Explain pool physics to me, like I'm 5

Hvalpen

I know the pool physics are notorious in this game. Somebody said it's cause it uses the ps3 controller sensitivity, and the ps4 controller is much more sensitive. Hell I'm using a ps5 controller.

My question is, how do i win here? There seems to be no rhyme or reason here. It's all random. Sometimes the ball hits the target like intended. Sometimes it goes opposite of where you aimed, and sometimes it goes a 100% to the side of where you aimed.

i don't see how that can be explained with sensitivity? Especially not given that it Sometimes literally goes in opposite direction. But, how do i win? I can luck out in 9 ball. But probably not the other modes.

• Like 1

Honest answer and after putting lot's of time into it - it feels like it's mostly RNG - especially with the behaviour of your AI opponents. Yakuza 3 has the worst pool physics in the entire series, hands down. It took forever when I did it, I think I spent a few nights of gaming alone, just playing pool. Most of my success was literally luck and perseverance.

Hvalpen hmm, your name rings a bell. Didn't we boost on a Resident Evil game one time? :) I seem to remember an elephant avatar

Yeah the pool physics is unforgiving, the AI will sometimes basically cheat and just clear up the table without missing once. When it's your turn you can't make any mistakes.

I doubt this will be the only mini game that you'll get stuck on, I gave up on the gold trophy long ago.

The AI is really unforgiving in this mini-game but once every 3-5 games it will make more mistakes then usual (like 2-3 misses).

Best tip I got is to not hit the ball too hard, try to slightly tap it like the AI does. Also try to hold a ruler or a piece of paper to your screen to try and guess where the ball will go. Still due to the poor controls this is not always that accurate as in the other games. But at least its better then shooting blind.

Just keep at it and persevere. It took me a few evenings to get lucky ( 5h+) but as long as you keep at then you will surely get it :)

9 minutes ago, Laozuli said:

The AI is really unforgiving in this mini-game but once every 3-5 games it will make more mistakes then usual (like 2-3 misses).

Best tip I got is to not hit the ball too hard, try to slightly tap it like the AI does. Also try to hold a ruler or a piece of paper to your screen to try and guess where the ball will go. Still due to the poor controls this is not always that accurate as in the other games. But at least its better then shooting blind.

Just keep at it and persevere. It took me a few evenings to get lucky ( 5h+) but as long as you keep at then you will surely get it :)

I cleared 9 ball quickly, and have moved to rotation. The problem is, i can't punish the mistakes the opponent makes, simply cause i have little to no involvement where there ball goes. I beat expert pool in Kiwami no problem. Hell, I'm even one of the very few people to obtain the platinum in pure pool. But in this game . . . I feel like i literally have no control over my own fate.

28 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Hvalpen hmm, your name rings a bell. Didn't we boost on a Resident Evil game one time? :) I seem to remember an elephant avatar

Yeah the pool physics is unforgiving, the AI will sometimes basically cheat and just clear up the table without missing once. When it's your turn you can't make any mistakes.

I doubt this will be the only mini game that you'll get stuck on, I gave up on the gold trophy long ago.

I think we might have !

Well, I'm fine with difficult mini games. If they are skill dependant. The problem is, this is not.

20 minutes ago, Hvalpen said:

I cleared 9 ball quickly, and have moved to rotation. The problem is, i can't punish the mistakes the opponent makes, simply cause i have little to no involvement where there ball goes. I beat expert pool in Kiwami no problem. Hell, I'm even one of the very few people to obtain the platinum in pure pool. But in this game . . . I feel like i literally have no control over my own fate.

The minigame is indeed too luck based. Sometimes the Ai will make a mistake and line it up perfectly for you but in other occassions their mistake will just drop the ball somewhere where its impossible to make a shot. All yakuza games have some kind of horrible minigame but this one was truly nightmare fuel :D

Just keep playing over and over and a lucky break will follow!

6 minutes ago, Laozuli said:

The minigame is indeed too luck based. Sometimes the Ai will make a mistake and line it up perfectly for you but in other occassions their mistake will just drop the ball somewhere where its impossible to make a shot. All yakuza games have some kind of horrible minigame but this one was truly nightmare fuel :D

Just keep playing over and over and a lucky break will follow!

I appreciate your encouragement :P but my problem is, i have great difficulties sinking even the simplest shot, since nine out of ten times the ball doesn't go where it says it will go

• 11 months later...
On 16-6-2021 at 2:13 PM, Hvalpen said:

Hell, I'm even one of the very few people to obtain the platinum in pure pool. But in this game . . . I feel like i literally have no control over my own fate.

I just got the 100% in Pure Pool myself so I was expecting that this wouldn’t be that bad but holy crap. This pool mini game just makes no sense to me whatsoever. It’s ridiculously bad. ? I can aim perfectly but it doesn’t even matter, the white ball has a mind of it’s own.

So any tips? As I see you cleared it. Or is it just Pure Luck?

Edit:

Okay, so I didn’t realize you can actually put unwanted side on the cue ball if you just use the R3 button normally. What works for me is first just aim with the Triangle button and then put your thumb in a straight line on the R3 button and slowly move it down and don’t shoot the balls too hard.

I don’t even miss a ball anymore but I never play with any sort of spin on it so position on the next ball is just a bit luck based. Still enough to win against the AI though. What a terrible minigame. ?

Edited by Baker

• 3 months later...

I just did all the pool games in few hours. I was pretty accurate and did the advanced and expert in few tries. Two tips :

•  For the aiming part, just take a rule/paper and aim from the back of the shadow ball through the front part of the ball your are hitting. That line is the direction of where the ball in going.
  • For the power (the most tricky part) : turn your controller 180° around with the front of the controller facing towards you. To shoot the power, slowly push the bottom of the left controller (used to be the top of the right controller) to the top (used to be the bottom). You don't need to push a lot, around 20% is usually more than enough to score your ball. Just release the controller to shoot. It could take you few tries but that help me improved a LOT my accuracy. Doing that way is way more precise that pulling down the controller to shoot.

I hope it will help some of you, and send me some strengh for the batting cages that I hate...

• 1 year later...
45 minutes ago, DeadMoux said:

I'm about to kill myself because if this

It seems pretty bad, but honestly with a little luck and practice you can do it! Eight Ball isn't bad because eventually (might take an hour or two...) the AI on Expert will sink the 8 Ball and lose without you doing anything. Nine Ball, you can win with a break ace (which you need for a separate trophy anyway). Rotation will take practice to win, but isn't that bad if you get a lucky break.

My best tip is to get a device and use remote play. This is a serious game changer for your shots in this mini game. You can hit all your shots perfectly if you aim right vs using the controller which will mess up 90% of your shots because of horizontal sensitivity messing them up.