Millions possibly all PS3 console IDs leaked causing consoles to be banned

GUDGER666

3 minutes ago, maiathewinners said:

Maybe my theory of it actually being people on online lobbies being able to somehow get the PS3 IP is true. If other people who got their IP banned can confirm they played an online match we could check this out

Its not an IP ban its a console ban. When i played online it was just me and my other PS3 in a private lobby. The ban popped up right after i bought a load of PS4 games. The only unusual thing lately is that whenever i buy anything on the PS4 store i am signed out or the store crashes, doubt that's related. 

Just now, dieselmanchild said:

This is extremely worrying. Is there anything we can do to protect against this happening? And what is Sony doing to address this or compensate those like yourself who have been wrongly banned?

to my knowledge, literally nothing can be done. We don't know if Sony is aware/cares about this.

Just now, dieselmanchild said:

Part of what worries me so much is that Sony seems to not give two shits about things like this.

If you do get banned falsely, maybe it’s possible to get unbanned, but I’d imagine it won’t be without jumping through endless hoops and tirelessly dealing with Sony customer service . That’s if they even believe you and take pity on you at all.

I still use my PS3 all the time so I’m not about to get banned on it. Heck, I’m using it as I type this.

all we can do is kick up a fuss on news media outlets and maybe alert consumer watchdog groups, governments regarding consumer rights, etc.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Floorkiller74 said:

These are console bans, not IP bans.

Both my PS3's are fie for now. I do play online, but only when self boosting. 

Could you or anyone else explain the difference between a console ban and an IP ban? I honestly wouldn’t know.

Just now, GUDGER666 said:

Its not an IP ban its a console ban. When i played online it was just me and my other PS3 in a private lobby. The ban popped up right after i bought a load of PS4 games. The only unusual thing lately is that whenever i buy anything on the PS4 store i am signed out or the store crashes, doubt that's related. 

Interesting you should mention that, I came across someone else who had also recently purchased games on their PS4, and got a system ban on their PS3. This was posted nearly a year ago now though.

It's a complete shot in the dark, but maybe try checking to make sure all your payments went through. I imagine they would ban your PSN account if they didn't, not your PS3 console, but it might still be worth checking.

I've also had the PS4 store crash on me a lot in recent months, even caused my PS4 to turn itself off a while ago. I think the store on there is just steadily getting more unstable.

Also not sure if it's been asked already, but for everyone that has gotten one of their PS3s banned, did you have 2-factor enabled?

• Like 1

Just now, HoorayForTyler said:

Could you or anyone else explain the difference between a console ban and an IP ban? I honestly wouldn’t know.

A console is specific to the hardware console connecting to the network. An IP (Internet Protocol) address is an identifier from the device connecting to the address, but for

most people, the IP is assigned to a router and everything in that house or on that router shares that same IP address. 

11 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Interesting you should mention that, I came across someone else who had also recently purchased games on their PS4, and got a system ban on their PS3. This was posted nearly a year ago now though.

Also not sure if it's been asked already, but for everyone that has gotten one of their PS3s banned, did you have 2-factor enabled?

Yea that's weird. I paid via psn credit and everything went through. I have password setup at checkout and 2 step activated for ages. I've made PS Email support aware of this issue and they said they have forwarded it to a higher team. This is the original post that made me aware of the issue last week, Sony said it was for hacking/exploiting and they were banned for 3 days. 

• Like 1

Super Slim 12GB Model here, everything ok for now.

This really worries to a good extent, it's really bad to think that your console can be banned due it's CID simply being stolen and you having no way to prevent it. But with so much to worry about future of legacy consoles down the line, I just made my peace that so many shit is going to hit us legacy console owners from now on (Especially after the whole PS Store closing issue) that I decided to worry less about this and just try to fix what I can and what I can't I live on with it. In the case on my ps3 being banned I'll definitely complain a lot and demand proof that I indeed hacked my console, but if complaints comes be unfruitful I'd just buy an used ps3 and play online on that =/.

I really feel we are being ignored HARD.

• Like 1

After 6hrs my other PS3 has finally synced my trophy list. Wanted to keep this PS3 hardly used as its like new. If my main PS3 gets unbanned then i think i will get any online trophies i can self boost and call it a day with that PS3. Its a shame because I've maintained it really well, recently gave it a new coat of thermal paste. Only thing i could've lost is a few saves that can't be copied to usb. 

So far all the PS3s that seem to be banned are Slims and Super Slims. 

10 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I don't know where this 'banned' message is suppose to come up at... but... I just signed into PSN on my PS3... and nothing happened.

I seem to be fine. I think. I hope.

My guess is that you would get the error code when you account tries to log in. I'd say if you can log into PSN, you haven't received any kind of console ban. 

19 minutes ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

I really feel we are being ignored HARD.

Yea i bet Sony really don't care about this issue. Problem is not many actually use PS3 anymore and when they do, for most its a long time apart so they could've been banned but won't know. Of the 87M console sold the actual amount in use can't be many. The amount of time the bans last seems to be mostly 3 days, so even though only a few here have reported their console is showing as banned, to me that says the issue is widespread. I would suggest people try to sign in every 3 days or at least once a week. Loads went crazy when store was going offline so hopefully more and more at least try their consoles. 

Also including this, the other issues PS3 is having is for some PS Plus games not working which is the reason i actually signed in to my PS3 to check. Lots unable to sign in which was widespread not long ago and is still affecting some. Others been unable to activate their console due to an error that says you already have 0 PS3s activated. And some unable to sign in because it says their password is incorrect. 

16 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Also including this, the other issues PS3 is having is for some PS Plus games not working which is the reason i actually signed in to my PS3 to check. Lots unable to sign in which was widespread not long ago and is still affecting some. Others been unable to activate their console due to an error that says you already have 0 PS3s activated. And some unable to sign in because it says their password is incorrect. 

Can't speak on the PS Plus games not working or already having 0 PS3s activated issue but for being unable to sign in because their password is incorrect, they need to check if they have two-factor authentication enabled.

If it is, they need to setup a device password in their PSN Account settings https://id.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/, PS3 doesn't have the ability to process 2FA so they implemented device passwords as a fix. Same for the PS Vita.

If 2FA is disabled then they need to check how many digits their password has, PS3 login portal is finicky with how many digits your password has.

Just something to check as it may be not an error with PSN itself.