Millions possibly all PS3 console IDs leaked causing consoles to be banned

GUDGER666

A lot of modders get a hold of a hand full of keys & then they just generally randomly cycle them using a script / software until it works. 

It's pure pot luck if it lands on your CID or not. If there was a mass security leak of CIDs then we would have definitely heard by now because you know GDPR and Sony doesn't have the greatest rep for these sorts of things. 

4 minutes ago, MickeyMixLipa said:

A lot of modders get a hold of a hand full of keys & then they just generally randomly cycle them using a script / software until it works. 

It's pure pot luck if it lands on your CID or not. If there was a mass security leak of CIDs then we would have definitely heard by now because you know GDPR and Sony doesn't have the greatest rep for these sorts of things. 

So the risk of this happening isn't really elevated? That makes me feel a bit better, but still, I hate people that steal PS3 console IDs.

1 minute ago, ElevExplorer64 said:

So the risk of this happening isn't really elevated? That makes me feel a bit better, but still, I hate people that steal PS3 console IDs.

The risk isn't elevated at all, obviously the more consoles you have the risk gets greater but other than that it's technically 1 in 100 million. 

I have been using my PS3 slim to watch Netflix and, fortunately, I have been able to sign in to my PSN account without any problems.

This problem worries me and I hope that my PS3 won’t get affected. I love my PS3 and there are still games that I want to play on it. It’s a console that causes me massive nostalgia, especially due to my times playing Uncharted 3’s MP. Nostalgia is a terrible feeling… ?

• Like 1

I wonder if this data breach was instrumental in that premature decision to shut down PS3 store support. Something like that impacts shareholder/investor confidence when console modders are able to hold Sony's balls by burning the serial numbers of innocent PS3 owners who have done nothing wrong. In certain countries, it could lead to lawsuits if the banning gets out of hand.

Anyway, my PS3 is fine. Australian stock. I encourage others posting the ban/no ban thing to indicate region too, in case there's a pattern of whether only a select batch of serial numbers were compromised.

Edited by Eraezr

Well i can see some of you are reporting some of your consoles are also showing as banned. Mine is a super slim which I've had since new, my other is also a super slim and as of now working and is only used when i self boost. 

Got a response from email and they are acting like i said account, typical from them. Can't use live chat or phone them until Monday which is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Eraezr said:

I wonder if this data breach

This is still alleged and the US has specific laws about public companies disclosing data breaches in a very short period of time, which makes me think this is not that. 

To say that Sony decided anything about their store shutdown because of knowing about a data breach would already have indicated Sony knowingly broke a law it’s lawyers are quite familiar with. 

• Like 2

Have been playing regularly on both of my PS3's, and unfortunately my first one was banned last Saturday.  Slim, bought new in 2012.  No email from Sony, no indication as to what it was.  Figured it was an anomaly and would be restored, so I just worked on another game on my other PS3.

That one got banned yesterday.  Super slim, bought used from Gamestop in 2015.  Again, no email from Sony.  Same code, 8002A227. Started googling this to see if this was a global thing and found this thread, which is already on page 4 and it's been less than 12 hours.  I'd say there is something happening here, so anyone that wants to talk about conspiracy theories and whatnot, I'd appreciate if you'd step back on this one and let those affected try to get together to find a solution.

First off, for those that say "just contact Sony," have you tried to contact Sony recently?  The website is completely circular logic.  If you call the 800 number (1-800-345-SONY), they'll send you through a few menus, put you on hold for a few minutes, then a message comes on saying  "Sorry, we can't take your call today," and hangs up.  Yes, this is during normal business hours (M-F, 9-6 PST).  The Contact Us on the website gives you Twitter or a Chat Bot, and I would love to email them if anyone could send me an email address: I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Live chat:  can anyone send a link to their live chat?  My wife found it once about 6 months ago, but we can't seem to get there from Sony's website any more.

Finally, if anyone has gone through this and been unbanned before, I have an important question:  do you think the solution will involve reformatting the console? I'm 160 games in to a 200 game speed run right now and I don't want to earn any trophies if I'll never be able to sync them.  I guess I have some PS4 games left, I'll work on those for the next few weeks and hope this gets resolved.  Thanks to anyone that can help with this, and thanks for reading the long post!

• Like 3

My PS3s are a slim and super slim, both bought new. I do have my original fatty laying in storage as well, but it's semi-dead, so can't really check it.

My region is EU/UK.

For the others that have unfortunately found some of their PS3s banned so far, how long has it been since you last checked them/turned them on? From a lot of past cases of this, it seems it isn't uncommon for it to happen to people that haven't even used their PS3 in a while. Dunno if it's just coincidence or not.

1 minute ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

For the others that have unfortunately found some of their PS3s banned so far, how long has it been since you last checked them/turned them on? From a lot of past cases of this, it seems it isn't uncommon for it to happen to people that haven't even used their PS3 in a while. Dunno if it's just coincidence or not.

Definitely not coincidence in my case, these guys have been on at least 8 hours a day for months.  I'm proud of them acutally, each one has probably 20k hours of service and I was just about to say goodbye to them anyway :)

11 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

Have been playing regularly on both of my PS3's, and unfortunately my first one was banned last Saturday.  Slim, bought new in 2012.  No email from Sony, no indication as to what it was.  Figured it was an anomaly and would be restored, so I just worked on another game on my other PS3.

Was the ban on the Slim temporary? That sucks this has happened on your other PS3 as well. 

22 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

Live chat:  can anyone send a link to their live chat?  My wife found it once about 6 months ago, but we can't seem to get there from Sony's website any more.

The live chat link only shows up on the web page during live chat hours. And I suspect if the queue gets over a certain size the link disappears as well, based on an experience I had previously. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

The live chat link only shows up on the web page during live chat hours. And I suspect if the queue gets over a certain size the link disappears as well, based on an experience I had previously. 

Thank you, that is extremely helpful!  I'll have my wife camp the website on Monday, I'll let you all know what we come up with!

27 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

That one got banned yesterday.  Super slim, bought used from Gamestop in 2015.  Again, no email from Sony.  Same code, 8002A227. Started googling this to see if this was a global thing and found this thread, which is already on page 4 and it's been less than 12 hours.  I'd say there is something happening here, so anyone that wants to talk about conspiracy theories and whatnot, I'd appreciate if you'd step back on this one and let those affected try to get together to find a solution.

First off, for those that say "just contact Sony," have you tried to contact Sony recently?  The website is completely circular logic.  If you call the 800 number (1-800-345-SONY), they'll send you through a few menus, put you on hold for a few minutes, then a message comes on saying  "Sorry, we can't take your call today," and hangs up.  Yes, this is during normal business hours (M-F, 9-6 PST).  The Contact Us on the website gives you Twitter or a Chat Bot, and I would love to email them if anyone could send me an email address: I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Finally, if anyone has gone through this and been unbanned before, I have an important question:  do you think the solution will involve reformatting the console? I'm 160 games in to a 200 game speed run right now and I don't want to earn any trophies if I'll never be able to sync them.  I guess I have some PS4 games left, I'll work on those for the next few weeks and hope this gets resolved.  Thanks to anyone that can help with this, and thanks for reading the long post!

Unfortunately I doubt Sony will do anything to solve your issue, from their view, they probably got data that "your" ps3 was modded and accessed PSN, as you IDPS was spoofed.

Trying to argue will certainly be a waste of time.

Our only hope would be trying to make this issue reported on media, forcing Sony to relax on their ban-hammer to avoid banning innocents (but as they're traumatized by 2011 hacks, they will most certainly ignore this issue exist and screw ps3 owners).

1 minute ago, EdinhoN said:

Trying to argue will certainly be a waste of time.

Our only hope would be trying to make this issue reported on media,

I'll let you know, because I certainly don't think it's a waste of time.  I gave them thousands over the years and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask them to let me use what I paid for.

As for the media thing, I was thinking the same thing:  I was just going to screen cap this headline (good one by the way, TC) and send it to like a vg news place.  One of the good ones, that would actually call and bug Sony about it.  Anyone have any good suggestions?  IGN?  Gamesradar?

• Like 1