Can we relegate threads about shovelware to some sort of sub-section?

6 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

So another site that does value commons at least a point so they show up (while ultra rares make way much more points it means commons can make the tiny difference - after all, a person with more trophies than the other should not be at an unfair disadvantage) isnt doing it right then?

I mean lets say an ultra rare is worth 50 points and a common is one point, that would be fine since it values the UR but still recognizes the common as a trophy.

The common trophies still show up on your profile they just don't get points toward the leaderboard.  Yes this system could factors in less about quantity of trophies and more about quality.  

14 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I feel like UR chasing would be the same - it starts with one or two, then 3 or 4, and before you know it, you are grinding away as the fifth stack of Space Overlords or some such nonsense and not bothering to pick up Sekiro or Dark Souls, because the rarity seems like it isn't worth the hassle...

There's already a branch of hunters that chase ultra rares - it's just that they go by the literal number on their profile vs a point value based leaderboard.

Sure, some new people may get sucked in, just like some will lose interest and stop. I dont think itd be a health devastating as you think

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

There's already a branch of hunters that chase ultra rares - it's just that they go by the literal number on their profile vs a point value based leaderboard.

Sure, some new people may get sucked in, just like some will lose interest and stop. I dont think itd be a health devastating as you think

You could be right - certainly - though I really think it would be more dramatic an effect than you assume.

The current board didn't start out having the effect it has now - it happened over time - and a lot of the people currently stacking nonsense at the expense of good stuff I would bet would have - at some point in the past - scoffed at the idea of doing so.

Of course - I am arguing a point of potential issue - not one that can be proven or disproven, so whether you agree or not is largely down to point of view - I totally get that - I'm really just bringing it up because there seems to be a bit of a false notion coming out on this thread that the only people arguing against a rarity board are EZPZ stackers, and people who would not place better on one than they do on the current board.

I know I would place better on a rarity board than the current one - I have PSNTL to prove that - I place far higher on all 3 'Alt' boards than their main one - but this is the way I feel about the issue, and I feel - in some weird sense - obliged to put that point of view across, because it feels like a lot of folks arguing against such a board are getting called out as being 'craven and cynical' in their motives.

I hope you understand that by having the opinions I have, I am not attacking those who have the counter-view, and are arguing it - I'm just disagreeing... or, at least, having reservations about it.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

Just now, AJ_-_808 said:

also i'd add people chasing these game will be sorry because they won't be ultra for long if there is a leaderboard for them.  The easy ones will get very rare or possibly rare real quick i'd bet.  Also some of these easy game are also great games like PUBG I had a blast playing it.  it's easy because it's 90% bots now days but its also a pretty good shooter at its core and it was a lot of fun.  I've came across quite a few hidden gems hunting ultras down more than I can say for breakthrough games. 

17 minutes ago, Maaden_Swe said:

So, can we put the posts of whining kids who complain about what other people play into a sub section so I dont have to read it?

4 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Please tell me this isn't a response to the actual OP 9 pages ago

The original post was a troll thread - destined to be deleted.

The community has usurped it, and turned it into an actual conversation.

It's a thing of Socratic beauty - and one to be lauded.

The Mods should - in all honesty - rename the thread, and delete the original few pages.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The original post was a troll thread - destined to be deleted.

The community has usurped it, and turned it into an actual conversation.

It's a thing of Socratic beauty - and one to be lauded.

I actually completely agree. The OP was suggesting something kind of outrageous, and I much prefer where this has all gone since then

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You could be right - certainly - though I really think it would be more dramatic an effect than you assume 

I AM right. I have to be because humanity is doomed otherwise.

But seriously, I see your point and I can only hope on more right than you are - for said health reasons.

My opinion is based off my experience- I dabbled in the current leaderboard for a little while and watched my rank go up as I climbed through dead accounts.  After a while I realized it was pointless because the top accounts simply have more time and less life priorities than me (or are team accounts running 24/7), and I said f it.

Honestly, I dont care about either leaderboard - I'm just enjoying the debate (sans the sporadic bouts of name calling)

• Like 1

On 07/07/2021 at 2:56 AM, enaysoft said:

But now let's say, if you let yourself get punched in the face, you'd be given a free game, or 100 bucks. Five punches in the face and you'd get a PS5.

How low are you willing to sink to get some free and easy money? Or in this case trophies.

For the record, I'd take 5 punches for a PS5!

2 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

I AM right. I have to be because humanity is doomed otherwise.

But seriously, I see your point and I can only hope on more right than you are - for said health reasons.

Hey - if it ever get's implemented, I hope you're right, and I'm wrong too! 

My opinion is based off my experience- I dabbled in the current leaderboard for a little while and watched my rank go up as I climbed through dead accounts.  After a while I realized it was pointless because the top accounts simply have more time and less life priorities than me (or are team accounts running 24/7), and I said f it.

Same same really - there was a time, many years ago now, that I was in the top 70ish for my country rank - and ever since, I've just been slowly watching it collapse like a flan in a cupboard.

Honestly, I dont care about either leaderboard - I'm just enjoying the debate (sans the sporadic bouts of name calling)

Debate is good ?

It's particularly fun when we all know it will never lead to anything anyways ?

There is about as much chance of a Rarity Leaderboard here as there is of any of the other suggested changes ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ_-_808 said:

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Same same really - there was a time, many years ago now, that I was in the top 70ish for my country rank - and ever since, I've just been slowly watching it collapse like a flan in a cupboard.

This feels so familiar.. I was in the top 20 of my national LB, knowing all too well that I never come past a certain point, just because the topmost players had a head start and were willing to shell out money for every easy plat game. With the advent of Rata, SometimesYou and other publishers that went way out of hand, no way I could have kept up. Nor that I was even willing to. I'm ignoring all leaderboards now...
The rarity or any other leaderboards that may come will degenerate sooner or later just like the current ones, as someone will find a way to exploit them to show off

Edited by dcdfan

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I already did.

Multiple times, in fact.

It's on page 4 of this thread, and - helpfully, I highlighted it in blue the second time - HERE

Feel free to read - and to agree or disagree - but don't try to claim there is no neutral or unbiased arguments being made.

Fair point, but that doesn't change my general opinion on the matter as imo the good outweighs the bad by a large margin. 

But I do like to say that I think the other way in regards to the length of a game. Where I think it is more appealing for people to compete on the std leaderboard then on the rarity one, because the games are way shorter.

Something with dopamine. 

I know the thought you have about that the games from ratgames are good. And I do agree, they are not bad. But like 90% of the people (that know these have an easy plat) don't play further then the plat. 

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You could be right - certainly - though I really think it would be more dramatic an effect than you assume.

The current board didn't start out having the effect it has now - it happened over time - and a lot of the people currently stacking nonsense at the expense of good stuff I would bet would have - at some point in the past - scoffed at the idea of doing so.

I think it would have some impact for sure (there were a few of us who played a game like Pox Nora last year for a event here because of rarity points had high value), but I assume it would plateau out somewhere simply because it's not something that the publishers/devs would be able to exploit for sales - which is what's led to the multi-stacking of super easy list scenario. If a trophy list was designed to get sales for a rarity board, it would inherently fail because if it's a bad game that only LB chasers would be interested in buying the rarity would end up high making it pointless... I think ?

There's something to be said for how it would effect the currently-existing games/lists but I can't see it having a huge impact in the same way as the normal LB does overall.