Amazing Game, Crappy Trophy List

8 minutes ago, Together_Comic said:

For what it is worth, those types of system for RE4 where the game will dynamically tone down the difficulty (or up as the case may be) always annoyed me.  Game please do not turn down my difficulty, I enjoy the process of banging my head against the wall, and the catharsis of being hard headed enough to eventually break down the wall, and I feel robbed of both when the task is made easier.  Your proposition is an interesting one though.  Maybe having a "do you want to turn on dynamic accessibility" option could be nice where it will gradually turn up or down accessibility settings based on how the gaming sessions are going wouldn't be too bad. If you want the game "as intended" (whatever that means) the game won't mess with your settings, but if you may need help, its there. 

oh, yeah, for sure I would still argue in favour of a baseline difficulty level as standard - all I’m saying is, if accessibility options are specifically selected, I think some kind of ‘dynamic reassessing’ of requirement would be a decent idea - in the sense that, I can’t imagine anyone using the Accessibility options for their intended purposes would take issue with it (after-all, the purpose of them is to level the playing field, and so those in need of them are not looking to have an easier time than the average able-bodied or neurotypical player, just a comparable one - and those looking to use them as a shortcut to gaming ease would be unable to do so for long.)

I agree that I broadly dislike games which modify or ‘rubber-band’ the base difficulty as standard. Skyrim did a lot of that, and it kind of made levelling up in that game meaningless, given that everything else levelled up right along with you…
To be honest, I never even really liked when games did the God of War thing - asking if you want to go to a lower difficulty if you failed more than a few times at the same spot. That always felt like a bit of an additional slap in the face - not only are you beating me, game, but now you’re insulting me too? ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

it's a sony exclusive.  Last of us 2 you could set the game to highlight all collectibles, you could set it so you wouldn't fall to your death when there was like only two places in the entire game where you could fall to your death anyway.  Worst of all these settings didn't disable difficulty trophies.  Sony is a participation reward type company now no doubt ran by leftist who think if someone gets left out of a participation reward then life isn't fair.  Worse than that this is the world we're living in full of whiners and crybabies who want everything for putting forth nothing.  If you can't beat them join them and enjoy your $70 ratalaka, effortless platinum.  

Well that escalated quickly into politics.

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You're talking about the Accessibility settings - which are not the same as in game cheats or difficulty settings.

Accessibility settings are there to allow people who had different limitations on their physical abilities to input to the game, and still play and enjoy the full breadth of the game, with modifications to compensate for or alleviate different physical barriers.

Disabling trophies as a result of using them, would be a real dick move - basically telling differently abled players that their money is good, but they're not getting the trophies, as their efforts, while allowed for, are not equivalent to those of an able-bodied gamer.

The fact that some able-bodied people can abuse those acceptability options, doesn't mean that any fault lies with their implementation - only with the people who do so.

You don't ban the use of wheels-chairs, simply because they could be used by someone who can walk.

On topic, as little premium as I generally place on "challenge" as a metric for "quality" - I do agree with @Deadly_Ha_Ha, in so much as a good trophy list is one that requires at least a fair amount of the game to be experienced - and a bad one is one that doesn't. Whether that is difficult or not, I don't really care either way, but completion of the trophy list should, at least, require a broad spectrum of the game's features to be engaged with.

This right here.

Anyways, some of us aren’t as young as we used to be and have ‘more important’ things to do in life. Rather than fully giving up on trophy hunting, it’s nice that some games don’t take quite a long time.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

Better include an easy platinum and not challenge anyone. Otherwise the trophy hunters will avoid it. Sad but true

I feel like this is the most backwards statement possible. If you're a trophy hunter you shouldn't avoid a not-easy plat or a challenge. If there was NO plat then it would probably be avoided by some, but to just give an easy platinum doesn't speak to trophy hunters as I would define them

If the game is as short as R&C the trophy list is a good way to increase the time spent with it. Plus there is the legacy of the franchise to consider. Most of the other games required something akin to 100%.

But, trophy hunters are the minority, so most people who buy this were going to play and finish it their way regardless. They likely won't even look at the list.

100% requirements aren't for every game, however. The Just Cause games certainly did not benefit from them and Biomutant wouldn't have either.

If the game is amazing does the trophy list really matter that much? It's your standard triple a list for the most part and those have always been easy requiring no effort. If it's a challenge you're looking for then there's a good amount of games out there that will provide one, these Sony exclusives ain't the place to be looking. 

I personally don't mind the trophies here. Straight to the point, no unnecessary grind or a crazy amount of playthroughs needed and even better that you don't need to follow a guide to get it done. Can't complain about any of that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bosstristan said:

Am I the only who's completely disappointed by the trophy list?

Don't get me wrong, the game is truly amazing, and that what matters the most.

But when it comes to the trophy list, it's really... not there. You don't even need to finish the game in this or that difficulty, collect all spy bots, all orbs, all gold bolts (wtf), beat challenge mode, beat all the arena challenges, upgrade all weapons... It is a real shame, you can basically get the plat' with no effort whatsoever, leaving the game to not even 50%... I don't mean trophies should be excruciatingly hard, but just enough so it feels like you actually achieved something, you completed the game to 100% (especially when it's such a short game like this one, for games like Just Cause 2, 75% required is enough imo).

Plus, collectible are sh*t easy to find AND displayed on the map, what is this, Assassin's Creed?

Anyway, I've completed the game 100% (without activating the preorder DLC which seems to be quite game breaking btw)  and I'm now playing challenge mode in the highest difficulty. I find it really sad they wanted to make is so 'accessible', a platinum should not be too accessible, that's the point of a reward/trophy/achievement.

the trophies are fine...maybe a bit too simple....but personally i don't mind that....the game itself though.....i don't know how to say it, it looks perfect...visuals are great...but i realise that ...previous games had more variety in gameplay, or, so to say more interesting challenging stuff along the way as you progress through the story (for example like in "crack in time" we needed to avoid swarms of insects, just to pass on, no shooting more thinking how to get across them, or how i got speed boots and needed to prove myself worth of wearing them, all this little things made previous series more interesing and variable in gameplay) ...and here i just shoot too much and it goes on and on and on, from planet to planet...even in glitch sequence i do the same thing....and it goes without sayng cinematics were hilarious and witty and just cracking in pevious series

Edited by crustaceous

sony are currently working on ai that learns from gamers and can be used to play our games for us, help us out of difficult spots. im guessing it's adding to the journalist mode cheat codes they put into the launch of most games so they have a fair chance of seeing the end.

im not gunna bother buying this. I might rent it or something but this ain't worth half the price they are asking, not in my eyes. the trophy list is cheese. even the previous ratchet remake which everyone felt was diluted humour and mechanics from originals actually made u put in a bit of effort to get it, still easy and enjoyable just gave us a reason to give it more concentration.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Careful man, if you suggest trophy lists shouldn't be for the every-player you'll have a horde of "trophy hunters" coming right after you

This isn't even about accessibility; axe the difficulty trophies and just keep the completionist ones and they're accessible while still being comprehensive.

9 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You don't ban the use of wheels-chairs, simply because they could be used by someone who can walk.

Just would like to note this is a common misconception; many wheelchair users "can" walk, but have health conditions that make doing so regularly extremely difficult.

If I recall correctly there's remaining space in the difficulty selection menu. Therefore I guess that a trophy like beating ng+ on "Ultimate" could be implemented in the future :)

I enjoyed the game despite the easy trophy set and I understand that devs are in quite a predicament trophy-wise these days. Too easy? People complain. Too hard? Wolfenstein-petition :D 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bizzy_Montana_ said:

I guess that a trophy like beating ng+ on "Ultimate" could be implemented in the future

I would bet all the money in my pockets, against all the money in your pockets, that that will be the case

12 hours ago, yowzagabowza said:

100% requirements aren't for every game, however. The Just Cause games certainly did not benefit from them and Biomutant wouldn't have either.

That's true but I think it would have great for this game because it wouldn't have been hours and hours of boring busywork. Now 100% on Biomutant? No thanks. 

Yes the trophy list is very disappointing, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter for me and it shouldn't matter for you either OP, because we'll aim to get 100% in-game completion anyway. That's just how we play Ratchet & Clank games.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, coldhardcrash_ said:

Let's hope they drop some DLC trophies for beating Challenge mode, 100% collectibles, etc. It won't fix the issue of this being a very easy Platinum but at least there will be more of an incentive to achieve 100% completion. 

I think those trophies tend to be reserved for when NG+ or the extra difficulties get added to the game later (e.g. TLOU2 or Spider-Man). We’ve already got NG+ in the base game, so not sure Rift Apart meets the trend. But hey, they may surprise us and add some brick-hard additional difficulty

8 minutes ago, HellcoreFire said:

I just wanted to say this is one of the most polite threads I've seen in a while. Thank you.

I'm also honestly pleased about this. It's hard to tell where threads may go and while I do think some people have missed the point here, there hasn't been any arguing per se

My post in the price is steep thread:

"For me a great game + a decently challenging trophy list 5-6/10 really makes the experience so much better as a trophy hunter. Some of my most memorable games were the grinds for the platinum, but maybe im just a small minority though"

I took my time with this game and still only took 12hours. And ive already forgot about this game.

12 hours ago, offdutysuperhero said:

My post in the price is steep thread:

"For me a great game + a decently challenging trophy list 5-6/10 really makes the experience so much better as a trophy hunter. Some of my most memorable games were the grinds for the platinum, but maybe im just a small minority though"

I took my time with this game and still only took 12hours. And ive already forgot about this game.

That's the thing, I don't want to forget about the game. I think no one should, that's what trophies are for in a way. Such a shame they didn't include more trophies.