Toxic Troll in Messaging

14 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Yeah it seems like most people make use of the report feature, but personally I find it petty. I’ve always been a “snitches get stitches” type of person lol. I really don’t like the idea of some twat reporting me in our private messages just because I said something he didn’t like or because he wants revenge. For this very reason I try to be careful with the language I use when talking or bickering with randoms on PSN… you never know when one of these trolls is going to report something you said and try to get you banned.

It’s true - if you’re going to report folks, your own messages have to be above reproach.

44 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

(...) most people make use of the report feature, but personally I find it petty. I’ve always been a “snitches get stitches” type of person (...)

Ain't no stitches on me.

I'm a fair player and do my best to be a good teammate.

If people have no internet etiquette I'm not gonna get dragged to their level.

Reporting is the correct thing to do. If some unknown is aggroing me, that isn't a private conversation, it's just someone acting like a fool, and they're gonna reap what they sow.

• Like 2

Was kind of funny getting death threats from random angry people in PSN MMOs, but that's all stopped because of burner accounts sending scams. Had to block all messages from non-friends once that crap started up.

• Like 1

When Fall Guys first came out, my friend's play style was known as "A Grabber," amazingly they only got one troll, and I'm gonna write it all down:

Umm content warning because I don't know if this troll said anything abhorrent in Norwegian, soooo bare that in mind if you fancy a read. Also skin diseases.

(the first line I put in google translate, the other messages were in English)

Spoiler

you sh*t stupid dirty kid, i hope you get scabies

f*** u

spd mthfukr

ashle

spam

spam

spam

fuk yu

spd ashole

mothrfkr

never grab me again in this f***ing game

i died bcz of u

nd im not happy with this

wie xxa

Back in the day when I played Runescape and World of Warcraft I ran into a lot of elitists. Particularly griefers and rage quitters. World of Warcraft was the game that taught me what a rage quitter is. 

Runescape was always a ‘do it yourself’ MMO, while there was stuff like the God Wars Dungeon that was designed around co-op it wasn’t required. World of Warcraft in contrast was designed with the intention of playing with a team. I was in guilds that would go on raids and dungeons, so communication was top priority. 

Over the years I watched the game get gradually worse. When Cataclysm came out Blizzard brought in the LFD (look for dungeon) that automatically put you in a queue with a PUG. Because communication wasn’t as necessary anymore I had a lot of bad players. They would aggro too many enemies, the team would wipe and people would leave the session. It got to the point where I was absolutely sick of it, and around 2012 I decided to leave Warcraft behind for good. 

Nowadays I typically don’t bother playing online games anymore. Generally the messages I get are from people wanting to boost trophies with me. I get the occasional message regarding other stuff but it’s mostly about trophies. 

I had a bad player harass me and many others when I boosted Red Dead Redemption, whom I respectfully blocked. Some players received suspensions from Sony because of crude insulting towards this guy. 

If you guys have anything bad to say on a player you didn’t like, don’t do it. Getting a warning or suspension from Sony isn’t worth the trouble.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2021 at 8:20 PM, enaysoft said:

I once get a message on PS3 where this guy said he was going to come around to my house and kill me.

All I did was beat him at Tekken 6 during an online match, I did win quite comfortably but he also won a round too.

Just ignore trolls, if they don't think you've even seen the message, they will soon go away.

First online games I ever played were Guitar Hero 3, and Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection Online. Played literally nothing else for like a year or two, and the differences between the 2 communities were incredible. Tekken players really can take the cake. That community is why I haven't played online for over 10 years (not counting the occasional boosting session). I can talk some shit with the best of them, but a lot of those people were just plain evil.

2 hours ago, Jelly Soup said:

Was kind of funny getting death threats from random angry people in PSN MMOs, but that's all stopped because of burner accounts sending scams. Had to block all messages from non-friends once that crap started up.

Yeah, I started getting spam/scam messages from blank accounts, sometimes the instant I would come online, as of a few years ago now. I've had my messages restricted to friends since then, same on Xbox (also got a few on there). Not like I really play online games any more anyway.

2 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Back in the day when I played Runescape and World of Warcraft I ran into a lot of elitists. Particularly griefers and rage quitters. World of Warcraft was the game that taught me what a rage quitter is. 

Runescape was always a ‘do it yourself’ MMO, while there was stuff like the God Wars Dungeon that was designed around co-op it wasn’t required. World of Warcraft in contrast was designed with the intention of playing with a team. I was in guilds that would go on raids and dungeons, so communication was top priority. 

Over the years I watched the game get gradually worse. When Cataclysm came out Blizzard brought in the LFD (look for dungeon) that automatically put you in a queue with a PUG. Because communication wasn’t as necessary anymore I had a lot of bad players. They would aggro too many enemies, the team would wipe and people would leave the session. It got to the point where I was absolutely sick of it, and around 2012 I decided to leave Warcraft behind for good. 

Nowadays I typically don’t bother playing online games anymore. Generally the messages I get are from people wanting to boost trophies with me. I get the occasional message regarding other stuff but it’s mostly about trophies. 

I had a bad player harass me and many others when I boosted Red Dead Redemption, whom I respectfully blocked. Some players received suspensions from Sony because of crude insulting towards this guy. 

If you guys have anything bad to say on a player you didn’t like, don’t do it. Getting a warning or suspension from Sony isn’t worth the trouble.

You mentioning Runescape reminded me of this one especially hilarious incident I had once, when I used to play that game over a decade ago now. I remember I leant out my dragon hatchet (I think, it's been a long time) to someone for a fee, standard thing I would do to get a bit of extra in-game cash since I didn't use it much. The guy immediately returned it accidentally, and then started accusing me of scamming him, following my character around, constantly pestering me to give his money back and threatening to report me, for about 20 or so minutes until he finally gave up. I would have been willing to refund him if he was polite and just owned up to his mistake, but he was immediately hostile so I just couldn't be bothered. Not my problem that he screwed up. There were tons of other assholes I encountered in my years playing that game, but that one has always stuck out to me just because of how insistent and accusatory he was.

Cataclysm was also the final straw for me with WoW. Had so many bad encounters with people after that, people/tanks that would run off while the healer was somewhere else/not ready, resulting in everyone dying, people standing in fire/AoE damage despite being told they're doing so multiple times, people randomly leaving, etc.

MMOs are just too big of a time sink for too little enjoyment for me to care much about any more anyway. I tried FF14 a few years ago, and can't say I enjoyed it all that much. Not to mention I actually wanted to watch the cutscenes during multi-person dungeons/raids, and of course as soon as the cutscene would end, I would discover everyone else had already run off without me, since they skipped the cutscenes (probably already seen them a million times, so can't blame them), which also hampered my enjoyment. Probably would have been more fun if I had a group of people I knew also new to the game to play with, but nothing like that ever worked out sadly.

The online Tekken community just sucks, some of the rudest people I ever come across, eventually I just stopped playing. Maybe I am bit too sensitive, but I had enough of the fact that instead of a friendly person my opponent may have been someone hating and shitting on me because of a videogame, this used to affect my performance and it's a shame because I absolutely loved playing Tekken.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

You mentioning Runescape reminded me of this one especially hilarious incident I had once, when I used to play that game over a decade ago now. I remember I leant out my dragon hatchet (I think, it's been a long time) to someone for a fee, standard thing I would do to get a bit of extra in-game cash since I didn't use it much. The guy immediately returned it accidentally, and then started accusing me of scamming him, following my character around, constantly pestering me to give his money back and threatening to report me, for about 20 or so minutes until he finally gave up. I would have been willing to refund him if he was polite and just owned up to his mistake, but he was immediately hostile so I just couldn't be bothered. Not my problem that he screwed up. There were tons of other assholes I encountered in my years playing that game, but that one has always stuck out to me just because of how insistent and accusatory he was.

My history with Runescape goes back to a long time ago. I have some great memories playing with friends back in 2002 - 2004, when I was an impressionable teenager who was a geek. 

It was a pioneer in having an Ignore List, probably not the first game to have it, but it wasn’t common back then. Runescape had a lot of kids in general who were all around my age group. Several people at my highschool played, and the game was basically a way for us to communicate. 

Nowadays, Runescape ain’t worth shit to me anymore. So much is different, and it's just boring to play now when practically nobody is talking.

I have a bunch of stories involving bad players, but I don’t want to derail this thread more than I have already. 

Cataclysm was also the final straw for me with WoW. Had so many bad encounters with people after that, people/tanks that would run off while the healer was somewhere else/not ready, resulting in everyone dying, people standing in fire/AoE damage despite being told they're doing so multiple times, people randomly leaving, etc.

It was the same for me. If you were a DPS like the Mage, Warlock or Hunter, you would sometimes wait for ages to find a PUG. When I finally got into a PUG, they would generally wipe out half the time. Very annoying, since a lot of people just wanted to get the Justice Points for completing the dungeon and leave. 

WoW, like Runescape, ain’t worth shit anymore either. Absolutely ludicrous they make you pay for a subscription in 2021. The MMO model is obsolete. 

MMOs are just too big of a time sink for too little enjoyment for me to care much about any more anyway. I tried FF14 a few years ago, and can't say I enjoyed it all that much. Not to mention I actually wanted to watch the cutscenes during multi-person dungeons/raids, and of course as soon as the cutscene would end, I would discover everyone else had already run off without me, since they skipped the cutscenes (probably already seen them a million times, so can't blame them), which also hampered my enjoyment. Probably would have been more fun if I had a group of people I knew also new to the game to play with, but nothing like that ever worked out sadly.

Same. Old School Runescape was ruined by the fact that the kids I once played with were all in their 20s who knew everything. The focus became efficiency rather than enjoyment. The same kind of people plagued the game in the same vein people ruined your enjoyment of FF14. 

I noticed nowadays in general, people try to rush thru every game instead of trying to enjoy it for what it is. That’s why I generally hate boosting trophies, because it basically becomes a job for you to make sure your group is doing what they’re told to do. 

To a greater extent, rushing thru shit is part of the culture we live in now.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, IntroPhenom said:

'Trolls' is an inadequate descriptor of these people, since some of them undoubtedly pride themselves on being labeled something with a menacing sounding name.  I say we switch over to 'Cupcakes'.  People who bully and threaten probably wouldn't hold their chin high on a moniker like 'Cupcake'.  

You’re close. The term is actually “Cakesniffer.” (Lemony Snicket’s ASOUE)

• Like 1

I dislike receiving angry messages as much as the next guy, although I also think there's a certain joy in finding the most low-effort triggering comeback. "Found the incel" is my go-to choice at the moment.

5 hours ago, KenjiCBZ said:

The online Tekken community just sucks, some of the rudest people I ever come across, eventually I just stopped playing. Maybe I am bit too sensitive, but I had enough of the fact that instead of a friendly person my opponent may have been someone hating and shitting on me because of a videogame, this used to affect my performance and it's a shame because I absolutely loved playing Tekken.

Agreed. To be fair, I've probably had more matches on Tekken 7 which end with a "gg" message - even from the cheap and spammy players, whether they win or lose. But it only took a few "ur trash git gud" messages to put me off the game completely. It's not because I care so much about the messages themselves. It just gave me a silly "must win at all costs" mentality for every single match that, like yourself, affected my performance. I ended up playing the game as if I was fighting a troll every time, and where's the fun in that?

12 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It’s true - if you’re going to report folks, your own messages have to be above reproach.

This exactly, Sony are notoriously inconsistent with how they police their policies.

I once got several messages back to back from someone that were purely bile & insults to which I replied the only message I said in the entire chat between us which was haha OK idiot. I then reported the guy. Sony banned him, but I also recieved a 3 day temp ban which Sony refused to back down on citing it as insulting behaviour.

On the flip side, in the past I've seen multiple inappropriate names ImaTallyBan, pAnalR4pe are the 2 prominent examples I remember yet when reported Sony decided they weren't breaching any rules.

So if you are going to engage with trolls, be very careful what you say.

• Like 1

I don’t particularly mind getting salty messages. If someone got that wound up that they chose to message me, I find it pretty hilarious.

I’m friendly, and try to help anyone who needs it.

I never really got any negative messages until the last few years. 

Mainly while playing Dead by Daylight. People take the game way too seriously, and I get a lot of messages when I win.

I don’t rise to it, let them violate the Terms of Service, I won’t be the one getting a suspension.

The best I had was some guy who accused me of cheating, because I used a perk that allowed me to see where he was for a few seconds after hooking another player. So naturally he thought I was cheating when I went straight over to the locker I saw him hide in.

He spent about an hour calling me a cheater, before I told him to read up on the perk.

The next day I awoke to a barrage of hate speech messages. Just message after message of slurs based around race, gender, sexuality, disability… literally anything you can discriminate against, this guy sent a slur about it.

I reported him, and then heard nothing for months. Before he messaged be threatening to kill me because he got a timed suspension.

I told him that’s his fault and that he should chill out… and he lost his cool again and sent a ton more abuse.. which I reported..

These days he occasionally stalks my live streams. Telling people not to watch my stream because I get people permanently banned..

I feel quite honoured to be living in this guys head rent free. I also love it when he begins commenting on my streams, because if draws in more viewers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KenjiCBZ said:

I have to disagree. There are some bad apples, I've been called a nazi when I was playing on a German account. Some generic shit messages too. There was a guy who tried to trash talk during loading screen after rematching to, presumably, make me play worse. I was called a shitty launcher spammer or something along those lines for launch punishing snake edges, which was quite funny actually. Sounds bad but the majority of messages are just ggs, sometimes escalating into a short chat. That's based on my experience in quick match, eu region. As I don't play ranked, I can't compare, but I would assume it's more toxic because of its more competitive nature. It obviously varies from person to person, different regions and levels of play could also impact the amount of crap you read, but in my opinion most Tekken people are quite friendly. Especially compared to stuff people have already posted in this thread

And even the bad stuff, it's mostly amusing. I mean, when someone is crapping on you for lagging, when he's playing on wifi and from IT, known for bad connections... How to even take that seriously? 

Used to get daily hate mail (most were threats or “I’m coming over to rape your mom”) back in the COD days (2009). 
thankfully I realized the friends only messaging feature because between the hate mail and bots trying to sell you nudes I was getting tired of daily messages lol.

My side accounts sometimes still get the bot messages which is annoying.

42 minutes ago, the1andonly654 said:

I have to disagree. There are some bad apples, I've been called a nazi when I was playing on a German account. Some generic shit messages too. There was a guy who tried to trash talk during loading screen after rematching to, presumably, make me play worse. I was called a shitty launcher spammer or something along those lines for launch punishing snake edges, which was quite funny actually. Sounds bad but the majority of messages are just ggs, sometimes escalating into a short chat. That's based on my experience in quick match, eu region. As I don't play ranked, I can't compare, but I would assume it's more toxic because of its more competitive nature. It obviously varies from person to person, different regions and levels of play could also impact the amount of crap you read, but in my opinion most Tekken people are quite friendly. Especially compared to stuff people have already posted in this thread

And even the bad stuff, it's mostly amusing. I mean, when someone is crapping on you for lagging, when he's playing on wifi and from IT, known for bad connections... How to even take that seriously? 

Hey, as an Italian I feel accused ? Hahahah

Seriously, it's true, it varies from person to person, unfortunately to me it was mostly hate messages. I did make some friends while playing Tekken online, but this was an exception, most of the times it was hate messages. I remember someone saying I was spamming because he was whiffing all the time and I launched him with Shaheen's df2, or someone insulting me on his live stream chat after he had defeated me just once saying that I had lost and I had no right to talk ? (I had congratulated him on the win and I wanted to book some future player matches with him).

Man, talking about such things make me feel even happier that I left all of this behind.

19 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

Hey, as an Italian I feel accused 1f62d.png Hahahah

Seriously, it's true, it varies from person to person, unfortunately to me it was mostly hate messages. I did make some friends while playing Tekken online, but this was an exception, most of the times it was hate messages. I remember someone saying I was spamming because he was whiffing all the time and I launched him with Shaheen's df2, or someone insulting me on his live stream chat after he had defeated me just once saying that I had lost and I had no right to talk 1f644.png (I had congratulated him on the win and I wanted to book some future player matches with him).

Man, talking about such things make me feel even happier that I left all of this behind.

Haha, don't worry, ES is the same way ? no offense of course. I've read somewhere it's because the traffic is routed in some weird way and that's why connections between Italy and the rest of EU are poor, no idea how true is that though. But in season 4 it's gotten better, definitely playable. 

The best you can do is not to take hate mail seriously. It's just some random guy trying to vent his frustrations. Tekken is infuriating at times after all ? such a great and rewarding game though. There's always the option of setting your messages to friends only. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

My history with Runescape goes back to a long time ago. I have some great memories playing with friends back in 2002 - 2004, when I was an impressionable teenager who was a geek. 

It was a pioneer in having an Ignore List, probably not the first game to have it, but it wasn’t common back then. Runescape had a lot of kids in general who were all around my age group. Several people at my highschool played, and the game was basically a way for us to communicate. 

Nowadays, Runescape ain’t worth shit to me anymore. So much is different, and it's just boring to play now when practically nobody is talking.

I have a bunch of stories involving bad players, but I don’t want to derail this thread more than I have already. 

It was the same for me. If you were a DPS like the Mage, Warlock or Hunter, you would sometimes wait for ages to find a PUG. When I finally got into a PUG, they would generally wipe out half the time. Very annoying, since a lot of people just wanted to get the Justice Points for completing the dungeon and leave. 

WoW, like Runescape, ain’t worth shit anymore either. Absolutely ludicrous they make you pay for a subscription in 2021. The MMO model is obsolete. 

Same. Old School Runescape was ruined by the fact that the kids I once played with were all in their 20s who knew everything. The focus became efficiency rather than enjoyment. The same kind of people plagued the game in the same vein people ruined your enjoyment of FF14. 

I noticed nowadays in general, people try to rush thru every game instead of trying to enjoy it for what it is. That’s why I generally hate boosting trophies, because it basically becomes a job for you to make sure your group is doing what they’re told to do. 

To a greater extent, rushing thru shit is part of the culture we live in now.

I came across RuneScape while browsing the Steam store a while ago. I remember when it used to be a browser game that run on Java, and it just looks completely unrecognisable to me now. Never thought it'd end up on Steam either.

The subscriptions for MMOs is one of the things that makes them unappealing to me nowadays as well. I don't want to pay a monthly subscription for something I may only play a few times a month while also playing single player games, it just feels like a money sink at that point, if it isn't basically the focus of all my gaming attention, which I just know no MMO would be for me any more.

I remember playing through some of Borderlands 2 (on Xbox 360) with someone years ago, and they would constantly run past mobs of enemies, often resulting in one or both of us dying. When I pointed out it may not be such a great idea to be trying to rush every area, he just told me "I just wanna get through the game, not do all this side quest BS". We stopped playing together soon after that, since we both had very different methods of playing the game. I enjoy doing side quests in Borderlands, he didn't, and didn't even seem to particularly like the game since he didn't pay attention to cutscenes or dialogue either, and just seemed to be in a hurry to complete it ASAP, side quests, story or achievements be damned. I'm still baffled to this day why he even bothered to play it.

I've met plenty of other people that seem to play games like that since then, and if that's how you enjoy something, then you do you, especially if it's just single player anyway, but it's irritating when playing a game with someone like that, when they make no indication that's how they intend to play the game beforehand, they just go off and do their own thing once you do start playing. One of the several reasons I generally don't bother with multiplayer or co-op games any more, not unless I'm playing with a close friend since there's rarely communication issues then.

When I was playing WWE 2K19 online I was fighting a guy who had his mic in and he talked mega trash the whole match about how I was awful and that there was no way I was going to beat him because he was a Hall of Famer and I was a Rookie. Suffice to say I actually did end up beating him and to say he was salty is an understatement. I sent him a screenshot of me as the winner and everything lol

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dark_Overlord said:

See this irks me slightly, if you go by the 'narrative' then it's disproportionately against women.  If you go by the actual stats then it's roughly 50/50 of all rapes occur against men and women.  Men just refuse to admit it more due to shame.

✌️not all men✌️