20 ciphers in Biome 2 and had been stuck there for a long time. First run on Biome 2 i found 3 ciphers, putting me at 18/20. I also found the infamous Scout Log #9 immediately in Biome 1, so they did some things right w/ the patch at least. Then it went completely dry.

I did 3 or 4 runs through Biome 2 yesterday, my activity card states that i'm at 90% completion for exploration, but the card doesn't show me 18/20 or 19/20 or anything of that nature. I'm thinking there's still 1 or 2 extremely rare room spawns that need to be patched.

This is the one key thing they missed on how a rogue like is supposed to work. You're not supposed to grind just to hope you find something with no added value to the gameplay. Spawn 1, 2, or 3 collectables every run until all are collected, players should never run 100% of a map multiple times with a small chance of finding these items. It should be almost guaranteed. 

• Like 3

Well, Im not purchasing this game until they patch the collectables. Its rather insulting that my time is expected to be wasted repeating levels until collectables randomly spawn. I refuse to do that.

Which is why I didn't buy this game day one at full price like I had planned to.

When they patch their ridiculous collectable spawn locations, then I will buy their game.

Anyone else have any input as to whether things have improved with this latest patch?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ninailez said:

Well, Im not purchasing this game until they patch the collectables. Its rather insulting that my time is expected to be wasted repeating levels until collectables randomly spawn. I refuse to do that.

Which is why I didn't buy this game day one at full price like I had planned to.

When they patch their ridiculous collectable spawn locations, then I will buy their game.

Anyone else have any input as to whether things have improved with this latest patch?

It's fixed a lot of the RNG elements with the new patch. You still have to do multiple runs to see all the rooms, but they are spawning much more often than before.

I did a run yesterday of a few biomes and rooms that I never saw before spawned in one run where I collected 6 ciphers and 3 audio logs that I never got before in previous runs.

So I've very close to the Platinum with 2 ciphers and 1 audio log remaining, could probably get it in the next run, which I'll try soon.

• Like 2

FWIW - Like a few of you i was stuck on 18/20 Biome 2 ciphers after this patch. I did speed runs until i found the big tornado hand room w/ the 19/20 cipher in it. No trophy pop yet. 

My last cipher was in a completely unexpected space, a room i'd encountered multiple times before. At the very top of the map (where you go if you take the boss room shortcut) on one far end is a long hallway that sometimes has three turrets in it, sometimes with shields and sometimes without. In the room coming off of this just opposite the entrance to the aforementioned hallway was the 20/20 cipher, on the side/face of some steps leading up to a rocky path. 

Good luck

3 hours ago, Mojo-9000 said:

FWIW - Like a few of you i was stuck on 18/20 Biome 2 ciphers after this patch. I did speed runs until i found the big tornado hand room w/ the 19/20 cipher in it. No trophy pop yet. 

My last cipher was in a completely unexpected space, a room i'd encountered multiple times before. At the very top of the map (where you go if you take the boss room shortcut) on one far end is a long hallway that sometimes has three turrets in it, sometimes with shields and sometimes without. In the room coming off of this just opposite the entrance to the aforementioned hallway was the 20/20 cipher, on the side/face of some steps leading up to a rocky path. 

Good luck

You actually got 20/20 on biome 2?

5 hours ago, T1MBO_SLYCE said:

You actually got 20/20 on biome 2?

I did, I don’t know if this is a new feature, but if you press touchpad and go to the data menu with the ciphers, it will have an in-game counter on the right side of the screen, listed vertically by biome, and I had 20/20 for Biome 2. This was never reflected in my activity cards however, last I’d checked it only told me Crimson Wastes were 95% complete.

On 17/06/2021 at 4:11 AM, Ninailez said:

Good choice,

The RNG spawn locations of the ciphers is completely asinine, I spent 15 hours on Biome 2, 19/20, hundreds or re-runs before I woke up to myself and called it quits.

Never seen a collectable system in a game this bad.

• Like 2

I started and finished the game with patch 1.4.0 installed. It took me 33 hours to get the platinum according to the in-game statistics. I don't know if that timer pauses when i pause the game.

Maybe i just got incredibly lucky or the patches really fixed some of the worse collectibles.

Biome 2 was the only one that still sucked. I was able to finish the other biomes in <10 runs, but the last 2 ciphers in biome 2 took me like 10-15 additional speedruns alone.

• Like 2