Toxic Troll in Messaging

9 hours ago, ObsceneSociopath said:

This exactly. Where I live, back in 2017 someone broke into a woman's home, threatened her with a knife & then violated her with an object at knife point. The police & the victim tried to proceed with rape charges but the court denied that charge citing it as sexual assault, the exact sentence he got ended up being 10 years for aggravated sexual assault which was ridiculous at the time.

The UK government had the option to amend this definition a year or 2 ago and refused ?

On 8/5/2021 at 11:25 AM, ARIXANDRE said:

Just set your privacy to "messages only from friends" .

Never engage with a troll again.

About the only reason i don't do this, is if i get people messaging for help for online trophies, because otherwise i get random friend requests instead and i never accept FR's unless i've been messaging that person first.

On 8/5/2021 at 11:36 AM, ObsceneSociopath said:

On the flip side, in the past I've seen multiple inappropriate names ImaTallyBan, pAnalR4pe are the 2 prominent examples I remember yet when reported Sony decided they weren't breaching any rules.

Granted there are quite a few with names like this where you can tell they're trolls from the off, but did anyone read about that poor bloke who got banned on PSN for having the name 'Kike'?

It's a negatively used word used against Jewish people, but it turns out that wasn't the reason for the name. Kike is also an affectionate nickname (or shortened from Enrique) in Spain, and that was what his friends called him. So he thought nothing of it, and had it as his username for ages. All of a sudden, PSN took a funny with it and told him that he was using it for harassment purposes. Poor guy got banned for a nickname that's perfectly acceptable, and i don't think PSN take that sort of thing into account.

On 8/6/2021 at 0:04 PM, Ancestral_Spirit said:

About the only reason i don't do this, is if i get people messaging for help for online trophies, because otherwise i get random friend requests instead and i never accept FR's unless i've been messaging that person first.

Granted there are quite a few with names like this where you can tell they're trolls from the off, but did anyone read about that poor bloke who got banned on PSN for having the name 'Kike'?

It's a negatively used word used against Jewish people, but it turns out that wasn't the reason for the name. Kike is also an affectionate nickname (or shortened from Enrique) in Spain, and that was what his friends called him. So he thought nothing of it, and had it as his username for ages. All of a sudden, PSN took a funny with it and told him that he was using it for harassment purposes. Poor guy got banned for a nickname that's perfectly acceptable, and i don't think PSN take that sort of thing into account.

PSN doesn't seem to take much into account when it comes to automated bans. I can't find the story offhand, but there was a Japanese (I believe) player who was autobanned for saying the n-word, when he actually said a different word in Japanese with a completely different meaning, but sounds similar. JP PSN rep understood the difference but just shrugged.

Edited by Jelly Soup
Was being direct with the word in question, but it's censored here. Which is reasonable.

1 hour ago, Jelly Soup said:

PSN doesn't seem to take much into account when it comes to automated bans. I can't find the story offhand, but there was a Japanese (I believe) player who was autobanned for saying the n-word, when he actually said a different word in Japanese with a completely different meaning, but sounds similar. JP PSN rep understood the difference but just shrugged.

I'm going to guess it was the word 'Nigero' which translates to 'Run Away'.

That's pretty shitty of them to ban him for a word that one would probably use quite often during a lot of play sessions  :/

Edited by Ancestral_Spirit
Spelt a word incorrectly
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

I'm going to guess it was the word 'Nigeru' which translates to 'Run Away'.

That was it, thanks:

Edit: Should add that this thread says it was a ban specifically from the game by EA, but it was later confirmed that it also later resulted in a PSN ban.

Edited by Jelly Soup
  • Like 1

Nigero? Oh God..... he didn't even say the N-word, what if someone lives in Niger, i mean, the African nation? xD this is far worse than the SWTOR ban to a guy who used the olf "i am 12 and what is this" meme, he was banned permanently because EA thought he was really underage.

https://kotaku.com/bioware-bans-old-republic-player-for-using-internet-mem-5878669#

Edited by Lance_87

6 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Nigero? Oh God..... he didn't even say the N-word, what if someone lives in Niger, i mean, the African nation? xD

Screw you apparently, Sony will ban you if you come from there  xD

59 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

That was it, thanks:

Edit: Should add that this thread says it was a ban specifically from the game by EA, but it was later confirmed that it also later resulted in a PSN ban.

As much as i hate the idea of using something to your advantage like this, i'd be pulling out the 'muh racism' card at that point.

I mean, if Sony and EA can go on about making these things safe for all people, but then ban someone for using their own native language, i think that person might have a case.

Context is everything in these sort of situations, and for someone to get banned for literally saying 'run away' is disgusting on EA and Sony's part  :/

I'm still waiting for someone to get banned for using the word 'kek' which is apparently now a far right nazi term (somehow). It's actually used by Koreans, it's their version of lol, which i used to see a lot of in the halcyon days of Starcraft MP. 

Edited by Ancestral_Spirit
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Nigero? Oh God..... he didn't even say the N-word, what if someone lives in Niger, i mean, the African nation? xD 

https://kotaku.com/bioware-bans-old-republic-player-for-using-internet-mem-5878669#

56 minutes ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

I'm still waiting for someone to get banned for using the word 'kek' which is apparently now a far right nazi term (somehow).

Both of these things have happened in the past. Trawl through the archives of r/psn and r/ps4, you're find lots over the last decade. There were a few cases in the last couple years of a user being banned for having the name Kike (read: kee-kay), a common nickname for people named Enrique (his real name) in Mexico. There was another guy who was banned for saying/having the username Jihad, when it was his first name and a common among PSN users in Saudi Arabia.

Edited by Jelly Soup

There was a popular thread here a few years back where a kid was permanently banned EIGHT YEARS after he made his PSN account because the Sony morons thought the name was offensive. 

A guy I know from Ohio was suspended for mentioning ‘Jew Tube’, Sony felt he was being racist to Jews. He quit playing on Playstation and sold all his stuff after that. 

This is the level of bullshit going on today. 

You only have to blurt out half the jokes George Carlin and Richard Pryor said in their heyday on their old comedy shows for some idiot today to get deeply offended.

Yet we got hack comedians who can get away with extremely rude comments regarding ones fat obesity or ones crippled condition without being heavily criticized. 

There is a big difference between what’s blatantly offensive, and just cherry picking anything you feel is slightly offensive.

Being offended by everything is what’s ruining this world. The stuff that is blatant, take action against it. But don’t punish people because they have Jihad for their username. That is beyond stupid.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
"kike" IS offensive. Don't bring that here.
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

There was a popular thread here a few years back where a kid was permanently banned EIGHT YEARS after he made his PSN account because the Sony morons thought the name was offensive. 

A guy I know from Ohio was suspended for mentioning ‘Jew Tube’, Sony felt he was being racist to Jews. He quit playing on Playstation and sold all his stuff after that. 

This is the level of bullshit going on today. 

You only have to blurt out half the jokes George Carlin and Richard Pryor said in their heyday on their old comedy shows for some idiot today to get deeply offended.

Yet we got hack comedians who can get away with extremely rude comments regarding ones fat obesity or ones crippled condition without being heavily criticized. 

There is a big difference between what’s blatantly offensive, and just cherry picking anything you feel is slightly offensive.

Being offended by everything is what’s ruining this world. The stuff that is blatant, take action against it. But don’t punish people because they have Kike for their username, or Jihad. That is beyond stupid.

There's double standards when it comes to political correctness. When was the last time did you see someone ever rush to the defense of red necks because they're impoverished?

There's also the fact that what's not offensive one day changes the next day and is now offensive. So things are then declared retroactively offensive and people are punished for them despite them not being considered offensive at the time.

Personally people look for stuff to be offended about because it gives them attention. It's like the Boy who Cried Wolf, but he changes the animal every other day so people don't catch on.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

There's double standards when it comes to political correctness. When was the last time did you see someone ever rush to the defense of red necks because they're impoverished?

I don't know. The double standards are commonplace, especially here in the United States. Unfortunately they have spawned elsewhere, such as Europe and Canada.

45 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

There's also the fact that what's not offensive one day changes the next day and is now offensive. So things are then declared retroactively offensive and people are punished for them despite them not being considered offensive at the time.

According to the thread the kids account was made in 2010. He was banned in 2018, eight years later. This was right before Sony added the Name Change feature. Truly bad timing.

46 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Personally people look for stuff to be offended about because it gives them attention. It's like the Boy who Cried Wolf, but he changes the animal every other day so people don't catch on.

The popular term is SJW (social justice warrior). I know, it gets overused these days, but that's what a lot of them do.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Snip

I only wanted to mention the quote you made when editing, where you've said that ''Kike' IS offensive. Don't bring that here'

So i'm afraid i really DO have to bring that here, since Sony seem to now believe that English is the only language that matters.

The word 'Gordo' is one that i came across that i found to be pretty damn rude, until i found out that it can actually be used as an affectionate word or nickname for someone, even though the word literally means 'fat'.

A word that could be taken offensively in one language, may not be for another.

I mean if you think that nickname is offensive, i'd love to see how you react to the Spanish describing something as black  xD 

The "Kike/Enrique" guy was literally in the news worldwide years ago, not sure why it should be censored here. I was even subscribed to one of the two Italian sources mentioned in the Reddit post and i absolutely remember that article.

EDIT: oh and btw, he DID keep the promise and eventually changed the name to something else after Username Change was introduced on PSN. PSNProfiles doesn't report the new name "for privacy reasons", but other trophy-tracking sites to it without issues.

Edited by Lance_87

21 minutes ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

I only wanted to mention the quote you made when editing, where you've said that ''Kike' IS offensive. Don't bring that here'

So i'm afraid i really DO have to bring that here, since Sony seem to now believe that English is the only language that matters.

The word 'Gordo' is one that i came across that i found to be pretty damn rude, until i found out that it can actually be used as an affectionate word or nickname for someone, even though the word literally means 'fat'.

I mean if you think that nickname is offensive, i'd love to see how you react to the Spanish describing something as black  xD 

I'm pretty sure this is a shining example on why customer services are usually all awful.

They don't usually have reps who are aware of anything outside of their own personal circle. It's not a job usually given to people who are that involved with the company they're representing. So they're not going to know the ins and outs of anything that the company provides. They're usually minimum wage positions and will just read off the paper that's given to them by their higher ups.

So the only people who can help you are ignorant and even getting manager won't help you either. It's why many hate dealing with things like general tech support.

The people who know how these systems work and how things are set up, they're usually the ones who are the designing the hardware, software, or networks. It's why some companies can charge a premium for actual and real tech support when something goes wrong.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

8 hours ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

My problem is when people get offended by everything. I’ve dealt with such individuals who feel that something needs to be severely punished because it is only remotely offensive. 

That is what’s ruining this world. That is why governments can’t just agree to disagree and move on from their differences. They’re just making everything worse. 

The young people of today are just adopting that behavior and feel it is okay. Should I blame them entirely? No. But a lot of them don’t know any better. So they switch things around and suddenly a name that was perfectly fine in the past is now deemed offensive. 

• Like 2

On 8/10/2021 at 4:27 PM, AJ_Radio said:

My problem is when people get offended by everything. I’ve dealt with such individuals who feel that something needs to be severely punished because it is only remotely offensive. 

That is what’s ruining this world. That is why governments can’t just agree to disagree and move on from their differences. They’re just making everything worse. 

The young people of today are just adopting that behavior and feel it is okay. Should I blame them entirely? No. But a lot of them don’t know any better. So they switch things around and suddenly a name that was perfectly fine in the past is now deemed offensive. 

What's interesting about this is you were, before editing, the only one participating in this thread who said anything about it being offensive. I think you'll fine that most of the PSNProfles forums, and PlaystationTrophies forums too, aren't going to get up in arms about sensitive nomenclature unless you're really trying to be a dick/offensive. I like that this particular forum will allow users to say stuff like that that or otherwise make reasonably benign political statement. Provided you're not being a confrontational asshole about it.

This isn't intended to be a callout or challenge, btw. It's an interesting discussion point and worth putting the time into.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

Personally i think the idea of cancel culture is a pretty big issue as it stands right now.

By all means, call someone out if they're being an asshole, or if they appear to be deliberately trying to cause misery to others, but i don't think that the mere mention of certain words, terms or even name calling, should be the cause for essentially ruining a persons life, career or personal relationships.

I've seen far too many cases as of late, where something that someone said years ago is now cause for offence and subsequent 'un-personing'.

Again, by all means call them out on it, but for someone to be banned from places, shunned by society at large, lose their job etc. is a step way too far for for something someone said. You don't even have to physically cause harm to someone, or even call for harm to come to someone now in order for you to be thrown in jail in certain places (i'm looking at you Scotland).

Comedians are having a hard time with these sorts of things too, and a lot of them are finding it hard to get a gig without being harassed themselves, having threats of physical violence made against them or even ACTUALLY physically harmed. Not for things they've done to people, but for things they've said. You can say terrible things without ever meaning what you say, and pushing that boundary of what is socially acceptable is how a lot of comedians make their careers, which is now becoming increasingly difficult when saying ANYTHING that offends ANYONE can be cause for you to lose literally everything.

Call me thick skinned if you please, but i think free speech, no matter how offensive it may be, should still be allowed. Regardless of your political leanings be they right, left or somewhere in between, you should still have the right to say what you think. Whether people listen to you or not is down to them, but no one should be punished for saying things, or listening to them. That goes double for social media, where if you don't wanna hear what someone has to say, that block button is always available, hell i've used it on this site a couple of times  xD 

It takes a lot for me to block somebody. Generally it’s people who have taken a stab on several occasions. I have not once blocked someone on one occurrence. 

A while back I was harassed on Discord over a personal server that I’d rather not mention. I was with a group of 14 - 20 year old kids. I know this because they told me of their livelihood. Anyway, after giving them some fatherly advice for being an “older figure”, they insulted me and put me on block. I made no cursing or defamatory remarks. 

Going to such extremes isn’t a good thing. I knew these kids were socially isolated. But with that kind of attitude, they will not get far in life. 

I honestly feel this is the first generation to have grown up mostly on the internet. I was bullied throughout elementary school and middle school. But my peers didn’t have the internet readily available. I shudder to think what it must be like now with the internet and social media.

It is tragic to hear of a 14 year old kid having extremely low esteem because they were bullied online. What’s worse is these bullies are anonymous. They will try to punish anyone who doesn’t agree with them, and this is especially damaging to a minor. 

Sadly, this attitude stems well into adulthood. Comedians, as you said, are having a hard time performing their act when they are harassed for using “crude behavior”. If George Carlin only came out today, he would be harassed and punished. 

Punishing everything is where I get legitimately pissed off. I have gone after censorship groups and people who feel the need to punish anything they feel is remotely offensive. It’s one of the big reasons why I think the West is failing, and why I can no longer ignore the extreme sensitivity sweeping across Western culture.

Bullies suck, a long time ago, I was bullied a lot by a site called Freezecracker.com and its owner Geoff Mendicino is a complete and utter dochebag. Next to him is Amir Mousaly aka SaitoKojima, he was an internet tough guy who mocked and bullied me and others to no end. Later GameFaqs made me one of its victims with its toxic trolls and corrupted moderators.

But over time, I grew into a more mature person and grew thick skin to block the trolls and not let them get to me.

I can understand OP's frustration with cyber bullies and trolls. Trust me, I have been there. But thanks to my family and friends I made in PSNP and Discord, I became a better man. Therapy also helped me a lot.

The point is, you shouldn't let trolls get to you. Just ignore them and eventually, they'll leave you alone.

• Like 3

GameFAQs boards suck lol, i still have nightmares when i think about the PS3 boards.

Recently i was forced to leave an Italian board about movies because one of the users called me "son of a broken condom", the mods edited the post, scolded him, and that's it. Not even a suspension or a ban. I eventually deleted all my posts with the help of a mod, and asked for account deletion to an admin. The account is still there though. That guy was known for talking nonsense, trolling for years and being obsessed with the same subjects, like celebrities.

I was even attacked by a woman for NOT making a grammar mistake, she even wanted my personal email and phone number to continue bullying me. She eventually gave up after a couple of nonsense replies.

And a redditor called me "Nintendrone corporate slave" for being pessimistic about a future portable Sony gaming system. He and his stupid friends still send me weird messages on PSN sometimes lol.

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 8:31 AM, Lance_87 said:

GameFAQs boards suck lol, i still have nightmares when i think about the PS3 boards.

Recently i was forced to leave an Italian board about movies because one of the users called me "son of a broken condom", the mods edited the post, scolded him, and that's it. Not even a suspension or a ban. I eventually deleted all my posts with the help of a mod, and asked for account deletion to an admin. The account is still there though. That guy was known for talking nonsense, trolling for years and being obsessed with the same subjects, like celebrities.

I was even attacked by a woman for NOT making a grammar mistake, she even wanted my personal email and phone number to continue bullying me. She eventually gave up after a couple of nonsense replies.

And a redditor called me "Nintendrone corporate slave" for being pessimistic about a future portable Sony gaming system. He and his stupid friends still send me weird messages on PSN sometimes lol.

I used to think as a kid it was mostly Americans being dickholes and all. We caused enough shit to earn that bad reputation, both in the real world and on the internet. But as I matured thru high school and my early going at college I realized there were assholes everywhere, including UK, Australia and Europe.

This is the kind of attitude I expect out of schoolyard bullies, and the bullies who are a part of gangs. "Let me know where you will be so I can take your lunch money and harass you some more". What is depressing is most of everybody who harasses others online are adults.

Years ago I was an active forum user on DSLReports, a website listing all the major internet companies and the news reports surrounding them. We had a conservative and liberal sub forum for those 'political' discussions, but once you posted on either you could not post on the other one for 30 days. It was a good rule, because too many conservatives went to the other sub forum to shit on the liberals, and vice versa.

But it got to be too much. I was harassed on DSLReports for blurting out my opinions, I was vocal against AT&T and Verizon for eliminating their home internet service. Every news article became just a drawn out political conversation, usually pinpointing the guys Obama and Trump had under them who were corporate masters. Finally, I decided to leave, because the heated responses were just too much.

I used to frequent Reddit years ago, but decided to leave that behind because of harassment. Too many people being sensitive about nothing.

• 1 month later...

Most of my online interactions are pleasant.

This one time, I was trying to get 100% in Journey and managed to finish it with a random player who messaged me after to thank me - just as I was about to write them the same. It was really wholesome.

I don't really play online anymore, unless boosting.

I had this one group chat and this weirdo started babbling obscenities, but the group put up with it, since we needed him.

Mmo tryhards are the worst though.

Back in my Swtor days, I got a lot of flack from this one guy in unranked PUB PVP for my hybrid tank build. Nice guy! ?

Edited by Bratinov
  • Like 2

I once got a message 'I hope you die in real life'. I backstabbed the guy in Dark Souls? But I found it funny. Also sometimes I get messages asking ir I'm a girl (must be username?), and feel bad to disappoint.

But from little online interactions I had on PS, most were positive. I feel I always had good luck finding boosting partners just by playing with randoms, and since I mostly play older games, most everyone playing is doing it for trophies.

• Like 2