They won't make a Vita 2, but if they did what specs would you want on it?

The option to use a normal MicroSD card instead of a specific sony item that costs 3 times the normal price. And to have backward compatibility with the PSP/Vita and possibly some select PS3 games. More importantly, remove the back pad and add dedicated shoulder buttons for the L2/R2.

• Like 4

I'd just like it to be bigger so it's easier to hold for people like myself who have really big hands - the current one causes major finger cramp after a while in some games :(. Also, ditch the Rear Touchpad and all the other gimmicky junk features most games either never used or poorly implemented. Bringing back the ability to have 2 accounts on the same system would also be nice - removing it was unbelievably dumb.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Wavergray said:

Take a Sony Xperia 5 II slap the :triangle::circle::cross::square::l1::r1: buttons, some analog stick, and a slot for vita game cards.
Boom Vita 2.
https://electronics.sony.com/mobile/smartphone/all/p/xqas62-b

https://www.sony.com/electronics/smartphones/xperia-5m2/specifications

I was like "damn not a bad phone"

Then I saw the "Gorilla glass 6" 

My Note 10+ also has Gorilla glass 6 and it does horrible with scratches.. I found out later why the phone came with a factory screen protector...

1. The most important thing is regular micro SD cards.  I don't see why not since the Nintendo Switch uses micro SD cards.  This is the main reason the Vita was held back.
  2. Region-free games and consoles.
  3. L2 and R2 buttons or triggers.
  4. They should have sure that the analogs, buttons, and triggers are made out of quality material to avoid drifting.
  5. I know this is a what-if scenario, but a hypothetical PS Vita 2 could give older IPs such as MotorStorm new life.

• Like 2

First, NO proprietary memory cards that cost God knows how much. Look at Nintendo doing it the right way. You can get a 256 GB card for the Switch... any 256 GB mSDXC card, and you're not going to spend even a half as much as you did for a Vita memory card! And I agree that Sony need to be more Japanese developer friendly.

For the screen, I'd like either OLED or Nanocell technology. The screen should be about 10". I'd be willing to shell out $400 for a Vita 2 that was made with a good build quality. Hardware power should be maybe a little higher than the Switch. Go for 1080p if possible.

• Like 1

Performance and fidelity modes that target 720/60 and 1080/30 would be nice

Slightly bigger screen, with oled

The ability to Bluetooth connect a dualshock 4 or dualsense 

No back touch screen

L2/R2 buttons/triggers (either is fine)

PS1/PS2/PSP and Vita Backwards Compatibility 

5G connectivity 

Better PSN Store

Better support and marketing for the console

No Near

• Like 2

I see a lot of good ideas and a lot of monster kickass handhelds that people have come up with. It's a little weird, but I have to ask: how portable do you want your handheld to be? Bigger screens are nice. Form factors that have space for L/R2 triggers could be comfortable and feel good in your hands. There's other stuff that sounds great, but would increase the size/weight and/or maybe kill your battery a little faster. So, where's the cut off/trade off for you? Do you want a system that's small enough to fit in the front pocket of a pair of baggy jeans or do you want that bigger screen? How much power is worth diminished battery life and how far can you push it  until it becomes bothersome? How portable is a handheld that's so big it requires it's own carry-on? These compromises aren't as bad as they used to be, but we're still dealing with limited real estate here. With current technology what's your Vita 2 golden ratio?

Edited by nyarLOLhotep
  • Like 2

MODELS

PS Vita 2 WiFi model

PS Vita 2 5G model

Network

•802.11ax (Wi-fi 6) 

•5G: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 25, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78, 79, 260, 261 Sub6/mmWave - A2342

Body

Build:

•Aluminum & plastic frame

•No rear touch pad, but maybe an extra 2 buttons or something, I ono..

Sim (5G model only): 

•Single SIM (Nano-SIM and/or eSIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)

Cartridge slot:

•Single dual cartridge slot for Vita & Vita 2 game cartridges

Memory card slot:

•Proprietary PlayStation memory card (ONLY IF THEY CAN MATCH MICRO SD's CAPACITY AND PRICE) if not.. 

•microSD (Up to 2TB) 

Layout: 

•D-pad 

•Dual analog sticks 

•L1 & R1 shoulder buttons 

•L2 & R2 short triggers 

•Slightly protruding Start/Select/Home buttons

IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 6m for 30 mins)

DISPLAY

Type: AMOLED 120hz 

Size: 6 - 6.5 inches

Resolution: 1920x1080 FHD (I'm guessing, but either that or a 720p OLED display)

Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus

Platform

OS: Probably the same layout as the Vita but smaller and more cleaner look to it

CPU: ***I have no clue*** I need to study and learn about CPU's.. 

GPU: ***Again, I have no clue***

Memory

Card slot: proprietary PlayStation card if they can match capacity and price with the microSD, if not microSDXC (Up to 2TB)

Internal: 64GB 12GB RAM 

Camera

Front: 8mp - 10mp

Back: 12mp

Sound

ANYTHING louder than the PCH-1000

3.5mm jack: Yes

Comms

WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6

Bluetooth: 5.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD

GPS: ***Do we really need it?***

USB: USB Type-C 3.2

Battery

Anything to get a minimum of 6-7 hours

• Like 1

At least 6 GB RAM, but 8 GB RAM would be a dream. 4 GB would've been too low I think.

At least 1.0 GHz clock speed, hopefully better.

Basically I would want and expect specs to lie in between the Switch and Xbox One (or between the PS3 and PS4 if you prefer). 

Nonproprietary microSD slot. And include way more internal storage even if it's a paltry 32 GB like the Switch.

At least a 1080x720 screen. I mean the Switch has that after all. So there's no reason for a Vita successor to have any less. But they'd probably do a custom 1440x816 to keep things in proportion with the PSP and PS Vita. OLED would be great as well, instead of LCD like the Vita 2000.

L2 and R2 for crying out loud. Clickable analog sticks would be nice as well, but not as critical. 

15 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

I'd just like it to be bigger so it's easier to hold for people like myself who have really big hands - the current one causes major finger cramp after a while in some games :(. Also, ditch the Rear Touchpad and all the other gimmicky junk features most games either never used or poorly implemented. Bringing back the ability to have 2 accounts on the same system would also be nice - removing it was unbelievably dumb.

Lol I have the exact opposite problem, my hands are tiny so some handhelds really hurt after a while. I even struggle with the Xbone controller ?

In terms of what I’d like if they were to make a new vita:

-Touch screen

-Streaming capabilities 

-Being able to use generic memory cards rather than a console specific one that is ridiculously priced

-Ability to access PS Now library (or at least some games) on the handheld

-No console gimmicks like the rear touch pad or movement controls or anything. I usually game sitting like some bridge troll so don’t need my camera moving all over the place or me accidentally clicking everything 

-Long term support for the console. I love my vita but by the time I picked mine up Sony already left the console to die ? 

-More handheld specific titles. I don’t just want to port games over to the Vita 2, I’d like some original console exclusive titles to make it more worthwhile

Also the original reason I bought my vita was to play on train commutes because I felt like the switch was a bit too cumbersome, so in a new handheld I would want to retain some form of mobility with the console. 

Edited by hittheroadbucky
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, nyarLOLhotep said:

I see a lot of good ideas and a lot of monster kickass handhelds that people have come up with. It's a little weird, but I have to ask: how portable do you want your handheld to be? Bigger screens are nice. Form factors that have space for L/R2 triggers could be comfortable and feel good in your hands. There's other stuff that sounds great, but would increase the size/weight and/or maybe kill your battery a little faster. So, where's the cut off/trade off for you? Do you want a system that's small enough to fit in the front pocket of a pair of baggy jeans or do you want that bigger screen? How much power is worth diminished battery life and how far can you push it  until it becomes bothersome? How portable is a handheld that's so big it requires it's own carry-on? These compromises aren't as bad as they used to be, but we're still dealing with limited real estate here. With current technology what's your Vita 2 golden ratio?

I kind of went over it in my post already, but I prefer smaller handhelds like the Vita and Switch Lite. I own a regular Switch, and while the bigger screen is very nice, I find it quite cumbersome. It's uncomfortable to play in handheld mode for long periods of time due to its weight. The Vita on the overhand is lightweight to the point where I can even hold it in one hand with no issues (something I like doing sometimes while reading VN's). And yeah, its smaller size makes it less of a hassle to take out in public too. Handhelds should be more about portability than raw power. Honestly, in many ways, the Switch Lite pretty much *is* the Vita 2. Just give it a nice OLED screen, a battery life of 5-6 hours like the original Vita, and of course trophy support, and it would be perfect.

If Sony tried hard enough, I truly believe they could create a handheld system that rivals the Nintendo Switch. Imagine the possibilities. If they did eventually want to go down that route, I’d love to see full support for the platform and let it progress alongside the PS5 and future consoles. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ModernDreamer said:

If Sony tried hard enough, I truly believe they could create a handheld system that rivals the Nintendo Switch. Imagine the possibilities. If they did eventually want to go down that route, I’d love to see full support for the platform and let it progress alongside the PS5 and future consoles. 

The problem is that I don't see Sony or third parties putting in the effort to get true exclusives or at least console exclusives to a third handheld. Switch is doing so well because of its Nintendo software and at least some slight help from third party exclusives and multiplats. 

Sony is all about big budget games now, even though they will of course still publish some more mid-tier ones. Really the only big budget Sony games that would make any kind of impact on a handheld are remakes or ports of PS2 or PS3 games that were big budget for their time. So games like The Last of Us or Uncharted.

Basically the vita or switch lite design (no removable controllers)

- SD Cards support

- 1:1 controls buttons with the console controller

- Cross save/Cross buy with ps5 (supported games of course)

- Shared trophy lists with ps5

- PS4/PS5 Controller support

- Vibration 

- 1080p screen

something that I'd like to see is a new version of Remote Play that can be played offline. technically different than remote play, but I'd like to see a portion of the games that are too powerful to be on a handheld being playable on a handheld, for example all the Gwent matches in the witchers 3

I had this idea while playing FFXIII on the ps3 when the vita first launched, imagine having access to the open field and Cie'th Missions on the go

Edited by TalalHmd