You’re only allowed to play one genre for the rest of your gaming life…

DrBloodmoney

I'm torn between VNs and JRPGs.

A lot of my favorite stories have come from VNs, there's tons of them, they span pretty much every genre of fiction, there's tons of really creative things people do with the medium to keep things interesting, there may eventually be new Utawarerumono games... naming VN as a genre kind of feels like cheating.

JRPGs are just wonderful. Sometimes they can be big, ridiculous and stupid as hell (in the best possible way). Sometimes they can epic and inspiring. Sometimes they can be Final Fantasy VI. I also really like a good grind, finding secret weapons that completely break the game, min/maxing and exploring every corner of every dungeon. Not fishing though. Fuck fishing. They also usually have the best music that's not made by Akira Yamaoka.

Edited by nyarLOLhotep
Fuck fishing.
  • Like 2

Rhythm Games. No other genre gives me quite the same release of pent-up energy and stress while allowing me to escape whatever is on my mind temporarily. Plus, I get to interact with my favorite songs at an intimate level that is second only to playing them on actual instruments.

• Like 4

I'd personally choose RPGs. If I need to be more specific, turn-based RPGs. I find myself losing hours in them and at least I could still play games like Pokemon, Persona, older FFs, Bravely Default, Undertale, Mother, Earthbound, Digimon, Paper Marios, Fire Emblem, Disgaea, etc.

I guess my only worry is that the genre will go instinct, but at least I can still go back to my old games and do pokemon nuzlockes, stat boost in Disgaea to beat superbosses, or something like that.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Carol said:

Definitely stealth. All the games that I love have a stealth element, even if a mild one. A game without a stealth option just can never fully satisfy me.

Sneaking through an area and accomplishing objectives, without being detected and without killing any enemies is an amazing feeling that no other genre can replicate.

I'd likely go with this as well.  So many great stealth games out there - Splinter Cell, Metal Gear, Tenchu, Aragami, Dishonored, The Last Of Us, Assassin's Creed, Hitman - all these games give you the choice of "ghosting" your way through most areas, or going Rambo on the enemies (though this won't work as well on Hitman or Splinter Cell).  But, sneaking into an area, doing what you have to do, and getting out without the enemies ever knowing you were there is a great accomplishment.  Definitely takes more skill than simply murdering everyone in your path.

• Like 3