"All's Fair" Tips?

Just have this and the Level 50 trophy left to do. I'd really like to get this legit rather than boost it but it's basically impossible to find anyone doing stranger missions these days. Does anyone have any tips on where the best place to find people doing them is? I've tried hanging out in Rhodes as there are a few there in close proximity, but I had no luck.

Also, if anyone could explain what happened here I'd appreciate it, so next time I don't mess it up when I do finally find someone: Just now, I spotted someone going to the icon at MacFarlane's Ranch, and jumped for joy thinking that I'd struck gold. They started the mission and shot the guards protecting the wagon I guess they were supposed to return to Bonnie, and when they got on the wagon I killed them. I tried to get on the wagon but pressing triangle did nothing. They returned, killed me, then I killed them again and again tried to get on the wagon, but no luck. They killed me again, and this time I let them ride around a bit on the wagon, thinking that maybe I had to wait for an alert to pop up before I could steal the wagon, but none came. I took shots at them every now and then to came them away from the ranch, but after one of the shots I got a negative honour icon saying "Griefing", and their icon disappeared off the map. I went over to the wagon and it was abandoned. I tried getting on and still couldn't. I blew up the wagon and it and the horse went flying, but still nothing happened.

So what happened? Did I screw things up by shooting them too soon? Did they just leave the server? How should I have gone about things?

If I remember correclty, the game will give you a notification that a rival posse has started a mission. Without the notification nothing will happen. I think I also countered the MacFarlane Mission, but that was not possible right at the beginning of the mission. You start at MacFarlane, ride somewhere to pick up something and on the way back the game will notify you, that your mission now can be countered.

I boosted this trophy - on my way to level 50 there was only one chance to counter a rivals mission.