Sony Wants to Support Cross-Play More, PlayStation Boss Jim Ryan Says

After being one of the slowest to adopt cross-play, Sony Interactive Entertainment's president and CEO Jim Ryan has said the company wants more cross-platform multiplayer for PlayStation games.

In an interview with Axios, Ryan clearly stated that "we support and encourage cross-play," while also noting that cross-play currently works with such big games as Fortnite, Rocket League, Call of Duty, Minecraft, and Destiny 2, the last of which will be available soon.

PlayStation doesn't plan on stopping there, and Ryan confirmed that "that number will continue to grow."

That doesn't mean its been a smooth road, however, and it was recently revealed during the Epic v. Apple trial that Sony's contract with Epic had them extra cash from cross-platform play, specifically when players would purchase V-bucks on other devices but were still gaming on Sony consoles.

There is also the recent issue with Gearbox and Borderlands 3, as Gearbox president Randy Pitchford recently tweeted out that cross-play would be coming to all platforms except Playstation consoles.

To that, Ryan said he didn't want to talk about a "live business issue with a long-standing partner," but noted "our policies are consistent across all of the publishers."

Edited by Aranea Highwind

Ooh I would certainly support this, cross play in more games would be awesome so we can play with our friends who have Xbox etc.

54 minutes ago, TalalHmd said:

Forget cross-play, I want more games support cross-save between different platforms 

I think this would be neat, though I am unsure of how much demand there would be for it.

49 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

Yes because i wanna be matched up against a pc player with all their mods/hacks

Even against legit players, you're at a disadvantage due to the precision of a mouse versus a controller.

11 minutes ago, ChenZheCHN said:

Wish Sony would force mouse support on all PS games that support cross-play.

Knowing Sony, they'd have to add haptic resistance to the mouse.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Knowing Sony, they'd have to add haptic resistance to the mouse.

Haha

actually I think the better option is to force PC cross players to play with a controller 

but then again, they’ll obviously use a ‘work around’ for that 

Edited by TalalHmd