Millions possibly all PS3 console IDs leaked causing consoles to be banned

GUDGER666

Ps3 superslim here (EU), bought used, changed HDD last summer, log in successful. After a hour I tried again, still everything ok. 

Last time I played MP was almost 5 months ago.

I'm worried about this, but I take this news as a way to tell me to complete my ps3 backlog as soon as I can. And if I can't, at least I tried. 

I sincerely hope there is a way to let blocked ps3 to play again. 

I checked my 4 PS3s and all are logging in fine on 4.88. Two were bought brand new back in the days (both phat) and the other two are pre-owned (phat and slim, changed the HDD on both though). All are EU models.

1 hour ago, GUDGER666 said:

First site to report on it. 

https://opattack.com/ps3-consoles-hacked-again/

Well, I suppose a poorly written article getting attention to a bigger problem is better than no attention at all. 

Well, in simple words, if the hackers have your console IDs, they can utilize them to do malicious things on your consoles.

No. That’s not even close to what is possible or what is happening. 

Also:

However, now that we are in 2021 where PS5 has been released, it’s natural that there is no to little support for such an old console.

Then linking an article discussing Sony’s long term security support and showing there have been two firmware updates in the last 7 months, directly contradicting the very words used in this sentence.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

What's more annoying is when you see a post on Reddit that got some attention and most are just saying its all BS and I've obviously hacked, and nobody else is saying this has happened to them in these comments. So frustrating. 

I'd literally destroy my PS3 before I hack it.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

What's more annoying is when you see a post on Reddit that got some attention and most are just saying its all BS and I've obviously hacked, and nobody else is saying this has happened to them in these comments. So frustrating. 

i hope your problem will be resolved soon. Have you contacted Sony already?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ElevExplorer64 said:

I'd literally destroy my PS3 before I hack it.

I don't even play online anymore with randoms just incase something happens. I hate people who use CFW and go online to ruin it for others. According to Reddit us that are affected know each other and were online hacking, man that place is so toxic. 

2 minutes ago, Kale said:

i hope your problem will be resolved soon. Have you contacted Sony already?

Only by email, they are closed for calls and live chat on weekends. 

This seems to have been gaining more traction, I've found another site reporting on the issue.

Loads more reddit posts discussing it as well, mostly notably this one. Sadly, it seems many of the posts made about this on r/PS3 or r/PlayStation have either been largely ignored, downvoted or even removed. Seems some people think there's just not enough evidence to warrant discussing this.

When the whole issue with some games not being able to download patches on PS3 started circulating on news sites, that seem to be silently fixed (for the most part) not too long after. If there's any speculation of a data breach however, I imagine Sony will ever 1. Step forward and comment on the matter or 2. Bury their head in the sand and hope this all just blows over.

They won't be able to do the latter forever though if there legit has been a data breach.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

This seems to have been gaining more traction, I've found another site reporting on the issue.

Loads more reddit posts discussing it as well, mostly notably this one. Sadly, it seems many of the posts made about this on r/PS3 or r/PlayStation have either been largely ignored, downvoted or even removed. Seems some people think there's just not enough evidence to warrant discussing this.

When the whole issue with some games not being able to download patches on PS3 started circulating on news sites, that seem to be silently fixed (for the most part) not too long after. If there's any speculation of a data breach however, I imagine Sony will ever 1. Step forward and comment on the matter or 2. Bury their head in the sand and hope this all just blows over.

They won't be able to do the latter forever though if there legit has been a data breach.

Discussing on Reddit will not do any good. On Reddit they have literally a marketplace for console IP, and tutorial on how to buy them and use them to unban blocked consoles. That place is a shit hole. 

Edited by Play3GianniGreed
  • Like 1

So I gather there is no definitive timeline of when these when these CIDs were leaked?

I'm just speculating here but if the CIDs were leaked during the 2011 data breach, would it be safe to presume that any consoles bought new after the data breach, that hadn't been activated yet would be safe from being banned given the CID would be new also?

I don't see the logic in having every CID just sitting in a unsecure folder on their network after the last data breach, you would assume Sony to be more vigilant and have revised their protocols in handling sensitive information.

And I'm aware hackers will always be testing for holes in security and such but to just leave sensitive information sitting in a regular folder in this day and age baffles me.

16 minutes ago, Play3GianniGreed said:

Discussing on Reddit will not do any good. On Reddit they have literally a marketplace for console IP, and tutorial on how to buy them and use them to unban blocked consoles. That place is a shit hole. 

Yeah, Reddit is awful (especially the thread I linked in fact, absolutely shit show going on in there from what I skimmed), but at least it's getting attention somewhere. Could potentially lead to some new info or prompt news sites reporting on it. Could also lead to nothing, but the possibility is there at least.

12 minutes ago, Null_Spectre said:

So I gather there is no definitive timeline of when these when these CIDs were leaked?

I'm just speculating here but if the CIDs were leaked during the 2011 data breach, would it be safe to presume that any consoles bought new after the data breach, that hadn't been activated yet would be safe from being banned given the CID would be new also?

I don't see the logic in having every CID just sitting in a unsecure folder on their network after the last data breach, you would assume Sony to be more vigilant and have revised their protocols in handling sensitive information.

And I'm aware hackers will always be testing for holes in security and such but to just leave sensitive information sitting in a regular folder in this day and age baffles me.

I was thinking this as well, I'm very doubtful of this being a recent data breach, assuming there has been one. I think it's more likely this is something that's been out there for a while, and just dug up recently. A lot of the consoles being reported as banned are slim and super slim models however, so I'm not sure.

From what I've heard from people that have worked for Sony, the whole 2011 hack heavily impacted them and made them "paranoid" should we say, of anything "hacking" related. So yes, I highly doubt they would have such poor security in this day and age.

But maybe it was an oversight on their part, or hackers found a way to access the CIDs through some other means.

But I have to say, this whole thing seems strange to me. 

Not saying it's not true, but... 

I have checked the video on YouTube and it was posted two months ago, and the only comments on that video are from Spanish people. 

What I'm saying is, if this thing is true, i'd except a whole different magnitude of coverage. But instead, it's just that one video from a random spanish dude and this thread here. 

And we can't know from people that are banned when they got banned, because it's ps3 we are talking about, and a lot of people haven't turned it on in years. So we can't know if it's related to this or not. I use it regularly, my brother has a huge backlog of game and plays on it almost everyday, I think that if something was bound to happen, it should have already.

Just my two cents. 

Edited by Play3GianniGreed
  • Like 3

There's just one thing that doesn't make much sense to me: as far as I know, if Sony catches you using CFW on your console, both the device and the account using custom firmware get permabanned. I've never installed CFW on any of my consoles, but I know that Sony has a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to this stuff. OP received just a three-day ban, without any repercussions when it comes to his account. If the hacker who obtained your CID got caught using CFW and got your console banned, why is it only banned for three days? I'd expect you to get nuked off PSN immediately for this kind of "infraction".  

Just now, UnstoppableRock1 said:

There's just one thing that doesn't make much sense to me: as far as I know, if Sony catches you using CFW on your console, both the device and the account using custom firmware get permabanned. I've never installed CFW on any of my consoles, but I know that Sony has a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to this stuff. OP received just a three-day ban, without any repercussions when it comes to his account. If the hacker who obtained your CID got caught using CFW and got your console banned, why is it only banned for three days? I'd expect you to get nuked off PSN immediately for this kind of "infraction".  

Thats the myth, but it’s not what happens. It’s pretty effective for scaring people off of trying things Sony doesn’t want them to, though. 

4 minutes ago, Play3GianniGreed said:

I have checked the video on YouTube and it was posted two months ago, and the only comments on that video are from Spanish people. 

What I'm saying is, if this thing is true, i'd except a whole different magnitude of coverage. But instead, it's just that one video from a random spanish dude and this thread here. 

And we can't know from people that are banned when they got banned, because it's ps3 we are talking about, and a lot of people haven't turned it on in years. So we can't know if it's related to this or not. I use it regularly, my brother has a huge backlog of game and plays on it almost everyday, I think that if something was bound to happen, it should have already.

Just my two cents. 

Well 4 of the reported consoles are from the past 7 days. Mine was around 2am Saturday. Its not just here as well, the original post that made me start searching and made me aware of an apparent ID leak was from Reddit a week ago. 

1 hour ago, Null_Spectre said:

Some of the consoles are Super Slims, they were released October 2012. 

6 minutes ago, Play3GianniGreed said:

Just my two cents. 

Yeah, it's very weird. Looking at that guy's other video thumbnails and titles based on Google translate, a lot of them do seem kinda "click baity" to say the least.

I have to wonder if this hasn't already been a thing for a very long time, maybe even since the 2011 hack. As I mentioned before, people getting randomly banned on their PS3 is nothing new, you can find a few threads here and there throughout the web over the years.

PS3 CIDs have already been circulating for several years. You can find them for sale on eBay, and there seems to be a hacking forum that has been circulating "free"/public CIDs since at least 2013.

It could just be bad coincidence that OP and the few others in this thread have had their PS3s banned now, might not be related to anything new that's happened, they just got unlucky that some hacker decided to use a CID that happened to be theirs. Could have even been randomly generated and the 1 in 1 million chance of it being there's just so happened to occur. And from how many worded their posts, it seems like they took their PS3s out of storage just to check them(?), in which case, who knows how long those consoles have been banned for.

Either way, I'm interested to see what the outcome to all of this is, if anything. It would be nice if Sony just stops banning consoles because, quite frankly, it doesn't make a lot of sense anyway; it just creates a console that can no longer go online, the hacker can just get another PS3, sign in with their same PSN account and create another offline only PS3. It's not like they really even seem to care any more, you go to any online lobby on any PS3 CoD or something, you're bound to find hackers. The PS3 store was set to close down in less than a month. Aside from keeping the servers up for syncing trophies, buying/redownloading content, downloading patches and PS+ cloud storage, there isn't really a lot of support from Sony any more anyway, and as we know, even patches were having issues with not downloading for some games fairly recently.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, UnstoppableRock1 said:

I don't know how long the ban is yet. The 3 days is from someone on Reddit who it happened to. I will find out tomorrow if i get any info out of Sony.