Amazing Game, Crappy Trophy List

41 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Yes you did. You said going back to PS4 games with a Duelshock 4 controller doesn’t feel the same anymore. 

As much as I love the old Ratchet & Clank games, they definitely show their age. They were a product of their time, just like Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time. Most people who look at that nowadays will see how old and dated it feels. 

3 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

If you don’t care too much about graphics then IMO the old R&C games actually hold up surprisingly well despite their age, and are still very fun and satisfying to play. I’ve played through most of them by now and I think I’d probably say the original trilogy is still my favourite at this point.

The only one I’d say maybe did age poorly is the very first game, mostly because of the inability to strafe in combat. It really changes the entire dynamic of combat and causes many of the encounters feel clumsy and awkward. With Ratchet 2 and onwards they really improved the controls and expanded the gameplay. 

Luckily for me I started with R&C 1 and worked my way through the series, but I would imagine that anybody going back to R&C 1 from a subsequent entry in the series would probably have a bad time.

I’ve gone back to play some of R&C 1 and 2 fairly recently, and while I agree that the first one does feel pretty dated and a little clunky, the second one actually holds up remarkably well from a mechanical and gameplay standpoint.

Obviously no one is going to mistake it visually for a modern game - but i’ve played games released in the past few years that play significantly worse than Going Commando does - it’s a profoundly well crafted game from a playability standpoint.

• Like 2

I don’t own the game but I find it sad too that the trophy list sucks. I’m not going to lie, a trophy list makes me do more things that I normally wouldn’t do. It feels nice to be rewarded after effort. So it’s a shame, will still play it one day though.

• Like 3

Hmmm. I'd been considering picking up Rift Apart, but the trophy list put me off.

Not because of the list, but because I was reading you can complete it in about 10 hours. My issue was it made it appear the game is short, and the cost of RA on PSN in Australia is insanely expensive.

Ignoring the trophy list, what's the game like in length for a 100% in game player? Is it comparable to previous titles?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, P_Pigly_Hogswine said:

Hmmm. I'd been considering picking up Rift Apart, but the trophy list put me off.

Not because of the list, but because I was reading you can complete it in about 10 hours. My issue was it made it appear the game is short, and the cost of RA on PSN in Australia is insanely expensive.

Ignoring the trophy list, what's the game like in length for a 100% in game player? Is it comparable to previous titles?

I'd say a bit shorter. I think you can easily 100% it in like 15-20h max. Then you could do a Challenge run and try to upgrade all weapons.

On 20/07/2021 at 0:04 AM, bosstristan said:

I'd say a bit shorter. I think you can easily 100% it in like 15-20h max. Then you could do a Challenge run and try to upgrade all weapons.

Great. Thanks for the info.

I might wait for a sale. $125 is pretty steep. Especially since I just 100% the 2016 Ratchet and Clank in a few days.

10 more trophies could really help the game. 

Like max out all the Omega weapons for example or collect a total of 5 million bolts. I remember that trophies like these were in the older games. 

Just this trophy alone would glue me 5 more hours on the screen.

Edited by RedlChris-_-

On 19/07/2021 at 3:06 AM, P_Pigly_Hogswine said:

It's atypically short for an R&C game, and very lacking in scope for exploration and additional replay value, though it's not completely without it's charms.

I'm one of the folks who actually thinks the trophy list for this game is fine, because the game itself is not really strong enough or interesting enough to support a trophy list similar to previous titles.

The visuals are absolutely, uniformly unparalleled - they are really incredible to see - but the actual game is one of the weakest Ratchet games I have personally played. (I've not played them all, but have played 6 or 7 of them I think.)

I wrote a little write up of the game HERE if you fancy - as with most of my reviews, I don't go into the trophy list as a consideration, as I don't think it is relevant to discussions of the quality of the game, but the gist is - it's worth playing for the visuals, but unusually basic (for the series) in most other areas.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It's atypically short for an R&C game, and very lacking in scope for exploration and additional replay value, though it's not completely without it's charms.

I'm one of the folks who actually thinks the trophy list for this game is fine, because the game itself is not really strong enough or interesting enough to support a trophy list similar to previous titles.

The visuals are absolutely, uniformly unparalleled - they are really incredible to see - but the actual game is one of the weakest Ratchet games I have personally played. (I've not played them all, but have played 6 or 7 of them I think.)

I wrote a little write up of the game HERE if you fancy - as with most of my reviews, I don't go into the trophy list as a consideration, as I don't think it is relevant to discussions of the quality of the game, but the gist is - it's worth playing for the visuals, but unusually basic (for the series) in most other areas.

True, in terms of gameplay content, it is one of the weakest (if we only take major titles into consideration).

I wish there were more things to collect, which would also be better hidden, more arena and harder / more diversified challenges, races (hover board or else).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bosstristan said:

True, in terms of gameplay content, it is one of the weakest (if we only take major titles into consideration).

I wish there were more things to collect, which would also be better hidden, more arena and harder / more diversified challenges, races (hover board or else).

I really think the biggest trick they missed is the one that should have been the most obvious - Rivet should have had a different move set.

If Rivet had some skill that Ratchet didn’t have - say, a climb instead of a Wall Jump, or maybe a triple jump instead of a hover - they could have added a completely new type of exploration and sets of secrets to the series - with a totally obvious narrative hook to justify it.

It really felt like a strange decision that Rivet is really just a palate swap from Ratchet

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

The list is meh. But it's the obnoxious amount of collectibles that are annoying. I love Ratchet & Clank. I have every single platinum that you can possibly have for this series (stacks included) and I've always enjoyed the trophy lists we got. Well, all but one... getting the gold bolt by beating Ace Bunyon (Vita version).

On the PS3 I smoked his ass. On the Vita? Ha! Holy shit those races were infuriating on the Vita! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrTacoNinja said:

The list is meh. But it's the obnoxious amount of collectibles that are annoying. I love Ratchet & Clank. I have every single platinum that you can possibly have for this series (stacks included) and I've always enjoyed the trophy lists we got. Well, all but one... getting the gold bolt by beating Ace Bunyon (Vita version).

On the PS3 I smoked his ass. On the Vita? Ha! Holy shit those races were infuriating on the Vita! 

Yea omg on Vita those races were rough ?

1 hour ago, zachpicc said:

Yea omg on Vita those races were rough 1f605.png

I bought a PSTV to whitelist it so it could play this game on the Vita (because normally it doesn't). It's the only reason I bought the PSTV. I tried over and over and over to beat this fucker on the Vita. God knows how many times my Vita physically left my hands and went for a ride against the wall. With my modded PSTV now able to play ANY game on it I was able to finally beat all these races and get the gold bolts. 

To be honest I'm not sure I would've been able to do it otherwise. With the small buttons, tiny ass sticks and screen and the fact that for the life of me I couldn't stop pivoting and moving the Vita all over the place when taking all those crazy turns and dips it just made it all impossible for me! I hated the Vita. I don't regret selling it.

Edited by MrTacoNinja

16 hours ago, MrTacoNinja said:

I bought a PSTV to whitelist it so it could play this game on the Vita (because normally it doesn't). It's the only reason I bought the PSTV. I tried over and over and over to beat this fucker on the Vita. God knows how many times my Vita physically left my hands and went for a ride against the wall. With my modded PSTV now able to play ANY game on it I was able to finally beat all these races and get the gold bolts. 

To be honest I'm not sure I would've been able to do it otherwise. With the small buttons, tiny ass sticks and screen and the fact that for the life of me I couldn't stop pivoting and moving the Vita all over the place when taking all those crazy turns and dips it just made it all impossible for me! I hated the Vita. I don't regret selling it.

Haha well at least you have a good story about it. I remember following a guide somewhere and managed to get it eventually after doing a lot of practise. The problem was it’s never really explained anywhere properly in the game