HOW THE $@!& DO I FREEZE PEOPLE?!

The damn gun shoots when I release square, applying less pressure works in a way but is EXTREMELY unreliable. Video on YouTube shows a guy on xbox freezing pressing the equivalent of our L3 but ofc it doesn't work. I'm sure is something pretty dumb I'm missing :( 

• Like 1

Love that avatar of yours. Stan from the Secret of Monkey Island. Very old game, but an all time classic.

I’ll be doing Metal Gear Solid 2 in the future. Problem is I have a fake controller so I don’t know how it’s going to handle the square button on those hold up missions. 

They look brutal, that’s for sure.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Leenewbe said:

if i remember correctly the ps2 buttons were pressure sensitive, where as the ps3 ones aren't, maybe try this.

DualShock 3 has analog buttons too. You don't see a whole lot of games using it, but it's there. One example is Resident Evil 5. If you've played the mission where Chris and Sheva are on the hovercraft over the water, you can speed up and slow down by applying different amounts of pressure to the X and R1 buttons.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Love that avatar of yours. Stan from the Secret of Monkey Island. Very old game, but an all time classic.

I’ll be doing Metal Gear Solid 2 in the future. Problem is I have a fake controller so I don’t know how it’s going to handle the square button on those hold up missions. 

We clearly are of another generation because I know yours. Keen I think. playing in dos. :D  Feel old right now.

2 minutes ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

DualShock 3 has analog buttons too. You don't see a whole lot of games using it, but it's there. One example is Resident Evil 5. If you've played the mission where Chris and Sheva are on the hovercraft over the water, you can speed up and slow down by applying different amounts of pressure to the X and R1 buttons.

The problem is that I have to collect a billion dog tags in multiple playtrough, I can't shoot every single guy twice before doing it right. there must be something I'm missing. or at least, I hope :( 

• Like 1

Oh God those damn pressure sensitive hold ups. I gave up on MGS2 in part because of the dog tag collecting but also because of the VR missions. I managed to make it to final set of missions but it was pissing me off too much - it was one of those gauntlet ones that culminates with the giant soldier. 

I went back to it on a whim during a PSNOW free trial but I don't think the Dualshock 4 has pressure sensitive buttons so that was that. Good luck!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I'll second the love for the avatar, that series is one of my favourite of all time.

Those hold up missions are brutal! But you'll be able to do them, if the controller is the problem though, that can be easily rectified. I reckon you'll be fine though there is only a few which really require precise button presses. Considering some of the games I know you've played that require precise movement I think you should ace it.

32 minutes ago, Sk1pper_Oz said:

The problem is that I have to collect a billion dog tags in multiple playtrough, I can't shoot every single guy twice before doing it right. there must be something I'm missing. or at least, I hope

I'll try and offer some advice if I can, I haven't actually played MGS2 since 2013, but its probably one of the games I've played the most. I'd done all those dog tags and hold up missions back in the day before there were trophies for them so I'll try and give you a few tips.

• If it is in the main campaign you are struggling with the hold up mechanic - and you know that you aren't likely to need any ammo - then you could maybe try unloading all of your ammo somewhere (particularly helpful if you have a suppressor otherwise it will alert everyone)  so that alleviates the problem of accidentally shooting a sleep dart into a guard! Believe me I've done that plenty. That works less on  higher difficulties because the guards don't give their dog tags up as easily without a bullet or two to the knees as an incentive :D
  • You could use the hold up missions themselves as practice for the dog tag collecting in the main campaign. I know that might seem counter productive, but they really help give an indication of which angle you can truly approach enemies from undetected and how close to them you have to be to initiate the hold-up process. You can pretty much repeat them very quickly too, so you don't have to worry about being penalised for anything. You'll know if you've shot the gun as well as you'll hear it, so I used to use them as my practice area for knowing how hard I had to press the button to not shoot at the same time, because that can be a real pain.
  • From what I remember- you only really have to worry about pressure on the hold ups when using the M4 which I think is exclusive to the VR Missions anyway. You won't need to use it to hold up during the story. On those I'd recommend just the lightest of taps, maybe the side of the button? Basically get really close to the enemy and just as Snake starts to raise his weapon release the trigger. That is definitely one of the VR missions I had to repeat the most.
  • I used to more run into the problem of double tapping when holding the button down so I'd shoot when I was trying to switch into first person mode, to shake them down so I suppose there is a bit of a delicate balance between holding it down too hard and the game thinking you've pressed the button twice. It might take a while to find the pressure spot that feels right for you.

I do understand the frustration though, some of the mechanics are more than a little finicky. Some of the Bomb Disposal missions frustrated me from  having to apply a lot of button pressure - because the more pressure you apply to the button the further the coolant spray goes. But you have to REALLY press the button down to get to some of the bombs.

I hope that wall of text is a little helpful though.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

I'll second the love for the Avatar, that series is one of my favourite of all time.

Those hold up missions are brutal! But you'll be able to do them, if the controller is the problem though, that can be easily rectified. I reckon you'll be fine though there is only a few which really require precise button presses. Considering some of the games I know you've played that require precise movement I think you should ace it.

I'll try and offer some advice if I can, I haven't actually played MGS2 since 2013, but its probably one of the games I've played the most. I'd done all those dog tags and hold up missions back in the day before there were trophies for them so I'll try and give you a few tips.

• If it is in the main campaign you are struggling with the hold up mechanic - and you know that you aren't likely to need any ammo - then you could maybe try unloading all of your ammo somewhere (particularly helpful if you have a suppressor otherwise it will alert everyone)  so that alleviates the problem of accidentally shooting a sleep dart into a guard! Believe me I've done that plenty. That works less on  higher difficulties because the guards don't give their dog tags up as easily without a bullet or two to the knees as an incentive :D
  • You could use the hold up missions themselves as practice for the dog tag collecting in the main campaign. I know that might seem counter productive, but they really help give an indication of which angle you can truly approach enemies from undetected and how close to them you have to be to initiate the hold-up process. You can pretty much repeat them very quickly too, so you don't have to worry about being penalised for anything. You'll know if you've shot the gun as well as you'll hear it, so I used to use them as my practice area for knowing how hard I had to press the button to not shoot at the same time, because that can be a real pain.
  • From what I remember- you only really have to worry about pressure on the hold ups when using the M4 which I think is exclusive to the VR Missions anyway. You won't need to use it to hold up during the story. On those I'd recommend just the lightest of taps, maybe the side of the button? Basically get really close to the enemy and just as Snake starts to raise his weapon release the trigger. That is definitely one of the VR missions I had to repeat the most.
  • I used to more run into the problem of double tapping when holding the button down so I'd shoot when I was trying to switch into first person mode, to shake them down so I suppose there is a bit of a delicate balance between holding it down too hard and the game thinking you've pressed the button twice. It might take a while to find the pressure spot that feels right for you.

I do understand the frustration though, some of the mechanics are more than a little finicky. Some of the Bomb Disposal missions frustrated me from  having to apply a lot of button pressure - because the more pressure you apply to the button the further the coolant spray goes. But you have to REALLY press the button down to get to some of the bombs.

I hope that wall of text is a little helpful though.

brilliant idea having an unload gun. as I just started I'm on very easy now, I'll try to practice like that hopefully I'll be good in enough in doing it smoothly when I'll have to go for hard and extreme playtrought. I hoped there was an alternative way tho. When I started this today I knew it would have been a pain, I guess it will be even more then I expected. :S Thank you so much tho

• Like 2

I don’t know how this fares with a PS4 controller, since I generally use that nowadays to play PS3 games. 

I just know from what people have told me that firmly pressing the square button and lightly pushing the square button do two different things in the VR missions. 

I also have the PS Vita version of Metal Gear Solid 2. Hopefully I won’t have to do the VR missions again if I transfer my save files.

Edited by AJ_Radio

36 minutes ago, Sk1pper_Oz said:

brilliant idea having an unload gun. as I just started I'm on very easy now, I'll try to practice like that hopefully I'll be good in enough in doing it smoothly when I'll have to go for hard and extreme playtrought. I hoped there was an alternative way tho. When I started this today I knew it would have been a pain, I guess it will be even more then I expected. :S Thank you so much tho

No worries, happy to help if I can. hopefully some of those tips might help.I think you'll be fine though, it definitely is a bit of a strange process - and it sure does feel unnatural at first. Its even weirder on Twin Snakes on the Gamecube due to some slightly odd button placement. Eventually I think you'll find it will just become muscle memory and feel like second nature.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 1

First person is a different button, but once in first person i point the weapon with square, and when released it shoot if i pressed too hard. I’m 2 hours in the game literally saving every tag i collect. Biggest pain in the ass ever. 

You can try moving behind the enemy and unequip your gun while holding square. Make sure you're not in first person mode when you do it. Quickly knock him out afterwards or just use the M9. Focus on the easier difficulties first as the stealth camo will make it easier on harder difficulties.

Edited by nestamar5

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/3/2023 at 8:21 AM, I-SilentEcho-I said:

They did, as mentioned above you press in L3 to raise and lower your weapon.

The forums are mixed with the PS3 version and the Master Collection. The PS3 version doesn't have this function.