Potential run-ending glitch to keep in mind

Something to be wary of for anyone playing this (imo) terrible game: it's entirely possible to have an entire run go to waste by playing it too safe.

Let me explain. Back when I played this in December 2020, I was following the site's guide/trophy roadmap and all was going pretty well, aside from some combat difficulties...but then I got to the endgame of the Joker "storyline", where you have to defuse 5 bombs across Blackgate before you can proceed to the final boss. That's all well and good, but the sorta-vague wording of the guide led me to believe that there would be a point of no return after the fifth bomb was defused (the actual point of no return is once you fast-travel to the lighthouse) so I decided to get all the collectibles and such across the prison while only defusing 4 of the bombs as I came across them in the process, leaving one in particular for last. So I get everything, pop the related trophies, and return to the room with the last bomb...and it's gone. Completely disappeared, not just invisible, and reloading the room/save/game doesn't work, so now the run is softlocked. At this point I'm just mad, but I do have PS+ and uploaded save data from about an hour earlier to the cloud, so not all is lost if I can just override my current data with that...but guess what? Unlike almost every other game on PS3 and PS4, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate only lets you manually interact with cloud data once every 24 hours, and that includes uploading or downloading - once you do one or the other, you're completely locked out of accessing it until the next day for no conceivable reason I can think of. So finally, I realize my only option is to just wait until tomorrow to override the save, so I quit the game, turn off its auto-upload feature, and turn off my PS3...only for it to then TURN BACK ON and override the PS+ data with the glitched save data, meaning that now my file is PERMANENTLY corrupted and I have to start a whole new game from scratch. All because of an absolutely ludicrous and idiotic data-preservation choice compounding what I would've otherwise considered a normal, if annoying, software glitch.

So yeah, moral of the story is: complete the 5 requirements before you do any collectible hunting at the end of a run to avoid the glitch, and don't rely on PS+ to save you if you screw up or get screwed over by the game. Or just don't play this at all and save yourself a lot of headache.

• Like 4