An overlooked FMV gem

I haven't seen many people talking about this game, and in all honesty, I probably would have missed out on it if it wasn't on sale recently. These types of interactive movies should be familiar to those who enjoy Wales Interactive's brand of FMV games, as this is actually a spin-off of characters from The Shapeshifting Detective, and there is an indirect connection to The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker (though you don't need to play either to enjoy this one). I'd describe it as an episodic mystery thriller with elements of horror and sci-fi, similar to The X-Files with a dash of Twin Peaks weirdness thrown in. I have a huge crush on Ellis Munro (Leah Cunard), though I've found it's easy to fall in love with these FMV actresses (and I've played a ton). It's also one of the few games where I felt I earned the platinum too early, and I kept replaying episodes long afterwards just to try different options and unlock new scenes. Really hoping they make more of these, so I'm just trying to get the word out.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I totally agree with you. I saw this and had it for reserved for a while until I played The Shapeshifting Detective and upon digging more about the actors - my fave is actually Aislinn De'ath who plays Violet Gallacher in both the prequel and the sequel.  I like the way this FMV showed the story behind the relationship between John and Ellis that directly ties up with TSD.  My next game is Doctor Dekker - which is going to be a chore with all that text inputting and all. How I wished that it played much more similar with the therapy scene.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 12/31/2021 at 8:15 AM, Eispan said:

I totally agree with you. I saw this and had it for reserved for a while until I played The Shapeshifting Detective and upon digging more about the actors - my fave is actually Aislinn De'ath who plays Violet Gallacher in both the prequel and the sequel.  I like the way this FMV showed the story behind the relationship between John and Ellis that directly ties up with TSD.  My next game is Doctor Dekker - which is going to be a chore with all that text inputting and all. How I wished that it played much more similar with the therapy scene.

Just bought this game and I have TSD and Doctor Dekker in my backlog (bought them ages ago and have yet to play them). Which game comes first in the story? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I actually enjoyed this game and the characters. It made me wish there was a real late night radio program on that told stories and dealt with strange things or something.

The skip scenes feature didn't seem to work until I completed ALL episodes, so maybe it's better to do that rather than restart each chapter for trophies as you do them. 

When the other two games are on sale I may have to play them, too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 31/01/2023 at 0:15 AM, yowzagabowza said:

I actually enjoyed this game and the characters. It made me wish there was a real late night radio program on that told stories and dealt with strange things or something.

There actually is a spin-off called Dark Nights With Poe and Munro from the same guys who did the earlier two FMVs.  It was not released via Wales Interactive though, D' Avekki Studios seems to went their own way with this one. Cost only under a tenner at the PSN Store.