Ancient Gamer

LegendExeter

Welcome back to gaming!, just remember your never too old to game. I remember watching a few videos on YouTube that went viral one was an elderly women who collects and plays the Disgaea series whilst the other was a Japanese man Ryuji Urabe who used to be a Taxi driver. He plays racing games and the guy is 93! Your suspicion was correct, only the cool kids play on PS3 ^^ I didn't start as early as yourself but I've been around the block. Never had an Atari 2600 though that's a bit before my time, was that one of the first systems to have cartridges?

• Like 2

Yes it was, all we had was one button to work with.

I can't remember if the 2600 or the 5200 came first, yet I had Defender, Asteroids, Jr. Pac Man, just crazy stuff dude.

Pitfall was treacherous, don't know how anyone could beat that game.  Lode Runner, and Pole Position were pretty good.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 2:53 PM, gruffiiti said:

Welcome back Holmes! (from another 40+ gamer).

My first games I played were on a Vic20. And then a few years later I discovered how to use BBS on the 386 with the 2400baud modem my dad had bought for work.

Whenever my son whines about a game he is playing I tell him..."you haven't seen a real challenge until you've played...the TRAIL!!!"  Lol in reference to Oregon.  

Yeah man I remember early PC games like Psychotik and Risk that teachers used to play in high school.  I had a friend who had the IBM version of Wolfenstein...was so sick.   

Back in the day all we needed was a plumber and some shrooms!

Edited by LegendExeter

Hey man, I'm also new around here. I got back into gaming not long after the Nintendo Switch released as it seemed a convenient way to go about it, as I travel a lot for work. 

I also have been around for a long while in regards to playing and loving video games. My first system I believe was a commodore 64 which was given to me by my uncle, although all I remember about playing on that was some Winter Olympics type game and maybe Ms Pac-man (I was very young). I then moved onto a sega mega drive which I remember playing incredible games such as Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage & Sonic.

Over the years I've had many systems. Dreamcast and N64 stand out as personal favourites for me. Starfox, Mario, Zelda, Shenmue, man I could go on about amazing games from years past! I had a big hiatus from gaming not long after the PS3 & X360 generation hit full flow as I had my kids, focusing on family and work. But over the years it's my kids that have got me back into gaming. My two eldest are big achievement hunters on xbox. My son in particular has a preference for pretty tough games and I end up helping him with most of the tougher cheeves in his games. So I guess its only fitting that I end up here going for trophies now that I've bought myself a new home console. Always said to them that if I was to get another home console it'd be a PlayStation, so here I am.

Just wanted to say hello mate. Its good to see older lads/dad's like us out here bagging platinums and enjoying this fine hobby! See you around the forums!

• Like 2

I wouldn't call 42 years old ancient. You're sort of at the tail end of the average gaming demographic, you're in the same age group as James Rolfe and Mike Matei.

A good majority of gamers are over the age of 30, with the average being around 32 - 40 years of age if not a bit older.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, thepeaguy83 said:

I know of old age pensioners who like to play computer games. It's just a pastime. I don't consider 40+ ancient at all, really.

Yeah, there’s Skyrim Grandma (who’s still making YouTube videos too), for instance.

42-years-old is nothing, I wouldn’t even consider it middle-age. You’re just an average adult. ?

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 5:33 PM, KindaSabbath said:

Hey man, I'm also new around here. I got back into gaming not long after the Nintendo Switch released as it seemed a convenient way to go about it, as I travel a lot for work. 

I also have been around for a long while in regards to playing and loving video games. My first system I believe was a commodore 64 which was given to me by my uncle, although all I remember about playing on that was some Winter Olympics type game and maybe Ms Pac-man (I was very young). I then moved onto a sega mega drive which I remember playing incredible games such as Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage & Sonic.

Over the years I've had many systems. Dreamcast and N64 stand out as personal favourites for me. Starfox, Mario, Zelda, Shenmue, man I could go on about amazing games from years past! I had a big hiatus from gaming not long after the PS3 & X360 generation hit full flow as I had my kids, focusing on family and work. But over the years it's my kids that have got me back into gaming. My two eldest are big achievement hunters on xbox. My son in particular has a preference for pretty tough games and I end up helping him with most of the tougher cheeves in his games. So I guess its only fitting that I end up here going for trophies now that I've bought myself a new home console. Always said to them that if I was to get another home console it'd be a PlayStation, so here I am.

Just wanted to say hello mate. Its good to see older lads/dad's like us out here bagging platinums and enjoying this fine hobby! See you around the forums!

Thank you guvnah!

I never got to play the Dreamcast, or the TurboGraphx 16 for that matter.

I had my Sega Genesis before my SNES, and did I love that system.  Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Sonic, just mind blowing stuff at that time.  Then SNES came and Super Mario World was incredible.  Actraiser was always a game that should have been better.  Super Castlevania IV was my fave Castlevania, I don't know so many good games.  I liked watching people play Zelda, yet I didn't like playing it myself.

I know what you mean with the kids, I thought they were going to close the PS store so I challenged my son to get the platinum trophy for the game before they close the store and if so I would buy him $40 of downloadable content.  I ended up doing 3 odd trophies for him, and he did the rest ...we kind of adventured together and it was really fun for him.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, I'm exaggerating I'm not ancient, just not 16 playing Mortal Kombat II anymore.  Oh the memories...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2021 at 1:32 PM, LegendExeter said:

Hello,

My name is Patrick, I'm 42, a Single Father of current 8 YO Son, and an Accountant.

I have my MBA from Utica, NY which is close to Syracuse, I'm from Minnesota, yet have lived in Iowa and Colorado most of my life.

I imagine so many come here and say "I'm not really a trophy hunter..." then like 3 years and 200 plat's later ...."well maybe I am just a bit".

Originally I bought 3 PS3's for the house I bought in Iowa, and 2 are for the bedrooms, and 1 for the main room.  I bought them because I figured that hardcore gamers would have really good lasers inside the devices.  Therefore I literally bought them as DVD/Blu-Ray Players with little to no intent for gaming.

As my son got older though I thought why not try a few games, I got MK 9 for myself, and got him Gran Turismo 5, LBP 1, Dreamwork Kartz, and like some Lego game.  He liked LBP so we got the others, and then he found Minecraft and that is his main thing, he enjoys Fortnite and Roblox to.

I'm more of an old school gamer, just getting trophe's (TROFE's as I pronounce them) as he is gone this summer with his mother.  

So many gaming stories to tell, yet all before trofe's were here.  It was a different time back then, I played from Jr. Pac Man on Atari 2600, all the way to the golden years of PS2 with Final Fantasy XII being a stopping point, I quit gaming about 12 years ago and now I'm back.

Nice return. 
At 52, I’m having the time of my life. I started gaming 45 years ago. 
It just said Atari. No numbers on it. 
Please have fun. Game your way and enjoy yourself. Thanks again for sharing. 

• Like 1