Max Payne 3 online is shutting down on September 16, 2021

POEman553

I have a question. I’ve done everything for this game offline apart from NYM and NYMHC and I want to start the online grind. Problem is, that was 7 years ago and I have to get used to the game and the controls again. Starting now, approximately how long would it take me (assuming I find decent people to boost with) to finish online and DLC?

Edited by KMan34

1 hour ago, KMan34 said:

I have a question. I’ve done everything for this game offline apart from NYM and NYMHC and I want to start the online grind. Problem is, that was 7 years ago and I have to get used to the game and the controls again. Starting now, approximately how long would it take me (assuming I find decent people to boost with) to finish online and DLC?

you can finish all the online trophies in about 3-5hours. the grind to level 50 training complete trophy your looking at 20-30hours 600+ score attack chapter 4 part 1. or you could try the deathmatch method for leveling if you choose :).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KMan34 said:

Doing online trophies will take you a few hours if you have a good team (5 hs or so). However the most annoying trophy is to reach lvl 50. You have to play score attack mode 620 times on chapter 4. The good thing is that you can do this solo, because MP methods aren't too consistent to farm.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TrickyCompa said:

you can finish all the online trophies in about 3-5hours. the grind to level 50 training complete trophy your looking at 20-30hours 600+ score attack chapter 4 part 1. or you could try the deathmatch method for leveling if you choose :).

7 hours ago, AN0n1m8 said:

Doing online trophies will take you a few hours if you have a good team (5 hs or so). However the most annoying trophy is to reach lvl 50. You have to play score attack mode 620 times on chapter 4. The good thing is that you can do this solo, because MP methods aren't too consistent to farm.

Thanks for the help guys

I strongly suggest starting right now. Don't wait until the last couple weeks to do this. I can't comment on Rank 50 or the Challenge Mode since I haven't fully committed to them yet, but you're definitely going to need some boosting partners for the trophies that require multiple people.

If you can find a boosting session for the M4 kills (reaching level 10) and the 100 kills as a member of the SPP, that would be great. With a good group you can knock out most of the online trophies in a day or two.

The two kill based trophies I just mentioned, the Rank 50 trophy and the Challenge Mode trophies are the only online trophies that are going to take a good amount of time to finish. Rank 50 is by far the most time consuming trophy of the lot. Definitely want to get that done before the servers shut.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I strongly suggest starting right now. Don't wait until the last couple weeks to do this. I can't comment on Rank 50 or the Challenge Mode since I haven't fully committed to them yet, but you're definitely going to need some boosting partners for the trophies that require multiple people.

If you can find a boosting session for the M4 kills (reaching level 10) and the 100 kills as a member of the SPP, that would be great. With a good group you can knock out most of the online trophies in a day or two.

The two kill based trophies I just mentioned, the Rank 50 trophy and the Challenge Mode trophies are the only online trophies that are going to take a good amount of time to finish. Rank 50 is by far the most time consuming trophy of the lot. Definitely want to get that done before the servers shut.

"Challenge Mode trophies are the only online trophies" - why it's online trophys? Where did you get info about that? Breaking The 4th” is not online trophy.

I decided to start this game a couple of days ago after sitting in my backlog for so long, even though I'm not sure I will be able to do all the online Trophies with limited free time. I'm in Chapter VII and what a great game to play. Sure it's not easy and most Trophies really take effort to achieve, but this is why I enjoy playing games for such a long time allready.

Everybody should decide for themselves if they start this game, but I do feel you will be missing out on a great game.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 8:49 AM, Hexagram_vall said:

"Challenge Mode trophies are the only online trophies" - why it's online trophys? Where did you get info about that? Breaking The 4th” is not online trophy.

every single dlc trophy must be done online.. including both challenge mode trophies

Checking this now out. Thanks Rockstar for no Final Disscount on the 4 DLC Map Packs. Each Cost 4,99€/$ or a Shaddy Season Pass for 15 Bucks.

At least Warhawk had a Final Sale before it went Offline and some other for Sure. I will play a little Online Just for Fun and a few Trophys. Don't bother with the Hardcore Stuff.

4 hours ago, Meikoro said:

Checking this now out. Thanks Rockstar for no Final Disscount on the 4 DLC Map Packs. Each Cost 4,99€/$ or a Shaddy Season Pass for 15 Bucks.

At least Warhawk had a Final Sale before it went Offline and some other for Sure. I will play a little Online Just for Fun and a few Trophys. Don't bother with the Hardcore Stuff.

Really? All of the DLC came up free for me on PS3. Thought that was the case for everyone.

4 minutes ago, KMan34 said:

Really? All of the DLC came up free for me on PS3. Thought that was the case for everyone.

Have you buy the Season Pass or a Collectors Edition with DLC Codes? Where there a Campaihn from Rockstar for free DLC like on Battlefield from EA?

I have not think its free for evryone but at least a Disscount would be Nice :(

2 minutes ago, Meikoro said:

Have you buy the Season Pass or a Collectors Edition with DLC Codes? Where there a Campaihn from Rockstar for free DLC like on Battlefield from EA?

I have not think its free for evryone but at least a Disscount would be Nice :(

I bought the standard edition two years after it came out on eBay so nothing special there. Not sure why your copy is different. Hope you can get it sorted

7 hours ago, Meikoro said:

The season pass was $29.99 when it came out, so they did cut it in half at some point. 

Edited by Floorkiller74
  • Like 1

I feel there is some air of disagreement in regards to using the offline training method to reach Rank 50. Not the chapter mind you, Chapter 4 is probably the easiest and shortest one to gain XP from. It's in regards to one's skill.

Most people aren't going to do Score Attack exactly 620 times to reach Rank 50. You have to reach the Platinum Medal, which gives you 1000 XP. So from Rank 1, you have to get a Platinum Medal 620 times for Rank 50. That is not something the average player is going to pull off. You have to be good and have some skill to get a Platinum Medal, this game is very precise. I find Free Aim is the only real way to play this because Soft Lock basically just aims at the enemy's chest.

If you're like me and most others, who possess an average skill level for third person shooters, you're not going to earn a Platinum Medal repeating Chapter 4 over and over, at least not the first 50 - 100 times you go at it. You may have to play more than 620 times even if you did all the other online trophies boosting with other people. I was around Rank 13 or Rank 14 by the time I was done with the other stuff, because the M4 kills took a while since I had to have 450 kills with it to reach level 10.

Expect to spend more than 30 hours going for Rank 50, unless you're very skilled at third person shooters in which case it'll probably be shorter. I'm already a few dozen runs in, but this is going to be very difficult for anybody who is going to jump on Max Payne 3 this late. We have roughly four weeks before the server shutdown, not only do you have to reach Rank 50 but you also have to play through the story TWICE. Once to unlock Challenge Mode, and once to beat Challenge Mode. That mode is online only, I tried accessing it with my console offline and I couldn't get in.

A majority of the time, I'm getting Gold Medals from both New York Minute and Score Attack playing Chapter 4 over and over for the multiplayer XP. Maybe I'll get to the point where I'll eventually get Platinum Medals consistently, but I'm honestly not that good at third person shooters. I struggled with Uncharted on Crushing, so that'll give you an idea of the skill level I possess.

Edited by AJ_Radio
Fixed a typo
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I feel there is some air of disagreement in regards to using the offline training method to reach Rank 50. Not the chapter mind you, Chapter 4 is probably the easiest and shortest one to gain XP from. It's in regards to one's skill.

Most people aren't going to do Score Attack exactly 620 times to reach Rank 50. You have to reach the Platinum Medal, which gives you 1000 XP. So from Rank 1, you have to get a Platinum Medal 620 times for Rank 50. That is not something the average player is going to pull off. You have to be good and have some skill to get a Platinum Medal, this game is very precise. I find Free Aim is the only real way to play this because Soft Lock basically just aims at the enemy's chest.

If you're like me and most others, who possess an average skill level for third person shooters, you're not going to earn a Platinum Medal repeating Chapter 4 over and over, at least not the first 50 - 100 times you go at it. You may have to play more than 620 times even if you did all the other online trophies boosting with other people. I was around Rank 13 or Rank 14 by the time I was done with the other stuff, because the M4 kills took a while since I had to have 450 kills with it to reach level 10.

Expect to spend more than 30 hours going for Rank 50, unless you're very skilled at third person shooters in which case it'll probably be shorter. I'm already a few dozen runs in, but this is going to be very difficult for anybody who is going to jump on Max Payne 3 this late. We have roughly four weeks before the server shutdown, not only do you have to reach Rank 50 but you also have to play through the story TWICE. Once to unlock Challenge Mode, and once to beat Challenge Mode. That mode is online only, I tried accessing it with my console offline and I couldn't get in.

A majority of the time, I'm getting Gold Medals from both New York Minute and Score Attack playing Chapter 4 over and over for the multiplayer XP. Maybe I'll get to the point where I'll eventually get Platinum Medals consistently, but I'm honestly not that good at third person shooters. I struggled with Uncharted on Crushing, so that'll give you an idea of the skill level I possess.

To get the platinum medal consistently blow up both cars when you get outside, and then right before they explode enter bullet mode. This will give you tons of points.

For what it's worth though the NYM playthrough will also get you EXP towards level 50, while not much the medals you get in NYM could potentially give you 17k exp if you get the platinum every time.

Does help alleviate the grind a little.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DEI2EK said:

To get the platinum medal consistently blow up both cars when you get outside, and then right before they explode enter bullet mode. This will give you tons of points.

For what it's worth though the NYM playthrough will also get you EXP towards level 50, while not much the medals you get in NYM could potentially give you 17k exp if you get the platinum every time.

Yeah. This ^ Exploding the cars is a must. sometimes I get more than enough with just one car explosion. Even if you can't get the third person down it's very easy with that method. 

9 hours ago, DEI2EK said:

7 hours ago, ZachSmoke said:

Yeah. This ^ Exploding the cars is a must. sometimes I get more than enough with just one car explosion. Even if you can't get the third person down it's very easy with that method. 

Okay, I wasn't blowing up the cars. That gives a lot of points, especially with a good multiplier.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Have you been dual wielding the pistols? Enemies die a lot faster from dual wielding. It doesn't really matter if it just aims at the enemies chest, yes it would be great if you get a headshot for extra score but as long as you get a hit on the enemy and don't miss your shot the multiplier goes up until you are at the max of 10x where kills can easily be 500-1k points each kill.

I personally don't recommend softlock even though it makes it a lot easier because when it comes time for hardcore/old school/NYM/NYMHC you will have to unlearn the softlock  aiming and "relearn" how to free aim.

On 16.8.2021 at 6:23 AM, Floorkiller74 said:

The season pass was $29.99 when it came out, so they did cut it in half at some point. 

Thanks. I check'ed this you Right. So the Season pass is allready cut in Half Price. If you buy all DLC extra it Costs about ca. 24$/€ so at least some savier here.

Also as a Reminder of the Reminder: Sony was cut down all Patch Support on PS3 and PSV since 28. June 2021. So there is absolute no Chance that the Online Trophys will work Offline if the Server Closes. :( There are some Examples like Mad Max etc. But they all on PS4.

On 18/8/2021 at 9:52 AM, AJ_Radio said:

I think you mention many valid points, for example i think you need more of 30hs for self bost (since level 30 you need like 2hs for level up) and when you start it its very common to get silver or gold in medals before you realice the ways for the platinium.

But i still think its the best method for grind.

• Like 1