Millions possibly all PS3 console IDs leaked causing consoles to be banned

GUDGER666

15 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

Yeah, that's the impression that I got as well, it was kind of like "Hey, why worry about it when it's going to be gone in 2 days anyway, right?" And you know, I kind of agree with him.  If my job wasn't so boring would have quit worrying about it Monday morning.  Anyway, thanks for your help and I hope your account gets unlocked.  Don't worry about the haters and whatnot, everyone will forget this by Thursday anyway.

I think it may be worth trying to contact them again, even if it is a hassle. The fact your console was re-banned means something is definitely up at the least, and it may not be long till it's permanently banned. You should be able to get through to a cooperative rep eventually, and as @DaivRules suggests, try to get straight to the point and ask for someone else if you feel you need to.

Obviously it's up to you, they're your consoles. I just know I personally wouldn't be satisfied with this "resolution" at all, and you don't seem to be either.

11 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I think it may be worth trying to contact them again, even if it is a hassle. The fact your console was re-banned means something is definitely up at the least, and it may not be long till it's permanently banned. You should be able to get through to a cooperative rep eventually, and as @DaivRules suggests, try to get straight to the point and ask for someone else if you feel you need to.

Obviously it's up to you, they're your consoles. I just know I personally wouldn't be satisfied with this "resolution" at all, and you don't seem to be either.

No, I think I'm fine with the resolution, or at least prefer to continue in private.  That dude that's been spitting fire about sensationalism is actually right, by the way, I just don't think him crapping on a private person is the place for it to be done.  As a result of this thread, if you google "PS3 console id's leaked," you'll get at least a dozen articles that ARE yellow journalism and ARE in fact clickbait.  They only reference the same 2 data points, though, namely this thread and the youtube video.  What y'all aren't picking up is that if you want to make a difference or find the truth in something, you HAVE to use this crap as a tool, which is what has happened now.  I'm waiting for the article from a larger news source, and I'm looking for the exact words "When asked, Sony wouldn't comment on this issue."  Here's why:

Contrary to some opinions, the GLBA is vague on the details of information leaks and the requirements for reporting them:  basically as a company, you have to report any data breaches "as soon as possible" after "being made aware of" the situation.  One of us telling a CSR doesn't count:  it has to be someone with a little power, direct access to Sony's PR department, and access to a public forum (read: journalists).  Once one of those agencies picks up the phone and calls their contact at Sony, then prints Sony's "no comment,"  the clock starts on finding out if this is truly an issue.

The rest of you helped with this by making the thread big enough for the smaller "news" sources to take notice, so thanks for that.  I am VERY interested in not being banned on my PS3's right now: I'm moderately interested in helping anyone on PsnP who has a similar situation.  I'm only barely interested in whether there was a leak or not, but at least I set all you guys up for maybe actually finding out instead of endless speculation.  Maybe.  You're welcome.

This will be my last post in this thread, though I'll probably read some tomorrow for fun.  Also thanks for another great tip Daivrules, I'm glad you've been reading this since the beginning.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Oh, I have read most of this thread and it brings me comfort that I was not the only one in this situation... In my case, the sony representative rejected to say which terms I violated and told me that the solution was to buy a new Ps3 as the account is not banned. I felt really bad about this as I take care of my ps3 and as I read elsewhere that that person got the same response I burst into tears... I don't think that the solution is to buy a new Ps3 because who assures me that the new ps3 won't get banned? It is a tough situation. I have faith that Sony will unban the consoles or try to improve the security measures... Maybe I should try to communicate tomorrow and be more specific like @DaivRules stated.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ShadowManuX said:

Oh, I have read most of this thread and it brings me comfort that I was not the only one in this situation... In my case, the sony representative rejected to say which terms I violated and told me that the solution was to buy a new Ps3 as the account is not banned. I felt really bad about this as I take care of my ps3 and as I read elsewhere that that person got the same response I burst into tears... I don't think that the solution is to buy a new Ps3 because who assures me that the new ps3 won't get banned? It is a tough situation. I have faith that Sony will unban the consoles or try to improve the security measures... Maybe I should try to communicate tomorrow and be more specific like @DaivRules stated.

Unfortunately Sony just don't care and imo are trying to hide what's happening. The reports of people saying their console is banned are increasing like i knew they would, the number of consoles affected will be much higher but because not many use them anymore they aren't getting reported because they just don't know. PS3 days are numbered i think, so many problems this year, PS Plus and purchased games not showing. Consoles banned. Sign in issues all the time for many.  Store is a mess, for some it just won't load/can't make purchases due to errors/invisible purchase button/downloads fail. If the PS3 isn't offline sometime next year i will be surprised. 

• Like 1

I'm starting to wonder if this has something to do with version 4.88 on the PS3. It seems this issue really started being noticed/reported around the time that update was pushed. It wouldn't be the first time an update has caused issues (there was actually something just like this with the Nintendo Switch recently), and I think it may have something to do with Sony's servers possibly not communicating with the update correctly on occasion. Obviously it's just speculation, but the fact is, PS3 CIDs have been sold and passed around for several years now, I don't know if the leak was true and if it was, if it actually happened in April or long before then (interestingly, April this year would be the 10th anniversary of the infamous 2011 PSN hack). It seems strange this would suddenly be happening to so many people in a relatively short time frame.

I've noticed a few other people also reporting their consoles have been banned on places like Reddit since the date this thread was created. It does seem like for the vast majority of people, the console is unbanned within a few days to a week (even if Sony says otherwise). I'd say it's worth it to keep checking every now and then to see if you're unbanned. The fact consoles are being unbanned makes me believe all the more this may be a firmware and/or server issue. At the end of the day, Sony probably isn't manually banning any PS3 any more, it's an automated process, one that could be screwing up somewhere along the line now, perhaps detecting the same CID being online twice at the same time incorrectly. It's still not clear if the consoles being unbanned is a manual thing or not though.

There's been a number of issues with PS3 and Vita in recent months, such as consoles randomly deactivating themselves, patches not downloading, games not installing after being downloaded, PS Plus games no longer working if your let your membership lapse, profile colours and "about me" sections resetting themselves, general connectivity issues, and this. I think they're either kinda just leaving the servers to deteriorate, or they are/were planning to shut down PSN for these systems in the upcoming year or so, and have slowly been taking measures to implement it (though I think the former is more likely).

I'm hoping that if this is a fault with the firmware and/or server, they eventually fix it as they have done with patches and PS Plus games (for the most part), but they're not going to care/notice unless enough people bring it to their attention, so definitely contact Sony if you find your console has been banned, even if they're unhelpful, keep trying, try to ask to talk to someone in security as @DaivRules mentioned, and hopefully you managed to get it unbanned.

Still no issues on my end, for what it's worth.

Edit: The 2011 PSN hack reminded me of something. Out of curiosity, for those that have had their PS3s banned, when was your PSN account created? Doubt it's related, but I'm curious if there's any PS3s affected that have accounts on them that were created after the 2011 fiasco.

Edited by SuperSmexy500

Just wanted to add my main PS3 (slim) to the list of banned consoles and hopefully keep this conversation relevant. My 2nd PS3 is still working (super slim). I've yet to contact customer support, and as far as I can tell, they don't want me to. There is no appeal process because why would there be? I'm a cheater who needs the ban hammer.

After reading through this thread, I've found myself annoyed at the people who are dismissing this issue. I booted my PS3's up about a week ago to clean up some old games. It took a full week of playing (probably about 40 gameplay hours) before my console was banned. So just because a bunch of people are saying "I hit the power button and it still works" doesn't mean this issue isn't as large as originally suggested. 

Is it not possible that the ban occurs only if you and the nefarious person who has your serial number attached to their console are playing at the same time?

6 hours ago, Plattitudes said:

Is it not possible that the ban occurs only if you and the nefarious person who has your serial number attached to their console are playing at the same time?

If memory serves, two different PS3s playing with the same ID would cause one or the other system to be logged out. But this should have been a really rare event before this. At a guess, it's more that the IDs are marked as hacked (or whathaveyou) and it suddenly being active again leads to the network banning the system. As to why it took 40 hours, you're guess is as good as mine.

I was getting ready to set up the PS3 to knock down a couple older games when I remembered this happened. A bit wary to try now. 

13 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

I was getting ready to set up the PS3 to knock down a couple older games when I remembered this happened. A bit wary to try now. 

I guess you could play offline and connect it to their servers when you need to update the trophies. 

But I don't know how much we can let the PS3 trophies wait for an update before getting your account banned from the leaderboards over here. If I remember correctly it was one week max but not sure

Edited by maiathewinners

25 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

If memory serves, two different PS3s playing with the same ID would cause one or the other system to be logged out. But this should have been a really rare event before this. At a guess, it's more that the IDs are marked as hacked (or whathaveyou) and it suddenly being active again leads to the network banning the system. As to why it took 40 hours, you're guess is as good as mine.

The same PSN account maybe, I'm not sure about the same console ID, I imagine it likely could result in an automated ban since that should theoretically be impossible unless there's hacking involved.

If it's true CIDs have leaked, it doesn't even matter if you don't use your PS3, it could be banned even if you don't use it. It's a hardware ban tied to the console's ID, so even if it's completely offline, if someone somewhere is using that console ID on a CFW console, it could still get your original system banned. So I'd say just play it if you want to and hope for the best.

I noticed a recent post on Reddit from someone who has allegedly been receiving console bans on and off for the past year. It's a very strange situation, and sadly possibly one that will never be resolved, since Sony really don't care about the PS3 any more.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up to my previous post. A few days later the console was unbanned. I played for another 40-ish hours or so, and now it's banned again. 

I think this is further evidence that this issue may be very widespread. Simply turning on your PS3 to see if it's banned isn't enough. I also find the premise of the 2011 hack being the source of the leaked console ID's as credible since it's only my slim (released in 2009) that's getting banned, and not my super slim (2012).

I doubt anything ever comes of this. It'll just remain a hidden, niche issue as most people have moved on from the PS3, but I hope the conversation stays alive. It's Sony's fault the ID's leaked in the first place, and their response to the problem just further punishes innocent and paying customers.

13 minutes ago, Plattitudes said:

I think this is further evidence that this issue may be very widespread. Simply turning on your PS3 to see if it's banned isn't enough. I also find the premise of the 2011 hack being the source of the leaked console ID's as credible since it's only my slim (released in 2009) that's getting banned, and not my super slim (2012).

But how do you prove that's not just cognitive bias?

And if your hypothesis is true, than all Super Slims are safe forever from being affected by this?

28 minutes ago, Plattitudes said:

Mine is a Super Slim and from what I've seen most that are getting banned are Super Slims. 

10 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

But how do you prove that's not just cognitive bias?

And if your hypothesis is true, than all Super Slims are safe forever from being affected by this?

Yea, I mean I can't. No average Joe really can. All I can really do is make an educated guess using what I know to be facts, but you must read as anecdotal evidence.

1.) My PS3 has been banned twice within 3 weeks due to no fault of my own. 

2.) This issue is at very least affecting a portion of the PS3 population as this thread exists and a few smaller news outlets have picked up the story.

3.) The person who initiated the conversation suggests what may be happening, which I'm inclined to believe as he/she obviously had enough insight to realize this was not an isolated incident in the first place.

4.) Sony will not un-ban my console. One of the first things their call catcher says is "no representative is able to discuss or lift a ban". They have no support tickets to submit unless your ban is due to a negative account balance. All other ban reasons are denied.

And yea, I guess that's what I'm suggesting in regards to the super slim. Maybe enough people reply that we can get closer to confirming or denying that theory.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I think i'm (almost) a victim of this.

My PS3 no longer automatically connects to PSN, as i'm welcomed with a 8002A280 error code when i turn it on.

All results on Google are about CFW, which is not my case. No one else in my house is capable of using a PS3 or other gaming systems.

However, it does connect to PSN if i do it manually. I've already tried resetting my router and reconfiguring the network settings, to no avail.

Edited by Lance_87