Are there any serious video games that you find funny that aren’t meant to be funny?

BrettyBoy

Like the topic title asks, are there any serious video games that you find funny that aren’t meant to be funny? For me, it has to be Battlefield V because in the campaign aspect of the game, this solider keeps getting yelled at by another solider because he keeps fucking things up. :P

Edited by BrettyBoy
  • Like 1

I usually laugh a lot during the exposition dump/world building/protagonist has amnesia and needs to get caught up to speed parts of JRPGs. A lot of times the lore is so freaking dense and weird or there are tons of weird conceits that exist only to explain game mechanics. Renaming stuff so the game seems more original provides some entertainment from time to time as well. Stack wonky localization on top of it and I've giggled through the first few hours of many a JRPG.

• Like 2

horizon zero dawn...aloy has this super sense for those stupid repetitive tracking missions but she moves super slow while it's active...thought that was funny...collecting all the data things took forever...

not specific but any game where your character can't jump or swim or even better, dies instantly in water...always makes me laugh...the hitman series comes to mind...professional my a$$...

HgQ0Dgc.jpg

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 3

I'm pleased to see so many comments for Heavy Rain, that's the first one that came to mind. I've also seen too many hilarious glitches for that game

While it's a guilty pleasure and I like the general themes it explores, Shadow The Hedgehog would probably be number 2.  

• Like 3

I'm a sucker for poor voice acting/lines in stuff and general janky moments. 

Oblivion for sure is one for me, full of amazingly poor over the top dialogue, derpy physics and loads of unintentional funny moments.

Shenmue, Dynasty Warriors 3 and House of the Dead 2 are some others that come to mind with the voice acting. Goldman is so bad, hes amazing. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

I'm a sucker for poor voice acting/lines in stuff and general janky moments. 

Oblivion for sure is one for me, full of amazingly poor over the top dialogue, derpy physics and loads of unintentional funny moments.

Shenmue, Dynasty Warriors 3 and House of the Dead 2 are some others that come to mind with the voice acting. Goldman is so bad, hes amazing. 

In my lifetime I've probably put upwards of 100$ in House of the Dead 2 arcade. "No! Don't come!" will never not make me giggle. 

• Like 3

A lot of games, actually, with some treading a fine line through using a mostly serious overtone and nonetheless distilling some humour or tongue in cheek moments.

I’ll only write about games I like (or at least enjoyed playing), some of them very much, which doesn't mean these mostly serious games don’t have moments or elements I find funny.

So, apart from the Cage games that were already mentioned a few times in this thread, I’d say:

Alien Isolation: some deaths or jump ”scares” are funny as hell, and there are some hilarious moments when you can pull pranks on the alien.

8ajM.gif

Mass Effect series: almost everything is corny, from script to dialogues, and there are more variations in languages and customs between neighbouring regions in any small country on Earth than there are in the whole ME universe between people from different systems (or galaxies, even, with Andromeda).

The Last of Us, part 2: too much is too much; Cage-like overpathos bored me to the point that I had so little empathy for anyone (but Maria, maybe) that I just had fun with sneaking around the stupid AI or molotoving the hell out of anything in my path.

Assassin’s Creed series: the TV ”documentary” level of what passes for historical accuracy is sometimes hilarious, almost on par with the accuracy of the controls.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: nice to see how easy it is to communicate with a culture that had no contact with the rest of the world, and still have an ”immersive” option in the settings where everyone speaks their language and yet understands everyone else. The way she decrypts everything on the fly, also. Lara’s deaths in the series are often also very funny (I often picture the voice actress recording all those gory sounds in a studio while answering text messages or perusing a magazine).

Man of Medan: reminded me of horror films spoof trailers some French TV comedians from the 80’s and 90’s (les Nuls) would do. Loved making the wrong choices on purpose, though.

Trover Saves the Universe: I must admit this extremely serious game inspired by real life events made me laugh despite the dramatic setting and the tragic events it describes.

I could have said Conan Exiles, but I find it so bad that it ceases to be funny after twelve seconds, and I only wanted to write about games I actually liked.

• Like 1

Yeah, most of the time David Cage is so full of himself and he forgot how to write something credible. (I dare him to find some public transportation that use Canadian Border as destination).

Anyway, what I want to mention is FF15. I dislike the in game photo taking a lot and FF15 really took it too far IMO. So i deleted all camera rolls and left only one picture, the southern girl from the garage.

And in the end, the protagonist is supposed to select a picture and immerse himself in the memory of his late girlfriend. However the only thing he can do in my game is watching the picture of another girl and do all these serious thinking....

• Like 2

Do you old boys who played Resistance 3 in coop mode, remember how in Reistance 3 when you play coop mode, no one gives a toss about player 2 and never acknowledges his existence and ignores the hell out of him? I’m drunk right now but yeah. :P

Edited by BrettyBoy

Detroit Become Human- I found Hank's interactions with Connor so funny, and also his password in one of the chapters. 

I'm not sure if the Persona games are meant to be funny, but I laughed a lot at various points in both Persona 4 Golden and so far in Persona 5 Royal, also some of the responses you can give as the protagonist are really funny. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 22.6.2021 at 11:50 AM, KennethMcCormick said:

Assassin’s Creed series: the TV ”documentary” level of what passes for historical accuracy is sometimes hilarious, almost on par with the accuracy of the controls.

Early AC games weren't too bad. All ancient aliens stuff aside, Ubisoft did an amazing job in regards of historical accuracy. Now the RPG trilogy is a whole different story, that's where they really stopped giving a shit.

7 hours ago, Baranov_925 said:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Fucked up mechanics, acting of characters on level of The Room, errors during loading - all those shortcomings makes me laugh harder than watching Patrice O'Neal.

The game has a lot of humor and funny moments. Loved the scene where you get drunk with the priest. Or with Hans Capon. Or anyone else. 

• Like 1