Can you auto-pop PS5 trophies without a PS4?

MojoNJojo

@Kcrack_Km @DrBloodmoney I don' think it's worth arguing here. I find playing on my PS5 superior with any game I play and while sometimes the difference is indeed negligible (Metro 2033 Redux xD), in most cases the difference hits me in the face right away. If someone calls 60fps / 4K / faster loading times / ray tracing negligible then they might as well skip this generation altogether. But with argument "I'm still pressing the same buttons", PS1 might still do the job as well. :)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HusKy said:

@Kcrack_Km @DrBloodmoney I don' think it's worth arguing here. I find playing on my PS5 superior with any game I play and while sometimes the difference is indeed negligible (Metro 2033 Redux xD), in most cases the difference hits me in the face right away. If someone calls 60fps / 4K / faster loading times / ray tracing negligible then they might as well skip this generation altogether. But with argument "I'm still pressing the same buttons", PS1 might still do the job as well. :)

Oh, believe me, I know, but I'm having so much fun...

On 28/06/2021 at 0:40 PM, Kcrack_Km said:

I know we’re all trophy whores here, but my God. Trading a better experience just for auto popping trophies. I couldn't imagine playing something like Crash 4 on the ps4 if you have a ps5 (no 40 second loading screens between restarts etc).

I'm not a trophy whore. I'm a trophy hunter.

Yes, I make a distinction between the two. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mcnichoj said:

100% serious and don't call me Shirley. Very few games if any at all will have all those features you're talking about simultaneously.

As far as FPS goes, 60+ FPS isn't anything new and yet everyone was content with the vast majority of AAA first party titles from Sony running at 30FPS on the PS4. While it looks nice and smoother, again it's not experience changing for me. If you show the average person a game for the first time running natively in 30FPS, they'd probably have no issue with it either.

Ray tracing is currently a meme and heavily hampers the FPS increase you just bragged about, often reverting games back down to 30FPS just to run with it on. If you have a $5000 PC then you can play with RT but don't try it on console and expect optimal performance.

Resolution only matters if you have the TV that supports it. Don't have a 4K TV? Then 4K gaming is irrelevant.

Loading again is a non-massive experience defining changer. At its best Miles Morales is a twelve second difference from PS5 to PS4 and at its worst was Horizon Zero Dawn with an over thirty second difference. I've had a PSX and nearly every disc based system since then and the PS4 loading times were a light years of difference since those days, so a half minute difference is nothing compared to having to wait multiple full minutes in the past.

Sounds like you should just give your PS5 to someone and play on a base PS4 - you clearly have no appreciation of what the PS5 can do and have no interest in playing games at their best.

Everyone is entitled to like what they like, but you've said so many things simply in order to bait people like myself to question your intelligence. If you're trying to state that you think playing a PS4 game in order to grab the PS5 trophies for 'free' without actually playing the game on the new hardware is the best thing, then I'd strongly disagree. Gaming is supposed to be about fun and enjoying the experience, not finding the quickest and easiest way to obtain a virtual item that nobody other than the person grabbing them cares about.

With people like yourself, if that is what you're trying to say, gaming isn't a fun activity or a hobby they like doing, it's a chore and nothing but a job trying to claim as many trophies as you can. In a way, it's an addiction, something which isn't healthy and should be looked into. If you bought a film that contains both a Bluray and DVD, you wouldn't watch the DVD first so you don't have to bother watching the superior video format, just because you have both copies to hand. You'd watch the best version and forget the worse one.

But, you do you, just don't try and claim the things you mentioned in your post are factual - you can clearly see and feel the difference in the PS5 editions over the PS4 - every time. Even if you have a 1080p TV, you still get the higher framerates and downsampled image quality, along with faster loading and controller enhancements. The majority of PS5 upgrades are night and day over the PS4 counterparts, opting to skip playing those for a virtual trophy is silly (in my opinion)

Edited by turniplord

2 minutes ago, FreshFromThaDeli said:

I'm not a trophy whore. I'm a trophy hunter.

Yes, I make a distinction between the two. 

Well said.

Myself - I'm simply a Player of Games - who happens to play games with trophies in them.

• Like 1

On 29-6-2021 at 2:58 PM, Kcrack_Km said:

First of all, we’re on a gaming website, we’re not your average gamer and are well aware of gaming performance. Ray tracing a meme? Hampers FPS? I’m watching my gf play A Rift Apart with ray tracing at 60 fps and I couldn’t disagree anymore if I tried. It looks absolutely ridiculous.

Very true. I loved not having to choose between ray tracing and 60 fps on Rift Apart. And it looks absolutely fantastic and performance hardly ever dips under those 60 fps, no matter how mad things got on-screen. Rift Apart is also the first game where ray tracing visuals absolutely blew me away. 

On 6/29/2021 at 8:44 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Especially since you paid through the nose to get it...

$540 isn't that big of a deal considering all consoles cost in the hundreds. I bought the launch PS4 at $400 and whatever the tax for that was. If anything I paid more for my Kingdom Hearts PS4 Pro I bought from a scalper and my MGS4 PS3 Phat bundle. The PC I have cost more than any console I own and runs games and makes them looks better than any of them. In theory I (and apparently most of you) should only be using PlayStations for the exclusives and play everything else on PC.

Also, why'd you bother to go back and finish off the PS3 version of Shadow of the Colossus just for a day later to start up the PS4 version? Wasn't it you that said something about "questionable benefit of 2 plats"?

On 6/29/2021 at 8:58 AM, Kcrack_Km said:

First of all, we’re on a gaming website, we’re not your average gamer and are well aware of gaming performance. Ray tracing a meme? Hampers FPS? I’m watching my gf play A Rift Apart with ray tracing at 60 fps and I couldn’t disagree anymore if I tried. It looks absolutely ridiculous. 60 fps absolutely does matter, everytime a major Sony exclusive gets a ps5 patch, it shoots right back up to the top 10 games played on this very site.

People are literally begging Sony for a Bloodborne patch ffs. I don’t know why you’re trying to argue load times either, go play Demon’s Souls on the ps3 and compare it to ps5. Or ask anyone who got the platinum for Crash 4 on the PS4 how painful the Perfectionist trophy was because you had to wait 40 seconds between every death.

First of all, this is a trophy site. Over 90% of the threads and posts here for each game pertain to trophies.

Good to know about Rift Apart, I'll make sure not to play the PS4 version because obviously such a thing exists because whatever other relevant reason would you bring up a game that wasn't ported from a PS4 version when my whole argument is about the fact the differences from PS4 to PS5 isn't that major of a deal.

Big LOL for having to compare a game from two gens back to make a point. You've completely lost the plot.

On 6/29/2021 at 9:25 AM, HusKy said:

It's not worth arguing yet you felt the need to throw in your half cent.

You're mentioning playing a game via backwards compatibility, you've missed the whole point of this thread. Which btw, play Sea of Solitude on there next and tell me how that goes.

On 6/29/2021 at 9:55 AM, turniplord said:

Sounds like you should just give your PS5 to someone and play on a base PS4 - you clearly have no appreciation of what the PS5 can do and have no interest in playing games at their best.

Everyone is entitled to like what they like, but you've said so many things simply in order to bait people like myself to question your intelligence. If you're trying to state that you think playing a PS4 game in order to grab the PS5 trophies for 'free' without actually playing the game on the new hardware is the best thing, then I'd strongly disagree. Gaming is supposed to be about fun and enjoying the experience, not finding the quickest and easiest way to obtain a virtual item that nobody other than the person grabbing them cares about.

With people like yourself, if that is what you're trying to say, gaming isn't a fun activity or a hobby they like doing, it's a chore and nothing but a job trying to claim as many trophies as you can. In a way, it's an addiction, something which isn't healthy and should be looked into. If you bought a film that contains both a Bluray and DVD, you wouldn't watch the DVD first so you don't have to bother watching the superior video format, just because you have both copies to hand. You'd watch the best version and forget the worse one.

But, you do you, just don't try and claim the things you mentioned in your post are factual - you can clearly see and feel the difference in the PS5 editions over the PS4 - every time. Even if you have a 1080p TV, you still get the higher framerates and downsampled image quality, along with faster loading and controller enhancements. The majority of PS5 upgrades are night and day over the PS4 counterparts, opting to skip playing those for a virtual trophy is silly (in my opinion)

Don't tell me what I should do with my property. I bought it to play PS5 games. If you actually wanted to play games at their best, then you'd have a gaming PC.

Well apparently not. You guys came here as the official gaming police saying he's not allowed to play the PS4 versions. I never said anything was "the best thing", go read my first post in this thread and every subsequent one. Obviously gaming isn't about fun the way you guys are obsessing over pixels, lighting and thirty second waiting differences to the point of having a nuclear melt down for suggesting they're not the end all be all. Which before you try to rebuke that your aren't, you obviously are otherwise your post wouldn't be so condescending and you wouldn't have felt the need to resort to ad hominin attacks over how one person wants to unlock trophies.

What's this weird obsession with you claiming I said something? That aside, plenty of people still rock out with their Betamax or Laser Disc's. I personally have a friend that will watch the 1995 widescreen OT Star Wars VHS tapes over any other version. Which BTW it's weird that you're saying all this but you platted the PS4 version of Scarlet Nexus and the PS5 version is only sitting at 7% on your profile. Why'd you play the DVD version of the game when you owned the Blu-Ray?

What in my posts isn't factual? The loading time difference thing came from an extensive article with side by side video comparisons. That ray tracing takes a lot of resources and can throttle performance? If that wasn't the case then I'd guess more than a few titles of the over dozen that have been ported would have it yet it's only in the Spider-Mans, Watch Dogs and a tennis game.

Hoping a mod comes and locks the thread now. The question has long since been answered but before we go, here are your night and day differences with PS5 ports. Better shadows of window panes when standing still... In a game where you're supposed to be constantly in motion. Oh and trees that had shadows that were shaped like one random blob are now shaped like a different random blob. WOW! It's like I'm looking at two completely different games.

https://i.ibb.co/DGSz3m3/th1.png
https://i.ibb.co/Gd3ccZh/th2.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

$540 isn't that big of a deal considering all consoles cost in the hundreds. I bought the launch PS4 at $400 and whatever the tax for that was. If anything I paid more for my Kingdom Hearts PS4 Pro I bought from a scalper and my MGS4 PS3 Phat bundle. The PC I have cost more than any console I own and runs games and makes them looks better than any of them. In theory I (and apparently most of you) should only be using PlayStations for the exclusives and play everything else on PC.

Also, why'd you bother to go back and finish off the PS3 version of Shadow of the Colossus just for a day later to start up the PS4 version? Wasn't it you that said something about "questionable benefit of 2 plats"?

First of all, this is a trophy site. Over 90% of the threads and posts here for each game pertain to trophies.

Good to know about Rift Apart, I'll make sure not to play the PS4 version because obviously such a thing exists because whatever other relevant reason would you bring up a game that wasn't ported from a PS4 version when my whole argument is about the fact the differences from PS4 to PS5 isn't that major of a deal.

Big LOL for having to compare a game from two gens back to make a point. You've completely lost the plot.

It's not worth arguing yet you felt the need to throw in your half cent.

You're mentioning playing a game via backwards compatibility, you've missed the whole point of this thread. Which btw, play Sea of Solitude on there next and tell me how that goes.

Don't tell me what I should do with my property. I bought it to play PS5 games. If you actually wanted to play games at their best, then you'd have a gaming PC.

Well apparently not. You guys came here as the official gaming police saying he's not allowed to play the PS4 versions. I never said anything was "the best thing", go read my first post in this thread and every subsequent one. Obviously gaming isn't about fun the way you guys are obsessing over pixels, lighting and thirty second waiting differences to the point of having a nuclear melt down for suggesting they're not the end all be all. Which before you try to rebuke that your aren't, you obviously are otherwise your post wouldn't be so condescending and you wouldn't have felt the need to resort to ad hominin attacks over how one person wants to unlock trophies.

What's this weird obsession with you claiming I said something? That aside, plenty of people still rock out with their Betamax or Laser Disc's. I personally have a friend that will watch the 1995 widescreen OT Star Wars VHS tapes over any other version. Which BTW it's weird that you're saying all this but you platted the PS4 version of Scarlet Nexus and the PS5 version is only sitting at 7% on your profile. Why'd you play the DVD version of the game when you owned the Blu-Ray?

What in my posts isn't factual? The loading time difference thing came from an extensive article with side by side video comparisons. That ray tracing takes a lot of resources and can throttle performance? If that wasn't the case then I'd guess more than a few titles of the over dozen that have been ported would have it yet it's only in the Spider-Mans, Watch Dogs and a tennis game.

Hoping a mod comes and locks the thread now. The question has long since been answered but before we go, here are your night and day differences with PS5 ports. Better shadows of window panes when standing still... In a game where you're supposed to be constantly in motion. Oh and trees that had shadows that were shaped like one random blob are now shaped like a different random blob. WOW! It's like I'm looking at two completely different games.

https://i.ibb.co/DGSz3m3/th1.png
https://i.ibb.co/Gd3ccZh/th2.png

Weirdly you don't have a single PS5 game on your profile. Why are you so salty and putting down all next gen upgrades? It's like you want them to be bad? 

What difference do you want to see in a static image? Ps1 to ps4 generations leap? I'm sure those images show perfectly how smooth next gen versions are. 

It's so weird to look at someone being so stubborn about next gen while it was confirmed by absolutely everyone that loading times, resolution, rtx, fluidity and dualsense integration make up for vastly superior experience. Like, why? 

12 minutes ago, Forunth said:

Weirdly you don't have a single PS5 game on your profile. Why are you so salty and putting down all next gen upgrades? It's like you want them to be bad? 

What difference do you want to see in a static image? Ps1 to ps4 generations leap? I'm sure those images show perfectly how smooth next gen versions are. 

It's so weird to look at someone being so stubborn about next gen while it was confirmed by absolutely everyone that loading times, resolution, rtx, fluidity and dualsense integration make up for vastly superior experience. Like, why? 

I have OCD, I've been planning what I want my 2,000th trophy to be for a long time. I play a lot of games on alternate profiles. As for what you think I'm feeling, that's on you for confusing my indifference with indignation.

Go ahead and look up the video where I got those screenshots from. You're right, it looks smoother but it's not this life changing experience.

"confirmed"

lol, and you don't list out any specific ports just all the buzzword features.

9 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Your very first post in this thread goes off topic.

I was clearly replying to all the posts of people attacking Mojo for asking a simple question. That's not off topic buddy.

7 minutes ago, Kcrack_Km said:

This guy’s lost the plot. I’m struggling to see exactly what he’s even arguing about anymore, especially with his reply to my quote. If he doesn’t even own a ps5, why bother? lol

Did you literally copy my idiom and try to use it back on me? What are you, like twelve? Also where are you getting these baseless claims from? I've had a PS5 since day one, said as much in this thread. Finding evidence of me posting on various PS5 topics since release date isn't hard to find, including a thread I made about BC games with first hand experience. You can go look at my profile on your PS5 and you should see a bunch of 0% PS5 games strewn through my game history.

I'm sorry that you forgot already what was being argued even granted that this is only a two page thread but I'll make it simple for you; PS4 game ports on the PS5 aren't the second coming of God and that's okay. Yes they have improvements much like an ice crème cone with two scoops of ice crème is an improvement over an ice crème cone with one scoop but other people don't have to have two scoops if they don't want and can just enjoy the one scoop. You don't need to get mad over other people with one scoop, it's just ice crème.

blah blah blah

Yes, I got the platinum in Scarlet Nexus on the PS4 because I got the game for review the day my PS5 broke. So, I sent my PS5 to sony and had to continue playing the game on the PS4 Pro in order to complete it and get my review out in time for the release. That's why I played the inferior version - something I mentioned quite a few times in my review due to the visibly jerky 30fps, sub 1080p resolution, and long loading times that really annoy you when you begin 'fast' travelling all over the place.

Did I 'enjoy' playing on the Pro after I'd played a few hours on the PS5 previously - no. Did I have to play on the PS4 - yes, because of the review.

Also, RT is in Spider-Man, Doom Eternal, The Persistence, Observer, Ratchet and Clank, Godfall, Devil May Cry, etc... So not only the few you said.

As I said, you can have your own opinion, but saying there's little to no difference in the PS5 enhanced editions over the original PS4 games is very silly, ignorant and wrong. But, as the other person pointed out, you've only booted up Astro and Bugsnax on the PS5 so you clearly haven't even tried any PS5 games - new or enhanced. Hell, you've not even played on your PS4 (as I doubt you have a PS5 anymore) since December. 

Maybe play the games and experience the difference instead of watching Youtube channels that post compressed videos that don't show just how different it is playing a native PS5 game over the PS4 version? Anyway, no point discussing this anymore, time to play some games :)

? nice! ?

?? ?? ?? 
I applaud the the effort at citation of hypocrisy my friend - it’s beautiful to witness - like watching a newborn lamb take it’s first fledgling steps in a big wide world ? 

However -  if you are seriously trying to argue equivalence between finishing up a platinum on an older version of a game, on an old console, then embarking on a new platinum journey on a superior, later-gen version of the same game…

…and purposefully playing only the inferior version, bypassing the superior one completely, even after paying for and securing the new hardware, just in order to receive double trophies for a single journey…

…then, dear boy, you have strayed so far from the path of reality that there is little hope you might still find your way back ?

• Like 1

Cross save is the solution here, more devs need to implement it. I completed Nioh's story a while ago, got the remaster this week, transferred the save to it, got the plat, transferred the save back to the PS4 version to auto pop those trophies. Both Plats and no compromises, shaving off just 6 seconds from loading times is massive when grinding. 

8 minutes ago, turniplord said:

Yes, I got the platinum in Scarlet Nexus on the PS4 because I got the game for review the day my PS5 broke. So, I sent my PS5 to sony and had to continue playing the game on the PS4 Pro in order to complete it and get my review out in time for the release. That's why I played the inferior version - something I mentioned quite a few times in my review due to the visibly jerky 30fps, sub 1080p resolution, and long loading times that really annoy you when you begin 'fast' travelling all over the place.

Did I 'enjoy' playing on the Pro after I'd played a few hours on the PS5 previously - no. Did I have to play on the PS4 - yes, because of the review.

Also, RT is in Spider-Man, Doom Eternal, The Persistence, Observer, Ratchet and Clank, Godfall, Devil May Cry, etc... So not only the few you said.

As I said, you can have your own opinion, but saying there's little to no difference in the PS5 enhanced editions over the original PS4 games is very silly, ignorant and wrong. But, as the other person pointed out, you've only booted up Astro and Bugsnax on the PS5 so you clearly haven't even tried any PS5 games - new or enhanced. Hell, you've not even played on your PS4 (as I doubt you have a PS5 anymore) since December. 

Maybe play the games and experience the difference instead of watching Youtube channels that post compressed videos that don't show just how different it is playing a native PS5 game over the PS4 version? Anyway, no point discussing this anymore, time to play some games :)

Even though you've been nothing but an asshole to me in this thread, I'm legitimately sorry to hear that about your PS5. That has to suck. Hopefully they can get your machine repaired quickly.

1. I mentioned Spider-Man. Which for the record has different performance modes. So therefore factual when I said ray tracing effects performance.

2. Doom Eternal literally got the RT patch two days ago, I think I get a pass for not knowing about that.

3. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart does look and play infinitely better on PS5, I'll concede this one. I'll make sure not to play the PS4 version.

4. Godfall is not a port from PS4. The new PS4 version is a downgrade port.

5. DMC I didn't know about. I haven't played any version of 5 and definitely wasn't going to buy it at full price this gen. However just like Spider-Man it has performance vs visual modes. "RaY TRaCinG ISn'T a MEmE"

6. Observer apparently has issues with RT on.

7. The Persistence is some new indie game I've never heard of, my bad.

8. It's super convenient to just say "etc" when you want to make it seem like you have more examples of something when you don't.

You're misrepresenting what I said again. I said the differences in most cases is negligible. Having more "realistic" lighting doesn't make for an intrinsically different experience.

As what person pointed out? I'm the one that just mentioned you can look up my profile which is weird because supposedly I'm the one that doesn't have a PS5 and yet I have to tell you guys how to use yours.

Returnal and Ratchet haven't showed up because I haven't unlocked any trophies in a while and these sites are all weird now with how they update PS5 0%s. I haven't touched Ratchet yet at all but I did play several hours of Returnal on an alt account and really enjoyed it.