PS5 or Xbox Series X

vanessaking2

I'll put it like this. I've heard a lot of jokes about how the PS5 is hard to get, how it doesn't have any games, haha, it's all very funny.

I haven't heard anything at all about the XbeX.

I don't see any point to getting it. Everything on Xbox is available, in better quality, on PC. Consoles are basically only worth it for exclusives (or trophies obviously ;)) and while the PS5 has some of those now, Xbox doesn't seem to have anything. I haven't even seen a single new Xbox game at physical game stores I've gone to. Why?

• Like 1

At this moment in time, neither. Xbox is sort of pointless anymore as the games can be had on PC for cheaper (in most cases much, much cheaper), and the PS5's launch lineup is ridiculously poor compared to every single Playstation before it. Then you have the fact that the majority of the upcoming PS5 "exclusives" are also going to be on PS4. It blows my mind that people are still putting themselves through hell trying to obtain one.

In 2 or 3 years, PS5 will definitely be a much more attractive console and the clear winner of the two, especially if Sony produces more titles like the most recent Ratchet and Clank that actually take advantage of the hardware. But yeah, right now both consoles are pretty lame. I will give Microsoft points on one thing; they genuinely seem to care about backwards compatability. I hoped for the longest time that the PS5 would be able to play PS2 discs, only to then find out that the CEO doesn't understand why people would want to play old games. What a joke. That guy is killing everything that made Playstation unique & attractive.

3 minutes ago, EverythingOnFire said:

At this moment in time, neither. Xbox is sort of pointless anymore as the games can be had on PC for cheaper (in most cases much, much cheaper), and the PS5's launch lineup is ridiculously poor compared to every single Playstation before it. Then you have the fact that the majority of the upcoming PS5 "exclusives" are also going to be on PS4. It blows my mind that people are still putting themselves through hell trying to obtain one.

In 2 or 3 years, PS5 will definitely be a much more attractive console and the clear winner of the two, especially if Sony produces more titles like the most recent Ratchet and Clank that actually take advantage of the hardware. But yeah, right now both consoles are pretty lame. I will give Microsoft points on one thing; they genuinely seem to care about backwards compatability. I hoped for the longest time that the PS5 would be able to play PS2 discs, only to then find out that the CEO doesn't understand why people would want to play old games. What a joke. That guy is killing everything that made Playstation unique & attractive.

How is the Ps5 launch lineup poor? So you are telling me it had a better launch lineup vs the PS4? Demon Souls and Astro's playroom vs KZ Shadow Fall and Knack. Which sounds more appealing? Unless we talk indies/smaller titles and then you have resogun which was stellar. Also in the first 6-8 mths of PS4, if i remember correctly, the only big launch on PS4 was Infamous. Meanwhile on PS5 we had Returnal and now Ratchet and Clank. The reason why PS4 seems more impressive is because from a hardware standpoint, the PS4 seemed to be leaps ahead of the PS3. Snappy UI etc whereas the PS4 is still more than acceptable currently. I do agree with you that if you didn't get one at launch, there isn't really a point in trying to buy one from a scalper or some shit because HZD and God of war are coming to ps4

• Like 1

The thing about the Xbox is, it's always been potential with them.  Every generation it's "look at this amazing group of exclusives on the way, it's not just about Halo, Gears and Forza anymore" and every generation those games come out with 6-7 out of 10's across the board and little to no fanfare.  They're set way better now with all of their recent acquisitions... but it's all still potential.  How can anyone say with a straight face that this is the generation they turn it around, after like 3 generations of not turning it around?  Put up or shut up time.  I hope they crush it because it means some great games to play, but I'm not holding my breath.

Personally, I intend to own both, but the PS5 will realistically get way more use.  I'm fortunately not at a point in my life where I need to value price over quality, so Game Pass doesn't really do anything for me (my shelf, existing backlog and insatiable interest in buying more games is my Game Pass, a much cooler one mind you ;) )... and while Game Pass is a great move for the masses, Xbox isn't much without it right now.  I'll take the console with better games 9 times out of 10, because it's about the games at the end of the day.

54 minutes ago, EverythingOnFire said:

I will give Microsoft points on one thing; they genuinely seem to care about backwards compatability

I really don't have anything against Microsoft or Xbox, but be careful what you believe out of these companies.  Microsoft has been lagging behind for generations now, and things like backwards compatibility, crossplay, cheap Game Pass subscriptions are all very PR friendly moves.  Moves that they'd probably take back in a heartbeat if they somehow ended up on top and had enough breathing room to not care about their newfound "gamer loving" image as much.

54 minutes ago, EverythingOnFire said:

I hoped for the longest time that the PS5 would be able to play PS2 discs, only to then find out that the CEO doesn't understand why people would want to play old games

*looks at all the people buying digital content and Game Pass popularity, not concerned and openly mocking those that do care about what happens when the network inevitably goes down*

I can't blame him for thinking that way, gaming is turning into a throwaway culture of getting in as cheap as possible and deleting/selling as soon as you're done.  At this point I'm just glad Sony seems more dedicated to actual physical disc copies... where Microsoft isn't even giving the option of physical Series X discs (they're Xbox One versions with Series X "smart delivery" downloads).  Their one Series X/S exclusive so far, The Medium, didn't even have a physical release.

EDIT: BTW, none of those Xbox backwards compatibility games work without the internet.  The disc is just a DRM check and access to download the game.  Not exactly what I'd call true backwards compatibility or "playing discs"... but still a step better than Playstation for anything older than PS4 I guess.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, abhinandhan22 said:

How is the Ps5 launch lineup poor? So you are telling me it had a better launch lineup vs the PS4? Demon Souls and Astro's playroom vs KZ Shadow Fall and Knack. Which sounds more appealing? Unless we talk indies/smaller titles and then you have resogun which was stellar. Also in the first 6-8 mths of PS4, if i remember correctly, the only big launch on PS4 was Infamous. Meanwhile on PS5 we had Returnal and now Ratchet and Clank. The reason why PS4 seems more impressive is because from a hardware standpoint, the PS4 seemed to be leaps ahead of the PS3. Snappy UI etc whereas the PS4 is still more than acceptable currently. I do agree with you that if you didn't get one at launch, there isn't really a point in trying to buy one from a scalper or some shit because HZD and God of war are coming to ps4

TBH, I thought the PS4 launch lineup was weak too, but at least the games were new and somewhat appealing to me in the beggining. Nothing in the PS5's launch lineup is appealing to me. Miles Morales looks like it could have been a $25 expansion to the first game, and OG Demon's Souls came out almost 12 years ago. I love both Bluepoint and Japan Studio, but a remake of a niche title isn't going to sell me on the system. Astro's Playroom looks great, and I know a lot of people adore it, but again it's not enough to sell me on the system. Expansions w/ nicer visuals, remakes, and great tech demos aren't enough for me.

Having said all that, Returnal does look amazing. If and when I ever get a PS5, it will be the first game I pick up.

34 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I really don't have anything against Microsoft or Xbox, but be careful what you believe out of these companies.  Microsoft has been lagging behind for generations now, and things like backwards compatibility, crossplay, cheap Game Pass subscriptions are all very PR friendly moves.  Moves that they'd probably take back in a heartbeat if they somehow ended up on top and had enough breathing room to not care about their newfound "gamer loving" image as much.

Oh, most definitely. I have and enjoy a 360, and around 2010 the exclusives (the ONLY thing it had going for it) started to die, and it's been downhill ever since. Phil Spencer is the king of broken promises, and I take everything they say with a grain of salt. Having said that, I just think it's really neat that you can buy a 9th generation Xbox and pop in BLACK or Bloodrayne 2 and have fun. To me, that's a huge advantage, and like I said above, really the only advantage Xbox has.

PS5 for me as i've had it since the original.

But i remember back in the PS2 days years after when the original xbox came out, my mum took me to this house and they had an xbox there always and i loved it, the games were more realistic and better than on my PS2.

So no hate on it, i'm sure if i started on that i'd be on Xbox still.

My ps5 has been sitting in the box since I got it like 4 months ago and I use it as a foot rest. That being said, it's just waiting to be used as I have never had any intention of going back to Xbox after I sold the 360 to buy a PS3 (despite having Sony consoles since the PSX anyway)

I have neither but at the moment I'm leaning more towards Xbox Series X if I had to choose just one of them. Game Pass on PC has been amazing and getting an Xbox would offer an even wider range of titles to play (currently playing Aragami via EA Play which is included in Game Pass subscription). 
Unfortunately Sony's exclusives seem pretty uninteresting to me these days so I see no reason to get a PS5.

• Like 1

I’m a Sony boi for life at this point, even though Sony has been pissing me off a lot lately.

But man… that X-Box Game Pass does sound amazing. If anything could cause me to switch allegiances it would be something that. If Sony was smart, they’ll scrap PS Now and offer something similar to Game Pass in the future. I know that people say PS Now has drastically improved it’s offerings in the last couple of years, and the ability to play old PS3 games is a huge benefit for a lot of people. But it seems that Game Pass offers a much better selection overall, and is superior when it comes to new games and day 1 releases.

This is just my own opinion, but it also seems to me that when it comes to the customer service end of things, Microsoft is far more attentive of their services, the people that rely on them, and far more willing to continually invest and improve the overall experience. Sony has always seemed far more neglectful towards their services like PS Now and the people who use them. This makes Game Pass look like a far more attractive bet over the long term as console gaming evolves and the traditional business model for selling and distributing games continues to change.

• Like 3

On 12.06.2021 at 8:34 PM, dieselmanchild said:

I’m a Sony boi for life at this point, even though Sony has been pissing me off a lot lately.

But man… that X-Box Game Pass does sound amazing. If anything could cause me to switch allegiances it would be something that. If Sony was smart, they’ll scrap PS Now and offer something similar to Game Pass in the future. I know that people say PS Now has drastically improved it’s offerings in the last couple of years, and the ability to play old PS3 games is a huge benefit for a lot of people. But it seems that Game Pass offers a much better selection overall, and is superior when it comes to new games and day 1 releases.

This is just my own opinion, but it also seems to me that when it comes to the customer service end of things, Microsoft is far more attentive of their services, the people that rely on them, and far more willing to continually invest and improve the overall experience. Sony has always seemed far more neglectful towards their services like PS Now and the people who use them. This makes Game Pass look like a far more attractive bet over the long term as console gaming evolves and the traditional business model for selling and distributing games continues to change.

Edited by Paoling-PS
  • Like 1

I have both a PS5 and XSX. While Game Pass is great, there haven't been many new games added to it that piqued my interest with the exception of the Medium and Outriders. What I decided is that I will keep buying new games for PS5 unless they're also coming to Game Pass. I only got an XSX because of the horrendous GPU prices, once I get my hands on a normal priced GPU I'll ditch the XSX while keeping my Game Pass subscription, so that's another reason for me to buy new games on PS5. I'm fortunate enough that I can afford hardware and new games at full price, but the value Game Pass provides is amazing and with tricks like the XBL Gold conversion and buying cheap Game Pass keys, a year of Game Pass costs as little as 40€.

Not to forget that XSX also offers hardware features that the PS5 is still lacking like VRR, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos and SSD storage expansion, so the PS5 has some catching up to do.

16 minutes ago, vgor1988 said:

I have both a PS5 and XSX. While Game Pass is great, there haven't been many new games added to it that piqued my interest with the exception of the Medium and Outriders. What I decided is that I will keep buying new games for PS5 unless they're also coming to Game Pass. I only got an XSX because of the horrendous GPU prices, once I get my hands on a normal priced GPU I'll ditch the XSX while keeping my Game Pass subscription, so that's another reason for me to buy new games on PS5. I'm fortunate enough that I can afford hardware and new games at full price, but the value Game Pass provides is amazing and with tricks like the XBL Gold conversion and buying cheap Game Pass keys, a year of Game Pass costs as little as 40€.

Not to forget that XSX also offers hardware features that the PS5 is still lacking like VRR, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos and SSD storage expansion, so the PS5 has some catching up to do.

The Medium is coming to PS5 soon. 

When I eventually do choose my next-gen console it won’t be Xbox. I’ve lost the little respect I had for Microsoft when they turned to buying out third party companies (Bethesda) purely so they’d have Exclusives, because they end up with the same three, which aren’t even that great.

pS5 will have some fantastic exclusives thanks to Sony cultivating its in-house studios into what they are today. Xbox doesn’t do that it just buys up established studios to be ♥ish

• Like 4

If Xbox Series X was the bottomline for the exclusives I would have gotten that over the PS5, even though I wouldn't be touching Game Pass . Jim Ryan is fucking up that much for me right now.

Edited by Eraezr