YORGOS_PB

I've been slowly abandoning gaming and it's very weird to me, anyone else?

21 posts in this topic

Not sure if it was related to the COVID Season, or my usual depression / mind bullshit, or existential dread, or simply a new stage I'm dealing with, but for the last months it's been extremely difficult for me to sit down and enjoy a game; even games I would usually play. Should I try new stuff?, gaming is what I do to have fun and now it's a chore that feels very weird. 

I've been gaming ever since I was 5yo like the majority in here, years ago I began labelling myself because some friends were constantly mentioning that X character was for Tryhards, Y was for Hardcores, and Z was for Casuals; I've always gamed for fun and never really felt like I was better than the others at PvP so that'd make me an average gamer (some matches are good, some matches are bad, and some matches just suck), eh?

Also as much as I might enjoy a multiplayer game my jam has always been single player or co-op games.

So far I feel like this might be a stage or a phase or whatever you want to call it, or maybe it's the beginning of the end. Guess I'll know for sure in the next couple of years. 
I won't be getting any replies from those who simply abandoned gaming eh?

I'm not here to decide for you but I personally will recommend you to take few weeks break, find a thing that you can do instead of gaming that you can enjoy, and decide whether you want to play or not. Probably, you will experience some thing that will be much important than gaming like having kids and family, so I think, like right now, you need to use your free time on gaming and personal pleasures as well.

These threads always come and go and the short answer will always be: Do what feels good for you.

I've quit gaming for maybe max 6months once but I always return because It's something I like in my life and I can't really see myself living without.

I always try a new game or genre and try something out of my comfort zone when it gets boring or stale.

That's my recommendation, but it's different for everyone.

Posted (edited)

Agreed with these guys... If it's starting to feel like a chore, that is not enjoyable! Take a break for a few weeks, find other hobbies that interest you, then reevaluate later on...

If the age on your profile is right, you are 16 and still have a lot in front of you; take it from this old man who is 36!! As Baranov above mentioned, if you are planning on having kids and starting a family, you will have less time to game down the road. So this is also something to consider. 

Edited by Joe Dubz

Agree with those comments above me.

I usually have this feeling around the beginning of summer when my summer depression hits me hard and I don't enjoy things I usually do. Like you say, it's like a chore and that makes it even worse.

During that time I step back or at least don't do any trophy hunting.

Try new things and/or only do what makes you feel comfortable.

The moment you realize you can't stand gaming that day just stop - even if you started the console like 10 minutes ago.

There will come the day when you just want to play and it will feel good - or not. But that's not the end of the world as long as you do what you like.

Hobbies change or will have some longer pauses inbetween - for example: I love reading and I read at least 30 different books per year and when I was about your age I just stopped and didn't touch a book in 5 years. And recently I just started again and it feels like I never stopped. 

1 hour ago, YORGOS_PB said:

for the last months it's been extremely difficult for me to sit down and enjoy a game; even games I would usually play. Should I try new stuff?

Looks like you've 100% completed Far Cry 3, Blood Dragon, and Primal. Any interest in playing the 4th one? Sometimes I too get anxious/depressed, and I have a hard time starting and enjoying games, but there's something about the open world and repetition of games like Far Cry that allows me to just sink into them and let the time fly by. Sleeping Dogs is another one I'd recommend.

Having said that, maybe you do just need to try something new. If you do decide to take a break from gaming, I would suggest that you don't replace that spare time with more internet browsing, movies, TV, Youtube binges, etc. For me, that shit just adds to the anxiety and boredom. If you're physically able, I recommend just getting out of the house more often. We're not meant to sit in front of a screen all day.

There are arseholes that belong to all forms of media/entertainment/anything actually, that try and turn it into a religion almost. 'You're tool if you like these sounds and not these sounds' 'You're a pussy for playing this game and not that game' etc etc etc. It goes on and on and fucking on with these dicks. Basically they found something they like/are good at and instead of showing others or introducing them, they throw there opinions in others faces. 

To the OP. Its fucking gaming man. Don't try and take it to some other level than it being a hobby. Yeah you can burn out and go off gaming, happens to everyone, even those that never imagined itr would. But don't think on it any other way than it being a hobby. Either take a break and find something else to enjoy, or just chill the fuck out and see gaming for what its meant to be. 

Meh, hobbies come and go. It’s totally fine and normal to be losing interest in gaming. You can try different games or reading a book or making art or hiking or any other wide variety of hobbies in your spare time instead. Maybe your interest in gaming will reinvigorate at some point, maybe it won’t. It’s life.

Now if you’re losing interest in gaming as well as any other activity that used to make you happy and aren’t motivated to try anything else new, then that’s a sign of depression. In which case I’m totally open if you want to talk but you should reach out to your doctor or another mental health professional. Lockdowns and isolation have had a negative effect on a lot of people and there’s nothing wrong with seeking advice from others that can help you.

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I always try a new game or genre and try something out of my comfort zone when it gets boring or stale.

That's my recommendation, but it's different for everyone.

That's what I started doing little by little with the Switch; bought this thing in November and have tried some indie games and will be trying platformers for example. 
I've tried Fighting games and... Damn, the time required to adjust my brain into it won't be happening. I do think it might be related to the comfort zone. 

18 hours ago, Joe Dubz said:

Agreed with these guys... If it's starting to feel like a chore, that is not enjoyable! Take a break for a few weeks, find other hobbies that interest you, then reevaluate later on...

If the age on your profile is right, you are 16 and still have a lot in front of you; take it from this old man who is 36!! As Baranov above mentioned, if you are planning on having kids and starting a family, you will have less time to game down the road. So this is also something to consider. 

16?, fucking hell I'm 30 let me change that hahahaha. I don't really plan on having kids, at least not now and for the last many years. 
Time will tell. 

18 hours ago, EverythingOnFire said:

Looks like you've 100% completed Far Cry 3, Blood Dragon, and Primal. Any interest in playing the 4th one? Sometimes I too get anxious/depressed, and I have a hard time starting and enjoying games, but there's something about the open world and repetition of games like Far Cry that allows me to just sink into them and let the time fly by. Sleeping Dogs is another one I'd recommend.

Having said that, maybe you do just need to try something new. If you do decide to take a break from gaming, I would suggest that you don't replace that spare time with more internet browsing, movies, TV, Youtube binges, etc. For me, that shit just adds to the anxiety and boredom. If you're physically able, I recommend just getting out of the house more often. We're not meant to sit in front of a screen all day.

I've been wanting to play the 4th one for years, and it's funny that you mention it because every time it's on slae I'm like "uhm... Damn, not right now but I should definitely buy it for once" and not do anything. But eah that's on my list. 
I'm usually an active person but that's been fading away too, will have to look into new hobbies and people are mentioning. I was thinking about learning a trade job (blacksmith) but it's just impossible to find what I want in here, next month I'll be back in Spain and there things will change. 

17 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

There are arseholes that belong to all forms of media/entertainment/anything actually, that try and turn it into a religion almost. 'You're tool if you like these sounds and not these sounds' 'You're a pussy for playing this game and not that game' etc etc etc. It goes on and on and fucking on with these dicks. Basically they found something they like/are good at and instead of showing others or introducing them, they throw there opinions in others faces. 

To the OP. Its fucking gaming man. Don't try and take it to some other level than it being a hobby. Yeah you can burn out and go off gaming, happens to everyone, even those that never imagined itr would. But don't think on it any other way than it being a hobby. Either take a break and find something else to enjoy, or just chill the fuck out and see gaming for what its meant to be. 

It's always been a hobby and one that I enjoy a lot, it's what I do to relax or have fun at home. The best way to call it a day. 
But it's made me realize that I need more in-house activities other than gaming, I've been reading for some weeks now so that's a start

16 hours ago, Neocarleen said:

Meh, hobbies come and go. It’s totally fine and normal to be losing interest in gaming. You can try different games or reading a book or making art or hiking or any other wide variety of hobbies in your spare time instead. Maybe your interest in gaming will reinvigorate at some point, maybe it won’t. It’s life.

Now if you’re losing interest in gaming as well as any other activity that used to make you happy and aren’t motivated to try anything else new, then that’s a sign of depression. In which case I’m totally open if you want to talk but you should reach out to your doctor or another mental health professional. Lockdowns and isolation have had a negative effect on a lot of people and there’s nothing wrong with seeking advice from others that can help you.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. I liked this hobby because it didn't clashed with my mental health until now, andto some degree I understand the situation but it's still extremely weird because more than a hobby it's almost a tradition already. 
I've been reading for a few weeks now and plan on keeping at it; wanted to do it for years because insomnia has been my worst enemy my entire life and reading before bed has helped a lot. 

----------------------------------------------

Thanks for the replies people, this is one of those things you just want to get off your chest. 
I've talked about this with some friends (nothing too serious because we can all agree that this is no serious matter) and the feedback has been pretty vague, so I felt like trying in a gaming cradle. 

Edited by YORGOS_PB

22 minutes ago, YORGOS_PB said:

16?, fucking hell I'm 30 let me change that hahahaha. I don't really plan on having kids, at least not now and for the last many years. 
Time will tell. 

Ha no worries man, I was in the same boat, felt the same exact way all my life, and now I have a baby girl coming in October! Things change quickly so don't rule it out just yet!

22 minutes ago, YORGOS_PB said:

Thanks for the replies people, this is one of those things you just want to get off your chest. 
I've talked about this with some friends (nothing too serious because we can all agree that this is no serious matter) and the feedback has been pretty vague, so I felt like trying in a gaming cradle. 

Ha okay, I hope talking it out with everyone has helped you think things through! I know how you mean tho... #FirstWorldProblems   😂

Posted (edited)

I dunno if it's totally the same but going through something kinda similar and I'll drop my thoughts here for however much it helps.

It's not that I'm losing interest in games, it's that I don't really want games to be the "main" thing in my life anymore.  That being said, the stuff that I'd want to be the main things as an adult... a wife, kids, a family... feel so far out of reach as a single 33 yo guy that I don't really know where to start.  I have a good job (that can take up a lot of my time if I let it), I have a house that I keep up, I have a car.  There aren't many avenues in life left to go alone.  A break from games doesn't help because it wouldn't be immediately replaced by anything meaningful or more enjoyable.  I still want a hobby, I still need something to do in my downtime, and I still like gaming more than other stuff.  I can't spend all of my free time trolling for women lol, if being that kind of sociable were even a remotely enjoyable activity for me.

This is why, to my backlogs dismay, I've turned to MMORPG's like Final Fantasy XIV.  It's not much, but the social element of video games feels better than scratching off another single player game from the list (though I still do from time to time, and still want to to some degree).

I think a meaningful first step for me would be getting a dog, which I've been intending to do forever.  Just something to get all of my pent up attention and help me mentally settle down a bit.  A bit more day to day activity and responsibility.

Edited by Dreakon13

Definitely a similar situation, although I'm nowhere close to be as stable as you mention I do feel a similar way about turning to certain games or genres. 
I played Monster Hunter World/Iceborne for almost 2K hours and believe that was part of the main problem (sort of, because I did enjoy 99% of that playtime) because I did feel something develop when I really thought about how much time that was; I've never played and will most likely never play something as much as that game, I think my record was like 600 hours with another Monster Hunter game and that's a LOT. 
Rise came out and it was a day-one for me but... It wasn't the same, I got bored really fast considering the regular MH playtime. It's a cool game but I guess that spark died out on me. 

And now that I think of it... MMORPGs are the best games to keep a low gaming profile. Low as in keeping at it but not going balls deep if you know what I mean, or maybe do going balls deep but with just that particular game. 

Next month I'm finally moving back to Spain and have decided to not take the PS4 with me at least for the first 7-10 months because I've been wanting to develop the reading habit for a long time, and well I also need to meet new people. I barely use my new-ish Switch and that I'll be taking. 

On 6/24/2021 at 7:45 PM, YORGOS_PB said:

Not sure if it was related to the COVID Season, or my usual depression / or existential dread, or simply a new stage I'm dealing with, but for the last months it's been extremely difficult for me to sit down and enjoy a game; even games I would usually play. Should I try new stuff?, gaming is what I do to have fun and now it's a chore that feels very weird. 

I've been gaming ever since I was 5yo like the majority in here, years ago I began labelling myself because some friends were constantly mentioning that X character was for Tryhards, Y was for Hardcores, and Z was for Casuals; I've always gamed for fun and never really felt like I was better than the others at PvP so that'd make me an average gamer (some matches are good, some matches are bad, and some matches just suck), eh?

Also as much as I might enjoy a multiplayer game my jam has always been single player or co-op games.

So far I feel like this might be a stage or a phase or whatever you want to call it, or maybe it's the beginning of the end. Guess I'll know for sure in the next couple of years. 

Your not the only one feeling that way, it makes 1 year where im slowly enjoying it less and another problem is

that this days it's more quantity over quality, the psn is getting oversaturated with all this low effort steam releases

which takes even more the motivation away in enjoying this hobby,

im not saying i will quit but im not sure when i will actually have anything worth wasting my time much later in the future.

Take a break if you're not enjoying games anymore. There's plenty of things other than gaming to enjoy in life!

It's not that I abandon gaming I just feel Multiplayer games abandon me,  like I enjoy the hell out of multiplayer games but guess what....   paid subscription on console kills community alot of Playstation brands are just abandon or there isn't anything new.  Then when on computer alot of stuff is on Early Access, which is fine some I put 1,000 and 500 hours into... but guess what a multiplayer game never gets the support it needs or becomes stale due to bad patches or just shenanigans.

When it comes to singleplayer I just like the small time enjoyable games, I don't like when games feel like a job. heh

I prefer singleplayer games that I can find hidden secrets,explore or gain new stuff. 

On 24.6.2021 at 8:45 PM, YORGOS_PB said:

Not sure if it was related to the COVID Season, or my usual depression / mind bullshit, or existential dread, or simply a new stage I'm dealing with, but for the last months it's been extremely difficult for me to sit down and enjoy a game; even games I would usually play. Should I try new stuff?, gaming is what I do to have fun and now it's a chore that feels very weird. 

I think it's normal to have periods of not gaming. Some months or even years, i don't touch my ps4, unless it's to play Fifa career making dream teams. Some weeks i play upwards of 30 hours of CS:GO on my pc, and for months i don't turn my pc on. 

Ups and downs :) It's all normal 

Posted (edited)

It seems like you felt you're the odd one out when it's perfectly normal to transition to other hobbies and interests.

Oh, and pay no mind to the gatekeepers, especially in computer game communities.

Edited by thepeaguy83

Depression and existential dread at 16? At least wait when the back  pains start,  it won’t get better from here on out, so you better enjoy your childhood,

Regarding games, are you getting enough sleep?  Covid was stressful on me for work, so I had less time to sleep, at that point I almost detached myself from gaming, even considering getting simple trophies a chore,  but slowly I’m getting back to it, it also helps for depression.

1 hour ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Depression and existential dread at 16? At least wait when the back  pains start,  it won’t get better from here on out, so you better enjoy your childhood,

Regarding games, are you getting enough sleep?  Covid was stressful on me for work, so I had less time to sleep, at that point I almost detached myself from gaming, even considering getting simple trophies a chore,  but slowly I’m getting back to it, it also helps for depression.

I wouldn't believe that entirely. He would of been just seven years of age when he made his account on PSNProfiles. I wasn't allowed daily access on the internet until I was about 13 - 14 years old, before that I had to ask for permission to get on.

Enjoy the childhood when it lasts. Experiencing pains in your 30s is only the beginning.

Given the current state of the world, someone being depressed and dreading the future as young as 16 wouldn't surprise me. It sucks out there and it's not getting any better. As a serious note to anyone reading this, if you're having issues of this kind find someone professional to talk to if you can. There is no shame at all in seeking help when you need it and it'll help you in the long run.

As to the threads question, pretty much what everyone else said. Don't worry about other people, just play when you feel like it, don't play when you don't. Take the time to work on yourself and discover other things you might enjoy. I've found meticulous work, like model painting/building or gardening, good mental resets when I get feel fatigue over other things I usually enjoy.