You’re only allowed to play one genre for the rest of your gaming life…

DrBloodmoney

If you look at my PSN profile, you'll find that I've played games that feature stealth elements. So, obviously stealth. Deus Ex, Metal Gear Solid, Shadow of Mordor, Mafia 3, Mark of the Ninja, Watch Dogs, Shadwen, and I have yet to play Alien Isolation and Aragami. :awesome:

• Like 2

I'm such a variety focused gamer so that's a very difficult question. In my younger years it'd be incredibly easy to say MMOs because obviously being massive time sinks you can dedicate your life to just one xD but I cut those out of my life for that very reason, I was dedicating my life to them and I genuinely had a bit of an addiction of sorts.

My favourite genre is Hack & Slash or Action-RPGs so that's probably my selection but I think if I could only play those games I would probably burn out.

Another option could be Shooters because they're a fairly safe and prevelent genre and they can have some diversity among them with subgenres and hybrids with other game genres etc. so I could probably still get at least some of that variety fix. Plus I'd probably get pretty good and theres plenty of Shooter games with competitive scenes so I could always take advantage of the fact if I 'git gud' I can still be challenged. Obviously Fighting games would be another option for that high skill ceiling esports vibe but I just don't enjoy those enough to play solely those games.

I don't know... one of them.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Sports!

Well, FIFA mainly. I mean its the same shit every year, but it never gets boring... how do they do that?

I actually swapped over from PC gaming cause I wanted to play FIFA20 on console. Nearly 1000 hours was logged, wow.

Best part was I forgot to go back to my PC, and now I'm a staple of this fine community. Go Sports!

• Like 1

Yeah, I’d have to go with Sports games too as it will be what I play most often when I eventually drop trophy hunting.

But open-world sandbox games and action-adventure (3rd-person shooters/platformers) are high on the list too.  As are Racing/Driving games.  My favorite racing games have an open-world component to them (The Crew series)!

But it’s got to be Sports games as that was my main played genre before and during trophy hunting and will likely be after. 

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1

Tough question! I love variety, and so I think I’d get sick of any genre if it was all I could play for the remainder of my life, no matter how beloved.

But for the sake of the thread, I guess I’ll go with RPGs, particularly those of the medieval/fantasy and open world variety. It’s been one of my favourite genres since forever, and I love getting lost in a sprawling world with a deep story at its core and slowly building up my character into a bad ass hero. 

Easy! Horror! With that I get to enjoy a nice mix of horror comedy, stealth, survival, shooter, walking sim, puzzle, all with the added adrenaline rush and heart pump that scary games give me, or the odd squeal if something unexpectantly terrifies me which is followed by my own laughter thatthe bloody thing made me jump I love it 😆! No other genre can give me that wonderful rollercoaster of mad fantastic feelings! 😂💜

• Like 1

I had to think for a second. The are a few genres I like a lot. But the more I thought, the more obvious the answer was.

Platformers, easily.

3D platform games like Spyro, 2D ones like Celeste, or even 3D first person perspective games like Mirror's Edge - anything will do. A good moveset + a well designed level + banger music is a recipe that makes my brain produce the perfect chemical mixes. 

Probably the Adventure Narrative games like Life is Strange and Heavy Rain. They can have a tonne of genres like horror with Until Dawn and detective with Wolf Among Us. All while having a fairly basic and universal gameplay style.

I'd just have to hope that more people make them outside of the current 5: Quantic Dream, Don't Nod, Telltale, SuperMassive and Deck Nine

• Like 2

Easy - RPG

Tons of games splash in RPG elements to their gameplay. Shooters, hack & slash, platformers, even racing games. You'd have a buffet that spanned the entire gaming spectrum.

I'd say fighting games. I wouldn't say I like the genre in general... It's actually hard to say whether I like the genre or not. I like the idea of it, how complicated these games are. Individual games, not so much for one reason or another.

I like one game from that genre. I've played it for the past few years and it would give me literally endless enjoyment, provided enough people in the "one genre" scenario also chose fighting games and that game specifically. 

I almost chose Soulslike because out of single player genres (and I won't consider fighting games a single player genre until a proper AI is implemented in them), Soulslikes are the most engaging to me, but they're also very similar to each other. There's way more similarity between these games than there are between different characters in Tekken. In a way, different players - good or bad - playing with the same character are different Soulslikes. Same enjoyable shit all over again. But when you're tired of playing against one character, you can switch to a few dozen others. With Soulslikes, you can switch to Sekiro and that's it.