PraiseTheFluppi

What audio language do you select in games?

Original, native or other   29 members have voted

1. 1. What audio language do you select in games?

• Original language
    • Native language (if possible)
    • Other than original or native

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 posts in this topic

I usually stick with the original as long as english subtitles are available. I personally think it sounds better most of the time, and if lip syncing is off I get distracted. Especially with japanese games I feel like the voice acting in english (or german for me) doesn't have this certain 'impact' as the original. But I know people genuinely enjoy english dubs (or any other dubs) and prefer them, so I'd like to hear your opinions! :D

Maybe there are some exceptions, people who pick their favorite language or one they are learning for example? 🤔
An exception for me that comes to mind is resident evil. It's a japanese game, but the characters are american, so the original voice over just doesn't fit very well.

Boy, the “off topic” threads are hitting saturation.

…Native language 

I always pick English unless it’s a Japanese game and it has English subtitles.

I stick with the country it is set in if I can - did Assassins Creed Ezio games in Italian, and A Plague Tale in French and it makes it feel a bit more authentic - though only if it allows English Subtitles at the same time obviously!

3 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I stick with the country it is set in if I can - did Assassins Creed Ezio games in Italian, and A Plague Tale in French and it makes it feel a bit more authentic - though only if it allows English Subtitles at the same time obviously!

Wooooow AC with Ezio would be really cool to play in Italian. I’ve always played it in English, it’s a good dub though. I didn’t even know they were originally in Italian. A Plague’s Tale in English dub has a French accent which I thought was pleasant to listen to. :P

Posted (edited)

36 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

Wooooow AC with Ezio would be really cool to play in Italian. I’ve always played it in English, it’s a good dub though. I didn’t even know they were originally in Italian. 

Oh, no, I’m certain they weren’t originally in Italian - for sure the primary language is English, because that’s where they spent the big bucks on getting Nolan North!

I just went with Italian because I like hearing the authentic sounding language when walking around Rome 😁

Edited by DrBloodmoney

I’m your typical cryptography and linguistics enthusiast, I love identifying patterns, that kind of things (no wonder I turned gamer). Plus I’m also your archetypal French cinephile, who started watching black and white subtitled films at 6, sometimes even films in an unknown language without subtitles.

So, it’s no surprise that I voted ”original language”.

I played the Witcher in Polish, Metro in Russian, Japanese games in Japanese, games from English speaking countries in globish-USAan or proper English, etc., but sometimes the choice isn't that clear cut. For example, I didn't play Ghost of Tsushima, because of Japanese being a bad dub with poor lip sync, and English feeling strange in this particular setting, and I’ll wait for reviews of the ”director’s cut” (sic), as the two seconds of corrected lip sync in the trailer weren’t that convincing (felt extremely mechanical, with no facial adjustments, just the lips moving).

I tried to play AC: Unity in French, but the acting was so bad I switched to English after 15 minutes. French actors have this stupid hierarchy (theatre > cinema > television > advertising > animated films > video games) that lead to that kind of trainwreck, which is a real shame when you know the vitality of both animation and gaming industries over here... I find English speaking actors more professional in that regard: either they take the job or not, but if they do, you get your money’s worth. I’m intrigued by what @DrBloodmoney wrote though, and I’ll try A Plague Tale in French when I get to play it, maybe I’ll have a nice surprise, you never know.

I play games in Japanese so I play mostly in Japanese, both audio and text. If I buy a Western game (not JRPG), like say Detroit become human or Life is strange which has both Japanese and English voice and text options, I choose English as that's the original language of the game. However, I did play the first LiS game in Japanese just to see what it was like. But for JRPGs and games like Yakuza, I go for Japanese. 

All my games are mostly originally Japanese or English, I've not played a game where the original language was not one of these two (I'm fluent in both so play games in the original). But if a game originally French or something, I would choose my native language which is English. 

though i'm french i play my games exclusively in english

Always English (I am from U.K) and always subtitles. However sometimes I am forced to figure things out entirely in Japanese but that’s okay. I’m going there next year maybe I’ll have a few more phrases 🤣

I pick English audio in my games for the most part, but for Japanese games (JRPGs) I mix things up from time to time. Just finished my first playthrough of Scarlet Nexus with Japanese audio, whereas I would normally do English first then Japanese on subsequent playthroughs.

Depends on the game for me.  Normally stick with whatever the default is but for canons that I imported I'll swap to Japanese if that's an option.  I'll also go no audio if the voice acting truly sucks or is available on such a limited basis that it feels like it interferes.

English dub all the way in contemporary computer games.

I've watched Japanese films with English subs, though. That, and I've played games with text dialogue.

Doesn't matter for me. I always have subtitles on anyway as half the time it sounds like mumbling or you may miss-hear dialog. 

I'll generally go with English. With Tokyo Xanadu, you only get Japanese voiceovers- but I don't mind actually. TX gets a pass since it's set in Japan. The subtitles aren't too bad.

As for the more recent Ys and Trails games, it's nice that NISA keeps the Japanese voice work as an option.

I'm a russian, but usually prefer playing in English. There are 2 reasons for that:

1) It helps me with my English.

2) Russian localization very often sucks!

English dub if it has one.  Even in Like a Dragon and Judgment, I used the English dub.  It was odd a first, especially Like a Dragon, but I got used to it.  Playing Yakuza or Tokyo Xanadu, I'm like Kel in that meme, "Hmm, mmhmm.  I know some of those words."

17 hours ago, Just-Petya said:

I'm a russian, but usually prefer playing in English. There are 2 reasons for that:

1) It helps me with my English.

2) Russian localization very often sucks!

I loved playing Metro 2033 with English subs but Russian language. I loved how all the words sounded in Russian as it was a totally new experience for me. 

For me it goes original voice acting > silence > dub; no exceptions. 

On 7/6/2021 at 1:04 AM, PraiseTheFluppi said:

Maybe there are some exceptions, people who pick their favorite language or one they are learning for example? 1f914.png
An exception for me that comes to mind is resident evil. It's a japanese game, but the characters are american, so the original voice over just doesn't fit very well.

When it comes to Resident Evil, I think the voice acting was always (and still is) meant to be in English. It wasn't until much later in the series that they added dubs in other languages, I believe.

I started putting all my games in English with English subtitles to get better at it a few years ago and I haven't changed since  

Really depends on the game. Some games, specifically anime-type games I find, the English voices are annoying. So I'll switch to Japanese or Chinese. This is a step up from my normal habit of looking for the 'shut all the damn voices off' button, but those have been getting harder and harder to find as the gaming generations have carried on.

One major exception, if I happen upon a rare golden goose game that has a Deutsch voice-tract I'll switch to it without a second thought. I just like how the language sounds.

Pretty much always play games in English, but most animes I'll watch in Jap with English subtitles.