Xbox series s as secondary console?

lewy_your_pic

Hello, i’ve been wanting to get a xbox for halo so was contemplating getting a series s for secondary console with having ps5 as main. Just wondering if anyone is in the similar situation and wanted to know how the series s is? I also have a worry in case it won’t be supported in the future 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

The Series S is a weaker console. It would certainly be a way to play Halo, but it wouldn't be surprising if certain games didn't run on it deeper into the console cycle. At the very least, games will likely run worse on it. There's no real way of knowing right now though.

If you only want to play Halo, it might be worth it. Given Halo is worth ~$400 to you.

The smartest thing to do would be to wait a year or two and then figure out if it's worth it though. By then the S should have gotten a price drop, we'll know if Halo is any good, and we'll know if performance on the S is really much different or not. 

yeah that does seem smart just there’s a deal at the big game store in the UK where you can trade in a switch and get a series S for £40 and different prices for other console trade ins 

1 minute ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Might be a good idea later into the generation if Microsoft keeps hoarding Bethesda exclusives & others. Getting an S for cheap and game passing it up might be the way to go.

i was wanting to only use it for the exclusives and there’s a deal at Game in the UK for the series S 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lewy_your_pic said:

yeah that does seem smart just there’s a deal at the big game store in the UK where you can trade in a switch and get a series S for £40 and different prices for other console trade ins 

If you're 100% certain that you won't miss your Switch, then I'd say yeah, go for it. Like Darling Baphomet said, it would be nice to have for both Gamepass & future Bethesda games.

BTW, will the Series S be pre-owned? If so, I would demand that you are able to get a good look at it before you carry it out of the store.

I'm curious, will the Series S be just to play Halo Infinite, or are you planning on getting the Master Chief Collection as well?

Edited by EverythingOnFire
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, EverythingOnFire said:

If you're 100% certain that you won't miss your Switch, then I'd say yeah, go for it. Like Darling Baphomet said, it would be nice to have for both Gamepass & future Bethesda games. Keep in mind that every game you buy will most likely be more expensive due to it being an all-digital console. Discs are usually cheaper, even when they're brand new.

BTW, will the Series S be pre-owned? If so, I would demand that you are able to get a good look at it before you carry it out of the store.

I'm curious, will the Series S be just to play Halo Infinite, or are you planning on getting the Master Chief Collection as well?

probably MCC for the time being and then switch when infinite comes out if i want both i’ll just save for a expansion i think i’ll need it anyway but that’ll be future and it’ll be used for other exclusives as i wanted to play starfield too. I think it’s a new one but i will check of course i remember they always used to do this with consoles and games used to get new xbox 360 and ps3 games for 99p if you trade in certain games 

1 minute ago, MilanYildirim said:

I think the best option would be getting Series X as a primary console. Sony is going to lose that generation harder than Microsoft on last gen’s race. What an e3 show it was.

wasn’t that good imo but yes one of their best. i still prefer playstation anyway just i grew up on halo and like some bethesda games 

1 minute ago, lewy_your_pic said:

probably MCC for the time being and then switch when infinite comes out if i want both i’ll just save for a expansion i think i’ll need it anyway but that’ll be future and it’ll be used for other exclusives as i wanted to play starfield too. I think it’s a new one but i will check of course i remember they always used to do this with consoles and games used to get new xbox 360 and ps3 games for 99p if you trade in certain games 

If it's new, then that's a pretty great deal. Please just be 1000% certain that you won't miss that Switch. In my youth, I got rid of a lot of systems and games, and I've come to regret it quite a bit. I didn't even question it; I was certain. I'm slowly replacing most of it, but it's not cheap.

MCC is awesome. Very buggy when it came out (even the single player campaigns on 2 of the games), but I had a lot of fun with it. Halo 2 Anniversary is amazing, and I even liked Halo 4 quite a bit. Halo 5 is honestly pretty terrible compared to the rest. If you want to play it, I would recommend you do it for as cheap as possible.

Good luck with your decision, and have fun. :)

Ok

15 minutes ago, MilanYildirim said:

I think the best option would be getting Series X as a primary console. Sony is going to lose that generation harder than Microsoft on last gen’s race. What an e3 show it was.

PS5 has outsold BOTH Xbox consoles.  Microsoft will fall behind Sony and Nintendo because of the market appeal.  To answer OP question, I'd go for it.  For $300 (US), it's certainly solid for the price.  It's a very solid system.

• Like 3

Given that Series S lacks a Bluray drive, I'd rather get a Series X. Series X is better at playing the backward compatible 360 games, also. Whatever you get, I'll recommend Ninja Gaiden 2 (the original 360 one which is $29.99 on the MS store, but worth it even if you've already bought the NG Master Collection). It's IMO superior to NG Sigma 2. NG2 has some slowdowns and frame drops on a 360, but it performs better on Series S/X and the Xbox Ones.

4 minutes ago, grimydawg___ said:

Ok

PS5 has outsold BOTH Xbox consoles.  Microsoft will fall behind Sony and Nintendo because of the market appeal.  To answer OP question, I'd go for it.  For $300 (US), it's certainly solid for the price.  It's a very solid system.

Money Is not in console Sales so your opinion is incorrect.

Xbox series x is the better option if you can afford it BTW.

Edited by Dan-lives-here

If you only want to play a few games on it as a second console then I say go for it, obviously you'll miss you on physical games dropping in price quicker than they do digitally, but Halo and other Microsoft and third party games will be day 1 on Game Pass.

Do the thing where you buy three years of Gold and pay £1 (guessing $1 is the US offer equivalent) to upgrade to GP Ultimate and you're golden.

They may not look as good as Series X or PS5 but I can't imagine the gameplay differences will be all that noticeable.

Plus it's a great way to emulate up to and including PS2 and Gamecube, I believe!

16 minutes ago, Dan-lives-here said:

Money Is not in console Sales so your opinion is incorrect.

Xbox series x is the better option if you can afford it BTW.

PS5 has outsold both Xbox consoles.  That's a fact.  If OP main system is PS5, just save the $200.  The gaming experience will be the same pretty much.

Edited by grimydawg___
  • Like 4

Just get a pc and call it a day, I really don't see the point in getting an Xbox when everything they put out goes there. For how much the console costs I'd say it's worth it if you just want to play some Xbox exclusives but I don't think it's worth getting if you're looking for a true current gen representation. 

4 hours ago, Gibbo_0113 said:

Gamepass means nothing to a physical collector like myself

I’m also a physical collector but I like Game Pass. It’s a nice way to check games out for $1 then buy a physical copy later if you like the game.

• Like 4