Resident Evil Village DLC - Shadow of Rose (October 28, 2022)

ziggypossum

On 10/25/2022 at 4:11 PM, JingjangSotona said:

Not entirely clear on the effect of this DLC for the mercenaries mode in the original game (which, as for many others, is the only trophy holding me from the platinum because I value my mental health). Can you play the new characters in classic RE8 mercs, and if so, does this make it easier? Thanks.

I'm wondering this also, I never got the plat for the original game cause of the mercs mode.. but if the dlc makes it easier.. hmm anyone confirm? <3

The penultimate section on Hardcore in Shadows of Rose was very frustrating with no checkpoints and having to listen to the same dialogue. Other than that, took me 3 hours to beat Shadows of Rose and half an hour to get the 2 Mercenaries trophies. Definitely not worth paying full price for, I recommend waiting for a discount. RE7 had much more variety in it's DLC and also more challenging. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigPadre said:

Hi, 

Would also like to know if the Dlc helps in anyway with getting SS in orignal maps for platinum because have really been putting of mercenaries.

Will probably be slightly easier but you still absolutely need to memorize enemy spawns and chain combos. Fast kills won't matter if you're ending combos, some of them you really need like the entire section to be one big combo. Mercenaries is a little tough but really not that bad - pull up a YT video and follow along with it 10-15 seconds at a time. Pause the game, watch the vid, unpause and imitate. Rinse and repeat. A few of the later ones will 100% take you a few tries or more, but it is far from the hardest thing to do in any of the RE games. I did the imitating method and got the hard levels done within 3-4 hours. And don't bother with that knife method, takes too long to set up and unless you're TRULY awful at the game you can do the imitating method easier.

Edited by ChibsSoA
  • Like 3

On 10/27/2022 at 9:37 PM, BestUsername---- said:

I read somewhere that Capcom decided to shorten the trilogy to 2 games and ended the Winters storyline with this DLC (that wasn’t planned) because people, while liking the games, weren’t engaged with the Winters family or their story. 

That's a damn shame, I was quite looking forward for more of Rose in 9, but this DLC will suffice for now. 

They went easy on us with the Mercenaries trophies this time around. Just need to finish the Normal version of the two new stages, regardless of rank or anything else.

I picked Chris, sold the rifle+ammo and focused on upgrading Straight Punch and (secondarily) the handgun. Got two extremely easy, extremely quick A's (one was almost an S actually) and that was more than enough for the trophies.

Enemy spawns in the new stages also feel tighter, so even if you wanted to try harder in this mode it'd probably be more fun than the base game's areas. Personally, though, I've had enough of Mercenaries so I'll leave it at this.

Moving on to Shadows of Rose now.

• Like 3

What a lackluster dlc, recycled areas in Shadow of Rose story seems lazy. I was hoping for something a little different. And the price tag is eyewatering definitely not worth €19.99. I would be a lot less critical had it cost €9.99.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

What a lackluster dlc, recycled areas in Shadow of Rose story seems lazy. I was hoping for something a little different. And the price tag is eyewatering definitely not worth €19.99. I would be a lot less critical had it cost €9.99.

I 100% back this. 10 bucks would have been fine but for 20? Nah, I pass

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Umdytr said:

They went easy on us with the Mercenaries trophies this time around. Just need to finish the Normal version of the two new stages, regardless of rank or anything else.

I picked Chris, sold the rifle+ammo and focused on upgrading Straight Punch and (secondarily) the handgun. Got two extremely easy, extremely quick A's (one was almost an S actually) and that was more than enough for the trophies.

Enemy spawns in the new stages also feel tighter, so even if you wanted to try harder in this mode it'd probably be more fun than the base game's areas. Personally, though, I've had enough of Mercenaries so I'll leave it at this.

Moving on to Shadows of Rose now.

This is great advice and made the two new mercenaries mode trophies a breeze although I upgraded the handgun as primary to keep distance between myself and the enemies. Thanks for sharing. 

It’s worth noting that it’s not regardless of rank, you must get an A rank on Bloody Village to unlock Bloody River.

Edited by GAZDAN
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, anotherfangirl said:

Exactly this! I wanted to start with Lady Dimitrescu and now I have to unlock her first...

On 10/29/2022 at 6:41 AM, ZZ383 said:

I'm fuckin pissed I have to play Mercenaries to unlock the new characters. 

This is not what I paid $20 for. 

What's so bad about having to unlock characters? Besides it's not like it's a lengthy or difficult process, just play Chris (who is a new character) and get through the stages that way. 

My opinion is that the SoR DLC doesn't offer anything interesting. Same locations taken from the main game. The plot was probably written at the last minute. Seriously... playing SoR was often embarrassing for me.

What else is left for me here? Third Person Perspective in main story of Resident Evil Village. That's why I don't regret it and cant wait to start it. The rest is just rubbish for me. I do not regret the money spent, this is my hobby and not every game is a game of the year. Just a matter of taste as always.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SnakeSound222 said:

What's so bad about having to unlock characters? Besides it's not like it's a lengthy or difficult process, just play Chris (who is a new character) and get through the stages that way. 

The bad is I paid $20 to not be able to play as Lady D. Even if I was the god of RE Mercenaries, and Triple S every level, I would be pissed. 

Paying for something and then not getting what you paid for is pretty shitty. Locking it behind a "play"-wall, is not cool.

What if in the original RE4 you had to beat the game to unlock the red laser sight instead of automatically having it for every gun?   But every gameplay video and trailer showed it off? I use this as an example because it is the first RE game I know of, bar all light-gun types, that give you an actual aiming reticle for your weapon. A huge quality of life improvement they technically didn't have to do. It never bothered anyone playing the oldschool tank shooter games where missing a shot could get you killed from lack of ammo, why would it bother you when you have literally a hundred shotgun shells to blow away any ganado.

Edited by ZZ383
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, ZZ383 said:

The bad is I paid $20 to not be able to play as Lady D. Even I was the god of RE Mercenaries, and Triple S every level, I would be pissed. 

Paying for something and then not getting what you paid for is pretty shitty. 

Not that I care about Mercenaries, these new dlc characters or any mp in a series that should only be single player, I agree locking Lady D behind playing something you don't want to is shitty. They should have been available from the start.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZZ383 said:

The bad is I paid $20 to not be able to play as Lady D. Even if I was the god of RE Mercenaries, and Triple S every level, I would be pissed. 

Paying for something and then not getting what you paid for is pretty shitty. Locking it behind a "play"-wall, is not cool.

What if in the original RE4 you had to beat the game to unlock the red laser sight instead of automatically having it for every gun?   But every gameplay video and trailer showed it off? I use this as an example because it is the first RE game I know of, bar all light-gun types, that give you an actual aiming reticle for your weapon. A huge quality of life improvement they technically didn't have to do. It never bothered anyone playing the oldschool tank shooter games where missing a shot could get you killed from lack of ammo, why would it bother you when you have literally a hundred shotgun shells to blow away any ganado.

You had to unlock the characters in RE4 Mercenaries...

Fair enough this is a DLC that's paid for but that's part of the fun. Getting S rank in every stage to unlock the character we all want to play increases the replyability. 

Just my opinion though. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I paid for this DLC, and now they're making me play it!

karen-ok.gif

I don't think most people bought it to play Mercenaries and making you play it more than necessary is not fun at least playing with Lady D could be fun. Mercenaries is a terrible mode and I for one will not buy the next game if it's included.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I paid for this DLC, and now they're making me play it!

karen-ok.gif

They're making you play it well. It's not just play any level and get any score to unlock Lady D, it's get an S rank on at least one level if I remember correctly. 

I didn't buy it because I wanted something new to challenge me, I bought it to have Lady D unlocked from the start, to fuck around with, not to have to be good with Ethan or Chris to wait 30 minutes as I learn the stages and 'git gud' , there will be people who bought it to play the highly anticipated and heavily marketed Lady D character and then find out that they can't unless they get good enough to unlock her. It's fucking stupid. 

Your opinion is D rank if you think that was a good execution.

@DoctorDrPepper   Nothing you earned in the main campaign carries over. You're fucked on Hardcore unless you can get Rose to awkwardly shamble out of danger of being caught by enemies, the base pistol takes about 7 shots to down an enemy on Hardcore and I doubt there's enough ammo to down all the enemies. 

Edited by ZZ383
  • Like 1