A bit disappointed with the quality of this upgrade

Yeah it has higher resolution and a 60fps mode. However, I don't see much of a difference in the 4k resolution mode compared to the ps4 version. In fact, I am seeing more visual bugs in this game than I did when it first launched on PS4.  60fps mode is what I am playing on now, but everything is blurred due to the resolution scaling down. This "upgrade" just felt half assed to me compared to other upgrades. 

• Like 3

Interesting.  I own it but have not started it and was planning to just play the superior version (PS5) once I get a PS5.

But if there is really very little difference, I might play it on PS4 anyway and then auto-pop on PS5 lol.  Decisions…

32 minutes ago, Anke said:

I thought it actually looked/felt/played better on PS4.

It definitely plays better for sure due to the increased frame rate. I think the physics and lighting has been improved a bit, but overall it does not generally impress. I notice a lot of frame skips when the cutscenes cut and when you rotate the camera fast you can see the environment popping which really shouldn't happen if its using the SSD well. It all seems like optimization that could be patched, but I don't think we will be seeing that. 

40 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Interesting.  I own it but have not started it and was planning to just play the superior version (PS5) once I get a PS5.

But if there is really very little difference, I might play it on PS4 anyway and then auto-pop on PS5 lol.  Decisions…

It is probably worth a play on PS5 on the 60 fps mode, but skip collectables and play the story. Then go back to PS4 and do everything else to get all trophies and then you can transfer the save to autopop what you missed on PS5. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Just play it on PS4. It actually runs okay-ish after several patches. :lol:

Remember how broken and shoddy this game was on PS4 at release? Patched quickly, yes, but it was still a mess in the first week or so. No surprise that some will find a re-release subpar too. I don't regret buying it new though, glad to support quality single player stories with no microtransactions and always will be.

Edited by Stan Lee
  • Like 1

Sadly I have to agree, this wasn't much of an upgrade. The picture seemed a little clearer, however when trying to take advantage of this through Photo-mode I found it basically unusable due to the blurring affects on Cal's face at all times (even while stationary). Turning motion blur off didn't really help the situation at all, as there were still a lot of weird effects applied to his face that made any photo attempts from the front pointless.

This is however still a very awesome game, and I recommend anyone who didn't play it yet to get to it! <3 

The update was rough to play. Sometimes BD wouldn’t scan people/objects, sometimes he would teleport off my back and start floating around, sometimes I would fall through the map while picking up echoes. Not to mention the entire game the audio didn’t synch so the characters would either talk over each other or the lip-synching wasn’t synced and you’d hear their voice when the scene moves to another person. Free is free though ?

2 hours ago, djb5f said:

Auto-popping is almost as bad as playing Ratalaikas so definitely don't do that.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hm. I'm mixed with it right now.

I've had some frame drops in fidelity mode during gameplay (which I haven't had on many games except when you move the camera back and forth of course). 

I've also noticed the visual bugs and the textures not loading in very well at times.

It's still a fun experience going through it again so far. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2021 at 8:46 PM, psycho_clank314 said:

Yeah it has higher resolution and a 60fps mode. However, I don't see much of a difference in the 4k resolution mode compared to the ps4 version. In fact, I am seeing more visual bugs in this game than I did when it first launched on PS4.  60fps mode is what I am playing on now, but everything is blurred due to the resolution scaling down. This "upgrade" just felt half assed to me compared to other upgrades. 

its funny i just thought this exact same thing. I noticed quite a few bugs that im sure were not there on ps4 on launch. 

• 1 month later...