Millions possibly all PS3 console IDs leaked causing consoles to be banned

GUDGER666

40 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

off topic, but I see a lot of people arguing: if you want to keep your sanity, don't spend too much time on reddit. reddit is great for some niche communities and some info here and there, but it's not a healthy environment to go to on a daily basis.

A lot of bickering in this thread as well. 

We all know the PS3 is barely above life support. However I think threads like this spark fearmongering and people bitching at each other because old consoles aren’t worth supporting outside of a very select few who still care for them. 

I have just about everything I want on the old consoles, so I’m good in that department. 

The PS3 will die sooner or later, there’s no two ways about it. We just have to take advantage of it while we still can, thus is why I bought a bunch of PS3 games back in April.

4 hours ago, grifteskymfning said:

I have tested all my sixteen PS3:s now, two seem temp banned and one is completely banned.

The last time I used them was probably in march 2020 when boosting Chronicles of Riddick mp. I think.

Is it possible that some of these PS3's got flagged before you acquired them, and the current bans aren't due to a recent hack where the IDs were stolen, but rather Sony recently bringing down a ban hammer for consoles that were flagged for CFW sometime in the past?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lance_87 said:

The funniest thing is that i blocked this idiot, then one of his friends started attacking me, too. And he played a lot less Vita games than me. And i barely played it lmao.

These guys seriously thought that Sony will eventually release a PS5 Portable based on some ridiculous Bloomberg/Goldman Sachs/Whatever article.

It was probably an alt. Doubt that weirdo has friends.

5 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

Some of the consoles are Super Slims, they were released October 2012. 

Just curious were they bought 2nd hand or brand new? I ask cause buying 2nd hand there is always a risk that the seller had used CFW and then removed it and sold on the CID to make a further profit.

Just trying to find a pattern if it just affects 2nd hands consoles or not.

If it is occurring on clean consoles that haven't changed hands after the 2011 data breach then Sony have some damage control to do.

3 minutes ago, Null_Spectre said:

Just curious were they bought 2nd hand or brand new? I ask cause buying 2nd hand there is always a risk that the seller had used CFW and then removed it and sold on the CID to make a further profit.

If it is occurring on clean consoles that haven't changed hands after the 2011 data breach then Sony have some damage control to do.

Can't install CFW on super slims, only on early model slims 200x-250x and all fat models

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Null_Spectre said:

Both mine were brand new. My backup PS3 has had about 30hrs of use. 

15 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Can't install CFW on super slims, only on early model slims 200x-250x and all fat models

It's possible to install HEN on any PS3 model I believe. It's the not the same as full CFW, but can still allow for exploits. Whether or not it can spoof CIDs, I don't know.

Just some more stats to add to this:

Posted earlier about testing 47 consoles. It took much longer than expected due to firmware updates. Here's the results

39 signed in and 8 are saying system is banned or suspended. 3 are the slim model and 5 super slim. All the systems were on official firmware prior to updating

Edited by SuperSmexy500
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

3/16 and 9/47 may not be huge sample sizes, but it looks like 15-20% of consoles may already be affected by this debacle. I think I'm gonna wrap up Rayman Origins as fast as I can and temporarily delete my account from my PS3 before something happens to me as well. Sony needs to address this asap 

Edited by UnstoppableRock1

1 hour ago, diskdocx said:

Is it possible that some of these PS3's got flagged before you acquired them, and the current bans aren't due to a recent hack where the IDs were stolen, but rather Sony recently bringing down a ban hammer for consoles that were flagged for CFW sometime in the past?

They have all worked before, connected without issue and always updated to the latest firmware. When I say "last time I used them" I mean when I actually played anything on them, they have been kept up to date with each update.

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

4-5 weeks ago for castlevania harmony of despair helping a boost group to fill up the room

Did you know the people you played with? Maybe some of them used CFW and got you involved? 

Actually, I don't know if that's the case. Could you get banned only for playing with people with CFW? Like maybe if they hack the lobby or something to get more exp from a match, things like that? 

I really don't know, I haven't played online very much, I just play the minimum requirement for game that I like to platinum. If the game isn't worth it, I just play single player and then move on to the next game. 

1 hour ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

It's possible to install HEN on any PS3 model I believe. It's the not the same as full CFW, but can still allow for exploits. Whether or not it can spoof CIDs, I don't know.

Just some more stats to add to this:

Well that's quite a lot especially if these bans are temporary. I would think most PS3s are now either in 2nd hand shops or put away, so we will probably never know how many are affected. One of the main things i think that makes it so easy for cfw users is how easy it is to make accounts, i bet they can be banned and have a new account in 2 min. I had to put my privacy on PS4 to receive no messages from anyone apart from friends as it was just constant spam. 

What i want to know is how quick is it to change a PS3 ID, could someone possibly get multiple IDs banned quickly? 

9 minutes ago, Play3GianniGreed said:

If, let's say, my console got banned, I lose access to PSN, this I get, online play, trophies, ecc. 

But what happens to the digital games? If I have hundred of dollars (euro in my case) spent on games, that I have already downloaded, I'm still able to play those games or they will be locked for me? 

A console ban is different than an account ban. A console has been identified as a liability to the Playstation network and so the hardware is no longer allowed to connect. The account is free to move to untainted hardware, connect, and continue. 

Console and account bans are rarely handed out together. 

Account bans are generally for behavioral problems when on the PSN and interacting with people for what it’s worth. 

20 minutes ago, Play3GianniGreed said:

By the way, there is something that I didn't get a grasp on still, because info is very confusing on this. 

If, let's say, my console got banned, I lose access to PSN, this I get, online play, trophies, ecc. 

But what happens to the digital games? If I have hundred of dollars (euro in my case) spent on games, that I have already downloaded, Im still to play those games or they will be locked for me? 

Because I have spent a lot, let me repeat, a lot of money. And if that happens, I know that I will go full John Rambo on Sony. 

According to the official Playstation support site:

What happens if my account or console is suspended?

If your account is suspended, you will not be able to access PlayStation Network. That means you will not be able to use some products and services, even ones you have paid for.

If your console is suspended you will not be able to connect to PlayStation Network with any account.

So, yeah... Could be an issue. At the very least, it's unlikely you will ever be able to redownload content, since you'll no longer be able to access PSN (on that specific PS3 anyway). This could honestly turn into something legal if it happens to enough people, taking away people's purchased content (or ability to download it) through no fault of their own.

I'm also curious if system bans are also a thing for PS4, PS5 and Vita. I've never actually heard about them before, but that could be something else to worry about in the future if something similar happens.

I would honestly urge everyone that has had any of their PS3s to banned to contact Sony. Even if you don't really care about that particular PS3 or something, at least send them an email. They probably won't care, but the more people report it, the more likely they are to take notice.

Edited by SuperSmexy500
Clarification
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

So, yeah... Could be an issue. At the very least, it's unlikely you will ever be able to redownload content, since you'll no longer be able to access PSN.

Its worded poorly because it’s referring to the consoles abilities, not the users. 

We know it’s worded poorly because we have people in this thread with banned consoles who are able to connect with their account on unbanned consoles. 

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

Its worded poorly because it’s referring to the consoles abilities, not the users. 

You would be able to redownload content on a different PS3, assuming the PSN account wasn't banned, but the banned PS3 would basically be stuck with whatever is already downloaded onto it.

Having to buy a new PS3 because your current one is banned for no apparent reason is not ideal though.

1 minute ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

You would be able to redownload content on a different PS3, assuming the PSN account wasn't banned, but the banned PS3 would basically be stuck with whatever is already downloaded onto it.

Having to buy a new PS3 because your current one is banned for no apparent reason is not ideal though.

Yes, that’s why in every case I’ve heard of someone having a console ban, security support (not to be confused with general level 1 customer support) was able to provide a reason for the ban in reasonable time. 

And the banned console would not be able to verify licenses already downloaded and may not be able to actually use content already downloaded. Some have reported some still worked, but timed content (like Plus games) have stopped working as soon as the ban was placed. 

• Like 1

I was (and still am) quite worried about this. As I’ve mentioned before, the PS3 I’m currently using isn’t mine, but borrowed from a friend. I just booted it up and signed onto PSN with no issues, thankfully. 

But my PS3 cannot connect to the internet because it can’t update (bad WiFi/Bluetooth chip) and now I’m worried that when I’m able to get it repaired it will be banned. 

Sony needs to address this and unban the wrongfully banned consoles ASAP. 

Logged into my super slim for the first time in a couple of months and everything is working fine for me.

Could this be a case of the network identifying two instances of the same device, and handing out an automated short term ban? 

• Like 1