Thomas2400

Playing after P5R, differences?

14 posts in this topic

So I'm coming into this game after having played persona 5 royal and I'm wondering what are the main differences

So far it seems to be largely the same but I'm wondering is there anyway to see if there are social links in an area without exploring everywhere, in P5R you could highlight areas and see who was there and if they'll level up in haven't found a way to do that here 

Also what are any other elements that work different that I should look out for 

I haven't played P5R (yet) but I did play vanilla P5 before playing P4G.

The biggest difference is the combat/dungeons; both are far more simple compared to P5's style.  IIRC, there is no way to check where your social links are. It's worth noting that there is far more missable content with your social links. I can't say anything further due to spoilers, but you can (and should) avoid this by using the platinum walkthrough on this site. It contains zero spoilers; follow that and you'll be able to max all of your social links without ruining the story for yourself.

Enjoy! I personally liked P4G more than P5 (and I love P5 mind you).

Edited by yuber1234
Typo

Time is much tighter than on P5 Royal much much much tighter. I'd use highly rated guide and do a fairly big save rotation. You have less tools in combat and reduced access to stuff which makes doing dungeons in one day a little bit more difficult. There's an exploit or two you'd want to look into. You'll constantly want to be fusing persona's as you level up to lessen the grind and cost of finishing the compendium. There's more stuff, but that's all I got off the top of my head.

Edited by nyarLOLhotep

Unfortunately, no, there's no minimap or anything to tell you which social links are available. As you'll notice, P5 has a lot of QOL upgrades in comparison to P4

As for larger differences, there's a good few:
One thing to note is that all dungeons are essentially mementos. Some are set floors where it's like a hallway and then a big room for the boss fight, sometimes it's slightly more complex but still pre-generated, but 99% of the time it's random generated.

The persona aspect itself also works pretty differently. For starters, shadows =/= personas. They are completely different entities in this game. You'll fight orbs with tongues and tables with masks, but you don't collect those, as you don't get personas through negotiating and talking with the enemy, but you can get them as a bonus card if you do well in a fight (by exploiting enemy weaknesses and using all-out attacks). This is called Shuffle Time. It can boost persona stats, level up personas entirely, affect your dungeon navigation, affect money/xp outcome, etc. It's also how you get skill cards. Instead of blank cards and having yusuke translate them, you give them to Marie in the velvet room, and that move's skill card will be permanently added to the shop, so you can buy as many as you want (more powerful skill cards = higher yen price)

Fusion also works pretty differently. In P5, group fusion was always set recipes, like crafting almost. In P4, it basically works like regular fusion but with more personas tacked into the fusion. There may be set recipes like in P5, mainly for the strongest personas, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Oh, keep in mind that every ally defaults to automatic orders, so if you want to take direct control of your party, be sure to do that as soon as you get the chance (there'll be a menu and it's not that hard to do it, it just gets me every time lmao)

There's also a good chunk of smaller differences.

Part-time jobs actually matter more, as not only are you more strapped for cash (as you are a more law-abiding citizen than in P5), but some part-time jobs actually have social links attached to them, just in case you're wondering how/where all the social links are.

NPC (non-party) social links also don't give you extra bonuses, like how Kawakami can give you a massage/do chores for you, or how Ohya helps with the alert percentages. It only helps for persona fusion XP boosts, and getting the super strong one at rank 10.

AFAIK, there's no way to check your personality skills either. You just have to memorize that.

Your deadline isn't as obvious. You have to check the weather report until you see a lot of rain slowly creeping in on the forecast. You should rescue before then.
There are no baton passes. You'll probably find this really annoying, as it doesn't let you combo super easily, and makes fights generally more difficult as even if you get all the enemies down that you can, you still have that one enemy that you can't really do anything about, so you basically end up wasting that one more.
There's no side requests like in P5 where you'd travel through mementos to find minibosses of evil adults. In fact, no replacement for mementos exists. All grinding is done in previous or current dungeons. There are sidequests however, sometimes as simple as "talk to A, go to B to get C, go back to A the next day", sometimes you have to go back to a previous dungeon to find a specific enemy that drops a specific item. 
Available equipment is based on the materials you gather from the enemies you fight, you sell those to the equipment shop in the shopping district, and the guy gives you new stock.

And that's basically it as far as I'm aware. Could be missing something, like I said, I haven't played too far, but this should be a good guide of what to expect in differences. If any P4G vets see any wrong info in this post feel free to let me know. Hope this helps!

2 minutes ago, nyarLOLhotep said:

Time is much tighter on P5 vanilla much much much tighter. I'd use highly rated guide and do a fairly big save rotation. You have less tools in combat and reduced access to stuff which makes doing dungeons in one day a little bit more difficult. Burger King is a fucking joke. There's an exploit or two you'd want to look into. You'll constantly want to be fusing persona's as you level up to lessen the grind and cost of finishing the compendium. There's more stuff, but that's all I got off the top of my head.

OP was talking about going from P5R to P4G, not P5R to vanilla P5 :) 

Just now, yuber1234 said:

OP was talking about going from P5R to P4G, not P5R to vanilla P5 :) 

Yeah, I edited my post, but a lot still applies xD

Some good info but to put my 2 cents in.

Social links are harder to obtain (especially vs Royal) and Hardcore Rissette will take some luck.

Hardcore Rissette will be a pain, make sure you're constantly swapping party members

Also (as i post this for anyone new to the game) watch this AFTER you are done (lot of spoilers but very funny)

What also hasn't been mentioned is that you can't swap party members mid-dungeon. You must exit to do so. There's also no save places within dungeons. You can continue from the furthest floor reached though. That's no nuclear, psychic, or gun type as well.

thanks all the replies everyone, I think I'm just going to wing it first time through experience the social links I find and just enjoy the story

Then I'll follow the walkthrough on a second playthrough, I know it was mentioned the walkthrough wouldn't really spoil anything but I feel like I'd have more fun without constantly checking one 

Also I'll be saving regularly on a few different spots but is there any way to screw myself, I'll do the dungeons as soon as possible just done the first rescue about a week before the heavy rain started but unlike P5R I really had to plan every move on the boss and even then it was a close call after a few retries. I'd hate to get 40-50 hours in and then because of bad prep or having the wrong personas I'm screwed, playing on normal if that changes any advice 

5 hours ago, Thomas2400 said:

thanks all the replies everyone, I think I'm just going to wing it first time through experience the social links I find and just enjoy the story

Then I'll follow the walkthrough on a second playthrough, I know it was mentioned the walkthrough wouldn't really spoil anything but I feel like I'd have more fun without constantly checking one 

I would strongly advise against that. Even if you aren't worried about trophies, there is a big part of the story you will not see if you don't max out one particular social link by a certain date.

The guide here is extremely well-written and doesn't require clicking all over the place; trust me, it won't be a pain.

It's written like this:

November 1

Afternoon

Go to xyz job (courage increases)

Evening

Hang out xyz person

Answer with xyz 

Xyz person is now rank 2.

Very, very painless to follow.

15 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Also (as i post this for anyone new to the game) watch this AFTER you are done (lot of spoilers but very funny)

One of my favorite videos on Youtube. I quote it all the time haha. Atlus even put a "fsteak" reference in P4G haha.

When I did my 2nd playthrough of the game, I screenshotted moments that were satirized in this.

2 minutes ago, BrilloHD said:

One of my favorite videos on Youtube. I quote it all the time haha. Atlus even put a "fsteak" reference in P4G haha.

When I did my 2nd playthrough of the game, I screenshotted moments that were satirized in this.

For me it's "I grew a body by doing sit ups" which made me laugh while watching Dark Knight Rises the first time and saw batman fixing his broken back by doing sit ups.

It is a shame the comic was never finished