Konami and bloober team partnership suggest slient Hill revival

Thephoenixshow

While I don't have as much against Bloober as some people, I don't think they're a studio that are going to make any revolutionary jumps in the horror genre (infact it's pretty well documented how derivative their current games are).  Which is what people will expect from a new Silent Hill, especially with P.T. never fully leaving our minds.

I genuinely enjoyed Layers of Fear, Observer and Blair Witch... never tried Layers of Fear 2, and while I never played The Medium just from the gameplay I've seen I can understand why people don't find it to be a very exciting horror game.  Hopes aren't high that they'd turn a Silent Hill entry into a masterpiece but here's hoping.  If the rumor is true.

EDIT: I will say, whether you like Bloober or not, they've definitely made a name for themselves as a premiere horror game developer in the industry.  Even getting Konami out of their shell.  Deserve some kudos for that.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 4

All of Bloober's games are mediocre at best. If they really are given the go-ahead to work on a new Silent Hill, this will just continue the trend of the western-developed games in the series not being worth a damn. It would be a real slap in the face to get a Bloober-developed Silent Hill game full of cliches and horror tropes (as is their MO) after being teased with P.T/Silent Hills that was so unique and promising.

• Like 1

It’s an interesting partnership no doubt. Konami rarely is focused on video games these days and for them to partner with a current and “hot” horror developer is pretty remarkable.

Yes, while I wish the Kojima rumor was true and would rather have it be him involved after what we saw with PT/Silent Hills, it is not realistic. Regardless, I like Bloober Team horror games for the most part and am looking forward to see what comes of this.

I thoroughly enjoyed Layers of Fear (and its DLC) and >Observer_. Layers of Fear 2... not so much. Too much "in your face" references like Se7en and generally less self-contained story. Have no interest in Blair Witch (never watched the movie as well). Still, looking forward to The Medium on PlayStation console(s) and want the studio to improve their horror narrative perspective a little so it doesn't feel like vanilla LoF all the time.

Edited by VegaMan-X4

12 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

EDIT: I will say, whether you like Bloober or not, they've definitely made a name for themselves as a premiere horror game developer in the industry.  Even getting Konami out of their shell.  Deserve some kudos for that.

I'd argue it was Behaviour Interactive Inc. that brought Konami and the SH IP back with the Dead By Daylight DLC.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I'd argue making games is bigger than making DLC, but it doesn't really matter lol

Yeah but they saw monetary value in the market outside of Japan and that didn't involve pachinko.

Millions of people play DBD and I regularly see Pyramid Head players in my matches. That's not even including the skin cosmetics they have like of Robbie the Rabbit and other SH characters that go for $10 a pop. Konami made shit loads of money without having to do anything, the bloods in the water and BI put it there.

26 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

Yeah but they saw monetary value in the market outside of Japan and that didn't involve pachinko.

Millions of people play DBD and I regularly see Pyramid Head players in my matches. That's not even including the skin cosmetics they have like of Robbie the Rabbit and other SH characters that go for $10 a pop. Konami made shit loads of money without having to do anything, the bloods in the water and BI put it there.

You want to know what else makes money with skins and barely any effort, Silent Hill pachinko machines lol.

I still think committing to a new series entry would be a bigger deal than slapping some loveable Silent Hill characters into DLC pack #17 in someone elses game.  But people sure do love Dead By Daylight apparently, so don't let me take anything away from you.

Edited by Dreakon13

1 minute ago, Dreakon13 said:

You want to know what else makes money with skins and barely any effort, Silent Hill pachinko machines lol.

I still think committing to a new series entry would be a bigger deal than slapping some loveable Silent Hill characters into DLC pack #17 in someone elses game.  But people sure do love Dead By Daylight apparently, so don't let me take anything away from you.

You're right, its involvement in a major video game had no influence over them deciding to come out with a new game since... 2012. Almost a decade, no big deal.

25 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

You're right, its involvement in a major video game had no influence over them deciding to come out with a new game since... 2012. Almost a decade, no big deal.

It's beside the point anyways, all I'm saying is Bloober has made enough of a name for themselves that it seems like Konami has commissioned them to revive their storied franchise.  I dunno if they really deserve it, I dunno if they'd do a good job with it... but it's impressive all the same.  There aren't many big, pure horror developers out there rising out of the indie scene.

But yes, <insert game you love> is amazing.  It's taking the world by storm and everything it touches turns to gold.  Point taken.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

But yes, <insert game you love> is amazing.  It's taking the world by storm and everything it touches turns to gold.  Point taken.

lol, who hurt you?

It's on the 5th page for most played games on this site out of 253.

https://psnprofiles.com/games?order=owners&page=5

It has consistently for years remained in the Steam top ten most concurrent players charts on a platform with over 30,000 games available.

https://steamcharts.com/

Over on the Xbox side it's on the 6th page out of 80 for TrueAchievement users.

I guess it sucks that you don't like multiplayer games but it's objective fact that Dead By Daylight is very popular.

We constantly see companies re-release old games to "gauge internet" in future entries. Konami giving BI the SH license was them gauging interest.

50 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

lol, who hurt you?

It has consistently for years remained in the Steam top ten most concurrent players charts on a platform with over 30,000 games available.

I guess it sucks that you don't like multiplayer games but it's objective fact that Dead By Daylight is very popular.

We constantly see companies re-release old games to "gauge internet" in future entries. Konami giving BI the SH license was them gauging interest.

Hold up. How is it gauging interest if, according to you, it’s a most played game. That means there is a huge player base already there to gobble up DLC for their beloved game. I doubt the Stranger Things, and whatever else licensed expansions were gauging interest. They exist to make money, that’s it! You can dream it’s fan service or a way to gauge if people are ready for a full Silent Hill game but let’s not kid ourselves.

I love Silent Hill to death. Saw the Silent Hill Dead by Daylight DLC and thought cool, good for them. Still no interest in playing Dead by Daylight though. It has been tempting by a few times with all their cool DLC but that’s the intended reaction or goal. To expand the player base even more and bring in more money. It’s just business.

2 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

lol, who hurt you?

Not even saying I disagree with this... but taking my point about Bloober being an increasingly reputable horror studio, as evidenced by a few things (a few decent IP's, Blair Witch license, Microsoft relationship) with the latest being potentially asked to helm a new Silent Hill entry... and turning it into a one-man Dead By Daylight circlejerk is kind of annoying.

Edited by Dreakon13

22 hours ago, NMErickson said:

You can dream it’s fan service ... but let’s not kid ourselves.

Who's kidding? The SH DLC is the first one where the killer launched with two cosmetic sets of items. Most of the licensed DLC killers don't even launch with a single cosmetic item at all. Cheryl Mason is the first survivor to launch with not only three full cosmetic sets but is the first where said sets changed her model completely to other characters from the franchise (Alessa Gillespie, Cybil Bennett and Lisa Garland) and she launched with several stand alone shirts (which I don't think any other character has reached that amount) that use the designs from the shirts she can unlock in SH3. Moving on to the SH map which they based off the elementary school from predominantly the first game has an interactive Easter Egg which no other map does. Robbie the Rabbit which I mentioned before was the first ever licensed cosmetic that was used to customize one of BI original killer character. Least I forget to mention that if you buy the DLC killer/survivor bundle you can then enter the Konami code on the main menu and unlock the Gradius ship; Vic Viper as a cosmetic.

The Silent Hill DLC is the epitome of the phrase "by fans, for fans".

Not a single DLC before or after has come close to the amount of content they put in that one.

20 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Not even saying I disagree with this... but taking my point about Bloober being an increasingly reputable horror studio, as evidenced by a few things (a few decent IP's, Blair Witch license, Microsoft relationship) with the latest being potentially asked to helm a new Silent Hill entry... and turning it into a one-man Dead By Daylight circlejerk is kind of annoying.

Not sure why you have to resort to that kind of childish language but for the record you're doing the same thing with Bloober.

They're not the only company out there making highly praised horror games. If anything had they been serious about wanting to revive the SH franchise why wouldn't they have pursued Shinji Mikami? TEW was highly regarded, it got a sequel, the games characters/atmosphere are highly inspired by SH and if they wanted someone with an MS relationship well then his parent company was straight up bought by MS long before The Medium came out.

• 10 months later...
5 hours ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

wVniD2N.png

LAE4tYG.png

5Qd4ykd.png

8FIRch8.png

Judging by those images and the (I assume Japanese) text, I don’t think it’s bloober developing it. That’s a really good thing if I’m right since bloober hasn’t done a good games since the first Layers of Fear. But I won’t start believing in a Silent Hill rumor until it’s officially announced. I’ve been burned to many times. But one can always hope. Silent Hill have been the king of horror for so long and it would be sad if we never got another game. My first horror game I’ve ever played was SH1 and I found it as amazing then as I do now. 

But after SH 4 The Room it all started going downhill. Homecoming was a action game with very little horror imho. Downpour had its moments, the theatre scene and the cinema side quest was pretty great as was the decision to make the rain impact the behaviour/spawn of enemies. The worst thing about Downpour was that there were no bosses at all. The final encounter is not a boss since all you do is to pull some hoses to kill it. Silent Hill have always had bosses. Hopefully which ever studio (if any) that is developing the next SH game will stay true to the series and deliver an amazing horror experience.  

• Like 1

It isn't even looks great, it looks like some indie stuff, the same as Abandoned. Easy to believe, the game will not going to be made from top tire developer. As Silent Hill fan myself from the very beginning, I am still lying to myself that everything after 4 was decent, but in 2022 it is hard to take another attempt on the game from random people, even if they have a name in genre. Never played or been interested in Bloopers work, and this is let down if this is true. 

But I am very wrong if the developer is different and those pictures are random sketches from the past.