Password issues with PS3 Store purchases

So, last night I was trying to download a game and some DLC from the PS3 Store and it kept giving me a message when trying to check out that my password wasn’t valid (when I knew it was) but I changed it anyway and was going to try again only to be met with a “undergoing maintenance” message when I tried to open the Store. 

I tried again today using my new password. Same problem. Even though I had to sign in on PSN with the new PW, which worked fine. The only way I was able to purchase the games was by going over to my PS4 and briefly turning off password requirements for purchases, and then turning it back on as soon as the purchase went through. 

Really freaking annoying. Mostly posting this in case others run into the same issue to let them know there’s a simple workaround. 

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y
  • Like 1

The part about changing a setting on the PS4 is the part that's required. I've had the same problem in the past. The newer security settings screw with older systems that didn't have them built in at base. You'll have the same issue with the Vita.

You can disable the 'Require password at checkout' on the PS3 itself (and on the Vita). No need to use your PS4.

On PS3 starting from the XMB:

Account Management --> Transaction Management , it will be the second option from the top on this menu

On Vita starting in the store app:

Three dots --> Transaction Management --> Security

• Like 2

The store is utterly broken at this point. I’ve had several transactions not come through despite having entered my information correctly several times. 

The PS3 is too old anymore for Sony to continuously support it. I’m honestly surprised it got a system update at all this month.

On 6/20/2021 at 1:27 PM, MrHealthy said:

You can disable the 'Require password at checkout' on the PS3 itself (and on the Vita). No need to use your PS4.

On PS3 starting from the XMB:

Account Management --> Transaction Management , it will be the second option from the top on this menu

On Vita starting in the store app:

Three dots --> Transaction Management --> Security

Might need to do it from the PS4 as well if one is registered to the account. It kept blocking me until I disabled 'require password' on all three. The PSN is pretty inconsistent about...everything.

• Like 1