GTA Online

Stands_Johns

Hello,

The recent announcement of the shutdown of  the GTA 5 servers on PS3 and Xbox 360 caught a lot of people by surprise as this game still have a lot of players online.

GTA 5 is literally the most played online game on the PS3 and Xbox 360, with thousands of people playing online every day, so I think it's very wrong to shut down servers that fast, especially given that so many other older games and with fewer players still have online support.

This is also a very delicate situation because many players of GTA Online on PS3 and Xbox 360 cannot afford to buy a PS4 or Xbox One. Several of these people just got a PS3 or Xbox 360 recently to play GTA Online, so this news of servers shutdown is sad and disappointing for them.

Please everyone, sign and share this petition against the GTA Online servers shutdown and please write to Rockstar through their official feedback site asking them to keep open the GTA Online servers on PS3 and Xbox 360.

Abaixo-assinado · www.rockstargames.com/: Dont Shutdown Gta5 Online · Change.org

GTA Online - Rockstar Games

Even if you are not an active GTA Online player or do not believe in petitions, please help the GTA Online community, your help is very important.

21 minutes ago, Sergen said:

This won't work and it's full of modders that ruin the game, move on and play the superior PS4 and upcoming PS5 versions, save this energy for games that only have one version of the game available. If you're a trophy hunter who needs the online trophies before the shutdown then as long as you have "Run Like The Wind" then the rest of the trophies are easily doable before December 16th.

It hasn't had a content update on PS3 since 2015 so I honestly think that they've been very generous for keeping the online servers up for over 6 years since then, they could have easily said "we're not making content now so we'll shut the servers as well" back then.

I never said it would work for sure, most important it's about trying because there is always a small chance that it could work.

As for hackers, this cannot be used as an excuse. Hackers exist on all platforms, it's Rockstar's fault for not banning them.

But most important, it's a lot of arrogance of yours to suggest to move on to PS4 or PS5, when I already made it clear in my initial post that many players do not have the money to buy a PS4 or Xbox One.

I suggest you to get out of your bubble and your country of rich people, and go to the 3rd world countries to see people that work hard and in bad conditions for their money and those people also deserve to have a chance to have fun.

Edited by Stands_Johns
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Stands_Johns said:

I never said it would work for sure, most important it's about trying because there is always a small chance that it could work.

As for hackers, this cannot be used as an excuse. Hackers exist on all platforms, it's Rockstar's fault for not banning them.

But most important, it's a lot of arrogance of yours to suggest that they will play on PS4 or PS5, when I already made it clear in my initial post that many players do not have the money to buy a PS4 or Xbox One.

I suggest you to get out of your bubble and your country of rich people, and go to the 3rd world countries to see people that work hard and in bad conditions for their money and those people also deserve to have a chance to have fun.

If you live in a third world country with bad conditions then I think your concerns probably shouldn't be about an online server for an 8 year old game... At the end of the day there are options available which allow you to continue playing GTA V without the lag, modders and with more content available. If you're gonna try, I also suggest improving your grammar in the petition description, you wrote it in English so you should try to improve that before trying to get the attention of a big corporate company that only cares about money and not about the players. You have the USA as a country on the PSN so I never got any indication that you're someone who lives in a third world country and is struggling to get a PS4, I mean the computer you're using to post on PSNProfiles probably costs as much as a PS4 in the USA. You have 2 forum posts so you're gonna have a hard time even convincing the community of PSNProfiles to sign your petition, let alone Rockstar fixing the server for their most dead version of GTA Online.

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 3

It doesn't matter how many people sign a petition or email Rockstar; they're not going to keep GTA V online on PS3 past their announced shutdown date.  It is a little strange that they're shutting this game down yet keeping GTA IV online, but then, IV isn't running on multiple consoles and it probably requires minimal, if any, work on Rockstar's part at this point.

As for shutting it down "that fast", we're getting more than 6 months' notice, which is plenty of time to finish up the trophies or whatever else you want to do.  Some devs just pull the plug on their servers with no warning at all.  And for those players who, as you said, " just got a PS3 or Xbox 360 recently to play GTA Online", well, the fact is that they'll just have to find another game to play.  There are literally thousands out there to choose from.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sergen said:

If you live in a third world country with bad conditions then I think your concerns probably shouldn't be about an online server for an 8 year old game... At the end of the day there are options available which allow you to continue playing GTA V without the lag, modders and with more content available. If you're gonna try, I also suggest improving your grammar in the petition description, you wrote it in English so you should try to improve that before trying to get the attention of a big corporate company that only cares about money and not about the players. You have the USA as a country on the PSN so I never got any indication that you're someone who lives in a third world country and is struggling to get a PS4, I mean the computer you're using to post on PSNProfiles probably costs as much as a PS4 in the USA. You have 2 forum posts so you're gonna have a hard time even convincing the community of PSNProfiles to sign your petition, let alone Rockstar fixing the server for their most dead version of GTA Online.

First: I didn't create that petition so I can't make grammar corrections. ?

Second: I said that there is people that live in third world countries, not that I am one of them.

Overall, I understand and respect your position but the thing with GTA Online for PS3 and Xbox 360 is that unlike other old games that have few players and it makes perfect sense to close the servers, GTA Online still has thousands of players on PS3 and Xbox 360 and it seems wrong to me to close the servers with so many people playing.

• Like 1

If the sheer number of current players that they have all the data for haven’t convinced them to keep an online portion of a game open, then randos signing a petition who don’t even play the game aren’t going to convince them to keep it open.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Stands_Johns said:

First: I didn't create that petition so I can't make grammar corrections. 1f605.png

Second: I said that there is people that live in third world countries, not that I am one of them.

Overall, I understand and respect your position but the thing with GTA Online for PS3 and Xbox 360 is that unlike other old games that have few players and it makes perfect sense to close the servers, GTA Online still has thousands of players on PS3 and Xbox 360 and it seems wrong to me to close the servers with so many people playing.

Why keep the servers open when hackers are taking away shark card sales from them? Seems pretty obvious why they're choosing to close the servers

GTA V is closing in on 150 million units sold. A few thousand active players on PS3 and 360 isn't going to change their mind about closing the servers. Hell, even if it was a million active players for those platforms that would still be a drop in the ocean for Rockstar. Most of the revenue comes from the PS4/X1 versions as that's where the overwhelming majority plays. I get it, there are people without the means who are still stuck on PS3/360, or maybe they've only just picked up one of those systems. But those people can't expect the rest of the world to wait around for them. PS3 is 14 years old and the 360 is 15 years old. GTA V itself is 8 years old. Rockstar already stopped supporting the game on those platforms years ago when they stopped adding new content so you could say that the game was effectively dead already, long before the servers were due to close. Rockstar still kept the servers up though, and they've given plenty of notice about the server closure, so I think overall they've been fair about it. And these kind of petitions never, ever work so I don't know why people even waste their time and energy with them. If I'm being completely honest, it's also more than a little cringe to see sites like change.org being used for crap like this all the time. Just suck it up and move on 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stands_Johns said:

Hello,

The recent announcement of the shutdown of  the GTA 5 servers on PS3 and Xbox 360 caught a lot of people by surprise as this game still have a lot of players online.

Actually, I'd be willing to bet there are more people that are surprised the servers are still up and running some 6-7 years after they stopped supporting the game.

GTA 5 is literally the most played online game on the PS3 and Xbox 360, with thousands of people playing online every day, so I think it's very wrong to shut down servers that fast, especially given that so many other older games and with fewer players still have online support.

They gave you just over six months of advance notice.  Most games give a few weeks at most, and many don't give any notice at all.  I think everyone can name a game they played online one day only to find out the servers were permanently gone the next.   You have six months to prepare accordingly by either earning trophies, simply enjoying what's left of the game, or finding something new to play. 

This is also a very delicate situation because many players of GTA Online on PS3 and Xbox 360 cannot afford to buy a PS4 or Xbox One. Several of these people just got a PS3 or Xbox 360 recently to play GTA Online, so this news of servers shutdown is sad and disappointing for them.

I mean absolutely no disrespect at all as I don't know your financial situation, but if that's the case, the fact that a nearly 10 year old game is closing in six months should be the least of your concerns.   And from R*'s point of view.....if your financial situation is like that, then the chances of people in your situation supporting the company by buying shark cards is extremely low.  Simply put, they have absolutely no incentive to keep the servers on for you.   They are a business, and they are trying to maximize profits.  They have likely determined that ceasing support for the PS3 is in their financial best interests, and a handful of foreign players who do not contribute to their bottom line is not going to sway them. 

Please everyone, sign and share this petition against the GTA Online servers shutdown and please write to Rockstar through their official feedback site asking them to keep open the GTA Online servers on PS3 and Xbox 360.

Abaixo-assinado · www.rockstargames.com/: Dont Shutdown Gta5 Online · Change.org

GTA Online - Rockstar Games

Even if you are not an active GTA Online player or do not believe in petitions, please help the GTA Online community, your help is very important.

Good luck with that.  That said, you're going to be hard-pressed to find much support around here.  This is a trophy hunters' site.  The hackers have thrown GTA's online trophies into a gray area where people who are earning trophies illegitimately can't be punished without getting even more legitimate players caught up in the mess.  The impending server shutdown will render the entire issue moot, curing several of the CRT's headaches. 

Again, you've got six months.  That's plenty of time to enjoy the game, earn whatever trophies you want if that's your thing, and find something new to play. 

They are likely shutting it down because GTA V is coming to PS5 end of the year, so no need for the servers to remain on PS3/Xbox 360 if it's still available on PS4/Xbox One and coming PS5 later this year. I don't see anything wrong with them shutting the servers down for those platforms, they are 8 years old and anyone complaining should really blame themselves for not finishing the online during all that time.

On 4/7/2021 at 7:19 PM, Am4z1n9_AZ said:

They are likely shutting it down because GTA V is coming to PS5 end of the year, so no need for the servers to remain on PS3/Xbox 360 if it's still available on PS4/Xbox One and coming PS5 later this year.

It's also a matter of content, the online of ps3 now have the half of the heists and missions. Also it's full of hacker and they don't try to fight them. PC and ps4 online are more enjoyable and on old console is now a rare case that someone start online to keep play for long or pay microtransactions. The effort to keep up ps3 servers don't pay. 

I don't see anything wrong with them shutting the servers down for those platforms, they are 8 years old and anyone complaining should really blame themselves for not finishing the online during all that time.

I agree, i'm one of them. I started it, but didn't finish it. Now i reastarted, but i think there is enought time to do the online without big problems (clearly if you have done "run like wild" trophy before they remove it)

Edited by verorip

Pretty sure their reasoning was that some of the new stuff in the PS5 version needs an upgrade to the Rockstar social club, which would make it incompatible with some of the older games, ergo the shutdown.

If keeping the PS3 version online means a crappier PS5 version, I doubt there’s many people lining up for that trade off.

Edited by KingGuy420

• 1 month later...
On 4.07.2021 at 4:19 PM, Sergen said:

This won't work and it's full of modders that ruin the game, move on and play the superior PS4 and upcoming PS5 versions, save this energy for games that only have one version of the game available

Personally I don't understand the logic of suggesting to play GTA on PS4 for someone who owns it on PS3 already. What is the purpose of purchasing the same game 2nd time? Sounds dumb to me

5 minutes ago, Yami_no_Seitaro said:

Personally I don't understand the logic of suggesting to play GTA on PS4 for someone who owns it on PS3 already. What is the purpose of purchasing the same game 2nd time? Sounds dumb to me

Because the PS3 version is behind the PS4 version by 6 years in terms of updates. The PS3 version is full of modders in most lobbies that grief other people, the PS4 version doesn't have them ruining the game for everyone in their lobbies. The PS4 version has a better frame rate, better servers, faster loading times. The PS4 version's servers will still be up after December 16th, 2021 and the PS3 version is shutting down. Need I say more? GTA Online on both platforms is very different and anyone who wants to continue playing it still has many months to adapt and move on to the PS4 version instead of sticking with the archaic troll ridden broken PS3 version.

Edited by Sergen

1 minute ago, Sergen said:

Because the PS3 version is behind the PS4 version by 6 years in terms of updates. The PS3 version is full of modders in most lobbies that grief other people, the PS4 version doesn't have them ruining the game for everyone in their lobbies. The PS4 version has a better frame rate, better servers, faster loading times. The PS4 version's servers will still be up after December 16th, 2021 and the PS3 version is shutting down. Need I say more? GTA Online on both platforms is very different and anyone who wants to continue doing it still has many months to adapt and move on to the PS4 version instead of sticking with the archaic troll ridden broken PS3 version.

If you really care about online mode that much, and Rockstar supporting it as much as possible, then just move to Steam lol. PS4 version of GTA Online will eventually die too. Are you gonna recommend "just move to PS5" too?

8 minutes ago, Yami_no_Seitaro said:

If you really care about online mode that much, and Rockstar supporting it as much as possible, then just move to Steam lol. PS4 version of GTA Online will eventually die too. Are you gonna recommend "just move to PS5" too?

Sure if that's the way to keep on playing it, when the game is no-longer playable on one platform but still has alternative ways to keep playing it then the person can move on and play the newer improved version. If anyone wants to keep playing the PS3 version of GTA V for fun then they're doing themselves a disservice and probably a masochist, or they're one of the modders who takes great pleasure in ruining the game for everyone else.

10 minutes ago, Yami_no_Seitaro said:

Many gamers, myself included, are quite happy being console gamers who don't see the need to play on Steam too.  I played GTA V on PS3 and PS4, and got the platinum both times, but I will not be playing it again on PS5.  I'm finished with that game, and I'm in no great hurry for GTA VI to come out either.

And the Steam version of GTAO will eventually be killed off as well. Perhaps not for a long time, but it will happen.  Nothing lasts forever.

13 minutes ago, StewartBros said:

Many gamers, myself included, are quite happy being console gamers who don't see the need to play on Steam too.  I played GTA V on PS3 and PS4, and got the platinum both times, but I will not be playing it again on PS5.  I'm finished with that game, and I'm in no great hurry for GTA VI to come out either.

And the Steam version of GTAO will eventually be killed off as well. Perhaps not for a long time, but it will happen.  Nothing lasts forever.

GTA Online will die on Steam at the same time as the GTA Online on the last gen, whichever gen will this game reach before Rockstar finally will let the game die.
That's why Steam is the best option to play the online mode, you only pay for the game once.
I'm expecting GTA Online to outlive PS5 gen, as for the PS6, it's too early to tell.

21 minutes ago, Sergen said:

Sure if that's the way to keep on playing it, when the game is no-longer playable on one platform but still has alternative ways to keep playing it then the person can move on and play the newer improved version. If anyone wants to keep playing the PS3 version of GTA V for fun then they're doing themselves a disservice and probably a masochist, or they're one of the modders who takes great pleasure in ruining the game for everyone else.

Again, the part of moving from one version to another and being required to pay is the worst thing to suggest. It's like saying EA is doing nothing wrong by releasing Fifa each year.
At least this time Rockstar did the right thing, and is offering free upgrade from ps4 to ps5 version, so it's not that bad.
But ps3 owners weren't so lucky, as I can't find any information of upgrading gtav from ps3 to ps4 ever being free. It's a big no no to buy the game twice just for the online mode differences.

I don’t recommend playing GTA Online on Steam. A couple friends of mine quit because the PC version is rife with hackers. Things like kill switches, mods that enable players to shoot thru walls, auto-aim bots, and campers that are literally impossible to kill because they are cheating have ruined the game. 

Rockstar is trying to rid the hackers on the PC, but it’s a constant uphill battle. Plenty of internet articles have addressed this problem. 

Your best bet is the PS4 version. I don’t see the point in releasing a PS5 version. If Rockstar is greedy enough to make people pay money for the same product, then they ought to do the same with Red Dead Redemption 2. 

Since the PS3 version was abandoned years ago the hackers took over it. I imagine it’s the same story on the Xbox 360. I know that hackers took over the Xbox 360 version of Red Dead Redemption. There’s nothing you can do but move on. 

We should of gotten Grand Theft Auto VI by now. Does anyone remember the planned single player DLC that Rockstar later scrapped for GTA V? That basically set the tone for what we were going to expect out of them. 

As much as I applaud Rockstar for delivering memorable, high quality games, many of their actions these past few years have greatly changed the way I look at them. They became just like all the other massive multi billion dollar corporations. When easy money is involved, it’s very difficult to turn your back on it. That is exactly what they have done. 

We will probably never see a sequel to Bully and Manhunt. Not only because they are more niche, they will require too much time, money and resources for Rockstar to bother. Working on stagnant projects is far easier and much less risky than spending the time to make a highly anticipated game. Hence, why Shark Cards in GTA Online are purely a business decision.

14 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

We will probably never see a sequel to Bully and Manhunt. Not only because they are more niche, they will require too much time, money and resources for Rockstar to bother. Working on stagnant projects is far easier and much less risky than spending the time to make a highly anticipated game. Hence, why Shark Cards in GTA Online are purely a business decision.

Here's the problem

GTAV currently makes over a billion dollars a year.  And it's an 8+ year old game.  It is by far the most profitable single game in the history of the industry, and it isn't even close.   The next closest is the COD franchise, that collectively has made $9.7 billion.  But that's for the *franchise*, not a single game.  GTAV alone almost has that franchise beat.

They put out very few real updates.  Maintenance is low.  And despite the fact that the PC, PS3, and XBox 360 versions have all been long since taken over by hackers and all but abandoned by R*, they *still* make more money than the overwhelming majority of games out there.  They are literally making maximum money for minimal effort.  

The problem is that to make a GTAVI single player, or Bully II, or whatever new sequel they want to come up with, you're talking about years of investment of tens of millions of dollars to develop a game that is very likely to barely make a fraction of what GTAV online makes.   From a financial perspective, it just doesn't make sense.  Why spend all that time and all those resources to come up with that when they can just sit back and continue to print all the money with GTAV online?  It's why the GTA single player DLC was cancelled.  It just didn't make financial sense.

And as long as that continues to hold true, R* will continue putting all their eggs in GTAV online's basket.  And we have no reason to believe that the income that GTAV online generates is going to slow down any time soon.   Say what you will, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities that GTAV could very easily survive until the PS6 is released.  You may think that sounds silly, but you'd have been laughed out of the room in 2013 if you had said that GTAV would survive the entire PS4 generation, be re-released on the PS5, and *still* make more money than every other game out there in 2021.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 11.08.2021 at 7:48 PM, The-Man-In-Black said:

It's why the GTA single player DLC was cancelled.  It just didn't make financial sense.

Story DLC were canned sometime in 2014, when GTAO wasn’t such a big deal yet. My guess is the possible reason for that was sacking Benz and the following exodus of some personnel from the North, who decided to join him. Remembering how development of the first online heists needed to be re-started from scratch 3 or 4 times before they finally nailed it more than a year later, and then multiple postponements of PC version release (record wasn't beaten even by Cyberpunk, I believe), it perfectly aligns with their inability to simultaneously work on three big story DLC at the time.