Assassin's Creed Valhalla Will Be Getting More DLC For Year Two

25 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Preach brother. I am in the minority here, but I’ve really come to despise DLCs with a passion. I fucking hate them.

It’s a scummy business model, and irritates me to no end that it will never, ever go away because 99% of the player base is so eager to throw money at extra content months or years after release - even if it’s just empty, bloated add-ons that were most likely developed as part of the main game to begin with, and typically offer up more of the same experience you had in the vanilla game. You could chop off a couple of my fingers and I could still literally count the number of games I’ve personally played that actually had fantastic, worthwhile downloadable content on that one hand.

Most companies don’t even try to get creative and introduce something new or interesting in DLC packs these days, because why the hell would they? People are going to throw their money at you regardless so why even bother putting in the time and effort developing something original and creative. And we’re starting to see more and more companies cooking up these multi-tiered DLC rollouts with multiple season passes.

I know it’s not my business what people do with their money, but if people keep allowing themselves to be suckered into buying this stuff it’s only a matter of time before multiple season passes per game becomes the norm.

Everything here is spot on. The idea of there being second year DLC in the year 2022 doesn't sit well with me. That just sounds like more money grubbing. All of the other Assassin's Creed games had concluded their DLC in the year after the initial releases. This is taking it a step too far in my opinion.

Whoever made that comment in the article on PST.org describes exactly how I'm feeling right now.

• Like 2

After playing Odyssey I decided to skip this game. I felt that game was just huge for the sake of being huge. A lot of filler content whose purpose is to keep you busy in the game, nothing was really memorable. Valhalla was the first entry in the Assassin's Creed series I haven't played, and it seems I never will because it's just more of what I hated in Odyssey.

I believe people are not getting mad because the game is being supported two years after its release, I think it's because it's mostly a cash grab, kind of poor or barely good enough quality content. Even more so if you have to buy a second season pass.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, leandrorhcp said:

After playing Odyssey I decided to skip this game. I felt that game was just huge for the sake of being huge. A lot of filler content whose purpose is to keep you busy in the game, nothing was really memorable. Valhalla was the first entry in the Assassin's Creed series I haven't played, and it seems I never will because it's just more of what I hated in Odyssey.

I believe people are not getting mad because the game is being supported two years after its release, I think it's because it's mostly a cash grab, kind of poor or barely good enough quality content. Even more so if you have to buy a second season pass.

I hated Odyssey for basically the same reasons as you. It was boring, dialogs were cringe, the main protagonist was dumb, all the islands were the same after a while, etc. Odyssey and the length of Valhalla were the reasons I initially decided to skip Valhalla. In the end, I bought it because of a combination of the game being on sale and another upcoming hard COVID-19 lockdown in our country.

The best decision I made. I enjoyed all of the 120+ hours it took me to Platinum. In comparison, I was bored to death after 10 hours of Odyssey. I still don't understand how I was able to finish it with all the DLCs. It made me realize, I don't want to spend any more of my time on games I don't like just for the sake of completion. Valhalla made me remember why I used to like Assassin's Creeds - mainly because of the world itself, which I think is beautifully crafted.

Edited by BloodyRutz
  • Like 3

On 14/06/2021 at 3:34 AM, Infected Elite said:

people just like to bitch.  Unless it specifically benefits them as an individual, they complain. Especially AJ. 

Finally, someone speaking the truth. The amount of people on this website who kick up a stink and cry because developers don't pander to them personally is really depressing. 

• Like 3

To everyone saying people are bitching about more content, I don't think it's the case here. I love Killing Floor 2 and appreciate that they give out free maps and weapons frequently.

The problem here is that the content they are giving out has been mediocre at best. I'm "bitching' because this is the worst game and it's getting a year 2. Now if Origins or Odyssey got a year 2 I would've loved it. But Valhalla's idea of content has just been "do this and rinse and repeat". This isn't about trophies this is about trying to make an impactful game to the players, something memorable and giving a sense that the player matters in the world. Not having to ride across a world to pluck a berry to be ambushed and then finding out that it didn't mean anything.

More content or going beyond an initial support date does not mean that the game is good or going to get better. It just means that new players are going to be burnt out and by the time they get to the DLC, they might not even play it.

• Like 2

This topic should be linked to the current price increase topic from Ratchet & Clank: Rift apart.

70€ for a game where I only read positive reviews and the word “fun” and “amazing gameplay”.

Fuck greedy filler shit content and all these season passes.

I’d rather pay 100€ for an amazing 20hr game vs 60€+season pass 20€+20€ season pass 2 + bunch of microtransactions + bugged stuff

tldr: I’ll still play this game because 100% OCD?

• Like 2

On 2021-06-13 at 6:48 PM, AJ_Radio said:

Everything here is spot on. The idea of there being second year DLC in the year 2022 doesn't sit well with me. That just sounds like more money grubbing. All of the other Assassin's Creed games had concluded their DLC in the year after the initial releases. This is taking it a step too far in my opinion.

Whoever made that comment in the article on PST.org describes exactly how I'm feeling right now.

The idea of DLCs being released so far from release appears to be a new trend emerging as well. We saw that Conan Exiles get a random DLC recently some 3 years or so later for example, and now Valhalla with a second year of DLC. This could all just be an anomaly, but I suspect not.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2021 at 1:10 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Nice to hear someone with positive things to say about this one - ?

I haven’t started it yet, but have been looking forward to it - waiting on a PS5 to play.

I’m hopeful, given that most of the negative stuff I hear is from folks who didn’t connect much with Odyssey - which I really liked. I wasn’t so hot on Origins, so it would be nice if Valhalla could prove to me that the new-AC was a formula I like, and not just a one off success for me!

I like AC Valhalla a lot, my total playtime so far is 218 hours. I can't wait for the Siege of Paris DLC and I was so happy when they announced at E3 that there's even more content to come in 2022!

I hope you enjoy the game as well ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, leandrorhcp said:

Very well said my man. Absolutely agree.