Is this game bad as the first one?

Play3GianniGreed

Recently I have played Darksiders, the ps4 version, and got the platinum in it. 

But I hated every minute of the game. 

It was just a bad God of War clone, with an uninteresting story, slow fights and bad mechanics (all the puzzles with switches and portal gun). The only thing that I liked was the design of the main characters, because it reminded me of the comics from the 90s.

So, with all that said, how it's the second? Better? Worse? 

Edited by Play3GianniGreed
  • Like 4

The darksiders series are a bunch of joy to play. Sure perhaps it has a lot of elements from God of War and similar games but the hack and slash nature of it just brings out all the fun. I had an amazing fun time with the whole series and honestly would play them all again. The story itself was very interesting and I loved how they all sort of connected. Loved the last scene In the first Darksiders where it shows the 3 other horsemen raining down on the planet. That scene literally gave me goosebumps xD 

• Like 1

I personally feel that Darksiders II is bloated as all hell, and the physical embodiment of the phrase "too much of a good thing". There's just way too many ideas mixed into the overall package for most of these ideas to feel like any meaningful thought was put into them past just including them because it probably sounded cool to the developers. It makes the game feel like it's suffocating itself at times, like it can't breathe because there's just no room to do so given how many concepts are mixed into it.

It's treated as the fan-favorite by the majority of the fanbase, but I honestly can't understand why given the above. That said, the game is really pretty, and Death is a fun protagonist with a great voice to boot. I also do feel that the combat is generally better and smoother than it was in the first game, but the loot system really drags the whole experience down rather than enhances it like a lot of people seem to think. Still a good game, just... too crowded if you ask me.

If you didn't like the first game, though, then I think it's doubtful that you'll like the second or beyond.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

I personally think Darksiders 2 is worse.  It is a very bloated game and doesn't know what it wants to be.  It uses a lot of concepts from other games but doesn't do anything deeply enough to be compelling or effective.  The light action RPG elements where you pick your build are not very interesting because you're essentially choosing between a caster or a melee type.  The loot isn't interesting because you're really only looking for specific stats to go along with your caster or melee build.  Weapon loot entirely revolves around the items that devour other items since you can fix the stats and make items that literally make the character build.  The difference between a build with devour weapons vs a build without is just staggering.  You'll be unable to upgrade your weapons without a new item of this tier once you acquire your first.

You also can't get to max level without NG+ so the game requires essentially 2 playthroughs regardless.  Dungeons are not super interesting and a step back from the first game overall.  I didn't find many to be that interesting with the exception of maybe the one that required two different timelines to advance.  The DLC dungeons are just a waste of money as well.  The first game was a better experience since it was more of a hack n slash adventure game, but the 2nd is more of a looter action RPG where everything just feels shallow.  Nioh 1 and 2 are a lot better as looter action RPG games.

• Like 2

Darksiders II was the first game I ever pre-ordered back in the day and I loved it so much I went for all the achievements on Xbox 360 which was rare for me at the time. Pity the PS3 version's platinum is unobtainable due to the really stupid online trophy- surely a workaround can be found, like connecting to a dummy server or something? Anyway, neither of the first two games are bad by any means. Some clunk to both, perhaps, but still great games.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

well, the first one is not a God of War clone - it’s a 3D Zelda clone (and a great one at that).

Also, yes, the second one is very much as bad as the first one - in so much as they are both excellent.

The second one is more of a loot based experience, more open and much longer.

I'm in the mood for a 3D Zelda, so this piqued my interest

• Like 2

Forgot to mention, the voice acting is good. 

I have decided to play it in English (I'm Italian, and the game is dubbed in Italian too) and I liked it. 

As for my initial statement, maybe it's too harsh, what I should have said is that I found the game not funny. Not at all. It was very boring for me. Like I said, the story didn't click for me. 

• Like 1

You know I kinda agree with you op

Darksiders(imo)is a series with a incredible premise. You play as one of the four riders of the apocalypse each with their own unique gameplay style.

Problem is the games at their core are mediocre.

Simple easy puzzles, basic combat, stories that are let’s be real not very compelling or well told. 

The art direction is solid but it does comes off as World of Warcraft lite at times. Lol

Darksiders 1 is 3D Zelda meets DMC(the devs words) Its pretty short and kinda shallow but has a great intro that sets up a mostly underwhelming game.

War never really grows as a character and is annoying edgy at times.

Dungeons look cool but are all basic in design(so like most 3D Zelda dungeons)

and don’t have that charm or fare 3D Zelda does.

Final boss is probably one of the worst I’ve seen in a game as well.

Darksiders 2 is better IMO, Death is a stronger character and I find his more speedy gameplay to my liking.

He actually has character development and grows by the end with a full arc.

Dungeons are more in the vain of Diablo we’re their are big one and lots of smaller ones that reward loot for your troubles.

Actually the whole game takes lots from Diablo with the builds(melee or mage) loot system and leveling.

Oh and your horse is used in a more practical way this time around so there’s that too.

Id say if you didn’t like Darksiders 1 then stay away from 2.

It’s a better game objectively, but it’s kinda go’s on too long and it’s still not the best the genre has too offer.

• 1 year later...

They are both fantastic games very Zelda esq. But the ps3 version of 2 is unobtainable as it has a sharing trophy. Maybe the person who fixed 40th Day mask trophy can one day fix that? All you need to do is send an item to a friend. 

On 6/23/2021 at 6:30 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

well, the first one is not a God of War clone - it’s a 3D Zelda clone (and a great one at that).

Also, yes, the second one is very much as bad as the first one - in so much as they are both excellent.

The second one is more of a loot based experience, more open and much longer.

Yes it was marketed as Zelda for a more adult generation and it certainly delivers. They are fantastic games. Even 3 is decent though warning it has a massive difficulty spike even on easy mode. They actually patched it to make it easier by adding more checkpoints. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2021 at 3:06 PM, Silocia said:

A well known loved IP and OP just walks in and calls it bad 1f602.png1f602.png

I commend you and your giant balls OP!

Gamers gotta get their meaningless online validation fix somehow (also, I'd say Darksiders is actually pretty niche, but I digress). See it all the time, especially on here.

Edited by Zephrese

14 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

first one was bad? if any in the series are "bad" its the 3rd but still. 1 is good.

The third game might honestly be my favorite in the series so far (put several hundred hours into it over multiple playthroughs), but it's certainly the least polished of the bunch.

Hoping that the next game - if there is one - gets more time in the oven.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

The third game might honestly be my favorite in the series so far (put several hundred hours into it over multiple playthroughs), but it's certainly the least polished of the bunch.

Hoping that the next game - if there is one - gets more time in the oven.

I had a blast with the third one but yeah... the buggiest game I've played.

• Like 1