Can we relegate threads about shovelware to some sort of sub-section?

So I was perusing the forums as I do periodically, and I came across a thread about a new challenge version of a Breakthrough Gaming Arcade game. I guess the thread was started because different regions have different patterns so the person wanted to discuss the best way to handle the specific pattern in that version. I quickly read through it out of curiosity and half the posts were people just trolling and the other half were people trying to have an earnest conversation about the nuanced strategy required for a 98% platinum which takes two minutes. And it kind of just hit me that this is the point where we're at now. I've obviously seen many other threads like this and it often turns into a back-and-forth bickering between both sides. Things can get heated and many posts and entire threads get removed.

So here's my solution, though I'm not sure how feasible it actually is. Can we relegate threads about Ratalaika games and the Breakthrough Gaming Arcade games, along with whatever else fits into this category, into some sort of sub-section where they can all be grouped together? I'd personally love the ability to then choose never to see any of the threads that fall into this sub-section when I look through the recent forum posts. I think I'd come off as less of an asshole and fewer of my posts would be removed if I didn't engage in these silly arguments. The only reason I usually comment at all right now is because I just run into so many of them and they completely clutter my forum feed. It's just tiring. And I think it'd actually help both sides. When someone gets all giddy because some 8th stack of a Ratalaika game suddenly appears, they should be able to start a thread discussing their excitement with like-minded individuals without getting completely trolled by people who think this kind of thing is a joke. And when the star guide-makers want to start threads to promote their Youtube channels when they make platinum guides for these 90+% games, they should be able to without getting criticized. Why these sorts of games that could be completed by a blind monkey need guides and strategy threads is beyond me, but hey, I've realized it's not really my place to judge. Yes maybe some trolling will still happen, but I think many people like me would love to just not have to engage with this sort of thing anymore because of how divided and toxic the issue has become. I'm not sure what you would call the sub-section. I'd personally go with "Trash" or something along those lines, but I don't think that'd sit too well with some people. The name is irrelevant at this point and I'm not even sure it's feasible with how the forum section is set up and coded. I personally have no coding or web design experience, but I thought it was an interesting idea to cut back on the work of the moderators and make everyone feel less attacked.

• Like 3

In my head, what you're proposing doesn't make sense. The specific sections of each game exist precisely to discuss that specific game, and having a sub-section entirely dedicated to that "category" (?) wouldn't make sense, what would fit exactly in "shovelware"? well, what is happening is a mass trolling movement by some users, and this could only be solved by adding rules that reduce freedom of speech (which in my opinion is already quite limited in this forum, threads and posts are deleted and locked with huge frequency) furthermore, ironic/sarcastic posts could also be considered offensive so such a rule would only generate more confusion and controversy. I don't see a practical solution to this other than everyone's collaboration and common sense, I believe that eventually trolling will cease because this kind of shovelware game will become so common that people will no longer care about this sort of thing.

57 minutes ago, F1rstinFlight said:

I'd personally go with "Trash" or something along those lines, but I don't think that'd sit too well with some people. The name is irrelevant at this point and I'm not even sure it's feasible with how the forum section is set up and coded. I personally have no coding or web design experience, but I thought it was an interesting idea to cut back on the work of the moderators and make everyone feel less attacked.

So you're suggesting that completely shit games should get their own forums?

Well, it's certainly a great idea and one which I personally agree with.

However, what defines a "Trash" game? Judging by the recent playing habits on this forum there are literally thousands of people each playing these "games", maybe they aren't trash after all, and it is just us that are in the wrong?

I mean, they're probably looking at your trophy list now and thinking lmao, Republique? rofl! Fall Guys, Minecraft?! Hah!

Who would play those expensive games, take you more than 5 minutes to get the platinum, what a waste of all that money.

Now THOSE are the trash games!

• Like 2

We don’t need a separate sub-forum for all the “trash” games, we just need one thread where everybody who wants to argue about those games can do it in peace.

It’s largely the same people having the exact same arguments on every one of those new Breakthrough games. Give them somewhere specific to go and vent and it may take some of the heat off the actual game threads

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

But then how will I so quickly and easily see who I never want to be like if all the threads move to a subcategory off the front page of the website?

Jeez - just put us on your ignore list already if our existence is bothering you so much ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

I don't really look at people's profiles, or block people. And anyway I was being facetious

As was I, mate ?

Don't worry - this thread will be gone forever soon anyways - mark my words ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

The main problem with this is who would categorize what is and isn't shovelware? Is every indie with a quick and easy platinum shovelware? Certainly not. Also, there's still people, probably OP as well, who don't realize that Ratalaika is simply the publisher for consoles and not the developers. Then we have stuff like Life of Black Tiger that Sony itself advertised but it certainly looks like trash. At the end of the day if this was implemented it would likely make more people upset than appeased.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

I think a bigger issue is that "Trophy Thoughts" threads in general are more of a problem because 90% of the time, they don't promote any sort of valid conversation.

Yes! The number of threads where somebody just goes “well??” without actually giving us their own thoughts is so frustrating. Like, does being the first to post give some kind of clout that I’m not aware of?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dakk55 said:

Or....you can just ignore the Shovelware game threads.

You know I've never considered that before, but what a novel idea! You must get paid the big bucks wherever you work. As if I haven't been doing that for the entire time I've been on this site :facepalm:.

10 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

How about a special sub-forum into which all comments and threads that lump Ratalaika games in with Breakthrough games - as if they are of anywhere near the same category - get automatically funnelled?1f644.png 

Or a special place for threads that get started as obvious troll threads designed to be back-handed attacks on other users, but do so under the transparent guise of ‘helping’ the site with ‘suggestions’?

I'm not sure what you would call the sub-section. I'd personally go with "Gauche" or something…

Are you seriously arguing semantics over the difference between two publishers/developers that put out mass amounts of stacks of games that are largely 95+% platinums? That's one high horse you're riding there, buddy. It seems to me you're getting a bit defensive because you have Ratalaika games on your profile but you feel too morally superior to put a Breakthrough game on it. I guess when I group the two together you suddenly feel some type of way because you think I'm putting you in the same category as the people you look down upon. I didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch, but you can take your sardonic bullshit somewhere else.

Did I take some shots at trophy whores? Yeah I did because I get triggered thinking about the current state of the trophy system and this site loves to throw it in your face. Do I also have a sincere desire for both sides to coexist more peacefully and not feel attacked all the time? Yeah I do because I honestly feel like the trophy whores are getting beyond fed up with the amount of crap being thrown their way by people (like myself) who take a more "old-school" approach to trophy/achievement hunting. Two things can be true ?.

10 hours ago, Arcesius said:

If one could toggle OFF games when creating a "activity stream" instead of having to toggle ON all games they want to include into the stream, I think the problem would be somewhat mitigated. However, the people that post in the threads you are mentioning in the OP don't go comment because there are so many of these threads. They go there because that's better entertainment than actually playing the game. 

I don't even know what an activity stream is, but I appreciate your suggestion here because it sounds way more feasible than what I proposed. I guess the issue would be that I have to manually toggle off every single stack of every single trashware game and continue to do this as more get added weekly? That seems like more trouble than it's worth.

And yeah I get that trolling has always been a part of this site and some people just get a kick out of trolling because that's who they are. That happens in every forum and comment section on every website in existence. That's just internet culture for you and demonstrates the power of anonymity. But I have noticed a massive increase more recently in the level of toxicity on here and the number of posts and threads being removed. Maybe this is just a natural cycle of the forums and things will die down with nothing being done. I honestly haven't been around here for too long compared to some people, but I've noticed instances of longtime community members who were very active in the forums completely distance themselves from this site. I'm not exactly sure the reason for these cases because I don't know these people, but I find it interesting as it seems to have coincided with the increase in trashware and resultant toxicity here.

19 minutes ago, F1rstinFlight said:

You know I've never considered that before, but what a novel idea! You must get paid the big bucks wherever you work. As if I haven't been doing that for the entire time I've been on this site :facepalm:.

You clearly don't ignore them though based on your first post

The simple solution is for people to ignore threads about games they don't care about and for the mods to remove trolling posts, doesn't need to be a whole new section because people can't have self control (and I'm speaking as somebody who gets a good laugh out of some of the comments posted in the threads about these games)

• Like 3