Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water announced

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/08/2021 at 3:13 AM, Leon Hasegawa said:

I pre-order both Asia PS4 and Switch versions on Play-Asia, may get Japanese switch version as well for different cover art. Hopefully, they will remaster the rest of Fatal Frame games. I'm gladly to add new version to my Fatal Frame series.

fNHpRzX.jpg

The free PS5 upgrade ought to work for the physical edition, right? For whatever reason, Koei Tecmo's English website insists the game is digital only.

On 9/20/2021 at 6:31 AM, Eraezr said:

The free PS5 upgrade ought to work for the physical edition, right? For whatever reason, Koei Tecmo's English website insists the game is digital only.

I would wait on that. And yes unfortunately the game is on digital format only on the west. It sucks but Koei Tecmo always has treated the west as a second class citizen. The asian version supports english subtitles you if you want the game on physical format that's the only option you have.

• Like 1

I just received email from Play-Asia about the “price drop” for Asia Switch and PS4 version ($39.99), I think the price is also “dropped” for Japanese version as well ($49.99). I got the refund of $50 for the excess amount which I already paid from Play-Asia; however, I’m not really happy after they updated the listing with the note “Please note that English subtitles are available via patch update in November. 30, 2021”, and they also have this note for Japanese Switch and PS4 version.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Leon Hasegawa said:

I just received email from Play-Asia about the “price drop” for Asia Switch and PS4 version ($39.99), I think the price is also “dropped” for Japanese version as well ($49.99). I got the refund of $50 for the excess amount which I already paid from Play-Asia; however, I’m not really happy after they updated the listing with the note “Please note that English subtitles are available via patch update in November. 30, 2021”, and they also have this note for Japanese Switch and PS4 version.

I got this email as well, and noticed the updated listing (which they didn't inform me of). I have to wonder how accurate it is though, I imagine the patch for English is probably the case for the Japanese version, but the Asian one not coming with English on the disc seems a bit weird considering a lot of Chinese/Asian releases do. I noticed the release date for the Asian version has also changed to 30th November (same day as the supposed patch), it's still 28th October for the Japanese versions though.

Nice to see the Japanese versions actually getting English subtitles now though I guess. I remember I had to change my order because they informed me a few months back that the Japanese copies would only have English audio, not text/subtitles. Guess that's changed now?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I got this email as well, and noticed the updated listing (which they didn't inform me of). I have to wonder how accurate it is though, I imagine the patch for English is probably the case for the Japanese version, but the Asian one not coming with English on the disc seems a bit weird considering a lot of Chinese/Asian releases do. I noticed the release date for the Asian version has also changed to 30th November (same day as the supposed patch), it's still 28th October for the Japanese versions though.

Nice to see the Japanese versions actually getting English subtitles now though I guess. I remember I had to change my order because they informed me a few months back that the Japanese copies would only have English audio, not text/subtitles. Guess that's changed now?

https://www.play-asia.com/search/Fatal+frame

I just search Fatal Frame on Play-Asia, they have another listing for Asia version (Switch and PS4) in Chinese, and the releasing day is the same as Japanese version’s. It also has the note of English patch on November 30, 2021. 

2 minutes ago, Leon Hasegawa said:

https://www.play-asia.com/search/Fatal+frame

I just search Fatal Frame on Play-Asia, they have another listing for Asia version (Switch and PS4) in Chinese, and the releasing day is the same as Japanese version’s. It also has the note of English patch on November 30, 2021. 

Makes me wonder all the more if the Asian version with English that's now been delayed to 30th November isn't just going to have English on the disc. Seems strange for them to delay it a month till the release date of the patch otherwise. Guess we'll just have to wait and see if something or confirmed, or wait over 2 months and see if someone tests it unpatched.

Either way, it does kinda suck that English won't be on the disc for most of 'em (if not all), and the English patch isn't until just over a month later from its release date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leon Hasegawa said:

Well that's annoying. The whole point of why I wanted to get the physical was so that I could own the definitive experience "forever" and not be at the mercy of store/patch servers being online.

• Like 2

Damn, I hate that "digital only" mindset some companies have lately. 

I know printing discs is expensive, but couldn't they do some workaround that small companies do? Open preorders and print only preordered ones. Print very limited amount and sell them only online in their store. Work with companies like limitedrun? 

I really hate buying digital only games, because I feel that my purchase only solidifies their thoughts that digital release is enough. I am okay with buying stuff like Kena, because I know I will be able to get it physical later.

On 9/27/2021 at 8:46 AM, SuperSmexy500 said:

Makes me wonder all the more if the Asian version with English that's now been delayed to 30th November isn't just going to have English on the disc. Seems strange for them to delay it a month till the release date of the patch otherwise. Guess we'll just have to wait and see if something or confirmed, or wait over 2 months and see if someone tests it unpatched.

Either way, it does kinda suck that English won't be on the disc for most of 'em (if not all), and the English patch isn't until just over a month later from its release date.

Here is the email from Play-Asia after I complained about English patch for Asia [English] version.

“About Fatal Frame, I agree that it does not make any sense if that were to happen. I would like to apologize for the confusion but the English language support is applicable even without the patch. That only applies to the Japanese version. To avoid confusion on this matter, we will ask for the disclaimer to be removed for these versions.”

On 9/27/2021 at 0:08 PM, Txustrilla said:

Then which PS4 version should I buy? Asia or Japan?

If the above statement is true then you should get Asia [English] version since the English audio and text are already in the game. There is another Asia version as well, which is Asia [Chinese], I think this version also has English language support in the game. The downside is you have to wait another month (11/30/2021) for Asia version release. Japanese version is still on schedule (10/28/2021), but you have to wait until 11/30/2021 to download English patch.

Edited by Leon Hasegawa

3 hours ago, Leon Hasegawa said:

Here is the email from Play-Asia after I complained about English patch for Asia [English] version.

“About Fatal Frame, I agree that it does not make any sense if that were to happen. I would like to apologize for the confusion but the English language support is applicable even without the patch. That only applies to the Japanese version. To avoid confusion on this matter, we will ask for the disclaimer to be removed for these versions.”

If the above statement is true then you should get Asia [English] version since the English audio and text are already in the game. There is another Asia version as well, which is Asia [Chinese], I think this version also has English language support in the game. The downside is you have to wait another month (11/30/2021) for Asia version release. Japanese version is still on schedule (10/28/2021), but you have to wait until 11/30/2021 to download English patch.

Interesting, when I tried asking PlayAsia about it (if English would be on the disc), they just told me "all versions will be the same as of 30th Nov as they will all have the English patch by then", which wasn't really what I was asking.

Hopefully what they said is true. PlayAsia has been a little iffy about information like this before, which I know isn't really their fault since they get fed vague information from their suppliers as well, but it's usually all we have to go on with imports like these.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 7:13 PM, Leon Hasegawa said:

I pre-order both Asia PS4 and Switch versions on Play-Asia, may get Japanese switch version as well for different cover art. Hopefully, they will remaster the rest of Fatal Frame games. I'm gladly to add new version to my Fatal Frame series.

fNHpRzX.jpg

Looking at all of these awesome games makes me want to play haunting ground for some reason ahhaha :D cannot wait for this to come out! 

• Like 1