"Disc Read Error"...solution?

GunfighterHefty

Hi all,

I was recently able to procure a copy of Lollipop Chainsaw. I started playing the other day with no issues. 

Last night, I beat the first boss and immediately after finishing the QTE to kill him, it goes to a loading screen. It never advanced to the next scene and I quit to xmb, which caused it to black screen. Couldn't hit anything on the controller or manually turn off my system, so I had to pull the plug. 

Back to today and I've tried twice to advance in the story but now everytime I kill the first boss I get the load screen until a "disc read error". I did notice there is a scratch on the disc but it really doesn't look like that bad of one. 

I tried the alcohol method but didn't yield any results. 

Anyone have any suggestions? Can a corrupted save prompt a "disc read error" or is it just the scratch itself causing the inability to load the next portion? 

Would one of those 'buffing machines' possibly work? 

Appreciate any help...super bummed right now ?

14 minutes ago, GunfighterHefty said:

They only make things worse. Discs are meant to be cleaned from the center-out, not in a circular motion. If you're not getting read errors from other games, then it's clearly your disc, or at the very least, a bad install.

55 minutes ago, GunfighterHefty said:

Not for blu-rays, the data is too close to the surface to "buff" or resurface them, it would only make it far, far worse. That's kind of the double edged sword with blu-rays, they're harder to damage than a DVD, but any kind of semi-significant scratch to them could potentially render some of the data permanently damaged/destroyed. Whereas I've seen DVD based games scratched beyond belief that still work perfectly fine.

I know you already tried alcohol, but try getting a microfiber cloth (preferably one of those clothes used to wipe glasses and phone screens), make it a little damp (just plain ol' water) and gently wipe the disc from the centre outwards. Don't rub in a circular motion, as there's always a very slight risk of creating new scratches when wiping a disc, and circular scratches are usually a lot harder for a laser to read through than a regular straight scratch. Then wipe the disc dry with another cloth, or a dry part of the same cloth, and leave it to air dry for a while for good measure.

If it still doesn't work, there's not much you can really do unfortunately. You could try putting the PS3 in a different position to see if it reads the disc any better (e.g. put it vertically if it's horizontal currently, or vice versa), but it probably won't help in this case. If all else fails, it may be worth gently running a nail over that scratch you see, if you can feel it at all, it's damaged the data layer, which would pretty much 100% confirm that's the cause of your issues. If you bought it recently, I recommend returning it if at all possible.

• Like 2