PS3 disc drive trouble

TC_217

My ps3 super slim kept freezing or getting stuck in loading screens while trying to play Spider-man Edge of Time on disc. Research led me to believe my blu ray drive might be failing, so i ordered a replacement. After installing the replacement drive, the disc wouldn't even spin nor show up on the menu. I put the original back in and now that one is not working either.

Anyone have any ideas or ever have a similar situation? I'd rather not buy another ps3 just to finish up a handful of games...

4 minutes ago, JRL_1004 said:

Do you know for sure if it's solely the blu-ray drive that's not working? Have you checked to see if any other disc that isn't a blu-ray works? So a PS1 game, CD or a DVD.

Yes, i recently played a ps1 game with no problem. So i figured the problem was either the blu ray drive, or that particular game disc. And the disc is in pretty good condition, a couple very very minor scratch marks

20 minutes ago, TC_217 said:

My ps3 super slim kept freezing or getting stuck in loading screens while trying to play Spider-man Edge of Time on disc. Research led me to believe my blu ray drive might be failing, so i ordered a replacement. After installing the replacement drive, the disc wouldn't even spin nor show up on the menu. I put the original back in and now that one is not working either.

Anyone have any ideas or ever have a similar situation? I'd rather not buy another ps3 just to finish up a handful of games...

You can't just swap over the blu ray drive without also swapping the daughterboard on it as it is married to that specific ps3. As for the original one not working now, it could be something is not properly connected

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TC_217 said:

Yes, i recently played a ps1 game with no problem. So i figured the problem was either the blu ray drive, or that particular game disc. And the disc is in pretty good condition, a couple very very minor scratch marks

Some games just have issues with freezing, even if the disc is in good condition. You may find that even if you played the game digitally, it would freeze as often as the physical version does. Some games are just poorly optimised or have other issues that cause them to freeze.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TC_217 said:

I suppose the next thing to check is to make sure the replacement you got is the same exact model that came and works with your PS3. I had to swap a new blu-ray drive into my PS3 back in 2019 and I ordered a replacement off of eBay and made sure I got the exact model I needed. It may be the case that you ordered the correct model number but they sent the incorrect one that is incompatible.

The replacement from ebay doesn't have a model number on it, but it looks just the same. They claim it is compatible with my model of ps3.

I keep reopening it and resetting the connections, and I'm not having any luck so far. Maybe I've messed something up inside the ps3, and will have to get another one if i want to play discs.

3 minutes ago, TC_217 said:

The replacement from ebay doesn't have a model number on it, but it looks just the same. They claim it is compatible with my model of ps3.

I keep reopening it and resetting the connections, and I'm not having any luck so far. Maybe I've messed something up inside the ps3, and will have to get another one if i want to play discs.

Did you remove the circuit board off of your original blu ray drive and put it on the replacement? It won't work otherwise

15 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Did you remove the circuit board off of your original blu ray drive and put it on the replacement? It won't work otherwise

I don't know. I installed the whole part that they sent me, and it sounded like it was trying to spin the disc, but failed. This is my first time opening a playstation

7 minutes ago, TC_217 said:

I don't know. I installed the whole part that they sent me, and it sounded like it was trying to spin the disc, but failed. This is my first time opening a playstation

You can't just install the new drive and it will work. The circuit board is unique to the playstation console. You have to take the circuit board off of your original drive and put it on the replacement, it will never work without it

1 minute ago, SnowxSakura said:

You can't just install the new drive and it will work. The circuit board is unique to the playstation console. You have to take the circuit board off of your original drive and put it on the replacement, it will never work without it

Ok, thanks. Seeing as even the original is not working at this point, I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble. I'm still resetting the connections to try and get it working 

2 minutes ago, TC_217 said:

Ok, thanks. Seeing as even the original is not working at this point, I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble. I'm still resetting the connections to try and get it working 

Did you use a guide to take it apart or just took it apart on your own?

8 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Make sure your ribbon cables are pushed all the way in, if they're not making a good connection, the drive won't receive power

Thanks, i will watch it. I keep rechecking the ribbon cables, still nothing. Very frustrating 

My older PS3 slim had a similar problem where it wasn't spinning and reading the discs properly. Ended up not bothering with it, and had got a second newer PS3 for self boosting and now for playing Disc based games. Works great that way as my older one with the failing disc drive still works great for all digital games and has the larger HDD of the two to boot.

If you can't seem to get it working for yourself, maybe check out getting a 2nd PS3 for cheap if you can.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 0:03 AM, agorazUHD said:

My older PS3 slim had a similar problem where it wasn't spinning and reading the discs properly. Ended up not bothering with it, and had got a second newer PS3 for self boosting and now for playing Disc based games. Works great that way as my older one with the failing disc drive still works great for all digital games and has the larger HDD of the two to boot.

If you can't seem to get it working for yourself, maybe check out getting a 2nd PS3 for cheap if you can.

Yea, that was it. I picked up another ps3 for a decent price and it reads the disc with no problems. I'll still try to get the other one working, otherwise it will be digital only.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 0:13 PM, SnowxSakura said:

You can use a small bit of adhesive to put that back onto the cable

I'd avoid adhesive, it can get messy especially if it gets in where the pads make contact. Also makes it difficult to repair if they choose to down the line. Buy a roll of kapton tape, it's suited for electronics and easier to handle.

it looks like the problem is not the blu ray drive at all.

for an example my ps3 can no longer read my copies of Sonic and Sega all Star Racing and Tekken 6 despite the game disc's are in a very good condition no damage on them at all, the moment I replaced the hard drive these games have stop working.

but when I put these games on a friend's ps3 they worked fine, although the sonic racing game also didn't works on some of my friend's ps3, when I did a search about that the results said some games in the ps3 era only works with a specific HDD... something like the Segate ones that usually comes with the ps3 as a standard when buying it brand new.

my ps3 used to have a Segate 160 GB HDD, then my game's library got bigger and I had to install a bigger size HDD so I went with a Toshiba 500 GB, the sonic racing game used to works if I deleted the patch and played it offline but now it just won't work at all, unlike the sonic racing game Tekken 6 overall just straight said Nope! the moment I replaced the hard drive.

2 hours ago, yellowwindow7 said:

it looks like the problem is not the blu ray drive at all.

for an example my ps3 can no longer read my copies of Sonic and Sega all Star Racing and Tekken 6 despite the game disc's are in a very good condition no damage on them at all, the moment I replaced the hard drive these games have stop working.

but when I put these games on a friend's ps3 they worked fine, although the sonic racing game also didn't works on some of my friend's ps3, when I did a search about that the results said some games in the ps3 era only works with a specific HDD... something like the Segate ones that usually comes with the ps3 as a standard when buying it brand new.

my ps3 used to have a Segate 160 GB HDD, then my game's library got bigger and I had to install a bigger size HDD so I went with a Toshiba 500 GB, the sonic racing game used to works if I deleted the patch and played it offline but now it just won't work at all, unlike the sonic racing game Tekken 6 overall just straight said Nope! the moment I replaced the hard drive.

The laser in your bluray drive is needing to be replaced if the discs can't be read, you can find new ones online for less than 10 dollars

3 hours ago, Null_Spectre said:

I'd avoid adhesive, it can get messy especially if it gets in where the pads make contact. Also makes it difficult to repair if they choose to down the line. Buy a roll of kapton tape, it's suited for electronics and easier to handle.

Never said you'd have to use glue, double sided tape works fine

18 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Never said you'd have to use glue, double sided tape works fine

A dab of hot glue works just fine as well. The little clip on the connector for the ribbon cables is extremely weak to begin with, but after extensive use it becomes brittle at the hinges from the heating and cooling down over the years.

4 minutes ago, Helyx said:

A dab of hot glue works just fine as well. The little clip on the connector for the ribbon cables is extremely weak to begin with, but after extensive use it becomes brittle at the hinges from the heating and cooling down over the years.

OP was talking about the blue transparent piece on the ribbon cable that helps with the thickness to secure in place on the connector. Those plastic hinges are garbage though, break way too easily

28 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

The laser in your bluray drive is needing to be replaced if the discs can't be read, you can find new ones online for less than 10 dollars

I did replaced the laser as well later on as its start to have reading problems years later, these two games still never worked to this day, I also forgot to point that every other game I have on discs works fine even before I replaced the optical drive too, the ps3 will do recognize SASASR and Tekken 6 but it's instantly shows an error code.