They won't make a Vita 2, but if they did what specs would you want on it?

16 hours ago, TalalHmd said:

Basically the vita or switch lite design (no removable controllers)

One of the best things about the Switch is the removable controller. Even though I've had zero issues with my Vita since launch, mistakes can happen. In the off chance something did happen to the buttons or sticks of someone's Vita, then they're screwed. With the Switch you just take them off your console, go to the store and buy new ones to put on. (Which I think most people have to do at some point thanks to the shitty drifting issue Nintendo won't fix.)

29 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

One of the best things about the Switch is the removable controller. Even though I've had zero issues with my Vita since launch, mistakes can happen. In the off chance something did happen to the buttons or sticks of someone's Vita, then they're screwed. With the Switch you just take them off your console, go to the store and buy new ones to put on. (Which I think most people have to do at some point thanks to the shitty drifting issue Nintendo won't fix.)

It’s pretty inexpensive and simple to replace a button on a Vita. Not as easy (or expensive) as driving to a local store and picking up a full controller replacement, but controller buttons shouldn’t be so poorly manufactured that people think it’s great to be able to buy replacements because they plan on them breaking.

I would think the best feature of a removable controller is that it’s not attached to the screen and should make it a bit more dexterous than being forced to juggle the whole device as well as the potential for third party custom options, but if you think the best thing is just replacing broken ones, I guess different people value different aspects.  

12 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

It’s pretty inexpensive and simple to replace a button on a Vita. Not as easy (or expensive) as driving to a local store and picking up a full controller replacement, but controller buttons shouldn’t be so poorly manufactured that people think it’s great to be able to buy replacements because they plan on them breaking.

I would think the best feature of a removable controller is that it’s not attached to the screen and should make it a bit more dexterous than being forced to juggle the whole device as well as the potential for third party custom options, but if you think the best thing is just replacing broken ones, I guess different people value different aspects.  

The hardest part to find is replacement joysticks for the 100x series fat vitas. Other than that the system is incredible modular and easy to repair. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

You still have to wait for parts to get mailed to you and this isn't just about Nintendo cutting corners with their JoyCons. People can have food or liquids spill on their devices. I've had a controller get completely destroyed by some type of weird grease for example. Luckily I had a second controller already and just started using that.

My values are about convenience. Anything that can make peoples lives easier I like.

On 02/07/2021 at 0:01 AM, nyarLOLhotep said:
  1. Support
  2. Support
  3. Support
  4. No proprietary bullshit
  5. No proprietary bullshit
  6. No proprietary bullshit

Sony does a really good job of making handhelds. They do a shit job of supporting and promoting them. I think they were on the right track with the PSP and the Vita and integration with the home consoles and all that shit. Tons of stuff that they cooked up for the Vita was brilliant! Shit, tons of stuff that they thought up for the PSP was brillant... I honestly just want them to take the logical next steps from the Vita generation. 

This along with what @Helyx and @xh117 said.

Use regular sd cards for memory, include  L2/R2 buttons, and allow multiple accounts and keep backwards compatibility for PSP and Vita digital games like they did with PSP/Vita. 

I'd also like an easy way to connect to a TV. I own a Vita TV but they're rare and overpriced now. 

And most importantly, actually support the damn thing outside Japan (where it did great.)

Obviously current generation technology, but honestly the above matters to me more. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not against the idea of another Sony handheld but I would only buy one under a few strict conditions. The most important one being actual support from Sony in the form of games, big games at that. I'd need a list of confirmed titles long before release to even consider a purchase. And not just for the system's first year, I'd want some sort of guarantee of long-term support. A show of support from third parties would also go a long way. 

In terms of actual specs:

- R2/L2 buttons 

- Non-proprietary memory cards 

- Great screen, OLED maybe 

- Decent battery life 

- Integration with PS5 (remote play etc.) 

- Full range of media apps (Netflix, YouTube etc.)

- Decent web browser 

- Less than €300, preferably around the €250 mark

In terms of power, I'd be happy with graphics that are close to that of PS4 games although that might be just a little unrealistic.

I wouldn't need a dock system like the Switch, for me that would defeat the point of it being a handheld. I have my PS4 and PS5 for home gaming. I'd specifically want this for on the move gaming. 

In all honesty though, I think another handheld isn't really necessary. Nintendo rule in the dedicated space, and mobile is king everywhere else. I don't know how great the demand would actually be, unless they can make a really enticing device at a super attractive price point. It sounds like Sony will be focusing on the mobile space going forward so I can't ever see them entering the dedicated handheld space again.

On 7/3/2021 at 10:59 PM, Cryogenicide_X said:

They won't make a PS Vita 2 no but they keep making PSVR though. 

You make this sound like a bad thing? I get that a lot of people would love to see another handheld from Sony, but a lot of people also really enjoy VR. It doesn't have to be one or the other, there's room for both. It's a little ironic because it sounds like you're criticising Sony for actually supporting the PSVR, something they didn't do with the Vita and got flak for as a result. I think it's amazing to see Sony throwing so much support behind VR and to see them doubling down on it. There's still new games coming out for it all the time. Sony doesn't often throw that kind of support behind most of their systems/accessories outside of their main consoles, so I don't think they should be criticised when they do. 

• Like 1

I think its crazy they haven't done another handheld. I'm pretty sure it would make more money than the PSVR, I don't even know anyone that uses one. I would love a new Vita if i could get one but they are too expensive. Vita 2 with a dock for TV, back compatible, PS Now support, day 1 purchase. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

I think its crazy they haven't done another handheld. I'm pretty sure it would make more money than the PSVR, I don't even know anyone that uses one. I would love a new Vita if i could get one but they are too expensive. Vita 2 with a dock for TV, back compatible, PS Now support, day 1 purchase. 

Agreed. PS VR was a huge waste of money for me. I got so much more mileage out of my Vita, I still play it to this day. Played Guacamelee on my PS3, went to my family's house and downloaded the Cloud save and resumed where I left off. Vita was ahead of it's time. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

I'm not against the idea of another Sony handheld but I would only buy one under a few strict conditions. The most important one being actual support from Sony in the form of games, big games at that. I'd need a list of confirmed titles long before release to even consider a purchase. And not just for the system's first year, I'd want some sort of guarantee of long-term support. A show of support from third parties would also go a long way. 

In terms of actual specs:

- R2/L2 buttons 

- Non-proprietary memory cards 

- Great screen, OLED maybe 

- Decent battery life 

- Integration with PS5 (remote play etc.) 

- Full range of media apps (Netflix, YouTube etc.)

- Decent web browser 

- Less than €300, preferably around the €250 mark

In terms of power, I'd be happy with graphics that are close to that of PS4 games although that might be just a little unrealistic.

I wouldn't need a dock system like the Switch, for me that would defeat the point of it being a handheld. I have my PS4 and PS5 for home gaming. I'd specifically want this for on the move gaming. 

In all honesty though, I think another handheld isn't really necessary. Nintendo rule in the dedicated space, and mobile is king everywhere else. I don't know how great the demand would actually be, unless they can make a really enticing device at a super attractive price point. It sounds like Sony will be focusing on the mobile space going forward so I can't ever see them entering the dedicated handheld space again.

You make this sound like a bad thing? I get that a lot of people would love to see another handheld from Sony, but a lot of people also really enjoy VR. It doesn't have to be one or the other, there's room for both. It's a little ironic because it sounds like you're criticising Sony for actually supporting the PSVR, something they didn't do with the Vita and got flak for as a result. I think it's amazing to see Sony throwing so much support behind VR and to see them doubling down on it. There's still new games coming out for it all the time. Sony doesn't often throw that kind of support behind most of their systems/accessories outside of their main consoles, so I don't think they should be criticised when they do. 

Believe me I'm not speaking bad about Sony and the PSVR. I just mean that with all the money they put into it, it would be nice if they did that for another handheld console. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Believe me I'm not speaking bad about Sony and the PSVR. I just mean that with all the money they put into it, it would be nice if they did that for another handheld console. 

Absolutely agree with you. Sony's lack of support for the Vita was embarrassing, especially after the success of the PSP. They just didn't care about it at all, that was pretty evident. It's a fantastic piece of hardware, it was just let down by the software.

It looks like they learned some lessons with the PSVR and it's great to see them supporting it to this day, even though from a commercial aspect it isn't hugely successful. They could have easily dumped it like they did the Vita. It gives me a little hope that if they ever did make another handheld, then they would show the same kind of love and support for it, even if it isn't too successful straight away.  

• Like 1

I suppose the smartest thing would be to make something with comparable stats (not exact, bit lower) to the PS5 so it can function as a PS5 on the go and all that. 

19 hours ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Handhelds are seen as a dead end of sorts, up to you if rightly or wrongly. VR is seen as something that if it takes off, and it could, can make them a lot of money. That is why they're up for risking a load of money on PSVR but won't on a Vita 2. Though if one ever comes... may want to just call it the PSP3. Vita was a break from Sony's naming convention and it was a mistake... heck, even something like PSP5, or PSPFIVE, which would get made fun of would be a better name than Vita. 

• Like 1

As like many others have stated,

multiple account sign in at least two would be good (saves me from having to wipe my second PS Vita and sign in with a different account to self-boost certain online trophies) 

In addition to this Primary PS Vita mode so if you buy games from other foreign storefronts you can use it on your main account on PS Vita 2 just like you can do with PS4 now.

Backwards compatible with PlayStation Vita cartridges and digital content, as well as PSP, PS1 the PS2 to PS4 programme to be brought to PS Vita 2 as well, and PlayStation Now to be brought to PS Vita 2 with PS Vita titles added to PlayStation Now to be used on PS Vita 2. 

5G capable sim version so I can just put my mobile phone sim in there and use its data also this feature should be unlocked to all mobile network providers and not exclusive to just one like they did last time. 

No proprietary memory cards or charging ports. 

Charging should also have a wireless charging option too a handy back up for broken ports. 

Balance of great power, portability and battery life. I like the size of the current PS Vita either original or slim if they can keep it around there whilst balancing out the other features that would be great.

Also for Multiplayer if it is to be added to games to all support both Ad-Hoc and Online network features with trophies, DLC and other features to work in both modes. 

and most of all support for the system with 100% commitment. 

Edited by Solercide

• 2 weeks later...

Like @The Alchemist said, support is the issue.  It can have whatever specs but it needs to have a great library.  No idea how technically feasible it is, but given Sony's piss-poor efforts at supporting the Vita after the first year, I wonder if a Vita successor would have to be able to play PS4 games - maybe not the big ones, but the smaller ones - just to have a chance of support.

EDIT: even now, most of the titles I buy for the Vita are PS4 cross-buy, because Sony no long has sales on Vita titles.  Bugger off!

Edited by stork77

On 2021-07-02 at 1:11 AM, Helyx said:

Multiple accounts per device & backwards compatibility with Vita (also PS1, PS2 & PSP).

MicroSD memory (no proprietary shit).

I second this entirely and add in support as well. Sony called the Vita a legacy console within the first year of its release and any Sony branded game they released with bugs never ever got patched or fixed.

On 7/28/2021 at 6:17 AM, Rozalia1 said:

Though if one ever comes... may want to just call it the PSP3.

They should. Sony's use of PS2, PS3, etc. has been a good thing. Why did they have to go with a totally different name for the PSP's successor? It makes less sense than Microsoft using the name Xbox One for their third console.

One other idea I played with just now is a portable version of the base PS4, just watered down some (with resolution limited to 720p, like an undocked Switch). Unlike the Switch, one problem is that it'd have to be digital only... I sure wouldn't want to tote around Blu-ray discs. The HDD could be replaced with a internal SSD (256 GB?) and mSDXC cards as external storage. Sony could then put an emulator in the firmware to run PSP and Vita games, and also add a USB port for controllers.

On 27/07/2021 at 11:17 AM, GUDGER666 said:

Vita’s are only €100-120 with box and all accessories on Ebay. You can find them on Amazon too.