Is it any good?

I was thinking about buying this game, but most reviews I've seen/read say it's a Mass Effect ripoff with a old-school alien invasion story.

So is it a good Mass Effect ripoff or is it like that Star Trek game that came out a while ago? Is the combat good? Is it full of glitches?

Does leveling up characters feel like it makes a difference in battle?

It's been kind of hard to find any info about this game that doesn't boil down to it's a bad XCOM spinoff.

So any insight about how the game plays is welcome. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally just because reviewers say it's bad doesn't mean it sucks...-_- I have the game myself and I played it for a good two hours and I can say I enjoyed those two hours :) Sure it may seem like a rip-off version of Mass Effect but really... WHO CARES!? I bought the game for £12.00 and for a price like that it's a pretty darn good game indeed :D I'm not gonna say you should buy it or not but if I were you I wouldn't be worried about playing this game :) It really isn't all that bad...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'll be platting this soon. I personally think it is a good game with some opportunities for improvement. As a HUGE  XCom fan, I am disappointed that you don't get to do actual research. If an alien laser rifle drops, you can pick it up and use immediately!

For people who could care less about the XCom mythos, there are two very large selling points (in my opinion) on this game -

• NO COLLECTIBLE TROPHIES!
  • NO TACKED ON MULTIPLAYER! (or Multiplayer trophies)

I wish I had a list of games that met those two criteria ;)

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I purchased the game off Amazon for $15 last week. Overall I thought it was average, I liked that it didn't follow the Enemy Within formula of turned based gameplay, but it is very straight forward (one path to go), with no decision making other then what your load out is. You receive the much cooler perks/abilities so late into the game that I don't think there is much time to enjoy them (especially mind control). I'd recommend it if you found it cheap, the DLC trophy expansion is also fair at $5.

Edited by After The Rain

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Okay, I finally bought and just finished The Bureau: XCOM Declassified and yes it is a good game, especially if you like mass effect 2's gameplay.

It is a short game and it does feel like a lot of the story is missing, but the last third of the story is really great and would be fascinating if this game's story was a canon with Xcom EU/EW.

The game is moderately difficult on the commander difficulty, but it nowhere near as difficult as mass effect 2's insanity difficulty.

The platinum is pretty easy and should take 1-2 playthroughs and 15 hours to obtain.

The Hangar 6: R&D dlc is pretty good and you can obtain most of the base game trophies in it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I bought this for £4.99. Hated it first time, i played for an hour or so and was so bored. I played again a couple of days later and enjoyed more the further i got into it.  It still isn't great, but quite enjoyable (i'm not far from the end). I may play through again for platinum now i know whats what. Mass effect is far superior but on the whole i would give 7.5/10. Schleeping around the base is a tad boring though  :rolleyes: !!